View Full Version : Recumbent bicycle...any experience?

Kaneman
06-27-2009, 01:26 PM
For the same reason I traded my FZ1 for a Magna I'm thinking about selling my Trek 1000 road bike for a recumbent bicycle. I can't ride my Trek road bike or mountain bike without all the pressure on my taint making the my pelvic area go numb...which, of the most concern, includes my boys. Very scary.

I ride pretty much everyday as I live right next to one of the entrances to the Trinity Trail system in Fort Worth. Sometimes we ride 5 miles, sometimes we ride 20 miles...just depends on what we're doing.

I love my road bike, it weighs practically nothing and is very fast and responsive. I have the clip-in shoes and all that jazz. But man, it really worries me when I know my bloodflow has been cut off. I've tried a couple of different seats with no luck. I don't know if this is an age thing or maybe because I have giant supple testicals...who knows.

Anyway, I want to see if anyone here rides a recumbent bike and if they like it or not. I'd want to be able to maneuver in the downtown area as well as hit the trails. The first problem I can see with one is being able to jump over curbs...
________
Csi forum (http://www.tv-gossip.com/csi/)

Dave
06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
always anted to try one. Never ever see em in the city though

derf
06-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Tried one once, I fell twice

Apoc
06-27-2009, 05:13 PM
get a more comfortable seat for your bike...

I know a guy work with who has a recumbant. Said he only switched because hs back is really bad, and that it really isnt good for any kind of aggressive riding.

Apoc
06-27-2009, 05:15 PM
oh, sorry, mssed the part where you said you tried different seats.

Cass
06-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Ping ASDGirl if she doesn't find this thread.. she used to spend a decent amount of time in a recumbent... but I want to say she was in a tandem.

HRCNICK11
06-27-2009, 10:07 PM
You might want to pay the price and get fitted for a correct seat. I have been told that it makes all the difference in the world. They say that the seats need to be sized to your pelvic bones and everyones are different.

I would hope if your riding a trek that you already have real good shorts the padding in the high quality shorts makes a ton of difference. I have the tight shorts but also wear quick dry columbia shorts over them cause no one wants to see my fat ass in spandex.