PDA

View Full Version : Undertail and Stompgrips

Amber Lamps
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Installed new undertail and Stompgrips on my bike this weekend... yea I know whoopie doo... Just thought I'd post something bike related.:lol:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0789.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0790.jpg

derf
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
How much and where did you get the stomp grips? I've been contemplating them, except folks keep telling me that they tear up leathers.

Amber Lamps
07-27-2009, 11:31 PM
How much and where did you get the stomp grips? I've been contemplating them, except folks keep telling me that they tear up leathers.

I think they're about $40 a set. I haven't had problems with leather destruction so.:idk: They help me use my legs instead of my arms and with my bike's forward bias, I need all the help I can get. I hate the way they look on the white tank but I'm spoiled and don't feel right without them after using them for so long. I thought about just putting a couple snowboard ovals on my tank but my friend at SG sent me these for free a couple months ago so...

Dnyce
07-28-2009, 01:40 AM
stomp grips, meh

but the undertail, looks good man. clean.

night shot?

Amber Lamps
07-28-2009, 02:35 AM
stomp grips, meh

but the undertail, looks good man. clean.

night shot?

Camera phone to the rescue! Not the best pics, sorry.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0791.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0792.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0793.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0794.jpg

As you can see, the round yellow light are running and turn signals and the red lights are running and brake lights. My tail light is integrated, so with the four ways on, you get quite a flash of yellow!:lol:

marko138
07-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Looks good.

TYEster
07-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Just make sure there are 0 air bubbles and don't ride in 100+deg heat. Mine came right off during a trackday...

Derf - they won't tear your leathers, they will however feel REAL good when you just wear jeans and squeeze the life out of your tank, lol.

Amber Lamps
07-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Just make sure there are 0 air bubbles and don't ride in 100+deg heat. Mine came right off during a trackday...

Derf - they won't tear your leathers, they will however feel REAL good when you just wear jeans and squeeze the life out of your tank, lol.

Yea I don't know... I've had good experiences and not so good and I'm afraid that part of the blame for the not so good has to be placed with me. I don't think I've done all the prep work or allowed them to sit as long as recommended. This time I waited until it was 90 deg, sat the bike out in the sun and the pads on my dash for an hour. Washed the tank 3 times with cleaner and 3 times with 90% alcohol. Took my sweet time measuring and applying the grip, so I didn't have to move it at all. Then, I took a roller and put a ton of pressure on it to force the bubbles out and to make sure it was completely set. Then, I heated it up with a hair dryer and made sure that all of the edges were good and sealed. Lastly, I waited until this morning to ride the bike, almost 40 hours (instructions call for 24). If there are any fuck ups, it won't be because of me!:lol:

marko138
07-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Yea I don't know... I've had good experiences and not so good and I'm afraid that part of the blame for the not so good has to be placed with me. I don't think I've done all the prep work or allowed them to sit as long as recommended. This time I waited until it was 90 deg, sat the bike out in the sun and the pads on my dash for an hour. Washed the tank 3 times with cleaner and 3 times with 90% alcohol. Took my sweet time measuring and applying the grip, so I didn't have to move it at all. Then, I took a roller and put a ton of pressure on it to force the bubbles out and to make sure it was completely set. Then, I heated it up with a hair dryer and made sure that all of the edges were good and sealed. Lastly, I waited until this morning to ride the bike, almost 40 hours (instructions call for 24). If there are any fuck ups, it won't be because of me!:lol:
Thats seems to be pretty thorough.

Amber Lamps
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Thats seems to be pretty thorough.

Yea well, I had a couple problems with the last set but they were my fault. This is the 4th set of Stomp Grips that have been on this bike for various reasons and hopefully the last!

Dnyce
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
lol no excuse for someone to rear end you

z06boy
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
The undertail looks good.

I'm not sure about the stompgrips. I've never ridden a bike with them so I don't know how the feel or how well they function.

TYEster
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Wow damn, I just wiped my tank off with a towel(dusted it basically) and pressed them on. I let them sit over night at the most, and rode the next day... :lol:

They did last me 6 trackdays before finally coming apart from the tank. Oh well screw it, I can put that $30 for the next set to something else.

Amber Lamps
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow damn, I just wiped my tank off with a towel(dusted it basically) and pressed them on. I let them sit over night at the most, and rode the next day... :lol:

They did last me 6 trackdays before finally coming apart from the tank. Oh well screw it, I can put that $30 for the next set to something else.

Yea the instructions say that the adhesive cures in 72 hours and they recommend waiting for at least 24... FWIW that's basically the way I installed them the first time... on a freshly painted tank yet. For those that don't know, paint will still give off "fumes" for up to a month after application, so if your dumb ass (my dumb ass in this case) installs a big "sticker" on the tank within oh 3 days, it just "might" develop air pockets...:lol: I'm surprised my tank pad is still on!:lol:

Gas Man
07-28-2009, 06:23 PM
What's up with the exclamation point? You do that yourself?

Amber Lamps
07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
What's up with the exclamation point? You do that yourself?

NC baby! You can use any symbols you want basically. It has got to confuse the shit out of the cops.:lol:

Gas Man
07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
That is awesome!!

Riceaholic
07-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Yea well, I had a couple problems with the last set but they were my fault. This is the 4th set of Stomp Grips that have been on this bike for various reasons and hopefully the last!

I just rub sexwax on my tank...

Amber Lamps
07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I just rub sexwax on my tank...

Yea I heard that was good but I wouldn't want that on my jeans...:whistle:

Homeslice
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Big problem is if you let the stompgrips sit in the hot sun BEFORE you put them on.......the glue gets all runny and it comes off when you peel the backing off.

Stompgrips are great for hard braking, but for quick transitions I don't like how you have to practically lift your leg off the shit in order to pivot around. There's another company that makes grips, I forgot their name, but theirs are black and much less aggressive.

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Big problem is if you let the stompgrips sit in the hot sun BEFORE you put them on.......the glue gets all runny and it comes off when you peel the backing off.

Stompgrips are great for hard braking, but for quick transitions I don't like how you have to practically lift your leg off the shit in order to pivot around. There's another company that makes grips, I forgot their name, but theirs are black and much less aggressive.

TechSpec...

http://www.techspec-usa.com/

Sixxxxer
07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
So you already basically had ntegrated blinkers and tailights and you added a second set of both??

Interesting.

My buddies Stomp Grips Def wore into his leather A star suit...Not a hole but you can def see the wear mark.

Amber Lamps
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
So you already basically had ntegrated blinkers and tailights and you added a second set of both??

Interesting.

My buddies Stomp Grips Def wore into his leather A star suit...Not a hole but you can def see the wear mark.

Yea, I wanted a new undertail and this one was cheap, $69 shipped, and already white. As far the Stompgrips go, I've used them or a variant since '01 so I'm used to them.:idk: