PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Give Powdercoating Another Chance!

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I was going to have my rims re-painted or just touch them up myself but I decided to take Gasman's advice and go powder coat. I stripped them this morning,after I got my new toy :wink: and the guy is going to be here in a few minutes to pick them up. He's going to strip, powder coat and clear coat them for $150. Apparently he has a GM spec coating from Dupont that is said to be 3X more durable than normal PC, so we'll see.

Here's the before pics...:panic:

zed
07-10-2009, 05:03 PM
going back with white?

Kerry_129
07-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd take the '3X more durable' claim with a big grain of salt, but I'd be interested in hearing more about it & what material it is that supposedly makes it so much tougher.
'Normal' powdercoat is extremely durable IF it's cured properly - it sounds like you had an issue with a prior job? If that's true & your previous finish scratched easily, I bet they didn't get a proper cure (too low temp and/or not long enough).

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
going back with white?

Yep!

Amber Lamps
07-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I'd take the '3X more durable' claim with a big grain of salt, but I'd be interested in hearing more about it & what material it is that supposedly makes it so much tougher.
'Normal' powdercoat is extremely durable IF it's cured properly - it sounds like you had an issue with a prior job? If that's true & your previous finish scratched easily, I bet they didn't get a proper cure (too low temp and/or not long enough).

Yea it's rated by how much salt it can take or something...:idk:. I had a bad job that yellowed and chipped. This guy has an incredible reputation here so I'm hoping for the best!

Amber Lamps
07-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Here's the after pics!:drool:

Riceaholic
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
They're definitely white...

zed
07-11-2009, 03:22 PM
yes they are.

pretty good turn around time.

askmrjesus
07-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Yep.

I saw some white rims once, and they looked just like that.

JC

marko138
07-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Thats a fact.

CrazyKell
07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I think they look great. Post up pics when you've got them on the bike!

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I think they look great. Post up pics when you've got them on the bike!

I thought I did...:lol:

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Yep.

I saw some white rims once, and they looked just like that.

JC

I guess I'll post pics of me cutting through a creek next time...

Kerry_129
07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Looks good - and white! :lol: :dthumb:
Gonna be fun cleaning too! (but way better w/ that good slick coating + a good acrylic sealer/wax like klasse)

That makes sense about having additional corrosion/yellowing resistance on light/translucent/clear p-coating. Can you please ask him about the specific brand/trade-name & where to buy, if it's available to the public?

Here are the wheels for my VFR I just finished in smoke chrome/polish w/ clear:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/kerry_129/VFRr/WHEELS-09.jpg

Particle Man
07-13-2009, 07:14 PM

I think I've said this before but that looks sweet

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I think I've said this before but that looks sweet

Thanks! I'm boring, I've had white rims on all three of my GSXRs. Btw Kerry, those rims look fucking sweet! Seriously, and a lot of work as well!

askmrjesus
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Here are the wheels for my VFR I just finished in smoke chrome/polish w/ clear:

Nice work, those are tits.

Sorry Tig, my F2 had white rims, and there is no way in hell I'm ever doing that again.

JC

Dnyce
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
makes that dirty front fender stand out lol

looks good. mine are white, bitch to clean, but look great when theyre all shiney fresh and not covered in brake dust

CrazyKell
07-13-2009, 10:17 PM

I think it looks amazing! Makes me want to go and get them done!

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
makes that dirty front fender stand out lol

looks good. mine are white, bitch to clean, but look great when theyre all shiney fresh and not covered in brake dust

Yea, ever since I ordered the new body kit, I seem to be less concerned with keeping this one clean...:idk::lol:

That's one good thing about powdercoat. It seems to be "slicker" and with the wax I have one them, I'm feeling pretty good about maintenance! Besides nothing is worse than chrome in my book!:panic:

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Nice work, those are tits.

Sorry Tig, my F2 had white rims, and there is no way in hell I'm ever doing that again.

JC

Yea I get that a lot but I can't help it! I love the way the white rims look, it's a sickness really...:lol:

TYEster
07-13-2009, 10:48 PM

OMG a gixxer that doesnt have a Yoshi exhaust :willy:

Amber Lamps
07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
OMG a gixxer that doesnt have a Yoshi exhaust :willy:

Yea, I had the Tri-Oval dual outlet with the Yosh EMS programmer on my first GSXR ('01), I got it when it first came out and I liked it but... next season EVERYBODY had it. So on my '03 I first went with D&D but WOW it was LOUD, so I changed to a Blue Flame exhaust, no problem with copy cats for sure! This bike started with a M4 Gp exhaust but it was pretty loud so I changed up to the Akrapovic. Akra=quality!:drool:

marko138
07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Bike looks good man. I've always been a fan of white wheeled Zuk's.

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Bike looks good man. I've always been a fan of white wheeled Zuk's.

That's two, wow! j/k:lol:

TYEster
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Yea, I had the Tri-Oval dual outlet with the Yosh EMS programmer on my first GSXR ('01), I got it when it first came out and I liked it but... next season EVERYBODY had it. So on my '03 I first went with D&D but WOW it was LOUD, so I changed to a Blue Flame exhaust, no problem with copy cats for sure! This bike started with a M4 Gp exhaust but it was pretty loud so I changed up to the Akrapovic. Akra=quality!:drool:

You can say that again, I don't see a single gsxr around here without a yoshi exhaust, including the one in my garage.(secretly going to sell it off and get something diff)

Gas Man
07-14-2009, 11:17 PM
The white looks good.

How did they hold up to the rims going on?

Did he sand blast before coating?

Amber Lamps
07-15-2009, 01:38 AM
The white looks good.

How did they hold up to the rims going on?

Did he sand blast before coating?

He stripped them with a wire wheel. He did a great job. I did put one small scratch in them by dropping a tool on them.

Gas Man
07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Really, they should be pretty resistant to scratching. I've seen a guy hit powder with a hammer and it not do anything to it.

Amber Lamps
07-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Really, they should be pretty resistant to scratching. I've seen a guy hit powder with a hammer and it not do anything to it.

Yea well I dropped a 3 lb+ tire iron on it, sharp end down and it made an un-shinny spot.:lol: I touched it up, no worries.

z06boy
07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Hope they last a while for you and yes they look good.

Amber Lamps
07-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Hope they last a while for you and yes they look good.

Me too and thanks!

Kerry_129
07-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Here's some good bunk I picked up a while back & used on my Z wheels - they were particularly bad about showing grime, so I tried this stuff & it seems to do a better job both resisting & releasing brake-dust buildup than 'regular' sealer/wax. Thought I'd pass it along:

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/dp-wheel-glaze.html