PDA

View Full Version : I Got A New Tire Changer!

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
My girlfriend bought me the tire changer machine and balancer from Harbor Freight this morning. The new Motorcyclist had a 20% coupon in it so she got the tire changer, mc adapter and balancer for $128 otd. Three tire changes and it's paid for brother!!! I bought some rim savers so I'm good there and I might get a delrin tipped tire bar just to be sure I don't scratch my rims when they come back from powder coating. Here's some pics. Yes I anchored it to my patio and yes I know my patio is a fucking mess!!!:lol:

tached1000rr
07-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Let me know how you like it once it's battle tested, I'd like to invest in something like that soon.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Let me know how you like it once it's battle tested, I'd like to invest in something like that soon.

Yea I already used it. It works good, it comes with a built in bead breaker and it held the tire nice and secure once my dumb ass got it centered correctly...:lol: It's like anything, with a little practice, I'm sure that I'll be fine. I found videos on YouTube of guys using this machine and pulling tires in a couple minutes.:rockwoot: FWIW I've had dealerships scratch the shit out of my rims, so if they're going to be scratched, at least I didn't pay for it!:lol:

pauldun170
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM
That's great.

(adds tire changer to list of things to get)

zed
07-10-2009, 05:01 PM
if you didn't like the way it clamped the rim you can get some of these.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

they are on my list. I got that changer a few weeks ago.

works better if you mount it to something like a 4X4 sheet of plywood.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 05:03 PM
That's great.

(adds tire changer to list of things to get)

Hopefully, it'll come in handy. Besides, I can probably pick up a couple bucks flipping tires for guys going to Ron Ayers, paying $300 for Shinkos and another $100 to mount them!:panic: Hell, I could put Bridgestones on a guys bike for $350 total and put $100 in my pocket! :rockwoot:

zed
07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
hell, if it only saved you $50 for haveing a set of tires changed it wouldn't take long to pay for it's self.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 05:19 PM
if you didn't like the way it clamped the rim you can get some of these.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoblocks.htm

they are on my list. I got that changer a few weeks ago.

works better if you mount it to something like a 4X4 sheet of plywood.

I mounted mine to the floor, why would plywood be better? I might get these blocks btw! I could have swore I saw something like this mainstream and accessible... I knew a guy that sols a sweet tire bar with a Delrin tip for $60 or something. I think this guy's bar is kinda high...:idk:

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 05:20 PM
hell, if it only saved you $50 for haveing a set of tires changed it wouldn't take long to pay for it's self.

Exactly my thoughts! Hell the way I run through tires, it'll be paid for before Summer is over!:rockwoot:

zed
07-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I mounted mine to the floor, why would plywood be better? I might get these blocks btw! I could have swore I saw something like this mainstream and accessible... I knew a guy that sols a sweet tire bar with a Delrin tip for $60 or something. I think this guy's bar is kinda high...:idk:

ok, didn't see in the picture that it was mounted. sorry.

haven't seen that bar, post it up if you find it. here's another one that is supposed to be very good.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/6

Rider
07-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Tire changers are great and all but how are you going to balance the tire?

TYEster
07-10-2009, 05:35 PM

My girlfriend bought me the tire changer machine and balancer from Harbor Freight this morning.

BTW is THIS the same changer for $60?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42927

*the "attachment" thing makes me wonder if it's just the top part, but if it is, where do you get the bottom?

tommymac
07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

*the "attachment" thing makes me wonder if it's just the top part, but if it is, where do you get the bottom?

The top part is 60 dollars, then you buy the other part separateley. I have the same one or had since I left it at the appt when we moved, I moved up to a full no mar model.

Tom

Rider
07-10-2009, 05:39 PM

I guess i need to take reading comprehension 101. :?:

TYEster
07-10-2009, 05:46 PM
The top part is 60 dollars, then you buy the other part separateley. I have the same one or had since I left it at the appt when we moved, I moved up to a full no mar model.

Tom

So I'd need the base separately too? Or are you referring to the balancer?

* NEVERMIND this link answers my whole question, and shows how to set it up... http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/TireChangerMods1.0.pdf

tommymac
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
So I'd need the base separately too? Or are you referring to the balancer?

yes the base also has the bead breaker on it and a balancer is a whole separate thing, although I have mounted a bunch of tires and never balanced them and havent had any problems.

Tom

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Static balancer... I mentioned it in my first post, I'll assemble it and take a couple pics. I've known guys that swear by these over electronic units.:idk: Hell, I know lots of guys that don't worry about balancing.

This guy is nuts but he does a good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AuivYzaBs

Dude this is my 6,666th post!

zed
07-10-2009, 06:16 PM
static balancing takes a bit to get right. it took me a long time before I just knew how much weight to put on it.

oh, if you get on harbor freights mailing list you usually get discount coupons every week.

Kerry_129
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I had one before my garage fire - works well, but like you said it's a very technique-intensive thing. Was a real bitch until I figured out what the hell I was doing! :lol: Also, the Mojo or NoMar bar is a must for much easier changes without scratching. The static balancer is just fine too, IMO - it's exactly what the tire guys at the AMA superbike races use.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Tom

Yep, the top and bottom pieces are on sale for $49 each, so $98 total. Plus, I have the 20% coupon so approx $80.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I had one before my garage fire - works well, but like you said it's a very technique-intensive thing. Was a real bitch until I figured out what the hell I was doing! :lol: Also, the Mojo or NoMar bar is a must for much easier changes without scratching. The static balancer is just fine too, IMO - it's exactly what the tire guys at the AMA superbike races use.

Yea the first couple tires are taxing but still easier than doing it with irons, been there done that... a couple months ago in fact.:lol:

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Here's a guy using it, kinda drags but he does a good job explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_34kAlZALg

Kerry_129
07-10-2009, 06:31 PM
10-4 I need to get another setup myself sometime, but for now I live close to 2 guys with NoMars... :lol:

Oh - another tip, a couple of quick-clamps can make it much easier to keep the beads in the rim relief. I've used the sliding-bar type, but I bet these would be even better.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100022

zed
07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I've changed a lot of tires and never used a clamp like that. cruiser tires that may be helpful.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:37 PM
10-4 I need to get another setup myself sometime, but for now I live close to 2 guys with NoMars... :lol:

Oh - another tip, a couple of quick-clamps can make it much easier to keep the beads in the rim relief. I've used the sliding-bar type, but I bet these would be even better.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100022

Yep, I have similar clamps from working construction. I've also used this guys "C" clamp solution. I used to do my own tires for years but I got a little money and a lot lazy and quit! Like I said, at $100 a change, that's almost half a set of tires! Besides, they fuck shit up anyway! I bought right angle valve stems and had Ron Ayers put them on a few changes ago. I had to take them off for the powdercoat. They are made out of aluminum and one was fucking stripped!!!:panic: Those things are $15!

TYEster
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Well order it all online plus shipping for $191.

IF it in fact will also change my car tires, 1 car tire rotation and the mounting of 2 new sets of tires on both bikes will have more than paid for this thing.

$100 for car rotation (staggered setup w/directional tires)
$60 PER BIKE (wheel off too!) from our previous "rotator" who just lost our business thanks to this thread. Either way, it's a better investment.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Well order it all online plus shipping for $191.

IF it in fact will also change my car tires, 1 car tire rotation and the mounting of 2 new sets of tires on both bikes will have more than paid for this thing.

$100 for car rotation (staggered setup w/directional tires)
$60 PER BIKE (wheel off too!) from our previous "rotator" who just lost our business thanks to this thread. Either way, it's a better investment.

Hey, I don't have the coupon but if you can get the numbers off that coupon you may be able to get 20% off! Plus the parts are cheaper in the store bro!:idk:

TYEster
07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey, I don't have the coupon but if you can get the numbers off that coupon you may be able to get 20% off! Plus the parts are cheaper in the store bro!:idk:

Already ordered, unless I can take the coupon code and shipping invoice receipt into the store...

Will try.

HRCNICK11
07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
The top 90 degree part I welded onto mine the 4 bolts just did not hold it still. I also have a large bar that slides up and down in the middle above to lever against. I have rim savers from motion pro that I used between the clamps and the rim. I also have 3 motion pro large levers 12 inch wheels suck with out them. Napa sells wheel weights and tire remover lube. The lube makes 17s simple.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
The top 90 degree part I welded onto mine the 4 bolts just did not hold it still. I also have a large bar that slides up and down in the middle above to lever against. I have rim savers from motion pro that I used between the clamps and the rim. I also have 3 motion pro large levers 12 inch wheels suck with out them. Napa sells wheel weights and tire remover lube. The lube makes 17s simple.

Sweet, thanks! I normally use dish soap and water in a spray bottle. A lot of people swear by WD-40 but that sounds sketchy to me...:idk: I might go with the tire lube idea, thanks! Btw I'm picking up the rim savers and wheel weights tomorrow!:rockwoot:

zed
07-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Already ordered, unless I can take the coupon code and shipping invoice receipt into the store...

Will try.

I've only ordered from them once and it took an extraordinarily long time to get the stuff. seems like it took 2 weeks or so.

for everyone else, if there is something you want but they don't have it in the store. they have a ticket you can fill out, pay for it and they have like 10 days to get it in the store. don't believe there is any shipping charges if you do it this way.

zed
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM

I have a bar that I'm going to use with mine too, I thought it was odd that they put such a small bar in with it.

we always just used water with dawn for lube to install tires.

some levers are on my list too.

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a bar that I'm going to use with mine too, I thought it was odd that they put such a small bar in with it.

we always just used water with dawn for lube to install tires.

some levers are on my list too.

I wondered about that too but I think that it's built in "slop" to compensate for if the tire isn't exactly in the center...:idk:

zed
07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Sweet, thanks! I normally use dish soap and water in a spray bottle. A lot of people swear by WD-40 but that sounds sketchy to me...:idk: I might go with the tire lube idea, thanks! Btw I'm picking up the rim savers and wheel weights tomorrow!:rockwoot:

one of the techs at the last shop said he used it once and the customer came back saying he thought something was wrong with the clutch but they found out that it was the tire spinning on the rim. that was long before I got there so can't say for sure, just what I was told.

TYEster
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
I've only ordered from them once and it took an extraordinarily long time to get the stuff. seems like it took 2 weeks or so.

for everyone else, if there is something you want but they don't have it in the store. they have a ticket you can fill out, pay for it and they have like 10 days to get it in the store. don't believe there is any shipping charges if you do it this way.

Ya they quoted me a 12/14 day TA...

No rush though because we both just got tires put on and my wheels/tires on the car are 2 weeks old. The recent cost of mounting for the bikes plus all the work I had to do to get the wheels off just to be done prompted this purchase.

Plus it found it's way to the top of my "Honey-Do" list right quick after she read this thread...

skiergirl
07-10-2009, 09:47 PM
:rockout: - since I go through a set of tires about every 2 months it's a very worthwhile investment to me. And with his bike and now the cars tires too even if it takes some time it's still better than taking the time to drive them somewhere and pay someone else to do them. This will have paid for itself by year end.

I guess I'm buying the air compressor now...:)

zed
07-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Ya they quoted me a 12/14 day TA...

No rush though because we both just got tires put on and my wheels/tires on the car are 2 weeks old. The recent cost of mounting for the bikes plus all the work I had to do to get the wheels off just to be done prompted this purchase.

Plus it found it's way to the top of my "Honey-Do" list right quick after she read this thread...

cool. honey-do list suck.

zed
07-10-2009, 10:56 PM
:rockout: - since I go through a set of tires about every 2 months it's a very worthwhile investment to me. And with his bike and now the cars tires too even if it takes some time it's still better than taking the time to drive them somewhere and pay someone else to do them. This will have paid for itself by year end.

I guess I'm buying the air compressor now...:)

I've got the one from harbor freight. this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93271). you ain't going to do much heavy mechanicing with it but I think it should do ok for seating SB tires. you have to run it down quite a bit before the compressor kicks back on.

Gas Man
07-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Tig, why dont u just use the dyna beads? they could just be dropped in before you blow/seal the bead n poof done!?! trust me they work great in any bike i've put them in. i think drewpy ia runnin them too in his rc.

Amber Lamps
07-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Tig, why dont u just use the dyna beads? they could just be dropped in before you blow/seal the bead n poof done!?! trust me they work great in any bike i've put them in. i think drewpy ia runnin them too in his rc.

Tried to use them...didn't work. Besides, they cost $10 every time you change your tire. If I could have found the heavy spot on the tire (yellow spot was gone) I would have used maybe 1/2oz rear and zero on the front (nothing last time) and I get them for free.:rockwoot:.

Amber Lamps
07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, I'm all done for now and it worked great once I actually followed the guy in the video's suggestions... God I'm stupid sometimes! If you get one of these, do EXACTLY what that guy says. Btw I bought 2 sets of rim savers put one at each mount point and used the 4th one with vise grips to keep the bead on. Worked perfectly! I hope my girlfriend doesn't mind getting her lotion from an old jar....:lol:

I may get the Mojo Blocks when it's time for the next change but the bar worked fine, so I'm keeping the $100 he wants for his tire bar! I modded the Harbor Freight unit like the guy said and it worked great, zero scratches (except the one I put on dropping a tool on the rim outside!!!!:lol:)

marko138
07-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I wish I had space for shit like this. Next house.

Antwanny
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I wish I had space for shit like this. Next house.

Same

zed
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
it brakes down fairly small, can be mounted to a small piece of plywood instead of the floor...

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
it brakes down fairly small, can be mounted to a small piece of plywood instead of the floor...

Yea and I used removable anchors (lag shields), so I mount it down, use it and un-mount it in a few minutes. Besides, I live in an apartment...

skiergirl
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I've got the one from harbor freight. this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93271). you ain't going to do much heavy mechanicing with it but I think it should do ok for seating SB tires. you have to run it down quite a bit before the compressor kicks back on.

Thanks I'll check it out! We really only need it for car / bike tires and maybe an air tool or two...nothing major.

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks I'll check it out! We really only need it for car / bike tires and maybe an air tool or two...nothing major.

Yea my compressor is one I picked up at Meijer's Thrifty Acres in the middle of the night 7 years a go for around $30-40 on sale. It's a two gallon unit that works great! I had zero problems seating the beads on the tires using this unit.

HRCNICK11
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
If you have 3 motion pro levers you can do a rear easy with out a stand like this guy does but with the tire on the ground with you knees holding it down. The front can also be done this way but you will want to remove the rotor on one side. Breaking the bead is the hard part with out a stand but I have seen it done on a motard tire and rim just by standing on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTatadVNA-c&feature=related

Amber Lamps
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Yea been there, done that...and dirt bike tires are one thing, especially if you aren't concerned with scratching. Yep, it was about $80 mwith the coupon for the stand....cheap enough for this fucktard!

marko138
07-17-2009, 07:56 AM
80 bucks? No shit. Thats pretty cheap.

Amber Lamps
07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
80 bucks? No shit. Thats pretty cheap.

Yea each piece is $49 and I had a 20% coupon from Motorcyclist. I also got the static balancer for $48. A pretty good deal, I think.:whistle:

marko138
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Yea each piece is $49 and I had a 20% coupon from Motorcyclist. I also got the static balancer for $48. A pretty good deal, I think.:whistle:
I've got those coupons too. Need to get over there soon.

TYEster
07-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Ya had I checked the mail earlier that week, I would have found said 20% coupon in my issue of Motorcyclist.

Either way, bought and paid, all the parts were delivered today. One thing I still needs is the tire bar? For digging up the tire from the rim. But I got some experience on changing a tire at the track the day before a trackday. One of the guys was changing his tires for the first time, and it was REAL simple. But after even doing it on a stand that wasn't bolted to the floor, the #1 tool aside from the vice that holds it in place, was the tire bar.

Amber Lamps
07-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Ya had I checked the mail earlier that week, I would have found said 20% coupon in my issue of Motorcyclist.

Either way, bought and paid, all the parts were delivered today. One thing I still needs is the tire bar? For digging up the tire from the rim. But I got some experience on changing a tire at the track the day before a trackday. One of the guys was changing his tires for the first time, and it was REAL simple. But after even doing it on a stand that wasn't bolted to the floor, the #1 tool aside from the vice that holds it in place, was the tire bar.

Mine came with a bar..:idk: See post #41, it's on the opposite end. I also bought a tire spoon for $5 at hf.

TYEster
07-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Mine came with a bar..:idk: See post #41, it's on the opposite end. I also bought a tire spoon for $5 at hf.

Oh snap. Haven't even opened the boxes yet, so good to know. :dthumb:

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Oh snap. Haven't even opened the boxes yet, so good to know. :dthumb:

Try modifying yours like I did mine, it worked great!

TYEster
07-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Here she is in all her glory... Harbor Freight screwed me over on the hardware for assembly, but they didn't get the best of me.

Found all the parts and BETTER for $3 total. Duct'd the rim grips and tire iron ends. I'll see how that holds up when I use my car spare tire for my first trial run after I get this thing bolted to something.

*and note the balancer framing my oh-so-precious Redbull Hopkins screened painting.