PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Shoei X-11 in Austin?

pdog
07-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I know it fits me perfectly but want to try one at freeway speeds before I pay that much for a helmet. None of the online or retail stores will accept a helmet that has been used, even that lightly.

So I just want to borrow a Large for 5 minutes. Anyone?

azoomm
07-13-2009, 10:26 AM
I do, but it's a medium.

I'll save you the trouble - get a Suomy.

pdog
07-13-2009, 10:34 AM
The X-11 fits me, the RF-1000 does not. The Arai Profile fits me, the Quantum 2 does not. So while I appreciate the advice, telling me to get a brand does not tell me if a particular model will fit.

JoJoYZF
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
The X-11 fits me, the RF-1000 does not. The Arai Profile fits me, the Quantum 2 does not. So while I appreciate the advice, telling me to get a brand does not tell me if a particular model will fit.

I was the same way with the rf-1000. It didnt fit me but the x-11 is perfect. I just went ahead and bought it and have loved it ever since.

pdog
07-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I bought an RF-1000 for $450 two years ago. It was an utter disaster and I had to sell it for a huge loss a month later (it was not an issue of fit). I simply will not make that mistake again. I have no problem doing that with a $200 HJC (I've owned 5 of them) but won't with a $500 helmet from a company that has already burned me once.

I was the same way with the rf-1000. It didnt fit me but the x-11 is perfect. I just went ahead and bought it and have loved it ever since.

skiergirl
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I just bought an X-11 and love it but mine's and XS so there's no way it will fit you though...

Have you stopped or talked to Cycle gear, I wore the darn thing around the store taking it on/off for like 20 minutes, even went outside, etc...

They may require a deposit or something in case you wreck with it on but I'd bet if you're serious about getting one they would let you test one out.

fasternyou929
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I bought an RF-1000 for $450 two years ago.Ouch... do yourself a favor and if the X-11 fits you, shop around online. PM me if you want a link to the place I've ordered all my Shoei helmets from; they're prices are rock bottom and their customer service is top notch!

pdog
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Have you stopped or talked to Cycle gear, I wore the darn thing around the store taking it on/off for like 20 minutes, even went outside, etc...

The showroom doesn't tell you about venting or noise. I'm mostly concerned about noise because the RF-1000 I had was deafening at highway speeds even with ear plugs in.

They may require a deposit or something in case you wreck with it on but I'd bet if you're serious about getting one they would let you test one out.

The guy I talked to two years ago wouldn't. Once the film has been removed from the visor, it's yours.

skiergirl
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I rode with mine Sunday, I wear earplugs but it was plenty quiet. My earplugs weren't in the whole way when I first went out and it was maybe a tad louder than my previous Arai Q2, but not by much, on the way home I got my ear plugs in better and it was 10 x's more quiet.

I also love that the viewing area is greater, you can see to the sides much better and the chin guard is further from your chin. I could stick out my chin and touch with my Arai, there's no way I'm touching with this one so I assume in a crash it wouldn't hit my mouth as easily.

I understand the hesitation though, it's a lot of money and I wear mine all the time so I need it to be comfortable and fit right.

Adeptus_Minor
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike, fwiw, Helmet Harbor ranks it:

Wind Noise Rating: 7 out of 10
Ventilation Rating: 10 out of 10
Overall Rating: 10 out of 10

How you get "10 out of 10" with a 7 in Wind Noise, I dunno... apparently the noise is worth it for the overall experience? :idk:

pdog
07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Interesting, didn't know about Helmet Harbor.

Adeptus_Minor
07-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Interesting, didn't know about Helmet Harbor.

They used to be *the* web storefront most people would recommend.
They've gone to a registration system now, but I went ahead and signed up because I like their information and selection.
Good for research, if nothing else.

pdog
07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
webbikeworld seems to be the best out there for helmets right now. Their helmet weight/shape page is pretty useful for seeing if a helmet will fit right. I've learned that I'm an Oval and need to avoid Round.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

They used to be *the* web storefront most people would recommend.
They've gone to a registration system now, but I went ahead and signed up because I like their information and selection.
Good for research, if nothing else.

pdog
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I just bought an X-11 at CycleGear. They told me I can ride with the helmet for 7 days and return it as long as it's in new condition. I'll go for a ride later tonight and see how it goes.

Adeptus_Minor
07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
webbikeworld seems to be the best out there for helmets right now. Their helmet weight/shape page is pretty useful for seeing if a helmet will fit right. I've learned that I'm an Oval and need to avoid Round.

Thanks for that link, it's interesting stuff.
It's odd really, I've been thinking I was more of an oval fit all this time and from the look of how they're classifying most of the helmets that have fit me, I'm actually a round?!
:idk:

pdog
07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
I've always thought HJC helmets fitted me pretty well until I started trying on a bunch at CycleGear and realized just how loose the HJC was around my cheeks and firm against my forehead. They are round and that's exactly how you'd expect an oval head to feel.

I can confirm that my old RF-1000 was defective. This X-11 is no louder at city street speeds than my HJC and around 40 mph it's noticeably quieter (this is WITH all the vents open). :rockwoot: I'll get it on the highway tomorrow and see how the venting and noise is at 70.

Thanks for that link, it's interesting stuff.
It's odd really, I've been thinking I was more of an oval fit all this time and from the look of how they're classifying most of the helmets that have fit me, I'm actually a round?!
:idk:

Adeptus_Minor
07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
I've always thought HJC helmets fitted me pretty well until I started trying on a bunch at CycleGear and realized just how loose the HJC was around my cheeks and firm against my forehead. They are round and that's exactly how you'd expect an oval head to feel.

Hrm.. I think I need to search around a bit more when I get of a mind to replace my Carbon.
It does press a bit on my forehead... not really uncomfortably, but it leaves pressure marks (thanks receding hairline).
I'm not looking to replace it just yet, but I'll definitely shop around and try some other shell types when I get ready to.

TYEster
07-14-2009, 10:53 PM

Nice to know I have the #2 helmet on the list. Of course that's weight comparison only. Still, it's the most fitting, and lightest helmet I've ever had.

skiergirl
07-14-2009, 11:04 PM
That is a really cool site! It also explains why my Arai fit but was never tight around my face really. The Q2 is Round and the Shoei X-11 is oval. I never knew this was how they classified helmets I hate to admit....

pdog
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
It's also #24. :?:

Nice to know I have the #2 helmet on the list. Of course that's weight comparison only. Still, it's the most fitting, and lightest helmet I've ever had.

pdog
07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
My findings:

Having ridden a few miles in the X-11, I can say it's about as quiet as my HJC. The fit, of course, is much better. I didn't notice the venting even though I made it a point to open every vent. The aerodynamics at freeway speeds are awesome. The weight is reasonably light. The shield changing system is a million times better than the crappy HJC system.

It's definitely better than my HJC but is it 3x better ($200 vs $600)... That is the question.

TYEster
07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
It's also #24. :?:

That's for a large, I have an "S" helmet.

If I dont say it, it doesn't leave the door open... :tremble:

fasternyou929
07-16-2009, 12:41 AM
It's definitely better than my HJC but is it 3x better ($200 vs $600)... That is the question.

You didn't seem too interested in my first post, but with the price you posted above I figured it was worth mentioning again: the place I buy my helmets from has the X-11 replicas for $465.11 shipped. Solids are slightly less.

Just FYI if you're looking to save a few bucks.

pdog
07-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, thanks, I was just comparing it to my CycleGear experience. The CG guys said that Woods Fun Center (the Walmart of motorcycle dealers here in Austin) is actually marking up helmets beyond MSRP and selling the X-11 for $800 and the latest Arai for $900!

The equation changes a bit if you consider the lower prices you can find online. compacc.com has solid X-11s for $350 (you have to call them) and closeout replicas for $400 shipped.

You didn't seem too interested in my first post, but with the price you posted above I figured it was worth mentioning again: the place I buy my helmets from has the X-11 replicas for $465.11 shipped. Solids are slightly less.

Just FYI if you're looking to save a few bucks.