PDA

View Full Version : RX8 or 350Z

JoJoYZF
08-04-2009, 11:45 PM
So I recently paid off my bike and decided to sell my car. Right now I think Ive got it narrowed down to two possibilities for new(er) cars, a mazda rx8 or a nissan 350z. Ive changed my mind quite a few times but it keeps coming back to these two. Both have similar power, are rwd, and would have a six speed manual. I know a few people have or had 350s, but has anyone driven a rx8? Ive never owned or worked on anything with a rotary engine. Opinions on either car would be great.

derf
08-04-2009, 11:50 PM
My lotus had a 13btt, awesome engine, and there is very little that can go wrong with it, the apex seals being the most common failure, although the RX8 has shown itself to be much improved over the rx7. They also burn a bit of oil, but overall definately a great engine.

Homeslice
08-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I'd go with the RX8 if you can tolerate the piss-poor mileage (typically only about 18 mpg so I've heard...)

The reason I wouldn't get a 350z is because I'd feel like shit every time I saw the new 370z which is superior in every way.

Dave
08-05-2009, 12:58 AM
the rx8 is very smooth, fun on twisty roads but feels somewhat underpowered. have you considered a used nsx? i dont know where the prices have gone since i bought mine but it will easily crush either of those porkers in any performance test you wanna name ;)

karl_1052
08-05-2009, 07:46 AM
RX-8 for sure.
too many knobs ride around in 350s.

As for NSX prices, they are alot higher than these two cars.

TYEster
08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Personally I say the Z. The 370 while "superior" in a few areas, doesn't make it a better car. If you can find a used 350 you'll be saving yourself about $20,000 right off the bat. *Plus the aftermarket for the 350 is astounding while there isn't much for the 370 at the moment.(if that's your cup o tea) It's also still possible to even find 03s(first year production) with under 40k miles.

I would NOT suggest an RX8 because every used one I have found with 40-60k miles, seems to have a rebuilt motor? What gives with that? I mean, 06s and 07s have them.

And NSXs from EARLY 90s are still going for about $20k range. BUT if you really want a car for the driving experience, test drive it. I hear they are still awesome, even if pricey.

Dave
08-05-2009, 09:07 AM
i got 13.1 @ 109 with boltons. Dyno'ed 270 and 210. If you look that route remember that 92 and down have manual steering racks which kinda limits you for aftermarket wheel sizes.

smileyman
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Z. It has torque, period. It will handle the RX in any setting save actual roadcourse racing. Besides the rotary engine is known for burning oil from new and not holding up as well as conv engines...

Cutty72
08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Problems with the rx8 they burn oil they get shit mileage and not long lasting. Rotary engine MAY last 100K if you baby it and treat it perfect.

pauldun170
08-05-2009, 10:10 AM
As much as I would like to recomend the RX-8 I can't.
350Z is a duechebag mobile but at least its a fun one that's prettyy much trouble free.

RX-8 once you get used to turning down "hey man...wanna go" requests and checking the oil every morning because you're paranoid of running it dry after only 500 mikes is a great car. It's just that it's a better weekend car than an actual real car.

It's up there with Triump (the car maker) or MG ownership.

Adeptus_Minor
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
It's up there with Triump (the car maker) or MG ownership.

Dude... I totally want an old MGB. Granted, I'd be a heretic and graft a small GM V6 motor into it... but still. redflip

And as for the RX8... c'mon... everyone knows that rotary motors were meant to be disposable.

unknownroad
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
i don't recall ever hearing anything good about the RX8. i know there was somebody on CF who had one that was a total lemon.

Personally, i'd save a few more bucks and go for a C5 'Vette :idk:

Dave
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
i don't recall ever hearing anything good about the RX8. i know there was somebody on CF who had one that was a total lemon.

those were cheap as hell for a few years there. Buddy of minejust got a z06 for somewhere under twenty

Cutty72
08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Rx8 handles well, but the 350 should handle as well and be more driveable and user friendly. I agree with the vette comment

Dave
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
if you do go 350 get the base model as i understand that the traction control was overly intrusive and could never be shut all the way off

TYEster
08-05-2009, 04:05 PM
if you do go 350 get the base model as i understand that the traction control was overly intrusive and could never be shut all the way off

Then you understand wrong. All TCS/VDC system CAN be disabled. The best models to get would be track or Nismo editions.(stock brembos). But any trim is suitable if you want to upgrade.

BTW if you're against a car for its particular stereotype owner, dont recommend a vette. Theres a similar ratio of cockgobblers who drive those too.

Dave
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Then you understand wrong. All TCS/VDC system CAN be disabled. The best models to get would be track or Nismo editions.(stock brembos). But any trim is suitable if you want to upgrade.

BTW if you're against a car for its particular stereotype owner, dont recommend a vette. Theres a similar ratio of cockgobblers who drive those too.

wasnt me that said it. Came from both scc and best motoring. at least its easy to ditch in the nsx. Pull up a panel and unplug a box. Stupid simple

Homeslice
08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
350z has cheap crap interior IMO........and bad ride quality. Not to mention it looks like an upside-down bathtub compared to the greatness that is the 370. Pony up for the 370. Interest rates are still cheap.

Dave
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
350z has cheap crap interior IMO........and bad ride quality. Not to mention it looks like an upside-down bathtub compared to the greatness that is the 370. Pony up for the 370. Interest rates are still cheap.

dumbed down shifter is FTMFL

racedoll
08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
To me both of the cars you mention sound more like "summer" cars. I don't understand why you would get one of those when you have a "summer" vehicle already?

pauldun170
08-05-2009, 07:40 PM
To me both of the cars you mention sound more like "summer" cars. I don't understand why you would get one of those when you have a "summer" vehicle already?

Why cant they be daily drivers?
what car does he have already?
What do you think he should get instead?

racedoll
08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Why cant they be daily drivers?
what car does he have already?
What do you think he should get instead?

They could be, but he lives in Cleveland - where they receive quite a bit of snow so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not have a vehicle that is half way decent in the snow. But maybe he has a spare car for that.

The only car I know of he has is the Mustang.

A Legacy GT, like me :) j/k I would just think you would want a nice vehicle you could drive at other times and still enjoy it without working if it's raining, snowing, or sunny.

Maybe it is just me, but I hate making decisions. So by having an "all purpose car" I don't really have to think. You know how women can be with decisions... :scared:

TYEster
08-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Convertibles are summer cars.

Not ones that have heated leather seat options.

101lifts2
08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Both ghey IMO...and while the rotary engine issues have gotton better over the years, the power sucks as does the fuel economy.

Get a 6.0L GTO.

Dave
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Both ghey IMO...and while the rotary engine issues have gotton better over the years, the power sucks as does the fuel economy.

Get a 6.0L GTO.

blah. I still find gm stealing a name from ferrari hilarious when homogolation is part of the name and gm didnt race in those days. Every one of those cars is a name fail

pauldun170
08-05-2009, 10:38 PM

Get a 6.0L GTO.

:iagree:

JoJoYZF
08-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I didnt think this thread would blow up this quick. Ill try to catch back up.

Not looking for a vette. Im still only 23 so insurance would be even worse than it will be for either one of these cars.

Looking to keep the price around $15k, and a new 370 is WAY over that.

Actually both of my vehicles are summer vehicles. I have the bike and a mustang convertible. Im used to having a car that sucks in snow and its really not that bad. Ive been driving the mustang in snow for 3 winters now and its nothing some snow tires and careful driving cant fix.

They could be, but he lives in Cleveland - where they receive quite a bit of snow so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not have a vehicle that is half way decent in the snow. But maybe he has a spare car for that.

The only car I know of he has is the Mustang.

A Legacy GT, like me :) j/k I would just think you would want a nice vehicle you could drive at other times and still enjoy it without working if it's raining, snowing, or sunny.

Maybe it is just me, but I hate making decisions. So by having an "all purpose car" I don't really have to think. You know how women can be with decisions... :scared:

The only all purpose cars I like are things like STis and Evos which are both awd turbo cars, but too pricey for me. And like I said, driving rwd in the snow doesnt bother me much anymore, especially since Im done with school, I dont have to drive real far in the winter anyway.

Get a 6.0L GTO.

Thought about a GTO but most of the 6.0 are a little too expensive for me. Any car I buy will have under 40k miles and stay under $15k and the only GTOs I saw that fit that are the 5.7s.

101lifts2
08-06-2009, 02:02 AM
^^^...Ur 23 and live in Ohio...Buy American. :lol

Chris S
08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
S2000 - then you can ditch the Mustang GT and buy a good DD.

JoJoYZF
08-06-2009, 09:48 AM
^^^...Ur 23 and live in Ohio...Buy American. :lol

Every car Ive owned so far was american. Ive done my part and for what Im looking to spend there isnt much Im interested in thats built in america.

My mustang is only a v6, not a gt, which is one of the main reasons Im selling it. I only bought it to learn to drive stick anyway. And I dont want another convertible as a dd. Ive owned one convertible as a dd and drove one that my parents owned as a dd for a few months and I wont be doing that again. The only time Ill own another one is as a weekend only car.

Dave
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
they make hardtops for em

JoJoYZF
08-06-2009, 09:56 AM
They make hardtops for miatas too, but that still doesnt do it for me.

z06boy
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I like both cars and we are considering both cars for the wife.

Personally we like the 350Z better. We like the 370Z even better than the 350Z but obviously you can find better deals on the 350Z.

I like other cars mentioned here too but since you initially asked about these two I figured I'd just stick with that.

JoJoYZF
08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Ive been leaning towards the 350z too but you can find better deals on the rx8. I have no experience with them or their rotary engines but this thread is pushing me towards the 350 even more I think.

Homeslice
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
better like a hard ride and a fart-sounding exhaust then, lol

smileyman
08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Z. end of thread, lock, close whatever. course I am a former owner so....

Dave
08-06-2009, 09:20 PM
that intake manifold sucks. watch out for the front pistons

azoomm
08-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Ive been leaning towards the 350z too but you can find better deals on the rx8. I have no experience with them or their rotary engines but this thread is pushing me towards the 350 even more I think.

Go with the Z.

After spending the time that I do at the track - the RX8 is a piece of crap. Each one has [or will shortly have] it's motor replaced. And, to say time... I'm there a few times a week to watch motors to roundy round. :wink:

karl_1052
08-06-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFXtiKxD6Y

TYEster
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Here's an even bigger comparison of a similar range of vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8eKvoTQHY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fhome.php&feature=player_embedded

*hit mute unless you can understand wtf their saying

JoJoYZF
08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
better like a hard ride and a fart-sounding exhaust then, lol

The stiff ride doesnt bother me and the exhaust sounds A LOT better than the rx8 does.

Z. end of thread, lock, close whatever. course I am a former owner so....

I was waiting for your post since I knew you used to have one. Anything you really liked or really disliked about it?

Go with the Z.

After spending the time that I do at the track - the RX8 is a piece of crap. Each one has [or will shortly have] it's motor replaced. And, to say time... I'm there a few times a week to watch motors to roundy round. :wink:

I heard from a few people at work that those motors are crap too. It seems to be unanimous.

Here's an even bigger comparison of a similar range of vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8eKvoTQHY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fhome.php&feature=player_embedded

Id absolutely love to have an m3. Ive loved those things since I first starting getting into cars about 10 or 12 years ago.

goof2
08-06-2009, 11:33 PM

I wish I could understand wtf they are saying. I know the M3 was held up by practically every car on the track but it had open road for at least a lap and didn't seem to gain any ground on the 350Z. That 350 had to have been some kind of Japanese Nismo special edition to keep a lead on a 400hp V8 M3.

TYEster
08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
I wish I could understand wtf they are saying. I know the M3 was held up by practically every car on the track but it had open road for at least a lap and didn't seem to gain any ground on the 350Z. That 350 had to have been some kind of Japanese Nismo special edition to keep a lead on a 400hp V8 M3.

It was in fact the Nismo edition.

The difference that makes is it's got all the same things as the track edition Z along with a bodykit. It retains the exact same motor and HP output as my enthusiast-trim Z.

My guess is the M3 has a similar power/weight ratio, in that it may have more power, but more weight as well.

goof2
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
It was in fact the Nismo edition.

The difference that makes is it's got all the same things as the track edition Z along with a bodykit. It retains the exact same motor and HP output as my enthusiast-trim Z.

My guess is the M3 has a similar power/weight ratio, in that it may have more power, but more weight as well.

There were a number of different Nismo editions in Japan. Some are bodykit only, some add displacement and horsepower.

I know weight can make a difference, but there is only 350lbs between the two cars (M3 coupe and US Nismo) and the BMW still has a significant power/weight ratio advantage.

Dave
08-07-2009, 11:23 AM
There were a number of different Nismo editions in Japan. Some are bodykit only, some add displacement and horsepower.

I know weight can make a difference, but there is only 350lbs between the two cars (M3 coupe and US Nismo) and the BMW still has a significant power/weight ratio advantage.

really depends who is driving. If its gan-san all bets are off. Ive seen him take and hold the lead with a 300 hp disadvantage

z06boy
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Id absolutely love to have an m3. Ive loved those things since I first starting getting into cars about 10 or 12 years ago.

Yeah I didn't mention the M3 either since it wasn't one of your initial choices but if it was and you can afford it...I'd take it over the other two in your first post. :lol:

JoJoYZF
08-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah I didn't mention the M3 either since it wasn't one of your initial choices but if it was and you can afford it...I'd take it over the other two in your first post. :lol:

Trust me Ive looked for them. The only problem is I like the 03+ m3s the best and theyre definitely not cheap. I found a couple mid to late 90s models that I can afford but Im not as big of a fan of those.

smileyman
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
K guys buckle up...On a real track available traction and drivebility mean more than power to weight. Balance, transitioning the corner and being able to get a drive is what gets you speed and is why an RX8 is actually a player. BUT this isnt about buying a race car. It is a weekendy sporty car he wants. The Z is going to have better quality, specially a 06-09. They are very good handling, slick shifting, hard braking ride. Ride is firm but he isnt looking for a lux sedan. Mine was a base model and a real bargain that needed nothing fron the aftermarket or maint wise to keep it carving. Gas and GO!

101lifts2
08-07-2009, 10:27 PM

He doesn't want a convertible useless pos.

Dave
08-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Trust me Ive looked for them. The only problem is I like the 03+ m3s the best and theyre definitely not cheap. I found a couple mid to late 90s models that I can afford but Im not as big of a fan of those.

if you can get up to 20k that puts you in used m5 territory, Zr1 vettes too unless they increased in value again

JoJoYZF
08-08-2009, 12:47 AM
if you can get up to 20k that puts you in used m5 territory, Zr1 vettes too unless they increased in value again

I could go that far but I really dont want to becuase Im trying to keep my payments lower since I havent found a job in my career yet. My job now could cover higher payments but it would start getting tighter.

goof2
08-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I could go that far but I really dont want to becuase Im trying to keep my payments lower since I havent found a job in my career yet. My job now could cover higher payments but it would start getting tighter.

If it were me I wouldn't want to either. A fun car stops being fun when paying for it is difficult.

JoJoYZF
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
If it were me I wouldn't want to either. A fun car stops being fun when paying for it is difficult.

Exactly

Chris S
08-10-2009, 01:52 AM
I have an E90 M3, and IMO it's the best all-around car on the market. About all I can complain about is it's thirst for fuel, but no surprise there. Still have more fun driving my well-modded NC Miata, though.

Rider
08-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Neither. The Rx-8 is waaaay down on power but they handle really nicely. I drove one on a demo back when they first came out(2003).The Z350 is just...... bland. Get a G35, same as a Z350 but much better fit and finish.

pauldun170
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Neither. The Rx-8 is waaaay down on power but they handle really nicely. I drove one on a demo back when they first came out(2003).The Z350 is just...... bland. Get a G35, same as a Z350 but much better fit and finish.

Are G35's in his price range?

Rider
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM

He said he could go as high as 20K. You can easily get a G35 for that. If you go back to 2004 you can find them for $15k.

JoJoYZF
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Nope. Ive been looking for them and all thats in my price range is the sedan which I dont want. The coupes are awesome cars but too pricey still.

JoJoYZF
08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
He said he could go as high as 20K. You can easily get a G35 for that. If you go back to 2004 you can find them for $15k.

I said I could but Im trying not too since it would start making money a little tight.

Flexin
08-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Out of those two cars I would go with the 350Z.

Doing a search on autotrader.com (coupe,manual, under 45000 miles, under 15000) doesn't really give too many options. Out of the list, the cars I would possibly consider are...

(In no kind of order)

350Z
Mustang GT/SVT and so on.
Camaro SS
Ram air Firebird
300ZX
BMW (there is a few on there that are non M3s that would be near the top of my list)
GTO
G35

If I was younger I might even look at the
Prelude
Colbalt SS
VW GTI

Maybe

Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Chrysler Crossfire Coupe

I would have fun with it. Find a few types your interested in and go do some test driving. Driving a few cars will give you a better idea on what you can live with.

James

Flexin
08-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I would want to save up and get me one of these.

James

karl_1052
08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I would want to save up and get me one of these.

James

Your baldness would stick out the top of that like a bobblehead.

JoJoYZF
08-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Out of those two cars I would go with the 350Z.

Doing a search on autotrader.com (coupe,manual, under 45000 miles, under 15000) doesn't really give too many options. Out of the list, the cars I would possibly consider are...

(In no kind of order)

350Z
Mustang GT/SVT and so on.
Camaro SS
Ram air Firebird
300ZX
BMW (there is a few on there that are non M3s that would be near the top of my list)
GTO
G35

If I was younger I might even look at the
Prelude
Colbalt SS
VW GTI

Maybe

Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Chrysler Crossfire Coupe

I would have fun with it. Find a few types your interested in and go do some test driving. Driving a few cars will give you a better idea on what you can live with.

James

Ive actually been looking at most of the stuff on that list. The 350 and G35 are at the top of the list so far. I love trans ams but hate the interior in those and the camaros, it just looks old to me. The 300zx is sweet just too old for what I want. The GTO has definitely gotten my attention too. If I can find one of the 6.0l ones Id probably jump on it. I dont mind the 5.7l but I would definitely prefer the 6.

Im not a huge crossfire person. I love the Acura TL but theyre pretty scarce around here all of the sudden. I wouldnt mind a tsx either.

Flexin
08-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Your baldness would stick out the top of that like a bobblehead.

LOL. You forget how short I am. I wouldn't stick out of the top with and afro.

James

Flexin
08-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Ive actually been looking at most of the stuff on that list. The 350 and G35 are at the top of the list so far. I love trans ams but hate the interior in those and the camaros, it just looks old to me. The 300zx is sweet just too old for what I want. The GTO has definitely gotten my attention too. If I can find one of the 6.0l ones Id probably jump on it. I dont mind the 5.7l but I would definitely prefer the 6.

Im not a huge crossfire person. I love the Acura TL but theyre pretty scarce around here all of the sudden. I wouldnt mind a tsx either.

I agree on the Firebird/Camaro interiors. I had a V6 Firebird for a few months about two years ago. I didn't mind the car (would have loved to have the V8) but I wasn't a fan of the interior at all. I didn't hate it, but I didn't have any love for it. Now the T tops I did like. The first week I had the car on the road I took it out with the tops off, it was cold out so I had to crank the heat but I didn't care. I just always wanted a car with T tops.

James