View Full Version : Shumacher back to F1!

smileyman
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
The Red Baron will fly again, this time filling in at Ferrari for an injured Felipe Massa. Could be in the car for the Aug 23rd round in Valencia Spain. Does the 7 time World Champ have the potential to ride to the front after playing motorcycle racer?

Bluestreak
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
As much as I would LOVE to see him be a big contender, I don't think the Ferrari's have the stuff to do it this year. Red Bull and Brawn are running away with the championship this year.

Michael will probably do well. Qualifying will be a good indicator.

smileyman
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I agree, his equipment isnt class leading, so I am eager to see what he can do with absolutely nothing to lose. His racecraft and presence is enough of an advantage but when you factor how long he has sat out, will he really be invigorated, motivated, and eager enough to close the tech gap?

Bluestreak
07-29-2009, 03:24 PM
The real question is, how pissed off was Alonzo when he found out Shumacher was racing again!! :lol:

I wish Massa well, but I'm happy to see Shu in the seat again.

Now I'm going to have to watch the Hungry race on Tivo so I can see exactly what happened to Massa.

goof2
08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
And Schumacher is back out again apparently due to injuries sustained crashing a motorcycle in a race.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/f1/news/story?id=4390787

Looni2ns
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
It's so disappointing. The only person who probably didn't want him back was Kimi. Now, what do you think will happen if this Luca guys actually gives Kimi a run for his $$. Oh, that'll be a hoot!

smileyman
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Hmmmm? Makes you wonder if it is true. I know he did injure himself earlier this year on/off bike but since he did not get to participate in the last test due to a technicality he may be ducking out of a losing situation...

Looni2ns
08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Nah, it's probably his neck. Apparently, he did a real number on it and fractured vertebrae when he wrecked. It was part of the deal with his wife when he agreed to come back and ride for Massa. Besides, he has such loyalty to Ferrari that I don't think the testing situation would keep him from running.

Hydrant
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Schumacher cancels F1 comeback
Aug 11, 2009 - 02:00 PM

All that hype and preparation will amount to nothing. Specifically for Michael Schumacher who has canceled his F1 comeback thanks to a pain in the neck sustained after a motorcycle injury earlier in the year. A disappointed Schumacher said, “Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and Team Principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe. I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out. Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.”

Schumacher added, “The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe. That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet. This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon. As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination already yesterday.

Theories will definitely rise that will say he backed out due to lack of practice in the F60. But Schumacher had been training in the F2007 and was scheduled to do more tests on Wednesday. “I am disappointed to the core. I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me. I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races,” he added.

With this chapter seemingly closed, the bigger question for Ferrari is that they have lost two weeks of prep time and are back to not having a replacement for Felipe Massa. Test drivers Luca Badoer or Marc Gene -- both termed useless by former champion Niki Lauda -- are favourites for the job now.

http://www.racingpad.com/formula1-news/f1-news/schumacher-cancels-f1-comeback/

smileyman
08-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Not to discredit Schumi, i like him alot, but if it had been, say Haga, or Bayliss fighting back from injury, they woulda been out there. But Schumi has nothing to prove so pain meds, a carbon fiber neck brace, risk of permanent paralysis probably tempered his eagerness to drive agin...

6doublefive321
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Schumi is a dirty fucking German. Brawn was the secret to his success. That being said, I really wish he would have driven. Never a dull moment with that dude driving.

smileyman
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Your confused right? We are discussing Michael Schumacher? Ferrari driver and 7 time F1 champ? Ross Brawn wasnt holding the wheel. He never drove for Brawn team, they didnt even exist when he retired. Ross was not the man.

goof2
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Your confused right? We are discussing Michael Schumacher? Ferrari driver and 7 time F1 champ? Ross Brawn wasnt holding the wheel. He never drove for Brawn team, they didnt even exist when he retired. Ross was not the man.

Braun was technical director for both Benetton and Ferrari during Schumacher's tenure with each team.

6doublefive321
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't even post.

smileyman
08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
a good tech director fine and he is obviously talented with organization, witness the Brawn Teams domination, BUT to claim he is the sole reason behind all 7 championships discounts the contribution of the entire team and driver.

6doublefive321
08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
a good tech director fine and he is obviously talented with organization, witness the Brawn Teams domination, BUT to claim he is the sole reason behind all 7 championships discounts the contribution of the entire team and driver.

Whatever. I don't see the word "sole" anywhere in my post. Look up how many wins Schumi had with Brawn, and how many he had without Brawn. As you clearly demonstrated, not a lot of people understand that Brawn contributed heavily to Schumi's domination. Until this season, Jensen button had a whopping 1 victory. He has 6 this year driving for Brawn. I see a common denominator, and it isn't the driver.

smileyman
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Well this is racing. Sometimes it is the man and sometimes it is the machine, sometimes it is a combination. Of Schumis 7 you could argue he won using a variety. But it is like saying Jeremy Burgess made Rossi or Doohan. They may not have been as successful without him but wy discount thier talent drive and ability? Schumi is not my fav driver but his dominance is not simply because of his tech director...Of course your welcome to disagree justhelp us slow minds keep up with your reasoning, your first post sounded a little biggotted.

Looni2ns
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
The secret to success is all of the team members working together. Brawn, Schumi, Ferrari worked well together as a team. Brawn seems to know how to get them to work together. He contributed a lot, but Schumi was behind the wheel. The car didn't drive itself.

cuttle
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Not to discredit Schumi, i like him alot, but if it had been, say Haga, or Bayliss fighting back from injury, they woulda been out there. But Schumi has nothing to prove so pain meds, a carbon fiber neck brace, risk of permanent paralysis probably tempered his eagerness to drive agin...

I read in ther german news that he didn't get clearance from the doctor to race.... the neck has to withstand 4g's at F1 and his apparently would not.

Schumi was/is an excelent racer, no doubt, but he also pulled some questionable stunts: anybody remember the last lap during qualifiying in Monaco? :skep:

smileyman
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh he can be quite an ass! Ask Damon Hill, Jacque Villeneuve, Coulthard, and others. Every up and comer probably got their fill of his alpha dog tactics. He still had some brilliant moments, quite a few really.

6doublefive321
08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Well this is racing. Sometimes it is the man and sometimes it is the machine, sometimes it is a combination. Of Schumis 7 you could argue he won using a variety. But it is like saying Jeremy Burgess made Rossi or Doohan. They may not have been as successful without him but wy discount thier talent drive and ability? Schumi is not my fav driver but his dominance is not simply because of his tech director...Of course your welcome to disagree justhelp us slow minds keep up with your reasoning, your first post sounded a little biggotted.

No doubt about it. I hate the fucker. Arrogant, dirty, and self centered. But, a damn good driver. Planets aligned, and dude won a lot of races with a great team. Would he have won as much without Brawn? Hell no. Would Brawn have won as much without Schumi? Nope. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to say that Button is the best driver in F1, but there he is atop the points. In F1, the car is much more of a factor than in other motorsports.

smileyman
08-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I agree with all that. Happy for Jenson though, he,s paid his dues and deserves his time on top...

6doublefive321
08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Button's a class act, and deserves some success. I'm just bummed that they took a month off. Nascar doesn't do it for me, and Indy may as well fold the tents up.

smileyman
08-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Nascar bites big ones. Indy Cars never had my attention like F1 did. I remember watching Senna, Mansell, Hill, and thinking damn what a great sport....