PDA

View Full Version : Mock Box Intake

Digifox
06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Before you even read this im being SERIOUS and i want Input not just smart ass comments

Okay so i know all the newer bikes have a Ram air Intake with a big arse Box...
And my Bike HAD a pressurized Box, But it sucked to i ripped it out:D
And i do NOT want to put pods on it, so At the moment im running OPEN carbs with nothing but the Rubber things for the airbox(They are the only thing for an EX250 that even Resembles Vorticity stacks, And they go make it run better)

And im quite happy with the performance, But i have Two Problems:

1.being No filter
2. the CVK is supposedly effected by slightest breeze

So what i was thinking is maybe make a Small Box like http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/GPz750/P6270005.jpg Only instead of the runners just holes That my Intake booties will fit in so i still get the funneled airflow(runs like SHIT without them) and then run a hose up around the Rad. with a Filter on it, so its like a Cold air intake

Idea From This
http://www.rbinnovations.com/v/vspfiles/photos/RBAF6-2.jpg
Pay NO attention to the Supercharger on the Two stroke:wtfru:

Or Maybe just a box with the filter stuck out the side?

Input Please
Will this actually Work Or will it just be a waste of time and make the bike run like shit?

Cos' the way it sits i can go from 2k putting to 12k without a single problem
Tried it with out the intake boots, Stumbles and doesn't want to go....
Since the Intake boots are Tapered and have a Wide mouth

Dave
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
give it a shot. cant hurt

Amber Lamps
06-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I think that you still need to at least make the box to hold some kind of foam pre-filter or something to keep debris and bugs out of your motor. Of course, you could just modify the stock air box with a couple holes in the top. Start small and make them larger/more numerous until you get the effect you're after. Heck, there may already be a mod for this on the net. Do a search and see what you get.

was92v
06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I understand the hassle of dealing with a stock airbox, but
Why not use individual filters or a single with 2 flanges? ie K&N?

BobTheBiker
06-28-2009, 04:09 PM
the K&N filters REQUIRE rejetting on a CVK carb and you still dont get optimal power, so you're LOSING no matter how you look at it.

same issue if you tried a cold air intake, it'd pressurize the air comin in to a degree, which will make it run like shit.

go back to your stck airbox. yeah, its a pain in the ass to work on the bike with it, I know, but its the best for optimal power and reliability.

zed
06-28-2009, 08:56 PM
the K&N filters REQUIRE rejetting on a CVK carb and you still dont get optimal power, so you're LOSING no matter how you look at it.

same issue if you tried a cold air intake, it'd pressurize the air comin in to a degree, which will make it run like shit.

go back to your stck airbox. yeah, its a pain in the ass to work on the bike with it, I know, but its the best for optimal power and reliability.

this is the answer here.

if you are trying to do some kind of ram air you push more air through the carb but you have to also pressurize the float bowl too.

pods and CV's don't really mix well either, lots of work won't even help.

was92v
06-28-2009, 09:39 PM
this is the answer here.

if you are trying to do some kind of ram air you push more air through the carb but you have to also pressurize the float bowl too.

pods and CV's don't really mix well either, lots of work won't even help.

Anything besides the stock airbox will require a lot of changes to the carbs. The least amount of changes required to achieve a performance boost on the EX is K&N's and a jet kit. If the bike is running great now, without any air filter at all, then it will work with individual filters just the same. If the issue is that the air horns need to be on the carbs to run right, you buy filters that are large enough that they will fit inside the filter. It's been done before.
Or stretch the toes of panty hose over each one, and pop a couple of rubber bands on there to hold em on and call it a day. :)
Don't really do that. I did once on a 2-stroke. Sucked them right into and through the engine and blew them out the exhaust. That was how I knew when it happened, they hung on the baffle tips and they were waving out the end like little flags that said "Dumb Ass....
A four stroke would not tolerate that very well.

The EX does not have a pressurized air box, it just has an air box. To build a pressurized box and then tune the carbs to work with it is a very complex thing to work out and get right. Routing the bowl vents to the air box is just the beginning, all of the tuning starts after that.
I guess if Digifox is just wanting a project to work on, it would be something the give months of fun and frustration. However if the intention is to actually ride the thing before next summer, I would put the designing, building and tuning a pressurized ram air system on slow simmer and just figure out a way to get some filtered air into the engine.

No Worries
06-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Supposedly, the factory spends a lot of time designing the air box to fit in it's space and provide decent performance from idle to redline. If your stock air box has a removable lid to get at the air filter, taking it off may give you the best performance. If you don't like the CV carbs, you may be able to get non-CV carbs (pre-1979 or so) from ebay. Might even have better jetting.

Digifox
06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Supposedly, the factory spends a lot of time designing the air box to fit in it's space and provide decent performance from idle to redline. If your stock air box has a removable lid to get at the air filter, taking it off may give you the best performance. If you don't like the CV carbs, you may be able to get non-CV carbs (pre-1979 or so) from ebay. Might even have better jetting.

Indeed it does but the snorkel, Without it REALLY ran like shit pop-Pow-Bang Backfire?!

With the lid it Ran, But struggled with FAST acceleration(that was the Tune i know)

Without the Little Rubber thinks from the airbox it runs like Shit

So far the best its run is open With the airbow boots, With a Pod...I lose those and its Back to a Flat intake surface...
Like i Said the boots are Tappered and give an Effect LIKE Velocity Stacks.

I was told by the guy that Built the Box Above

i dont know that running a hose up to the front of the bike would really do a whole lot for you. There is a good bit that goes into setting up a ram air system. If you just want a plenum and a "cold air" setup i would make it suck air from under the seat area. It may be easier to fabricate that way.

And I looked at going Flat slide....But Mehh:skep:

BobTheBiker
06-28-2009, 11:44 PM
if your bike ran poorly with the stock air filter, you have other problems that need to be addressed. I'd suspect poor carb tuning, or more likely, a clogged air filter. or both.
I'd adjust the valves, and do a full service to see how much improvement comes from it.

Digifox
06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
if your bike ran poorly with the stock air filter, you have other problems that need to be addressed. I'd suspect poor carb tuning, or more likely, a clogged air filter. or both.
I'd adjust the valves, and do a full service to see how much improvement comes from it.

With the lid it Ran, But struggled with FAST acceleration(that was the Tune i know)

~Face-Palm~

BobTheBiker
06-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I grasp that, BUT, you're not seeing what I'm trying to say. its probable that your pilot screws need to be adjusted to help make it run right, 2.5 turns out running stock everythng and it SHOULD run much better.

all this pods shit is just fucking up your bikes design from the get go. dont bother with that shit