PDA

View Full Version : Frame Sliders, which brand?

Quick281
04-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Yes, in a continuance of threads concerning my big tune up day this weekend, I have posted yet another thread in hope of tapping the intellectual capacity of this sick sick group of people. :rockwoot:

I would like to install frame sliders on my bike. I am thinking about putting the new fairing on this weekend and figured it would be a good time to install some frame sliders.

Based on my own logic it seems that cut frame sliders would severe a better purpose even if by a slim margin. So I don't mind cutting into a fairing to install the sliders. Most of the excuses I was reading on the gixxer.com forums were full of t3h poops. I am a new rider, but I am smart enough to know that I will end up laying it down at some point. Either by complete accident or because I was really pushing myself at a track day.

On the other place I recall a thread and several people were discussing the important of the actual material used on the slider. Advice please?

Which fairing will I be cutting into? Because the right side of my bike is already torn up and I would have an extra right side fairing to perfect the cutting action before taking it to my brand new fairing if needed.

Thanks in advance!

And yes, you can expect many more threads. I will noob this place up if no one else will.:sorry:

Becca_007
04-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Delrin is the material you are looking for.

For brand I got lucky and came across a fellow board member (bike specific board) who machined mine for me. Far cheaper than having to go retail, and for bike they don't make many retail options anyway.

Mr Lefty
04-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Delrin is the material you are looking for.

For brand I got lucky and came across a fellow board member (bike specific board) who machined mine for me. Far cheaper than having to go retail, and for bike they don't make many retail options anyway.
True... but you want something with plastic slider... not metal... from what I've seen metal tends to grip and bend or dig in and causes more damage... the plastic sliders well slide better and then you can replace the "puck" part.

marko138
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Look for vortex sliders. They have replacable delrin sliders. That way when you ditch it you can just buy a replacement puck and not the whole deal. The cut sliders, in most cases, are gonna be a better option. The problem with no cuts is the bracket often damages the frame in a crash...the complete opposite of what the 'frame slider' is supposed to do.

Quick281
04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Sounds like Vortex is what I need to then. Off to find some.

fpzx10
04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I just ordered these. Woodcraft. One of the advantages is that the puck attached by a screw on the side. So if you go down, you don't have to dig the delrin out of the hollow part of the slider to get to the bolt head (I know this from experience & I think Trip will agree)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/fpzx10/Framesliders350.jpg

BTW... Don't get the colored ones. They are aluminum and don't hold up like the black ones (plastic)

marko138
04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Woodcraft makes a good product.

z06boy
04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
I have these. My wife dropped the R6 in the driveway and they served their purpose. That's the only "testing" we've done and hope it is all that we do. :whistle:

Crash kit....

http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Shogun_Crash_Kit_-_Yamaha_R1_(07)_-_Black.htm

comonboys
04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Cutty had some on the sv. Not exactly sure what they are but I wish I would have had some on my 250. I was in the parking lot and slipped on some gravel lost my footing and then was under the bike. Only a scratch on my pinstriping but had I had those might not have seen any damage. Just to my leg that is....... Still have the scars cause the bike landed on me.

marko138
04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Cutty had some on the sv. Not exactly sure what they are but I wish I would have had some on my 250. I was in the parking lot and slipped on some gravel lost my footing and then was under the bike. Only a scratch on my pinstriping but had I had those might not have seen any damage. Just to my leg that is....... Still have the scars cause the bike landed on me.
Frame sliders aren't neccessarily gonna stop scratching the fairings. They are to save frame damage. Some are long enough to minimize fairing damage, however.

Becca_007
04-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Guess I should have specified. He machined the bracket portion but the sliders themselves are delrin :).

Cutty72
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Lockhart Philips.

the 1125 doesn't have sliders... that's what them big ol pods are for.

Captain Morgan
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I have these. My wife dropped the R6 in the driveway and they served their purpose. That's the only "testing" we've done and hope it is all that we do. :whistle:

Crash kit....

http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Shogun_Crash_Kit_-_Yamaha_R1_(07)_-_Black.htm

Those will protect the fairing in the situation in which your bike went down, a simple driveway drop. However, they suck balls if you go down at speed. The bracket will bend and damage the frame. I speak from experience. Frame sliders are meant to protect the frame, not the fairings. The "no body modification" sliders suck balls. Buy some real frame sliders and throw the others in the trash. I wouldn't even sell them to some clown on ebay, simply because they suck.

z06boy
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Those will protect the fairing in the situation in which your bike went down, a simple driveway drop. However, they suck balls if you go down at speed. The bracket will bend and damage the frame. I speak from experience. Frame sliders are meant to protect the frame, not the fairings. The "no body modification" sliders suck balls. Buy some real frame sliders and throw the others in the trash. I wouldn't even sell them to some clown on ebay, simply because they suck.

Yea I've heard of people going down and they did work and some like you say they don't work...pretty much like everything else...especially when listening to all of the experts on the internet.:idk:

I agree with you on what they were designed for...maybe I'll change them later...maybe I won't.

I've owned several sportbikes and never even had frame sliders on any of them until now so I'm still better off than I have been in the past. Yes I've dropped bikes and never bent the frame even without the sliders...just hurt the plastic...levers and signals...been lucky I guess.:whistle:

Gas Man
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Just don't get LP carbon inlay... they are junk!!

Want proof?

Here ya go!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/ZX9R/6.jpg

Quick281
04-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Just don't get LP carbon inlay... they are junk!!

Want proof?

Here ya go!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/ZX9R/6.jpg

You my good man, should be renamed to the picture dood. Once again thanks for the pictures, another product I know to veer away from.

Mr Lefty
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
yeah Gas has FUCKING ENDLESS amounts of pics... and they all fit in 3 catagories... Thread bombs (the funny "powned" type)
Chicks
informative bike pics (this catagorie is further divided into 2 catagories... Sportbikes and CHROME)

before he got the BIGDOG he was a MAJOR :pwhore2: he's still got the :pwhore2: crown in my mind... 39K posts in like 4 years... dear GOD

Dave
04-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Lockhart Philips.

the 1125 doesn't have sliders... that's what them big ol pods are for.

thats what ive got on the 954 and they did an awesome job of saving her when i lowsided. just mounted another set and bar ends

Quick281
04-09-2008, 12:37 AM
:pwhore2: crown in my mind... 39K posts in like 4 years... dear GOD

Thats fucking insane.

t-homo
04-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Quick. Good work on asking all these questions. Will make things a lot easier when more noobs start finding us looking for info. The forum wont be full of off-topic bullshitting only.

Quick281
04-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Quick. Good work on asking all these questions. Will make things a lot easier when more noobs start finding us looking for info. The forum wont be full of off-topic bullshitting only.

Thanks! I realize I am very new in what seems to be a forum full of experienced riders. I hope to put together some kind of FAQ that might help new riders along.

t-homo
04-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks! I realize I am very new in what seems to be a forum full of experienced riders.

That is the exact truth. I don't really post much in the riding threads and shit because I am still a fairly new rider, but always read through them to try to gain knowledge (then try to implement it in my riding unlike PG who just reads it and is a pro.)

Captain Morgan
04-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Yea I've heard of people going down and they did work and some like you say they don't work...pretty much like everything else...especially when listening to all of the experts on the internet.:idk:

I agree with you on what they were designed for...maybe I'll change them later...maybe I won't.

I've owned several sportbikes and never even had frame sliders on any of them until now so I'm still better off than I have been in the past. Yes I've dropped bikes and never bent the frame even without the sliders...just hurt the plastic...levers and signals...been lucky I guess.:whistle:

I guess it all depends on how you drop the bike. Drop it with any force and those things won't work as true frame sliders. But don't worry, I didn't believe the internet experts either. I didn't want to hassle with cutting my plastics and figured the no-cut frame sliders would work just as well. Then I dropped my bike on the track and had to see for myself what those POS no-cut sliders are good for, which is nothing. Had to buy a new fairing and repair the frame. So, it's completely up to you what you do. After all, it's your bike.

z06boy
04-09-2008, 08:55 AM
I guess it all depends on how you drop the bike. Drop it with any force and those things won't work as true frame sliders. But don't worry, I didn't believe the internet experts either. I didn't want to hassle with cutting my plastics and figured the no-cut frame sliders would work just as well. Then I dropped my bike on the track and had to see for myself what those POS no-cut sliders are good for, which is nothing. Had to buy a new fairing and repair the frame. So, it's completely up to you what you do. After all, it's your bike.

:beers: I understand what you're saying and these may not be "as good" as frame sliders that you have to cut your plastic... but they seem to be better than many of the other "no-cuts" according to several post I've read where people went down with these exact no-cuts that I installed and they did their job just fine. I guess we'll see if and when I "test" them...hopefully I won't have to. *fingers crossed*

PhiSig1071
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I just ordered these. Woodcraft. One of the advantages is that the puck attached by a screw on the side. So if you go down, you don't have to dig the delrin out of the hollow part of the slider to get to the bolt head (I know this from experience & I think Trip will agree)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/fpzx10/Framesliders350.jpg

BTW... Don't get the colored ones. They are aluminum and don't hold up like the black ones (plastic)

Woodcraft FTMFW!

I have a set of woodcraft frame sliders, spool sliders, and (had) rearsets on my bike. Those frame sliders are very easily the absolute best frame sliders on the market. I lowsided at more than 100 miles per hour in T1 at Jennings, the bike slid for quite some distance on the slider. It saved my bike. I picked my bike up, put a new footpeg on it (hence the 'had') and went back out next session. Then when I got home I ordered a new puck, for $15, and the slider was good as new.

It's a two-piece design, so you can replace the puck itself and not the base. It's cheaper that way. Plus the way the slider is cross bolted you have much more slider area for protection, and the bolt is easier to remove in case of an accident (straight through bolts on almost all other sliders will bend in an accident making them a bitch to remove).

Dood, don't fuck around, get Woodcraft!

the chi
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Look for vortex sliders. They have replacable delrin sliders. That way when you ditch it you can just buy a replacement puck and not the whole deal. The cut sliders, in most cases, are gonna be a better option. The problem with no cuts is the bracket often damages the frame in a crash...the complete opposite of what the 'frame slider' is supposed to do.

:iagree: I had the vortex on mine when I went down and they did a great job!! Better than expected!!

Its awesome to just replace the delrin part as is usually the case, but depending on the damage you do, you may end up replacing the assembly as well...mine held up awesome, ground completely down on one side and only at the end did the bolt itself end up bending...but at regular street riding conditions, I'd only have had to replace the delrin part...but the rest of my bike was untouched b/c I had the sliders...

DLIT
04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
One word. Vortex.

PhiSig1071
04-09-2008, 03:34 PM
One word. Vortex.

Two Words. Wood Craft.

The guy who founded Woodcraft (who's last name is Wood) is a privateer who saw the way other race parts were built and decided to build them the way they should be built. Vortex copied his design. If Woodcraft doesn't make it then I don't need it.

My $.02, take it or leave it.

Gas Man
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
You my good man, should be renamed to the picture dood. Once again thanks for the pictures, another product I know to veer away from.

yeah Gas has FUCKING ENDLESS amounts of pics... and they all fit in 3 catagories... Thread bombs (the funny "powned" type)
Chicks
informative bike pics (this catagorie is further divided into 2 catagories... Sportbikes and CHROME)

before he got the BIGDOG he was a MAJOR :pwhore2: he's still got the :pwhore2: crown in my mind... 39K posts in like 4 years... dear GOD

Yeah my PB account has about 4400 pics in it and about half a gig. If you guys were big dog riders... you would understand the scope of my picture taking. On the computer its 1.64GB just in big dog pics (and they aren't big megapixel pics either). I have a pic of almost every bolt on the bike. Is quite handy when a guy asks about something.

On what type of riding for what type of slider...

What is regular street riding. The pic that I put up was from me just riding back to the highway after hittin the twisties. Then one small deer makes a high side and that was the end result.

My point is that you must protect it at "air force level" even if you are just "bar hopping" street riding.

Thats fucking insane.

As I said... that was about a 40mph high side! :panic:

Quick281
04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Ordered Wood Craft sliders this morning.:rockwoot:

PhiSig1071
04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Ordered Wood Craft sliders this morning.:rockwoot:

:dthumb:

You will LOVE them!

fnfalman
04-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I have both RhinoMoto and WoodCraft on my Aprilias.

Rider
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Motovation makes real nice delrin sliders. www.motovationusa.com

kanwisch
04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Motovation makes real nice delrin sliders. www.motovationusa.com

My slider of choice as well.

Quick281
04-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Since I have a trend of concluding all of my threads I figured I should keep it up. That way any other newbies can see my complete path from question to satisfied product or unsatisfied etc etc.

Instructions were pretty clear. I think any hesitation I had to install them was because I wasn't ready to man up and cut 2 inch holes in each side of the bike. I went with cut sliders because no only were they cheaper, but they seem more logical as a choice for frame protection. I spent about 13 bucks to get the 2 inch cutter I needed and didn't have much trouble cutting the fairing properly.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pootiestang/Bike/Maintenance/Bike008.jpg
I did have the old fairing to practice on however. The right side is the easiest on my bike because the engine mount bolt is already visible, but the left side requires a hole to be drilled in order to find the mounting bolt on that side. Wasn't anything too hard, just nerve racking because I didn't have a messed up left side to practice on. :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pootiestang/Bike/Maintenance/Bike010.jpg

I also did the project in the driveway after dark with mosquitoes. It was miserable but I think it still turned out pretty well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pootiestang/Bike/Maintenance/Bike035.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pootiestang/Bike/Maintenance/Bike071.jpg

And some day light photos for comparison.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pootiestang/Bike/Maintenance/FirstTrip009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/pootiestang/Bike/Maintenance/FirstTrip005.jpg

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
nice! looks good bro! I'll be doing the same in September. but I've gotta replace both fairings also, so I'll have a practice one for each side

Quick281
04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
nice! looks good bro! I'll be doing the same in September. but I've gotta replace both fairings also, so I'll have a practice one for each side

Thanks! I am probably going to do a write up on how I did mine which could serve for many new members for a long time to come. If I take the time to put some black touch up paint around the hole on each fairing, I think I could rid of the small white line that is barely visible. Its a minor thing though.

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
yeah I would... my fairings are a dark blue... but I'll just use some black paint to get rid of the white.

ceo012384
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Looking good quick.

Woodcraft >> vortex. Many many people will vouch for this. Sliders, rearsets, the works. Woodcraft is the shit. I have woodcraft clipons on my r6.

Quick281
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Looking good quick.

Woodcraft >> vortex. Many many people will vouch for this. Sliders, rearsets, the works. Woodcraft is the shit. I have woodcraft clipons on my r6.

Woodcraft was kind and smart enough to give me one of their catalogs with my order. I will definitely be adding more of their parts as funds allow.

PhiSig1071
05-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Woodcraft was kind and smart enough to give me one of their catalogs with my order. I will definitely be adding more of their parts as funds allow.

Yep, Clip-on's and case covers are on my list of things to order. I had a set of Woodcraft rearsets and I loved them, if I ever need another set of rearsets I'll be buying Woodcraft again.

ceo012384
05-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Yep, Clip-on's and case covers are on my list of things to order. I had a set of Woodcraft rearsets and I loved them, if I ever need another set of rearsets I'll be buying Woodcraft again.
The woodcraft clipons are super nice.

I want everything they make, basically. Just don't have the money :lol:

PhiSig1071
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
The woodcraft clipons are super nice.

I want everything they make, basically. Just don't have the money :lol:

A friend of mine has the clip-on's, I helped him install them, they are georgeous! My issue is I could spend the money on the various parts I want, or tires and trackdays. So I keep buying tires and trackdays, and then when I crash I'll buy woodcraft stuff. :lol:

ceo012384
05-07-2008, 04:18 AM
A friend of mine has the clip-on's, I helped him install them, they are georgeous! My issue is I could spend the money on the various parts I want, or tires and trackdays. So I keep buying tires and trackdays, and then when I crash I'll buy woodcraft stuff. :lol:

I have the clipons, they're good shit.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC01540Medium.jpg

Now I just want the sliders, spools, rearsets, case covers, bodywork, etc...... :lol:

PhiSig1071
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
NICE!

I like those clip-ons, very pimp!

Quick281
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I have the clipons, they're good shit.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC01540Medium.jpg

Now I just want the sliders, spools, rearsets, case covers, bodywork, etc...... :lol:

This thread will take a noob revival! I realize that clip ons are pretty much new handle bars, right? What advantages can one seek from them?

I believe Woodcraft advertises that theirs are easy to adjust without having to remove half the bike to get to them as well as several adjustable positions. Does that pretty much cover it?

ceo012384
05-08-2008, 04:50 PM
This thread will take a noob revival! I realize that clip ons are pretty much new handle bars, right? What advantages can one seek from them?
There are several reasons/benefits to go to aftermarket clipons:

1. They allow you to crash, loosen a bolt, change the handlebar tube, and ride again.

2. The spare handlebar tubes are like 10 bucks each, instead of the stock clipons where if you crash you have to replace the whole thing.

3. Many clipons will change the riding position, angle of the handlebars, or even change whether the clipons are mounted above or below the top triple, etc.

4. The woodcrafts specifically allow you to not only change the handlebar without taking anything apart, but also allow you to entirely remove the clipon without taking the top triple clamp off.

Maybe there are other reasons/benefits I'm forgetting. Anyone?

Rider
05-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Woodcraft makes a nice clip on that raises the bars about an inch or so for a more comfortable ride.

MEDIC
05-15-2008, 03:58 AM
Yes, in a continuance of threads concerning my big tune up day this weekend, I have posted yet another thread in hope of tapping the intellectual capacity of this sick sick group of people. :rockwoot:

I would like to install frame sliders on my bike. I am thinking about putting the new fairing on this weekend and figured it would be a good time to install some frame sliders.

Based on my own logic it seems that cut frame sliders would severe a better purpose even if by a slim margin. So I don't mind cutting into a fairing to install the sliders. Most of the excuses I was reading on the gixxer.com forums were full of t3h poops. I am a new rider, but I am smart enough to know that I will end up laying it down at some point. Either by complete accident or because I was really pushing myself at a track day.

On the other place I recall a thread and several people were discussing the important of the actual material used on the slider. Advice please?

Which fairing will I be cutting into? Because the right side of my bike is already torn up and I would have an extra right side fairing to perfect the cutting action before taking it to my brand new fairing if needed.

Thanks in advance!

And yes, you can expect many more threads. I will noob this place up if no one else will.:sorry:

www.OESaccessories.com trust me !

Amber Lamps
05-15-2008, 05:17 AM
am I too late,,,http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17400