PDA

View Full Version : Bike to Bike Communications

Trip
07-14-2009, 03:04 PM
I am looking into getting an intercom setup. I would really like as wireless as possible with good range and bluetooth. I know the Scala Q2s are suppose to be sweet, but it is lacking some options I want. I don't like how you can only talk to one person at a time with a max of 2 connections. However everything about FRS and 900MHz I have found say they suck at anything above 40mph. I would really like to tie these into a camera setup to record the conversations while we ride.

Anyone know other good setups?

Rider
07-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Chatterbox is the only one I know of.

Trip
07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
chatterbox's suck from everything I have heard

Rider
07-14-2009, 03:09 PM
I've never used them so I don't know anything about their quality, but I've been on several rides with guys that use them and I've never heard a complaint, but then again I never asked about them.

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 03:33 PM
How deep are your pockets? Either of these systems are considered top drawer.

http://www.baehrusa.com/

http://www.starcom1.com/

Trip
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
How deep are your pockets? Either of these systems are considered top drawer.

http://www.baehrusa.com/

http://www.starcom1.com/

The beaher I don't consider top drawer as it is the FRS/900MHz ones I was referring to that suck over 40mph. I could build those myself as a matter of fact. Wired systems are not something I am looking for, unless I can find a headset worth a damn in a helmet, building the wiring harness would be really cheap and easy, then just plug it in a basic FRS radio.

I have heard the same for the starcomm as well.

G-Rex
07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
The last time I researched, Baehr was the business for what *I* was looking for, but if it doesn't suit your needs...

Definitely stay away from Chatterbox. They are a waste of money.

Trip
07-14-2009, 03:48 PM
The last time I researched, Baehr was the business for what *I* was looking for, but if it doesn't suit your needs...

Definitely stay away from Chatterbox. They are a waste of money.

For me, all I would buy from Baehr is the headset. I could build the box myself. Pretty much if it is an all wired system, there is nothing to those things except multiple connections you could buy at radio shack for $2 a pop and build the complete box for under $30. I would really like something with BT to cut down the wires.

G-Rex
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
For me, all I would buy from Baehr is the headset. I could build the box myself. Pretty much if it is an all wired system, there is nothing to those things except multiple connections you could buy at radio shack for $2 a pop and build the complete box for under $30. I would really like something with BT to cut down the wires.

Hell, if you can build the Baehr box, can you build me a couple for less than the $1000 per box they go for? :lol:

Trip
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
collett seems to be nice, but looks to be chatterbox ish. Everything on adv rider points to Scala Q2s as the best for clarity, but they just hender the attachment access. I may try to mod one of those fuckers to let me use FRS.

Trip
07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Hell, if you can build the Baehr box, can you build me a couple for less than the $1000 per box they go for? :lol:

I'd have to look into their design some, because they have some amp process in the box it seems to be able to configure the sound for each device, but it seems no more than an interface point. Ebbs bought two FRS radios and I was going to try and mod those. My problem is finding a good cheap headset that will give us the clarity we need at speed. Help me find that and I can work on the box. The box really shouldn't be a big issue. It wouldn't look "pro" but it should have the same functionality.

smileyman
07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I am still getting by with hand signs...What about those Nolan Blue tooth helmets? Do they only work as blue tooth for your cell phone?

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 03:59 PM
BTW I've used several different communication systems. The only decent conversation I ever had while riding was with my and buddy's phones wired into a Chatterbox intercom systems. But the part that was the key to that success was the NOJ Quiet Rider. In my experience, this is where most of the noise comes from in a helmet and the best lids have the best neck guards.:idk:

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 04:14 PM
collett seems to be nice, but looks to be chatterbox ish. Everything on adv rider points to Scala Q2s as the best for clarity, but they just hender the attachment access. I may try to mod one of those fuckers to let me use FRS.

I tried Collet about 12 years ago. Sent it back. It was better than Chatterbox but still not that great.

Here's what you do, get a blue tooth helmet headset from Blue Ant. Have everyone you ride with be on the same carrier or in each other's circle or whatever. You call each other three way... problem solved. The BA headset will accommodate two or three different devices. Best part is that you can buy these things at Best Buy or other stores, so if you don't like it...zoom back to the store it goes! There are adapters that can make any device blue tooth.

http://www.myblueant.com/interphone_helmet_kit.htm

Dude you think that you want to talk to a bunch of people while you ride, well trust me you don't! There will be 1 or 2 people max that you may want to shoot the shit with or whatever. Beyond that... nah!

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd have to look into their design some, because they have some amp process in the box it seems to be able to configure the sound for each device, but it seems no more than an interface point. Ebbs bought two FRS radios and I was going to try and mod those. My problem is finding a good cheap headset that will give us the clarity we need at speed. Help me find that and I can work on the box. The box really shouldn't be a big issue. It wouldn't look "pro" but it should have the same functionality.

Here buddy, I've been using this one for 3 years and 3 or 4 helmets. Works good and costs $35.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5577

Trip
07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Dude you think that you want to talk to a bunch of people while you ride, well trust me you don't! There will be 1 or 2 people max that you may want to shoot the shit with or whatever. Beyond that... nah!

2 people would be perfect. Mostly I am going to be using it for me and Andrea, so the scala would work. However, I am wanting a complete audio system for a long trip to record a bunch of stuff. Where I can feed the audio output to a camera. I may just rig a jack to a scala to do this.

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 06:41 PM
2 people would be perfect. Mostly I am going to be using it for me and Andrea, so the scala would work. However, I am wanting a complete audio system for a long trip to record a bunch of stuff. Where I can feed the audio output to a camera. I may just rig a jack to a scala to do this.

Well, eyeball the Blue Ant at least. You'll be linked together, you to your phone, her to her phone and either of you to another rider/passenger. Plus you can link to your gps w/a blue tooth adapter, of course. Like I said, you can stroll into Best Buy and pick one up.

JoshuaTree
07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Autocom has been my choice. Best cable / adapter / setup selection by far. Dealers everywhere support it, or at least know of it enough to help you when you're on the road.

I have an ancient Pro-7 that I've used in two bikes. The "trick" to them is putting an extension cable between the unit and the helmet tail cord. That's the lenght that takes the most abuse).

J&M is also not bad, but not anywhere near as flexible.

http://www.autocom.co.uk/
http://www.jmcorp.com/
http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-822

If you want to try and bluetooth integrate phone and iPod, take a look at:

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/motorcyclekits/parrotsk4000
(I haven't used one, nor have I known anyone to - but it looks interesting)

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits/parrot-mki9200
(eventually I'm going to try and integrate one of these onto my bike/intercom setup)

As always, YMMV... :)

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 07:29 PM

That's the reason I posted the StarCom. It's set-up to do camera audio functions...

nhgunnut
07-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Probably a bit pricier that you want to think about but My wife and I use the JM Integrator with the Midland CBs I also use it to integrate my GPS and Ipod and has the ability to link the cell phone. It is a bi bulky but particulary when I my slip over the speed limit the truckers still use CBs to give "traffic" reports and I find this very useful on the busa. I guess if it were legal you also integrate a police and fire scanner.

Amber Lamps
07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Probably a bit pricier that you want to think about but My wife and I use the JM Integrator with the Midland CBs I also use it to integrate my GPS and Ipod and has the ability to link the cell phone. It is a bi bulky but particulary when I my slip over the speed limit the truckers still use CBs to give "traffic" reports and I find this very useful on the busa. I guess if it were legal you also integrate a police and fire scanner.

I think that JM also makes a blue tooth module...

JoshuaTree
07-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Almost forgot. Make sure you also have good mounts for your gear. I've always liked the Ram Mounts stuff (www.ram-mounts.com). The Aqua Boxes they have look very interesting... ;)

Gas Man
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm sorry... I don't remember the brand. The new american thunder show on speed just had one of these on a show.

Mr Lefty
07-15-2009, 07:12 AM
I say stick to the FRS... they'll give you the best range... build a box to connect what you want... and invest in some head sets from one of the companies that has the noise canceling in them like baer... and you'd be set. and all would cost under $200 I'd think. but would take a bit of time and effort.

The cool thing is you could dismantle one of the FRS Units... and hard wire it into your bike.. put the display up where you need to see it... but hide the antenna and what ever else behind some fairings in a sealed box... then put the transmit button on the left grip.

as for the box... I think you'd want one connection for FRS, one for Music, one for GPS (actually quite nice but not needed), and possibly one for your phone. then one out that only sends out the FRS traffic... to go to the camera.

:idk:

I'll keep looking... 5 days of sitting on my ass after my PRK surgery on the 22nd... but till then... not much time to look.

ericr
07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Trip, Kathy and Kerry had the Scala's at the rally and they said they're crystal clear up to 80-85mph. I called Kathy once since then and she was on the bike riding and I couldn't tell at all, thought she was at home till she told me. I'll spend my money on them when I get ready to get something like that.

Trip
07-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Trip, Kathy and Kerry had the Scala's at the rally and they said they're crystal clear up to 80-85mph. I called Kathy once since then and she was on the bike riding and I couldn't tell at all, thought she was at home till she told me. I'll spend my money on them when I get ready to get something like that.

Yeah, they are nice, but they aren't capable of everything I need from them. You can't tie them into the video feed and you are limited to one on one conversations with only up to two people. They are nice, but I just want something with a little more options.

ericr
07-24-2009, 11:35 PM
DAmn, you are a Beemer snob already aren't you? :lol:

Gas Man
07-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Trip, let me know what you decide on. Maybe I'll get one so we can rock it out together on our way up to PA if join in.

lauralynne
07-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Autocom for the win. We've had ours for 4+ years now and it's been bulletproof. Bike to bike, music, phone (if you MUST), and radar detector all tied in. Great reception, awesome sound quality, we both ride liter twins with pipes and never have an issue, even at high speed. They're both installed on our sportbikes in limited space and we never have to mess with them. The walkie talkies are Motorola and hardwired into the bikes, no pesky recharging on long trips.
http://www.pappawheelies.com/trunk1.htm

MILK
07-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I have nothing positive to add. If people could call or talk to me while I'm riding I would stop riding! :lol:

Gas Man
08-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Trip what did you come up with?

Trip
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Trip what did you come up with?

nothing yet, too much cash flowing out right now to start on it.

Gas Man
08-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I hear ya...