PDA

View Full Version : Working swing shifts sucks !

WARputer
04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm working 7 pm to 7 am this month and it bites ! Anyone else work night shift ? Hate it ?

Mr Lefty
04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I've worked night shift before... it sucked... but there are some + stores are ALWAYS open when your off.. no traffic... nice and piecefull at home (neighbors are at work)

though I did notice I slept less... because I'd see a pickup basketball game going on and would stop and play for 4 or 5 hrs... :lol: this was 6 years ago though... I love me some sleep now

WARputer
04-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Yep...I used to stay up half the day ...gettin' too old for that shit now. Another good thing about nights is all the big wig bosses are at home.

Mr Lefty
04-04-2008, 11:31 PM
yeah! and usually the workload is less... so there's more time to think of ways to pass the time... and with less people around... more places to execute said Ideas... we'd have pallet jack races... you face it back wards and put a foot on each side and turn the handle side to side and you'll pick up speed... :lol:

WARputer
04-04-2008, 11:48 PM
yeah! and usually the workload is less... so there's more time to think of ways to pass the time... and with less people around... more places to execute said Ideas... we'd have pallet jack races... you face it back wards and put a foot on each side and turn the handle side to side and you'll pick up speed... :lol:

:rockwoot: We have been known to race on the company golf carts & go 4 wheelin' in them too ! :dthumb:

JoJoYZF
04-05-2008, 12:00 AM

Pallet jack races kick ass, I ride those around the depot all the time.

Trip
04-05-2008, 12:00 AM
I work swing shifts during plant outages, it sucks. I hate it, but I usually work that for a few weeks with no days off. I like working 4 10's the best.

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 12:01 AM
yeah longer shifts with more days off always rocks... i"d work 3 20hr days if I could

WARputer
04-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I work swing shifts during plant outages, it sucks. I hate it, but I usually work that for a few weeks with no days off. I like working 4 10's the best.

That's what we're doing now...plant outage....with the way the economy is, we've had 2 weeks of work and 2 weeks of outage every month ! :panic:

yeah longer shifts with more days off always rocks... i"d work 3 20hr days if I could

Hell yeah ! I'd rather work 3 12's than 9 to 5 Mon thru Fri . :rockout:

Gas Man
04-05-2008, 01:48 AM
My job is swing shift...

Work 7 days (0700 - 1900)
2 days off (mid week)
7 nights (1900-0700)
5 days off (including the w/e which means I only get every 3rd w/e off)
start over

It has its pluses and minuses.

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
when I was deployed we worked a schedule calle Panama's... 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off... repeate... they were 12hr days... but man that fuck'n ROCKED!

WARputer
04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
My job is swing shift...

Work 7 days (0700 - 1900)
2 days off (mid week)
7 nights (1900-0700)
5 days off (including the w/e which means I only get every 3rd w/e off)
start over

It has its pluses and minuses.

Yeah....one plus is gobs and gobs of money ....Big Dog guy ! :lol::poke::whistle:

when I was deployed we worked a schedule calle Panama's... 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off... repeate... they were 12hr days... but man that fuck'n ROCKED!

That's the same schedule we had during Desert Storm. :pat:

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 02:07 AM
I miss that schedule... I'd work 16hr days to get that back... once I get back in the states it'd allow me to take a 3 day trip every other week or so... that'd be AWESOME! I'd rack up so many fuck'n miles it'd be insane! :lol:

WARputer
04-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I miss that schedule... I'd work 16hr days to get that back... once I get back in the states it'd allow me to take a 3 day trip every other week or so... that'd be AWESOME! I'd rack up so many fuck'n miles it'd be insane! :lol:

That schedule isn't worth a shit when you're on base lockdown for 6 months......:willy:I felt like the guy in the movie "The Shining". :panic:

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 02:18 AM
:lol: true... but at least you can sleep all day...

Captain Morgan
04-05-2008, 08:05 AM
I work 9:30pm to 6am. I would actually like it if I didn't have to change shifts every weekend. And by change shifts, I mean that I go on "days" to spend time with my daughter, then go back to nights when I go to work. That's the part that sucks balls. If I could simply stay on a night shift the whole time, it wouldn't be so bad. Funny thing is, it use to be the opposite before I had a daughter. I'd work days, then stay up all night on the weekends. Now I work nights and stay up all day on the weekends. Life just isn't fair. :lol:

vabarber2
04-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I feel your pain, I've ben working night shift my whole deployment and now they made us switch to days for our last 3 weeks here! Plus some daytime work on our off days the whole time. But swingings even worse to get used to!

Bassplayer
04-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I work at fedex freight, from 6pm to midnight. Forklift races are a blast.... specially when your opponent slams into a pallet of paint! :dthumb::dthumb:

WARputer
04-05-2008, 04:09 PM
I work at fedex freight, from 6pm to midnight. Forklift races are a blast.... specially when your opponent slams into a pallet of paint! :dthumb::dthumb:

LOL ! A pallet of paint ?!

itgirl
04-05-2008, 04:50 PM
my husband works 3rd shift and i hate it! i hafta tiptoe around the house while he's asleep. the computer is in our bedroom which seriously cuts down on my TWFix time. :) but also, i hate having to wait until he gets up at 5pm eat dinner, vacuum the floors, etc. it affects my schedule. it's also extremely hard to keep my 6 and 8 year old girls quiet. i'm sure his quality of sleep isn't very good.

WARputer
04-05-2008, 09:36 PM
my husband works 3rd shift and i hate it! i hafta tiptoe around the house while he's asleep. the computer is in our bedroom which seriously cuts down on my TWFix time. :) but also, i hate having to wait until he gets up at 5pm eat dinner, vacuum the floors, etc. it affects my schedule. it's also extremely hard to keep my 6 and 8 year old girls quiet. i'm sure his quality of sleep isn't very good.

He's a lucky guy then ! :dthumb: I think my wife tries to make as much noise as possible. Hell, she even vacuums the same room I'm sleeping in. Maybe I should stop pissing her off so much. :idk:

itgirl
04-05-2008, 09:38 PM
:lol: i do try to be respectful. he does need to sleep, and he is the breadwinner in the family. but after 5pm all bets are off. if he didn't get his sleep by then, he's SOL. :)

WARputer
04-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Bread winner ? OK ....I make all the money in the household but the wife claims to be in charge of it...so who's our breadwinner ? :lmao:

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 09:44 PM
your the bread winner... she's the bread MAKER :lol:

itgirl
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
i'd say you're the breadwinner, but she wears the pants in the household. :)

WARputer
04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
your the bread winner... she's the bread MAKER :lol:

i'd say you're the breadwinner, but she wears the pants in the household. :)

:panic: Dammit ! So when she graduates from college and starts makin' more money than me....guess I'll be useless ...no bread & no pants ! :wtf::blowup:

Bassplayer
04-05-2008, 10:35 PM
:lol: niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Mr Lefty
04-05-2008, 10:55 PM
:panic: Dammit ! So when she graduates from college and starts makin' more money than me....guess I'll be useless ...no bread & no pants ! :wtf::blowup:
yup... guess you'll just need her to buy you another bike and support your track habit to stroke your failing ego... :wink:

itgirl
04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

with no pants, i'm guessing you'll be good for at least one thing...:whistle:

WARputer
04-05-2008, 11:00 PM
yup... guess you'll just need her to buy you another bike and support your track habit to stroke your failing ego... :wink:

or a Harley...by the time she graduates I'll be an old man.

with no pants, i'm guessing you'll be good for at least one thing...:whistle:

Nah....4 kids is enough already ! I'm safer with the Playboy subsription.

itgirl
04-05-2008, 11:03 PM
or a Harley...by the time she graduates I'll be an old man.

Nah....4 kids is enough already ! I'm safer with the Playboy subsription.

4 kids!!:bowdown: i quit after 2, that was enough for me. :)

WARputer
04-05-2008, 11:05 PM

:lmao:They're a handful at times but nothing beats smiling faces waiting at the door when dad gets home from work. We're done now....her mini-van is full with this bunch. :dthumb:

Cutty72
04-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Hell yeah ! I'd rather work 3 12's than 9 to 5 Mon thru Fri . :rockout:

How about
4 11's
2 9's
1 off
and then do it all again... and i wonder why i can't get miles on... :no:

Mr Lefty
04-08-2008, 08:39 PM
cutty... a good way to fix your schedule... is

I FUCKING QUIT

Captain Morgan
04-09-2008, 06:49 AM

I quit after one. She's a doll and I love her to death, but don't think I want any more. Haven't made the quitting official with the ol snip, snip, but been seriously thinking about it.

How about
4 11's
2 9's
1 off

I FUCKING QUIT

No doubt. That's nowhere near enough time off for that schedule!! I'd be looking for work elsewhere. A different part of the country, too. ND sucks!

Mr Lefty
04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
exactly Capt! though with a new bike it's hard to leave a good paying job... but god damn... that's a lot of fuck'n work

WARputer
04-09-2008, 07:38 AM
How about
4 11's
2 9's
1 off

Yeah, I believe that's about the worst schedule I have ever seen.

z06boy
04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Yep...reading some of these replies reassures me the "the glass is half full"...I'm a lucky man !! :lol:

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
exactly Capt! though with a new bike it's hard to leave a good paying job... but god damn... that's a lot of fuck'n work

And that's how I afford the house i do nothing but sleep in, and the bike that I just ride back and forth to work :lol:

I can get time off... just gotta ask for it most times.
Got 6 weeks off for guard duty this summer.
Problem is, if i'm not at work, I'm not making money... Commission sucks.

Yeah, I believe that's about the worst schedule I have ever seen.

well... at least i'm not the only one that thinks my schedule sucks.

WARputer
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Problem is, if i'm not at work, I'm not making money... Commission sucks.

What do ya sell Cutty ? :idk:

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
What do ya sell Cutty ? :idk:

Accessories
I'm the Aftermarket manager at a car dealership.
We carry Jeep, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, and Saturn.

I sell all the stuff that's not on the vehicle when you buy it.
most of my sales are AstroStart remote car starters, mudflaps, window tinting, in car DVD, and Protection packages (paint sealant, fabric protection etc)

It's a pretty good gig over all, but as you can see, a lot of hours. I'm the only one in my department, so they want me here most all the hours we're open.

byron12
04-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm working 7 pm to 7 am this month and it bites ! Anyone else work night shift ? Hate it ?

I work 7pm to 7am friday, saturday and sunday at the hospital. It sucks my ass I am wiating on one of the old people that has worked at erlanger for 60 years to die so I can switch shifts. I like the job though and you can get away with murder on nightshift the charge nurse loves me and she would back me up through hell or highwater. We have a really intense camaraderie on night shift whereas the day shift people are always stepping on each other in their quest for success.

WARputer
04-09-2008, 02:05 PM
:drool:Good LORD ! They have all those brand names, jammed into 1 dealer ....? Wow ! Talk about a great selection !I want a new Rubicon and yes...it will be loaded with accessories. :dthumb:

comonboys
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM

I FUCKING QUIT

He choses to work those hours though. He doesn't HAVE to be there that long.

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
:drool:Good LORD ! They have all those brand names, jammed into 1 dealer ....? Wow ! Talk about a great selection !I want a new Rubicon and yes...it will be loaded with accessories. :dthumb:

Yup, we got 'em all. And because of that we can go to all the brand specific auctions too, so our used selection is awesome.

The new Wranglers are great, a bit underpowered, but very good overall. A lot of accessories out for them already.

WARputer
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM

:lmao:Uh oh ....

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM

I HAVE to be there 98% of those hours.
9-7 M-Th
8:30-6 F
9-6 S

I stay later if there is business, cause that's how I make money.

And I seem to know of a certain person carrying a certain other person financially for awhile :whistle:

WARputer
04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh ....I can see sparks about the fly .

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh ....I can see sparks about the fly .

She likes to bring stuff up like that.

comonboys
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
She likes to bring stuff up like that.

I wasn't bring up anything. I was just saying that you dont have to be there... You chose to be there to make more money. So whatever. That's why I work 2 jobs and go to school. Cause then I am not sitting at home after working my 8-5 job bored since I dont' get to see. But whatever........

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I wasn't bring up anything. I was just saying that you dont have to be there... You chose to be there to make more money. So whatever. That's why I work 2 jobs and go to school. Cause then I am not sitting at home after working my 8-5 job bored since I dont' get to see. But whatever........

see above post on hours i must be here...
you know my schedule.

byron12
04-09-2008, 02:48 PM

Well at least you are working two jobs and going to school to keep from being bored not because you have to. My wife complains quite a bit about the shiity hours I work and that she is bored on the weekends; I tell her to get a hobby; I go fishing, work on my cars and motorcycle and take my dogs running while she is at work therefore miking me lose track of time to the point that I'm like "oh your home already". My argument is that I work shitty hours now so I can finish school and so on and so for so I will be finacially able to enjoy time with my family in the future if I try to live in too much in the present now our lives will never stabilize. My wife wants all these things in the future but she is unwilling to make sacrifices in her current lifestyle. Definitly not saying that ya'll are like us, but that is my take on our situation.

comonboys
04-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Well at least you are working two jobs and going to school to keep from being bored not because you have to. My wife complains quite a bit about the shiity hours I work and that she is bored on the weekends; I tell her to get a hobby; I go fishing, work on my cars and motorcycle and take my dogs running while she is at work therefore miking me lose track of time to the point that I'm like "oh your home already". My argument is that I work shitty hours now so I can finish school and so on and so for so I will be finacially able to enjoy time with my family in the future if I try to live in too much in the present now our lives will never stabilize. My wife wants all these things in the future but she is unwilling to make sacrifices in her current lifestyle. Definitly not saying that ya'll are like us, but that is my take on our situation.

i m hoping that once i graduate i can work in a job that provides us the abilty to only work 40 hrs. And I would love to have where I am the breadwinner so Cutty can finally take some time off. It just would be nice to go away for a weekend by ourselves. But I have to wait until I am in that good job and he's back from kosovo before that will ever happen.

WARputer
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Much the same boat here ...untill my wife finishes college,I'll be working a shit load of hours.:panic:

byron12
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
i m hoping that once i graduate i can work in a job that provides us the abilty to only work 40 hrs. And I would love to have where I am the breadwinner so Cutty can finally take some time off. It just would be nice to go away for a weekend by ourselves. But I have to wait until I am in that good job and he's back from kosovo before that will ever happen.

Much the same boat here ...untill my wife finishes college,I'll be working a shit load of hours.:panic:

Sounds like all of us are in similar situations hell thats the american dream though work your ass off till you can offard some shit and then you die....:trip: