PDA

View Full Version : Tips for cutting fairing for frame slider?

derf
07-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Any tips for cutting the fairing to fit a set of frame sliders?

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Any tips for cutting the fairing to fit a set of frame sliders?

Yep! This is the official CEO method! Put the bike on a stand and take the fairing off. Get a laser pointer and set it up to shine in the exact center of the bolt where you are going to mount the slider, use a step ladder or something. Give yourself plenty of room. Now put the fairing back on and mark where the laser is pointing and cut your hole using that mark as the center with the appropriate sized hole saw. Repeat for the other side. Ta-dah!!!

t-homo
07-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Yep! This is the official CEO method! Put the bike on a stand and take the fairing off. Get a laser pointer and set it up to shine in the exact center of the bolt where you are going to mount the slider, use a step ladder or something. Give yourself plenty of room. Now put the fairing back on and mark where the laser is pointing and cut your hole using that mark as the center with the appropriate sized hole saw. Repeat for the other side. Ta-dah!!!

That guy can be pretty fucking smart sometimes.

Rider
07-19-2009, 02:35 AM

Get the fuck out.Fit your sliders. Color the end of the sliders with chalk. Mount your fairings, press the fairning against the sliders to transfer the chalk mark. Drill hil where the chalk mark is. Remove sliders, fit fairings, fit sliders, you're golden.

derf
07-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I was thinking I would take the old fairing, trace the cut outs on a piece of paper, then mark it on the new fairing. Then make a small hole, and progressivelly file the hole bigger until it fits around the slider

Sixxxxer
07-19-2009, 10:56 AM
This isn't brain surgery...Find out where your bolt hole is for it then line up the slider and make a circle....It isnt that difficult.

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Do what you want but I did my buddy's the laser way and they are fucking perfect!!! Plus I don't see how my way is any more difficult than what you've all suggested?:idk:

Sixxxxer
07-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Mine took all of 5 minutes...and I left the fairing on the bike...

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Whatever, show me a better installed frame slider!:rockwoot:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/DSC02974.jpg

Sixxxxer
07-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Mine is only a half circle ;)

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Mine took all of 5 minutes...and I left the fairing on the bike...

Yea and I've seen yours....

Just kidding!:lol: I didn't notice how they look... Post a pic and we'll see who's looks the best.

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Mine is only a half circle ;)

Hah, no fair asshole!!!!:lol: Yea the one on my bike just needs an indention, so I marked it and used a small drum sander.

Sixxxxer
07-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Yep...thats what I used to.

The left side I didnt need to cut at all only the right...

Fucking Kawasaki

DIMford
07-19-2009, 12:52 PM

I used this method and it worked great. In addition make sure you get the drill fitting meant for fiberglass and plastic. It will have a normal drill bit in the center to guide through your original hole with the right sized cutting portion looks like sand paper.