PDA

View Full Version : Replacing gas tank, locked gas cap

derf
07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
The replacement gas tank I have, the gas cap is locked, and I cant get it off. i want to use my gas cap because the key is teh same as my ignition.

How do I get the gas cap off without drilling the lock out?

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 03:28 PM
The replacement gas tank I have, the gas cap is locked, and I cant get it off. i want to use my gas cap because the key is teh same as my ignition.

How do I get the gas cap off without drilling the lock out?

You have to break the lock unless... you should know the position of the "locking" allen bolt from your existing gas cap. You could drill the cap at that position with a 3/8'' bit and get it out that way. Otherwise, take a big screwdriver, bang it into the lock and use vise grips to turn it. The locks on gas caps aren't that tough, it should be easy...:idk:

derf
07-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks got it

Dave
07-19-2009, 07:30 PM
drilling its not that bad an option

derf
07-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Its too late, I got it off a few hours ago

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
drilling its not that bad an option

The problem with drilling is if you're not careful, you can put shavings in your tank.

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Its too late, I got it off a few hours ago

Hey, how did you get it?

Dave
07-19-2009, 09:54 PM
The problem with drilling is if you're not careful, you can put shavings in your tank.

hold it upside down. or run a good filter

derf
07-19-2009, 10:00 PM

That was my first thought, that the shavings would get into the tank and clog up the carbs.

I wound up just putting a screw driver in the key hole and twisted it with a vice grip, it just popped out then I installed the new one

derf
07-19-2009, 10:03 PM
hold it upside down. or run a good filter

The shavings will still find their way into the tank once it breaks through

Amber Lamps
07-19-2009, 10:07 PM
That was my first thought, that the shavings would get into the tank and clog up the carbs.

I wound up just putting a screw driver in the key hole and twisted it with a vice grip, it just popped out then I installed the new one

Sweet! If I helped, I'm glad that I did! If you figured it out for yourself, well then great minds think alike!:lol:

derf
07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeh when I replied to you that "thanks I got it" is when I actually got it.