PDA

View Full Version : supercross: the movie

itgirl
04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
anybody seen it? it was on fX the other night. i was bored and it had bikes in it, so i watched it. kinda cheesy.

anyways, the plot was about these 2 brothers that race supercross as privateers. then one brother gets picked up for a factory ride, however, his main job is not to win, but to run interference with other riders so the star of the team gets on the podium.

does that stuff happen in the real racing world? does one teammate exist solely to keep others outta the real star's way? or is it just hollywood fantasy?

Trip
04-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I remember that piece o shit movie. That thing was bad. I know that kind of shit use to happen in F1 all the time, don't know about moto.

Cutty72
04-07-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah, i have it... burned a copy one time. It's ok.
I'm sure stuff like that happens in any race team. Probably not gonna can one team member if they take the win over the other. Unless they take OUT the "star" to do it however.

dReWpY
04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
ppl help out teammates, used to work for a large mx team ...

itgirl
04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
that's just playin' dirty though.

Cutty72
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
that's just playin' dirty though.

not really.
the purpose of a race is to win
if i'm blocking you, i was at some point obviously faster in some way than you.
If I then block your passing lane, forcing you to stay behind me, I must be in some way a better rider/racer.

It's the name of the game.

I don't think they ever purposly crashed anyone out... but it's been awhile since i've seen it... that would be dirty.

itgirl
04-07-2008, 09:30 PM
i see your point, if it's just you against that other person. but if your teammate is purposely blocking people so you can win, that doesn't say much about your skills then.

Cutty72
04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
i see your point, if it's just you against that other person. but if your teammate is purposely blocking people so you can win, that doesn't say much about your skills then.

Ya gotta get to the front to be able to win... even if others are blocked... you still got there.

byron12
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM

The main pirpose of racing is for factories to showcase their products and win. Since their funding is nessacary for racing to even exist things like team orders are reality it is not actually as bad as it sounds because winning races is about alot more than simply being fast strategy is how you win and team orders are simply part of overall strategy that factory teams use to win races.
One of my favorite examples of team orders was back in the day of world rally being on american tv. It was the rally corsica and francios delecore the crazy frenchman driving for peuguot was leading the rally and peaguot needed marcus gronholm to win as he was leading the drivers championship so they ordered delecore to step aside and let marcus win he drove like a crazed mad man whooped gronholms ass and then pulled over right b efore the finish and let him win...

Quick281
04-08-2008, 10:37 PM
One of my favorite examples of team orders was back in the day of world rally being on american tv. It was the rally corsica and francios delecore the crazy frenchman driving for peuguot was leading the rally and peaguot needed marcus gronholm to win as he was leading the drivers championship so they ordered delecore to step aside and let marcus win he drove like a crazed mad man whooped gronholms ass and then pulled over right b efore the finish and let him win...

What Fing weaksauce!!!! I would have been out raged and thats as a viewer.

1hottbikechic
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I personally liked the movie alot, sure it was cheesy, but that is exactly how behind the scenes are, and the industry is.

This week, tomorrow actually Travis Pastrana has 199 lives coming out, I'm stoked....

Quick281
04-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I personally liked the movie alot, sure it was cheesy, but that is exactly how behind the scenes are, and the industry is.

This week, tomorrow actually Travis Pastrana has 199 lives coming out, I'm stoked....

TV, dvd? where? I haven't followed him closely, but I have always though highly of the kid.

byron12
04-09-2008, 02:43 AM
What Fing weaksauce!!!! I would have been out raged and thats as a viewer.

Dude it was so awesome man their is no way delacore would have put on a show like that as a frenchman in front the french if those orders had not existed it was beautiful thing to witness;hell they weren't showing marcus gronholm on TV. 1hotbikechick is right though it is really like that.

One must understand the reality of manufacture driven motorsports such as motorcycle racing, sports car racing and rallying. These sports lose money the don't make their money of TV deals and fans buying tickets: they are driven by the factories who have a specific business goal to reach through racing and that is to win races so they can sell their products. That said though there is alot of blocking and crap in f1 but that shit doesn't fly in motorcycle racing it simply too dangerous, but if two teamates are out front with a good lead and the one thats leading the points is in secound there is good chance that they would order the leading rider to let the points leader win the race and that is all part of the strategy of a season of racing and if your someone that follows an entire year that element itself can be enertaining. If you want to see pure unadulterated racing with no team orders watch nascar if they ever do it in nascar it is very secret. Of course the finish in both motorcycle racing and nascar is usually so close that this type of strategic maneuver is impossible.

1hottbikechic
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
TV, dvd? where? I haven't followed him closely, but I have always though highly of the kid.

It's going to be in our theaters here in MD, I would check out the movies website and see if it'll be near you. This area is a huge MX SX area though so maybe that has something to do with it I'm not sure. Travis Pastrana: 199 Lives

Dude it was so awesome man their is no way delacore would have put on a show like that as a frenchman in front the french if those orders had not existed it was beautiful thing to witness;hell they weren't showing marcus gronholm on TV. 1hotbikechick is right though it is really like that.

One must understand the reality of manufacture driven motorsports such as motorcycle racing, sports car racing and rallying. These sports lose money the don't make their money of TV deals and fans buying tickets: they are driven by the factories who have a specific business goal to reach through racing and that is to win races so they can sell their products. That said though there is alot of blocking and crap in f1 but that shit doesn't fly in motorcycle racing it simply too dangerous, but if two teamates are out front with a good lead and the one thats leading the points is in secound there is good chance that they would order the leading rider to let the points leader win the race and that is all part of the strategy of a season of racing and if your someone that follows an entire year that element itself can be enertaining. If you want to see pure unadulterated racing with no team orders watch nascar if they ever do it in nascar it is very secret. Of course the finish in both motorcycle racing and nascar is usually so close that this type of strategic maneuver is impossible.

He is so right. I have been this time and time again, not just in SX but in superbike as well. When you sitting in the pits watching the same times everyone else on the team is, you hear alot of talk and you know pretty much if the race continues to go the way it had been who is going to win well before they actually do. Like he said its all strategy, and its all entertainment. Does this mean the rider isnt working their ass off the hardest, no way, its just how it goes.

itgirl
04-09-2008, 08:56 AM

i think all bike movies end up being cheesy. :( except On Any Given Sunday. but that was more documentary, i think. at least the boys in that supercross movie were easy on the eyes. especially Rowdy. :drool:

fnfalman
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
On Any Sunday is a documentary. But yes, most of the racing movies are kinda lame. But the supermoto racing scene was pretty cool and the chicks were HAWT!!! I can't decide which one is hotter, the blondie or the brunette.

itgirl
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
On Any Sunday is a documentary. But yes, most of the racing movies are kinda lame. But the supermoto racing scene was pretty cool and the chicks were HAWT!!! I can't decide which one is hotter, the blondie or the brunette.

i thought it was a documentary. i haven't seen it since i was 12. i remember liking it though.

byron12
04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
i thought it was a documentary. i haven't seen it since i was 12. i remember liking it though.

on any sunday is the best motorcycle movie ever I have it on dvd. Another good motorsport movie is Dust to Glory which is made by dana brown the director of on any sundays son. I can watch the part of in deleted scenes of Dust to glory were onboard camera man keeps up with Mouse Mcoy during the race they haul some serious ass with crazy mexicans driving the wrong way towards em on the course dude following mouse finally decides that it is stupid and lets him go some of the best motorcyle footage I have ever see for sure.

Rider
04-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Worst movie of all time...