PDA

View Full Version : Sidewinder Sprockets

Mr Lefty
04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Sidewinder has released a new sprocket made of Titanium... that carries a LIFETIME WARRANTY... seriously "100% Guaranteed for life" wear it out... they'll give you another at no charge

Standard sized fronts list for 89.99
rears run 159.99
http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/titaniumII-sprockets.html
http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/images/Picture1a3.gif

what do ya'll think? interesting in my book...

Trip
04-04-2008, 08:10 AM
interesting... That's pretty pricey though, you pretty much have to be deadset in your gearing to spend that kinda money on it.

Mr Lefty
04-04-2008, 08:22 AM
yeah that's kinda what I was think'n...

marko138
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Little too pricey for me.

Phenix_Rider
04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
That lifetime warranty is cool. I spoke to them at a show and they said "You break it, we'll replace it- doesn't matter how."

JoJoYZF
04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
That is pretty cool but for anyone who is even considering buying a new bike at any point in the near future its too expensive.

Phenix_Rider
04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
That is pretty cool but for anyone who is even considering buying a new bike at any point in the near future its too expensive.

Not if you keep the old bike

JoJoYZF
04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Not if you keep the old bike

Good point smart ass

Amber Lamps
04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I had their tri-metal sprocket and it was sweet. I left i on my 03GSXR1000 like an idiot! I had 20,000 miles on it with little wear. The only doubt I have may sound dumb but I "felt" that my chains were wearing prematurely.:idk:

Gas Man
04-05-2008, 01:37 AM
price is a matter of POV.

If the part is top notch and made in USA...

WORTH IT!

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 02:03 AM
true... but like trip said... you'd better be dead set in your gearing... or have a fat wallet to buy a couple combos :lol:

Amber Lamps
04-05-2008, 03:22 AM
I haven't changed gearing in a street bike since '97 and I was probably stupid to do it then. The factories spends millions on research to determine the best set-up for "all around street riding" and that's the type of riding I do so why fuck with it?

BTW the fine print on the "lifetime warranty" states that you must use their chain the entire time to qualify. On the positive side,you would save money in just a couple years if you are their target customer. They aren't marketing to guys that run stock steel sprockets. They are after the "rotating mass" weight saving guys. The guys that buy aluminum sprockets. A decent AL sprocket costs $50-60 and up. I've had an alum sprocket wear out in one or two tire changes. When I lived in Mi,I went thru 2-3 rear tires and a front or two per season. Basically,I'd kill 2 alum sprockets a year. In two years ...paid for and then it's gravy! Besides if you stick to the same bike like me ( '01,'03 and '06 GSXR1000)and aren't stupid like me,you'll move the sprocket from bike to bike.

WARputer
04-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Tigger...I re-geared mine ....added 3 teeth in the rear 'cause I wanted more acceleration and could give a crap about the top speed. Where the Hell am I ever gonna go 186 mph anyway.:idk:

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 03:33 AM
well I kicked down my gearing cause I don't really need the top end north of 120 anyhow... so why not kick it down and have that in the more daily useable area?

and I don't think they come from the factory with the best setup for the street... it's now the performance... either most hp or top speed...

WARputer
04-05-2008, 03:38 AM
Oh yeah...forgot to mention ...those sprockets are expensive as Hell !!! My last set was like $18 front & $60 for the rear and I got almost 20K miles out of them. The friggin' chains ain't cheap though.

Amber Lamps
04-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Oh yeah...forgot to mention ...those sprockets are expensive as Hell !!! My last set was like $18 front & $60 for the rear and I got almost 20K miles out of them. The friggin' chains ain't cheap though.

yayyyy! New arguement!

1. just so I understand,you felt you needed "more acceleration" from a 'Busa?
2. you are stating that you get 20,000 miles from an ALUMINUM sprocket on your 'busa?
3. I never discussed the front,I've only replaced front sprockets in the past because I was told I "had" to. My '03 had 42,000 miles on it,no front sprocket change. Rear sprocket once to the Tri metal.
4. you don't think that there are consequences to regearing you bike? What about fuel efficiency? Making your bike run higher revs to maintain the same mph? Ah I'm tired...I'll better arrange my thoughts when I'm not freshly laid and I've gotten some sleep.

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Dear god... we need an argument corner for Tigger...

we can call it the Ring... where everyone goes rounds with Tigger...

then again... he always seems to lose... :lol:

marko138
04-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Gearing change FTW. Tigger FTL.

Amber Lamps
04-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Dear god... we need an argument corner for Tigger...

we can call it the Ring... where everyone goes rounds with Tigger...

then again... he always seems to lose... :lol:

LOSE!?! Did you not admit that Icon has gear that is non-flashy AND that you were arguing with me about it WITHOUT ever even fully exploring what they offered? Just like ALOT of your friends,you form opinions without any experience in the subject and then debate the matter based purely on hearsay and the attitudes of your compatriots who also haven't any experience in the matter. Or even worse,you come out against me without even reading my entire post. Like when you "didn't notice" that I've used Teknics gear for years and the HQ was by my house.

Icon thread; I hear you got some Teknic pants and they were,shall we say sub-standard. I just got Icon pants and they were fucking awesome!!!

Track thread; some of you have said that bike to bike contact is rare. I was just talking to my friend who goes to VIR almost every other weekend and he says that shit happens almost every track day he's been to AND he was just taken out three weeks ago by some clown who claimed to be "intermediate" and was doing half the typical speed on turn 5.

Helmet thread; I've owned dozens of helmets from companys some of you have never even heard of;Bell,Vetter,Lazer,Bieffe,OGK,FM,Zamp,Scorpion,H JC,
Sparx,Icon,Arai,Shoei,Akuma,AGV,Dainese,I'm sure I'm missing someone. Anyway,how many different brands of helmets have you owned? Two? Maybe three? Yet you think you're an expert,right? You think you know who makes the best helmets because your buddys told you,right? All I've ever tried to do is open up the closed tight minds of some of you guys.

Gearing change FTW. Tigger FTL.

what's FTL? I'd guess it's "fuck that loser" is that right?

6doublefive321
04-05-2008, 04:05 PM
You guys do know that gearing changes are just another way for the man to keep the brothers down, don't you? :wink:

WARputer
04-05-2008, 04:06 PM
yayyyy! New arguement!

1. just so I understand,you felt you needed "more acceleration" from a 'Busa?
2. you are stating that you get 20,000 miles from an ALUMINUM sprocket on your 'busa?
3. I never discussed the front,I've only replaced front sprockets in the past because I was told I "had" to. My '03 had 42,000 miles on it,no front sprocket change. Rear sprocket once to the Tri metal.
4. you don't think that there are consequences to regearing you bike? What about fuel efficiency? Making your bike run higher revs to maintain the same mph? Ah I'm tired...I'll better arrange my thoughts when I'm not freshly laid and I've gotten some sleep.

1 Uh yes ....never know when you're gonna be next to a Veyron .
2 No ..steel
3 :idk:
4 no...... it a damn missles on wheels....people actually care about mpg ?:whistle:

marko138
04-05-2008, 04:10 PM
what's FTL? I'd guess it's "fuck that loser" is that right?

For The Loss, kid.

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
it was a joke kid... and my argument... for the 1000th time... wasn't saying Icon was crap... it was that they don't have the rep that Teknic and A*'s has... and that they're products as a whole are flashier than most others.

and yeah FTW is for the win. FTL is For the loss....

I used to think it was FUCK THE WORLD! and couldn't figure out FTL was either :lol:

Amber Lamps
04-05-2008, 09:22 PM
1 Uh yes ....never know when you're gonna be next to a Veyron .
2 No ..steel
3 :idk:
4 no...... it a damn missles on wheels....people actually care about mpg ?:whistle:

1. what the fuck is a "Veyron"? Is it anything like a moron?
2. Well,if you read my post,I was talking about ALUMINUM sprockets making a $159 Ti sprocket economically feasable and specifically said that it doesn't make sense to a steel sprocket user. Guys that purchase Alum sprockets care about weight savings. BTW most people only change gear ratio once.
3. I mentioned front sprockets to agree that $89 was way too much since fronts don't "seem" to wear out.
4. then why fuck with it? I was merely illustrating that running your bike at higher rpm can have adverse effects which include; lower gas mileage, increased engine wear,increased vibration,inacurate speedometer,confused engine/fuel mapping,etc. Like I said,I ride my bike all the time in various capacities and don't want to narrow it's focus further by modifying the gear ratios.

The engineers spend hours,days,weeks developing the trans,engine control computer and gearing to find an all around good working compromise. For example,an engine might have a definitive rise in vibration at 7000 pm. So the designers set the trans and gearing so that at 70 mph the engine spins at let's say 6500 rpm in 6th gear thus avoiding dead hands and feet after a freeway jaunt. After you installed sprockets with two more teeth in the rear and one less in the front. It spins at 8500 70mph in 6th gear. Now you have sleeping hands and you've lost 5mpg in fuel economy. Yea it's real smart to set your bike up for that one in a hundred rides "Veyron" race and sacrifice your day to day comfort and over all capabilities. Sure.

WARputer
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
2. Well,if you read my post,I was talking about ALUMINUM sprockets making a $159 Ti sprocket economically feasable and specifically said that it doesn't make sense to a steel sprocket user. Guys that purchase Alum sprockets care about weight savings. BTW most people only change gear ratio once.
3. I mentioned front sprockets to agree that $89 was way too much since fronts don't "seem" to wear out.
4. then why fuck with it? I was merely illustrating that running your bike at higher rpm can have adverse effects which include; lower gas mileage, increased engine wear,increased vibration,inacurate speedometer,confused engine/fuel mapping,etc. Like I said,I ride my bike all the time in various capacities and don't want to narrow it's focus further by modifying the gear ratios.

The engineers spend hours,days,weeks developing the trans,engine control computer and gearing to find an all around good working compromise. For example,an engine might have a definitive rise in vibration at 7000 pm. So the designers set the trans and gearing so that at 70 mph the engine spins at let's say 6500 rpm in 6th gear thus avoiding dead hands and feet after a freeway jaunt. After you installed sprockets with two more teeth in the rear and one less in the front. It spins at 8500 70mph in 6th gear. Now you have sleeping hands and you've lost 5mpg in fuel economy. Yea it's real smart to set your bike up for that one in a hundred rides "Veyron" race and sacrifice your day to day comfort and over all capabilities. Sure.

All valid points...I actually agree with you. Main reason I changed gear ratio....I have a buddy with an 02 Busa, he has high a high $$ 4-2-1 exhaust, PC III , stretched , custom map from dyno runs, exhaust valve mod and an ass load of other crap. I was tired off him leaving me in the dust ....OK , maybe not that bad, but he would pull away from me at a decent rate. So I did a cheap and easy mod.....rear sprocket. Now.....I'm right there with him and I spent 90% less $$$ than he did.

6doublefive321
04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Here's a thought. Lets say two guys have identical bikes. One guy commutes on the interstate back and forth 20 miles and averages about 80 mph on the trip. We'll call this guy Tigger. Another guy, rides 20 miles to work, but cuts across a mountain, and averages 60 mph on his commute. We'll call this guy Warputer. Now, Tigger, since he rides on the interstate, likes his gearing. If you don't believe me, ask him. Warputer, on the other hand, wants a little more torque since he avoids the highway, and stays lower in the rpm range during his commute. Warputer makes a change, which results in 20% change in the gearing towards the lower side. Now, even though the two bikes have significantly different gearing, they are running at the same rpm range through the commute.

The point being, if someone lowered their gearing, they are probably riding at lower speeds, and any additional wear and tear from increased engine speeds will most likely be negligible.

In the end, gearing is just like jacket designs, oil, bike brands, and women. It is personal preference. No one is right, and no one is wrong.

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
very good point...

WARputer
04-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Genius !!!

marko138
04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's a thought. Lets say two guys have identical bikes. One guy commutes on the interstate back and forth 20 miles and averages about 80 mph on the trip. We'll call this guy Tigger. Another guy, rides 20 miles to work, but cuts across a mountain, and averages 60 mph on his commute. We'll call this guy Warputer. Now, Tigger, since he rides on the interstate, likes his gearing. If you don't believe me, ask him. Warputer, on the other hand, wants a little more torque since he avoids the highway, and stays lower in the rpm range during his commute. Warputer makes a change, which results in 20% change in the gearing towards the lower side. Now, even though the two bikes have significantly different gearing, they are running at the same rpm range through the commute.

The point being, if someone lowered their gearing, they are probably riding at lower speeds, and any additional wear and tear from increased engine speeds will most likely be negligible.

In the end, gearing is just like jacket designs, oil, bike brands, and women. It is personal preference. No one is right, and no one is wrong.
Greatest post of all time.

Quick281
04-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Greatest post of all time.

Wurd.

Amber Lamps
04-07-2008, 10:13 AM

Ya know,I've been ignoring this post as it's from the Neo-Nazi member of the forum but since you all have "Zieg Heiled" along with him,here goes...
I would find it hard to believe that you all don't see the fundimental flaw in this line of reasoning but I have to consider what and whom I'm dealing with here; my total argument revolves around keeping my bike a more all around package. Not strictly for this imaginary commute,not strictly as a canyon carving race bike wanna be and not as a street drag racer.

I originately was simply trying to show that if you use aluminum sprockets and were keeping your bike for over 2 years,a $159 Ti sprocket with a "lifetime" guarantee would be a good deal. Someone countered with the premise of gearing changes to prove my supposition false and here we are. I honestly consider gearing changes pointless unless you are using your bike for some specific purpose that requires it like racing,stunting,top speed runs,etc. I absolutely don't see any reason for multiple gearing changes on a street bike. I would like to think that the person making these changes woud pick his sprocket sizes based on extensive data and not in a "willy-nilly" ,hit or miss fashion.

The engine produces a certain amount of hp(horse power) and torque at any given rpm. It also produces a given amount of vibration and burns a given amount of fuel. The job of the transmission, gear ratio and engine management system is to put that power to the ground considering all of the given parameters. The design team takes all the engine data and designs a trans/gearing package that will utilize that particular engine's characteristics to produce the best compromise to accomodate ALL of that model's intended purposes. To provide the rider with the best all around package for that models intended purpose.

I guess what I mostly fail to comprehend is why you don't just run a lower gear in whatever scenario you're putting forth. If a gearing change "fixes" some supposed deficiency in your bike's power output,wouldn't simply using a lower gear suffice? The point is to be at a certain rpm at a certain speed to achieve maximun acceleration,isn't it?

Lastly,there is such a thing as right and wrong. Some oils are demostratably better than others. Some bikes are better than others,especially in certain catagories. Some types of women are more attractive than others. Some jacket designs offer more protection. Period.

marko138
04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Tiggs....Wouldn't gearing changes be making the bike more suitable to the individual user? So you want an all around package. Myself, I dont commute or ride highways on my bike. Ever. I just don't do it. I ride back roads and tracks. Period. At the track...I hit 4th gear once. To me...I dont need the top end. I'd rather have better accleration down low. So I'll sacrifice the top speed and lower RPM's at cruising speed.

Amber Lamps
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Tiggs....Wouldn't gearing changes be making the bike more suitable to the individual user? So you want an all around package. Myself, I dont commute or ride highways on my bike. Ever. I just don't do it. I ride back roads and tracks. Period. At the track...I hit 4th gear once. To me...I dont need the top end. I'd rather have better accleration down low. So I'll sacrifice the top speed and lower RPM's at cruising speed.

True enough. Besides,your bike is a little different in that, when I had a pre-fuel injection bike, I also changed my gearing for the same reasons. My '95 FZR1000 had maybe a 2000 rpm peak hp "plateau". My bike now has a much longer usable area making gearing changes unnecessary,IMHO. Now that bikes have Fi and sophisticated computer systems that take into account; rpm,speed,throttle position,gear,etc,I just don't think it's needed on a street bike. Anyway, will someone please agree with me that if you use aluminum sprockets and are keeping your bike for a few years,that a $159 lifetime sprocket makes sense? Considering that was my original arguement before I got dragged off into this senseless debate.

6doublefive321
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Ya know,I've been ignoring this post as it's from the Neo-Nazi member of the forum but since you all have "Zieg Heiled" along with him,here goes...
I would find it hard to believe that you all don't see the fundimental flaw in this line of reasoning but I have to consider what and whom I'm dealing with here; my total argument revolves around keeping my bike a more all around package. Not strictly for this imaginary commute,not strictly as a canyon carving race bike wanna be and not as a street drag racer.

I originately was simply trying to show that if you use aluminum sprockets and were keeping your bike for over 2 years,a $159 Ti sprocket with a "lifetime" guarantee would be a good deal. Someone countered with the premise of gearing changes to prove my supposition false and here we are. I honestly consider gearing changes pointless unless you are using your bike for some specific purpose that requires it like racing,stunting,top speed runs,etc. I absolutely don't see any reason for multiple gearing changes on a street bike. I would like to think that the person making these changes woud pick his sprocket sizes based on extensive data and not in a "willy-nilly" ,hit or miss fashion.

The engine produces a certain amount of hp(horse power) and torque at any given rpm. It also produces a given amount of vibration and burns a given amount of fuel. The job of the transmission, gear ratio and engine management system is to put that power to the ground considering all of the given parameters. The design team takes all the engine data and designs a trans/gearing package that will utilize that particular engine's characteristics to produce the best compromise to accomodate ALL of that model's intended purposes. To provide the rider with the best all around package for that models intended purpose.

I guess what I mostly fail to comprehend is why you don't just run a lower gear in whatever scenario you're putting forth. If a gearing change "fixes" some supposed deficiency in your bike's power output,wouldn't simply using a lower gear suffice? The point is to be at a certain rpm at a certain speed to achieve maximun acceleration,isn't it?

Lastly,there is such a thing as right and wrong. Some oils are demostratably better than others. Some bikes are better than others,especially in certain catagories. Some types of women are more attractive than others. Some jacket designs offer more protection. Period.

True enough. Besides,your bike is a little different in that, when I had a pre-fuel injection bike, I also changed my gearing for the same reasons. My '95 FZR1000 had maybe a 2000 rpm peak hp "plateau". My bike now has a much longer usable area making gearing changes unnecessary,IMHO. Now that bikes have Fi and sophisticated computer systems that take into account; rpm,speed,throttle position,gear,etc,I just don't think it's needed on a street bike. Anyway, will someone please agree with me that if you use aluminum sprockets and are keeping your bike for a few years,that a $159 lifetime sprocket makes sense? Considering that was my original arguement before I got dragged off into this senseless debate.

I don't see a fundamental flaw in the reasoning, and you yourself somewhat agreed to the concept. If, in my riding, I use a different part of the power band, above or below the bike's sweet spot, I will probably make a gearing change. If not, I won't.

And to answer your question, I fully agree that a $159 lifetime sprocket is a marketing gimmick, and for 90% of the riders out there, there would never be a payback. God, I'd like to know how much money has been made over the years because something was sold with a lifetime warranty.

Dnyce
04-07-2008, 03:18 PM

just my two cents- most guys that really care about the weight savings of a aluminum sprocket are also guys that make gearing changes more often than a commuter guy. those are also usually the same guys that add a slip on, then a full sys, pc, stacks, etc etc. at each modification step, the bike makes more power, and/or the powerband changes, so if you had the perfect ratio when you started-now you need to change it. i dont know how sprocket changes mess with your mapping tho. could be true, but dont make sense. and you missed the one reason that negates the reasons you mentioned-more horsepower! lol

veyrons are sweet, but its more like a 1 in 10000 ride, an anyway i think it was a joke. as far as the dead hands thing-speed limits vary, and are rarely payed attn to as riders are usually more concerned with the flow of traffic. for instance, in a cycle world test of a new bike, they found that right at the cruising speed of 70mph-the engine was in its "really buzzy" spot. guess the designers fell asleep that time lol-and thats not the first time thats happened

you say you dont want to narrow its focus-but actually by changing sprockets based on what you're doing-you can maximize your bikes potential at the track, canyon, stunting, commute and dragstrip. sprocket change takes like 15-20min, lift it up, chain adj's, axle, 6-8nuts, reverse process done deal.

im not gonna comment on the ti sprocket for my personal use, like i already mentioned, as the engine makes more power, the gear ratio needs to change. plus i like to experiment.

Amber Lamps
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
There's only one thing I want to know...when the FUCK did I
become the forum commuter? Why does everyone reference me that way? I club raced for quite a few years. I appear in two stunt videos. More than half of my bike's miles are put on on back roads. I even went to the dragstrip every Wed for a while for test and tune when I had my 'Busa.

Motherfuckers,I never said that a $159 sprocket was perfect for everyone did I? I said if you use aluminum sprockets,are keeping your bike for a while AND if you're not changing your sprockets all the time like some people a Ti sprocket makes sense. Plus sprockets do not produce horsepower,Jesus. They merely move the hp up and down the speedo in a certain gear,at a given rpm.As far as the "lifetime" warranty goes,I've also said it was crap BUT if the Ti sprocket only last as long as 4 aluminum sprockets,IT STILL PAID FOR ITSELF! Not everyone enjoys changing sprockets when they get home from the "commute" so they can go stunting,or ride the back roads,or hit the dragstrip. I can do anything with my bike adequately for my needs but then I'm not dragging my tail doing 12oclocks,dragging knees on public roads or dragracing my friends on city streets... apparently,I'm not as cool as you guys!

6doublefive321
04-07-2008, 05:34 PM

Ooops. Sorry Tigger. I mis-read your post originally (us Neo Nazis are poorly educated) about the payback of a "lifetime" sprocket. If someone keeps a bike several years, and puts bookoos of miles on the bike, the lifetime sprocket would make sense. But, I have been riding since I was 8, and have only changed out 2 sets of sprockets in 30 years. So, for me, a lifetime sprocket would not have a payback. So I both agree and disagree. Maybe I should run for office.

Amber Lamps
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Ooops. Sorry Tigger. I mis-read your post originally (us Neo Nazis are poorly educated) about the payback of a "lifetime" sprocket. If someone keeps a bike several years, and puts bookoos of miles on the bike, the lifetime sprocket would make sense. But, I have been riding since I was 8, and have only changed out 2 sets of sprockets in 30 years. So, for me, a lifetime sprocket would not have a payback. So I both agree and disagree. Maybe I should run for office.

DO YOU USE ALUMINUM SPROCKETS? IF NOT,I NEVER SAID IT MAKES SENSE FOR YOU! Aluminum sprockets don't last "boo koos" miles in my experience. BTW if in 30 years you've only changed sprocket sets twice,you should take time off from "Rallys" and ride more or take better care of your bikes. Also,I believe David Dukes is looking for a runnng mate,maybe you can hook-up with him...

6doublefive321
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
DO YOU USE ALUMINUM SPROCKETS? IF NOT,I NEVER SAID IT MAKES SENSE FOR YOU! Aluminum sprockets don't last "boo koos" miles in my experience. BTW if in 30 years you've only changed sprocket sets twice,you should take time off from "Rallys" and ride more or take better care of your bikes. Also,I believe David Dukes is looking for a runnng mate,maybe you can hook-up with him...

What do you want, man? You asked for someone to agree with you, and I did conditionally. I'm at a loss here. The next time I need some advice about bikes, relationships, gear, or anything else, I'll be sure to ask you, as you obviously have all the answers for everything and you are unconditionally 100% correct 100% of the time. Even your opinions are more right than others' opinions. I'm done.

Quick281
04-08-2008, 01:44 AM

There is such a thing as right and wrong, but you failed to correctly apply it.

Other than oil testing, I am pretty sure the rest of them are a matter of opinion. Even then, some people would debate oil test results. Yes each one of those have different attributes, but in the end it is up to the end user to decide which attributes are the most important to them and to judge for themselves as to which best suits their needs. Women, Bikes, and Jackets are all matters of opinions. None of them are right or wrong. But, we can firmly conclude the above conclusion as false.:willy::whistle:

ceo012384
04-08-2008, 03:12 AM
Besides all the nancys arguing with eachother, especially tigs and his homoerotic tendencies, those are some fucking expensive sprockets.

marko138
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Tigger, please unwad your panties and fucking relax.

Amber Lamps
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
There is such a thing as right and wrong, but you failed to correctly apply it.

Other than oil testing, I am pretty sure the rest of them are a matter of opinion. Even then, some people would debate oil test results. Yes each one of those have different attributes, but in the end it is up to the end user to decide which attributes are the most important to them and to judge for themselves as to which best suits their needs. Women, Bikes, and Jackets are all matters of opinions. None of them are right or wrong. But, we can firmly conclude the above conclusion as false.:willy::whistle:

NO! Some things are truth,Jessica Alba is more attractive than Rosie O'Donnel,a test could be done to prove one jacket's effectiveness over anothers,a ZX10 has more hp than a GSXR1000 or a CBR1000rr is lighter than a R1-in those catagories one bike is better than another,one quart of oil costs $1000 but lasts forever-the other costs $1 and only lasts 1000 miles- you can make all kinds of cases and justifications for using the $1 oil but the fact will still remain that the $1000 oil is BETTER! Just because you can't afford a BMW does not mean that it's not a better car than a Kia. Opinion does not outweigh fact. Your budget doesn't change fact. What your buddys think doesn't change fact. Who states the fact doesn't stop it from being fact.

The bottom line for me is,if I was on here posting the "sky is blue",there are certain members who would reply things like; " there are clouds so it's blue/white","it's night time in Korea so it's black"," the weather is bad here,so it's grey",etc. I know you all blame these "little wars" on me and my "homoerotic tendencies" but if you read my original premise with an open mind and forget who wrote it,you'll see that I'm right. You can throw all kinds of monkey wrenches in my supposition;1 out of 100 guys frequently change their sprockets,some guys don't ride enough to justify it,etc. The fact remains that if you use aluminum sprockets,and you ride enough to have to replace it twice a year,and you own your bike for more than two years,and you don't change your gearing frequently,a $159 Ti sprocket;providing that it lasts atleast as long as 4 alum sprockets and that alum sprockets cost at least $50 ea; makes sense. BTW I had a Sidewinder Tri-metal sprocket on my '03 GSXR1000 for over 30,000 miles. When I traded it in,it showed almost no wear whatsoever. I should have put it on this bike...

marko138
04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
The sky isn't neccessarily blue. Who says it's blue? Who defines blue? What is blue? Maybe grass is blue and we've been lied to all this time.

t-homo
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
The sky isn't neccessarily blue. Who says it's blue? Who defines blue? What is blue? Maybe grass is blue and we've been lied to all this time.

:rf:

Oh and Tigger, calm the fuck down. Despite popular belief the world isn't out to get you.

NeonspeedRT
04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Who's on first....

t-homo
04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Who's on first....

What's on second.

NeonspeedRT
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
What's on second.

I don't know.

Dnyce
04-08-2008, 04:46 PM
this is pretty funny stuff to read

and btw-i didnt mean sprockets create more horsepower. im not fucking retarded lol-i was refering to you (tigger) saying "why run your bike at a higher rpm" reason-more hp. typically you have more power at 10k than 6k.

and yea -fuckin expensive

what was the point of this thread anyway? you could delete all the replys and just say-nice sprockets-kinda pricey. but then it would be the internet haha

Dnyce
04-08-2008, 05:05 PM
NO! Some things are truth,Jessica Alba is more attractive than Rosie O'Donnel,a test could be done to prove one jacket's effectiveness over anothers,a ZX10 has more hp than a GSXR1000 or a CBR1000rr is lighter than a R1-in those catagories one bike is better than another,one quart of oil costs $1000 but lasts forever-the other costs $1 and only lasts 1000 miles- you can make all kinds of cases and justifications for using the $1 oil but the fact will still remain that the $1000 oil is BETTER! Just because you can't afford a BMW does not mean that it's not a better car than a Kia. Opinion does not outweigh fact. Your budget doesn't change fact. What your buddys think doesn't change fact. Who states the fact doesn't stop it from being fact.

The bottom line for me is,if I was on here posting the "sky is blue",there are certain members who would reply things like; " there are clouds so it's blue/white","it's night time in Korea so it's black"," the weather is bad here,so it's grey",etc. I know you all blame these "little wars" on me and my "homoerotic tendencies" but if you read my original premise with an open mind and forget who wrote it,you'll see that I'm right. You can throw all kinds of monkey wrenches in my supposition;1 out of 100 guys frequently change their sprockets,some guys don't ride enough to justify it,etc. The fact remains that if you use aluminum sprockets,and you ride enough to have to replace it twice a year,and you own your bike for more than two years,and you don't change your gearing frequently,a $159 Ti sprocket;providing that it lasts atleast as long as 4 alum sprockets and that alum sprockets cost at least $50 ea; makes sense. BTW I had a Sidewinder Tri-metal sprocket on my '03 GSXR1000 for over 30,000 miles. When I traded it in,it showed almost no wear whatsoever. I should have put it on this bike...

im really bored, and i read this again, so i have to poke holes in it lol

jessica alba is more attractive than rosie o'donnell....to me and most straight guys and bi/lez girls. but some guys like fat chicks, and some chicks like butch/manly/ugly girls, they dont do the pretty girls. not a fact.

$1000 oil lasts forever, $1 oil last 1000miles....cant tell whats better based on just those two facts. less friction, how often you change filters, clutch packs, tear down the engine, and what you use it for determine which is better. not a fact.

skys not blue, its a reflection. thats a fact.

if you use aluminum sprockets,and you ride enough to have to replace it twice a year,and you own your bike for more than two years,and you don't change your gearing frequently,a $159 Ti sprocket;providing that it lasts atleast as long as 4 alum sprockets and that alum sprockets cost at least $50 ea; makes sense. fact.

you got one right lol-heres a star *, have a cookie. happy?

:ts: :D

Amber Lamps
04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
:rf:

Oh and Tigger, calm the fuck down. Despite popular belief the world isn't out to get you.

I didn't say the "whole world",I said certain members. Think I'm crazy? Look at threads I've started or actively participated in and see if it isn't the same guys always cutting me up. Whatever,I go back in for surgery in a couple weeks anyway so you won't be hearing from me again soon,if at all. Whatever...

this is pretty funny stuff to read

and btw-i didnt mean sprockets create more horsepower. im not fucking retarded lol-i was refering to you (tigger) saying "why run your bike at a higher rpm" reason-more hp. typically you have more power at 10k than 6k.

and yea -fuckin expensive

what was the point of this thread anyway? you could delete all the replys and just say-nice sprockets-kinda pricey. but then it would be the internet haha

where did I say "why run your bike at higher rpm?"? I said, "why change your gearing when you can use your transmission to run at higher rpm." That's why you have a trans. to keep your engine in the powerband at various speeds. This is what I mean,you read whatever you want.

[QUOTE=Dnyce;28853]just my two cents- most guys that really care about the weight savings of a aluminum sprocket are also guys that make gearing changes more often than a commuter guy. those are also usually the same guys that add a slip on, then a full sys, pc, stacks, etc etc. at each modification step, the bike makes more power, and/or the powerband changes, so if you had the perfect ratio when you started-now you need to change it. i dont know how sprocket changes mess with your mapping tho. could be true, but dont make sense. and you missed the one reason that negates the reasons you mentioned-more horsepower! lol
QUOTE]

are you sure you're not retarded?

Mr Lefty
04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I didn't say the "whole world",I said certain members. Think I'm crazy? Look at threads I've started or actively participated in and see if it isn't the same guys always cutting me up. Whatever,I go back in for surgery in a couple weeks anyway so you won't be hearing from me again soon,if at all. Whatever...

Tigger... just incase you grouped me in there... I'm not cutting ya up... shit even our "arguements" aren't anything more than discussions... at least from my stand point...

calm down... I personally enjoy your discussons... though I think you get a little wound up... :dthumb:

Amber Lamps
04-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Tigger... just incase you grouped me in there... I'm not cutting ya up... shit even our "arguements" aren't anything more than discussions... at least from my stand point...

calm down... I personally enjoy your discussons... though I think you get a little wound up... :dthumb:

psssssstttt...hey you,yeah you,ebbs,... c'mere.......I actually don't care....I'm just passing time until I'm stuck in the hospital again.....shhhhh don't tell anyone...it's amazing,a couple !'s and capital letters and people think you are angry!

Mr Lefty
04-09-2008, 12:02 AM
oh... ok... well then... FUCK OFF

Quick281
04-09-2008, 12:28 AM
NO! Some things are truth,Jessica Alba is more attractive than Rosie O'Donnel,a test could be done to prove one jacket's effectiveness over anothers,a ZX10 has more hp than a GSXR1000 or a CBR1000rr is lighter than a R1-in those catagories one bike is better than another,one quart of oil costs $1000 but lasts forever-the other costs $1 and only lasts 1000 miles- you can make all kinds of cases and justifications for using the $1 oil but the fact will still remain that the $1000 oil is BETTER!

I was going to read on, but I stopped there sensing an urgent need for help.

Yes those are true to a degree, but none of those decisions are clearly right or wrong.

Alba is hotter then O'Donnel, true. I agree with your opinion but its not right nor wrong.

-But somewhere, there are several carpet munching dykes that would rather use Alba for a tooth pick and O'Donnel as a main course.

A jacket's effectiveness right or wrong? Thats another fail bro.
By riding jacket, you need to find an aspect that we are discussing. The jacket as a whole cannot be right or wrong. Do you mean for protection from the 32 grit pavement that your body is sliding along, the temperature of the air, or the back end of a fucking school bus?

We could test the jacket in all of those tests and then find right or wrongs in which one would be better under any circumstance, but in general there would be no right or wrong.

Comparing bikes on horsepower and weight. Your getting better but you fucked up the takeoff on this flight.

Yes we can see which bikes make more horsepower and then say yes or no, as to which one is the most powerful or lighter. Those are facts that when compared, could be fount to be right or wrong in a better then other case. But using your example, is the bike with the most horsepower the best bike or is the bike that weighs the least? Neither, because then everyone would argue over everything else on the bike. What does this mean you ask? Well, it means that there is no right or wrong to bike selection.

The oil comparison was weak sauce too. You say the 1000$ oil lasts forever, and so its better? Last time I checked all of my oil lasted forever, I just changed it out because it was dirty and the filter had done the best it could to keep it clean. If this is your logic on oil, I would hate to see your logic on a babies diaper.

Now if you wanted to compare which oil is doing a better job of lubricating an engine, then with strict testing we could probably find one oil to be better then the other. But is that right? Well it would depend on which attribute of comparison was most important to the end user. But wtf, I said that last time and you argued with it.

On the bright side, I have a gallon of sand I will sell for 1 grand you as motor oil. I guarantee you that it will last forever and you will never need to change it out. Your logic indicates I can expect the payment shortly and that you will understand that your bike probably wont run for long, but thats not important because your oil will last forever and its da bestestestest

In end I don't know much about sprockets nor really give a shit about them at this point.

I just thought I would get in the action because your logic needed a band aid.

Oh I think the plane flying around my neighborhood with a "The world needs to Argue with Tigger, because we are out to get him" banner might have had something to do with it as well.:rofl:

Dnyce
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
where did I say "why run your bike at higher rpm?"? I said, "why change your gearing when you can use your transmission to run at higher rpm." That's why you have a trans. to keep your engine in the powerband at various speeds. This is what I mean,you read whatever you want.

[QUOTE=TIGGER;28318]4. then why fuck with it? I was merely illustrating that running your bike at higher rpm can have adverse effects which include; lower gas mileage, increased engine wear,increased vibration,inacurate speedometer,confused engine/fuel mapping,etc. Like I said,I ride my bike all the time in various capacities and don't want to narrow it's focus further by modifying the gear ratios.

i read what u fucking wrote.

just my two cents- most guys that really care about the weight savings of a aluminum sprocket are also guys that make gearing changes more often than a commuter guy. those are also usually the same guys that add a slip on, then a full sys, pc, stacks, etc etc. at each modification step, the bike makes more power, and/or the powerband changes, so if you had the perfect ratio when you started-now you need to change it. i dont know how sprocket changes mess with your mapping tho. could be true, but dont make sense. and you missed the one reason that negates the reasons you mentioned-more horsepower! lol
QUOTE]

are you sure you're not retarded?

number one i explained i wasnt talkin about the sprocket change making more power jackass, i repeat, i was referring to running at a higher rpm. and if that doesnt make sense then u must be fuckin retarded lol

and seriously, dont take this shit seriously. its all opinion, and quick just poked more holes in your twisted ass logic than i did as proof. ALL OPINION, dont sound so butthurt

Amber Lamps
04-09-2008, 01:48 AM
you're starting early...ok guess what,you can pick certain catagories to test and evaluate a products effectiveness in these catagories and find a clear winner. I mentioned protection for jackets so if a jacket can be PROVEN to protect (impact,temp,abrasion,whatever)better than another it is better in that catagory. Pick a catagory for oil comparison...thermal breakdown,let's say. If one oil keeps it's viscosity longer at temp it's better in that catagory regardless of other factors like price or whatever. You know it sounds like you guys are saying that nothing is better than something else. Sugar isn't sweeter than salt,black isn't darker than white,water isn't wetter than sand. Nope it's all opinions and up to the individual to decide...hmmmm so all the Honda guys crowing about the reviews of the new CBR1000RR don't count because it's up to every individual to decide what bike is best. Kansas isn't the best NCAA men's basketball team,it's my opinion that the University of Michigan was the best team this year!!! The 2006 GSXR1000 is the lightest,best handling,highest horsepower,highest torque,bike in the world! That's my opinion so it must be true! Cool! Whatever I think is the best is the best,I AM GOD!!!!

one more thing...if I haven't been singled out then tell me why whenever anyone actually agrees with me on anything,they preface their agreement with "I can't believe I'm agreeing with you...","the world must be coming to an end" or "hell must be freezing over"'etc? Hmmmmm?

Quick281
04-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Dude, wtf? Did you not read anything I wrote?

You just said everything I said as if I didn't know any of it.

Then you incorrectly summarize my response, I didn't say that something couldn't be better than anything else. I just pondered why the fuck you would try and state that there is such a thing as clear right and wrong without specifying the basis for the argument and then using such poor examples with too many variables. Then you end up telling me that information like I didn't know wtf was going on in the first place.

And if you hadn't yet figured it out, in the end opinions are like assholes. Everyone has them but some stink more then others. You have the right to your opinions as does everyone else. They are however meaningless like everyone elses, it just fun to compare them and then discuss.

I don't know what your saying about being singled out all the time because I am rather new to this crowd, I was just adding to the fun earlier. But usually when people feel singled out, its because they single themselves out somehow but they just think everyone else is responsible for it.

Amber Lamps
04-09-2008, 04:35 AM
Dude, wtf? Did you not read anything I wrote?

You just said everything I said as if I didn't know any of it.

Then you incorrectly summarize my response, I didn't say that something couldn't be better than anything else. I just pondered why the fuck you would try and state that there is such a thing as clear right and wrong without specifying the basis for the argument and then using such poor examples with too many variables. Then you end up telling me that information like I didn't know wtf was going on in the first place.

And if you hadn't yet figured it out, in the end opinions are like assholes. Everyone has them but some stink more then others. You have the right to your opinions as does everyone else. They are however meaningless like everyone elses, it just fun to compare them and then discuss.

I don't know what your saying about being singled out all the time because I am rather new to this crowd, I was just adding to the fun earlier. But usually when people feel singled out, its because they single themselves out somehow but they just think everyone else is responsible for it.

that's just it. I'm not stating opinions and this all started over sprockets. Aluminum vs Ti. I said basically, if a Ti sprocket costs 3x as much but lasts 4+x as long as an aluminum sprocket,it's a good deal. It all got side tracked by people trying to prove me wrong with various arguements. You are also nitpicking and micro-examing my statements in an attempt to prove me wrong. It was already 3 or 4 against 1,why join in?

Anyway,when I used oil to illustrate my point. It was because someone else stated that the sprocket question is like oil in that it's a matter of opinion which is better. I set the terms loosely because I foolishly believed that everyone already knows by what standards oil is judged. I didn't think I had to spell it out for anyone. Mobile 1 is a better oil than any normal oil. It holds it's viscosity longer,it bonds to metal parts better,it reduces friction better,it resists thermal breakdown better,etc this has been proven in several lab tests. The fact that it costs more does not negate it's superior performance nor will public opinion.

I used jackets for the same reason. I didn't specify what type of protection. Why should I have to? Regardless of whatever particular type of protection is being tested for,one jacket can be proven to offer more of it.

There are such things as "general truths". It is generally considered true the the Sun rises in the east but unless you are on the exact line of the Sun's travel accross the Earth,it actually rises either in the northeast or southeast. You can pick apart any statement if you want...

Oh well,as I stated before,I honestly dont care. I do find it interesting that you find it "fun" to gang up on one guy. I do tend to swim against the current as oposed to with it so in that way it can be argued that I isolate myself. In this case tho',I posted early and spent the rest of this time defending myself and my statement. When I am forced to take my pain meds,I sleep and wake up at odd hours and and I can't ride,as proven by my high-side last Fall. This gives me something to do,so for that,thanks.

Quick281
04-09-2008, 05:03 AM
I honestly don't know where this ganging up thing is coming from because I have been here for like a week. Beyond that, I was not aware that internet arguments needed to be regulated, and that it may have been unfair for me to join in in a 3 v 1 brawl. I am sorry if your are now convinced that "I am out to get you". :poke:

I have read over everything we said to each other, and I get the funny feeling that we are completely agreed on this subject, but unable to understand what the other has been trying to say, or that we are completely off.

I am going to blame late nights and pain medications on our confusion earlier because we seem to be in rather good agreement now, which quite frankly confuses me as to what the fuss was about earlier.

marko138
04-09-2008, 08:59 AM
This thread is hilarious.

NeonspeedRT
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
This thread is hilarious.

Talk about something going downhill quick :idk:

Amber Lamps
04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Talk about something going downhill quick :idk:

Like a runaway steamroller!!! I don't know how I do it but I honestly come in with the best of intentions....seriously.....I do....fine don't believe me then...:panic:

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
:whore2:

Quick281
04-09-2008, 06:02 PM
:neeb:

ceo012384
04-10-2008, 11:27 PM
This thread got really gay, really quick.

OneSickPsycho
04-14-2008, 10:43 AM
This thread got really gay, really quick.

And then you posted in it to seal the deal...

No Worries
04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Days late and dollars short, but here's a photo of some Bugatti Veyrons up at Mount Evans that I took several years ago. They are very fast and very expensive.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2271/img0091am3.jpg

Amber Lamps
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
ooooooooooohhhhhhh the CAR!! Yea,I'm not a car guy at all so I didn't get it! Thanks for the info!

Mr Lefty
04-15-2008, 04:29 PM
that car will do over 230mph... stock... that's fuck'n insane!

kanwisch
04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
The only doubt I have may sound dumb but I "felt" that my chains were wearing prematurely.:idk: That's the first thing I was thinking about. As a "kinda" analogy, you don't want brake pads that don't wear because your rotors will. Not sure that a softer sprocket helps relieve some chain wear but I suppose its possible.

Amber Lamps
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
That's the first thing I was thinking about. As a "kinda" analogy, you don't want brake pads that don't wear because your rotors will. Not sure that a softer sprocket helps relieve some chain wear but I suppose its possible.

Yea you kinda want these parts to "wear together" and a chain costs more than almost any sprocket!

comonboys
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
And then you posted in it to seal the deal...

:withstupid::rofl: