PDA

View Full Version : roundabouts

pauldun170
07-21-2009, 03:22 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5318776/five-reasons-american-drivers-will-never-love-roundabouts/gallery/

Trip
07-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I have one in my neighborhood that has a curb and a grass middle. When on the DRZ, I usually just jump the curb and run through the grass turning it into a normal intersection. LOL!

shmike
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Where you can expect to spend the average European commute with your face firmly planted in the armpit of a person who believes eating copious amounts of garlic and horse meat provides adequate deodorization, American drivers can enjoy shock jocks and Starbucks. Being forced to walk through parks, eat in outdoor cafes and play in the street would force us to associate with other people and we don't like other people, especially mimes.

:lol:

unknownroad
07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
That was some pretty weak-ass humor through tired you-evil-American-capitalist-pigdogs cliches :blah: I expect better from Jalopnik... that seems more like a post from someone's blog about bicycling, or the vegan lifestyle, or how much they love their iBook.

Traffic circles are one of the few places i get to drag peg around here :dthumb:

derf
07-21-2009, 06:43 PM
I have 4 circles near my house, two have crappy pavement and are always busy, one has great pavement, a 15mph sign and a police station on it. The last one has great pavement, almost no traffic, and I can haul ass around.

Homeslice
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
They rock IMO, you don't have to come to a stop as you're approaching the circle. Don't see anyone, feel free to slam yourself right into it.

Mr Lefty
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
They have a few in AK... lots of accidents... especially in the winter... but it's all because of idiot drivers.

well that and who ever designed the traffic circles in AK is a complete moron.

two simple rules for round abouts... out side lane exits, inside lane continues around circle. and those in the circle have the right away.

in AK the inside lane can exit too... and that's where the fuckup is... people expect that they have to keep turning left... right up until their headlights come through the drivers window and jaw jack them.

that being said they were a blast in winter... could drift my truck through them... they were on either side of a over pass so I'd do laps in my truck facing the center median... wish I'd have gotten a long exposure photo of that... :lol:

BobTheBiker
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I like em personally. they actually make sense, and help with speed control. well that and you can really piss someone you hate off by driving in circles as long as you can to make them dizzy.

was92v
07-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Many old southern small towns have done that around the town square since horse and buggy days, but now some of the entry streets have stop signs. But they seem to be stop-N-go with the flow. I always thought it was a cool and fun way to change directions.

Homeslice
07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
two simple rules for round abouts... out side lane exits, inside lane continues around circle. and those in the circle have the right away.

Why do you need 2 lanes in a traffic circle? The town I lived in only had 1 lane in theirs. Why would you even bother getting into the inside lane, seeing as how you're going to need to exit only 2-3 seconds later?

unknownroad
07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Why do you need 2 lanes in a traffic circle? The town I lived in only had 1 lane in theirs. Why would you even bother getting into the inside lane, seeing as how you're going to need to exit only 2-3 seconds later?

In the big city, they sometimes have roads with more than one lane going in each direction! redflip

Mr Lefty
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM

well you don't... but if you have 2 lanes... like the ones in AK do... the inside lane shouldn't be able to exit...

101lifts2
07-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I've never really seen one until I went to NJ...I couldn't get onto it since there were too many cars, so I just gunned it and squeezed in...LA style.

Particle Man
07-28-2009, 10:51 PM
we have one close by... it's so small that you can ride straight through it (ie don't follow the stupid curve) while on a bike.

Someone may occasionally drive through the center as well :lol: