View Full Version : Bugs in my paint.

Triple
08-04-2009, 11:21 AM

shmike
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Paint.

NeonspeedRT
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Certain bugs (love bugs esp) will do that. There is a type of acid in certain bug guts that will "etch" into paint if left on for a long time. Anytime you get bug guts on your vehicle, make sure you clean it off as soon as you can. That's the only real way to prevent it from happening. At this point, a paint job is the only thing that will help. Sorry.

Amber Lamps
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Certain bugs (love bugs esp) will do that. There is a type of acid in certain bug guts that will "etch" into paint if left on for a long time. Anytime you get bug guts on your vehicle, make sure you clean it off as soon as you can. That's the only real way to prevent it from happening. At this point, a paint job is the only thing that will help. Sorry.

You can try a clay bar, it may help then a light buffing compound or cleaner wax. You're right about those bugs, I had one hit and left it on my blue reflective shield and now I'm missing the blue in the shape of a splattered bug!:panic:

No Worries
08-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Have you tried fine rubbing compound (Dupont Number 7 polishing compound)?

CrazyKell
08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Not sure if it would work or not but have you tried Goo gone?

HRCNICK11
08-08-2009, 05:39 PM
To remove bugs I use splat the stuff works great. Your problem might take buffing wheel and light compoud.

08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I was afraid that if I tried rubbing it out, I might actually "rub it in."

It's only safe to use a rubbing compound when the surface is totally clean, no?

I would clay before compounding.

Kerry_129
08-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Second that. Clay bar + a 'professional grade' cleaner/polisher/sealer like Klasse All-in-One.

http://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html

Also, a tip:
To ease de-bugging & avoid scratching the paint with hardened bits, just wet a towel, drape it over the windscreen/upper fairing & leave it for a while. Then just wipe it off after everything has softened up. Way easier & less scratch-prone than scrubbing, and especially nice after a long ride, when the last thing you feel like doing is cleaning & you can just leave the towel overnight.

101lifts2
08-25-2009, 02:42 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about crabs. lol Paint, not Pants.

racedoll
08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
WD-40 works pretty well too.

It is kind of like duct tape, good for everything!