PDA

View Full Version : Suffering fuel economy?

Triple
07-30-2009, 08:58 AM

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Ideas or suggestions?

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1851871352#post1851871352

First, I'd doing some research and find out if there is a thickness or size difference between the rotors and I would check to see if there is a difference in overall "width" between the inner/outer edges of the rotors on the wheel. Sometimes you have to shim different parts to make these kinds of swaps work. You may have to shim the rotors out so they don't ride on the inside pads of the caliper.:idk: If the rotors are larger in diameter, you may have to shim the caliper "out" to compensate.

askmrjesus
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
First, I'd doing some research and find out if there is a thickness or size difference between the rotors and I would check to see if there is a difference in overall "width" between the inner/outer edges of the rotors on the wheel. Sometimes you have to shim different parts to make these kinds of swaps work. You may have to shim the rotors out so they don't ride on the inside pads of the caliper.:idk: If the rotors are larger in diameter, you may have to shim the caliper "out" to compensate.

Ideally, this should have been done before you tried to set your rotors on fire. :lol:

JC

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Ideally, this should have been done before you tried to set your rotors on fire. :lol:

JC

:lol: You could always just get a GSXR front wheel...

askmrjesus
07-30-2009, 10:13 AM
:lol: You could always just get a GSXR front wheel...

And GSXR calipers...

(And GSXR master cylinder, motor, seat, fairing, frame and, well, a GSXR) :lol:

JC

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 10:15 AM
And GSXR calipers...

JC

Shit I figured that he had GSXR calipers since I don't know if SV calipers would fit on GSXR forks...:idk: I guess they might....:idk:

askmrjesus
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Shit I figured that he had GSXR calipers since I don't know if SV calipers would fit on GSXR forks...:idk: I guess they might....:idk:

I don't know either, and I'm not looking it up.

JC

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
And GSXR calipers...

(And GSXR master cylinder, motor, seat, fairing, frame and, well, a GSXR) :lol:

JC

:lol: I wonder if someone could just figure out a way to spoon a SV1000 motor into a GSXR chassis.... That might make for a cool bike.

I don't know either, and I'm not looking it up.

JC

Me either I'm wayyyyy to lazy and medicated for that shit!!!!:lol:

askmrjesus
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
:lol: I wonder if someone could just figure out a way to spoon a SV1000 motor into a GSXR chassis.... That might make for a cool bike.

Or, he could just buy a TLR, and call it a day. :lol:

JC

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Or, he could just buy a TLR, and call it a day. :lol:

JC

Maybe OSP will sell him his... Although, I never liked that rotary shock thing they had going...:panic: I rode my buddy's at the track and never felt comfortable. It might be just me though....

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The research I did prior to the swap indicated that the 2006/07 GSX-R600/750 forks and brakes would match up to the 2003-07 SV wheel and rotors perfectly. Only the addition of a GSXR wheel spacer was necessary (apparently), which I'm using.

I'm going to disassemble and clean my brake calipers and master cylinder, see if that helps. Just when I thought I was finally finished with this thing...

See, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but if you had to use a different spacer, that tells me that the width is different...:idk: No wait... maybe the width is different between the SV and the GSXR but everything else lines up... hmmm. When you put the bike on a front stand, does the wheel turn freely? No offense, btw. You should be able to see a difference in space between "inside and outside". I'm suspicious because another person seems to have your same problem on your forum.

No Worries
07-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Disc brakes are supposed to take up the slack of new or worn pads. The O-ring in the caliper, which is actually square-edged, moves the pads away from the rotor. Either it ain't doing it's job, or the piston and or the bore is pitted so the piston can't withdraw. Have you done a good bleeding?

Amber Lamps
07-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Disc brakes are supposed to take up the slack of new or worn pads. The O-ring in the caliper, which is actually square-edged, moves the pads away from the rotor. Either it ain't doing it's job, or the piston and or the bore is pitted so the piston can't withdraw. Have you done a good bleeding?

That's a good point but the problem would have been the same with the old set-up right?:idk: