PDA

View Full Version : Damn tunnel diggers (mining thread)

t-homo
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Is there a fair bit of mining in Tennessee? If so there is a decent chance I will move there when I graduate.

Full Throttle
04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Is there a fair bit of mining in Tennessee? If so there is a decent chance I will move there when I graduate.

like what kind of mining are you talking about?

t-homo
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
not positive at this point. I am looking at coal right now but it could change. I am just a freshman this year so its still a while off too.

Full Throttle
04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
not positive at this point. I am looking at coal right now but it could change. I am just a freshman this year so its still a while off too.

To be honest im not sure. I know there was but am not positive if there is any right now. But hey why the hell do you want to mine coal. That shit is killing everything. Do something else and find out how to lower gas prices. When i bought my bike it cost 10 bucks to fill up and now it cost 12. 20% increase in 8 months is not good especially when forced to drive the cage. Either way you should head on over here its great.

t-homo
04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
To be honest im not sure. I know there was but am not positive if there is any right now. But hey why the hell do you want to mine coal. That shit is killing everything. Do something else and find out how to lower gas prices. When i bought my bike it cost 10 bucks to fill up and now it cost 12. 20% increase in 8 months is not good especially when forced to drive the cage. Either way you should head on over here its great.

I go to UMR and I actually just changed majors from electrical engineering to mining engineering. To me, it looks like a lot more fun being hands on and not in an office, and our campus has an experimental underground mine to learn it.

t-homo
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey look! I made a new thread.

byron12
04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
As somone who knows there is quite a bit of coal mining in the area in fact they have recently been talking about opening some defunct mines back up since the demand for coal is recently rising. There also alot of marble mining and granite mining obn the area......

OneSickPsycho
04-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Fuck mines.

Full Throttle
04-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Fuck mines.

:lol: thats what i say. you wont find me in a mine, just forget it.

OneSickPsycho
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
:lol: thats what i say. you wont find me in a mine, just forget it.

Two jobs you would never catch me doing in a million years... Miner... and high rise window washer... Fuck that.

Rider
04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Two jobs you would never catch me doing in a million years... Miner... and high rise window washer... Fuck that.

I with you on that man.. There ain't no fucking way I'm doing either of those.

Trip
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
They do a lot of coal mining up near kentucky.

Rider
04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
They do a lot of coal mining up near kentucky.

Go figure....

No Worries
04-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Well you know what Horace Greeley said. I worked in mining and mineral exploration for 22 years. Worked in all kinds of mines for MSHA. Coal seams back east can be measured in inches. Out west they are measured in feet. But I agree that coal mines suck. Coal dust, bumps, methane, bad air, etc. But just remember about everything you have or use: If it wasn't grown, it had to be mined.

The Colorado School of Mines in Golden is famous for their mining programs. Their petroleum engineering graduates earn six-figures. Starting salary. That's what I would get into.

But it all comes around. In the late 70's I was evaluating a lot of uranium properties. Then Three Mile Island happened and the price plummeted. Now look at the price of gold- $1K/ounce. Unbelievable. As for gasoline, I'm sure most of you are too young to remember the oil embargo in 1973 when you had to wait in gas lines for hours. Plus the price of gas doubled from $0.35 to $0.70/gal.

t-homo
04-17-2008, 05:59 PM
There is a guy in the house who is graduating this semester with a BS in petroleum engineering that plans on earing about 120 his first year with his signing bonus.

Smittie61984
04-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I think there is some sort of copper mine in Ducktown, TN. It's right there where GA,NC,and TN merge. Probably not what you are looking for but I think most stuff is quarried out here. Not sure about Tennessee.

Also not far from Deal's Gap. Maybe an hour ride.

t-homo
04-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I think there is some sort of copper mine in Ducktown, TN. It's right there where GA,NC,and TN merge. Probably not what you are looking for but I think most stuff is quarried out here. Not sure about Tennessee.

I'm not completely sure what type of mining I am going to do. I might just go all out and get a bachelors in mining and a masters in explosives. That would be more on the strip/quarry mining side. Coal mining there is a lot of ventilation and roof support stuff.

marko138
04-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Mining? Fuck that. I'm glad I take pictures.

t-homo
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Mining? Fuck that. I'm glad I take pictures.

But i will get to blow shit up and get paid for it.

Mr Lefty
04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
you could do that in the Army... and according to Vabs... no need for school! :lol:

marko138
04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
But i will get to blow shit up and get paid for it.
I'll just take a paid vacation if I need to blow shit up.

Trip
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM

Ducktown, turtletown, all that shit out there is fucking redneck hell. Lots of fucked up people out there. They got a store called Raper's out there. :lol:

t-homo
04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Ducktown, turtletown, all that shit out there is fucking redneck hell. Lots of fucked up people out there. They got a store called Raper's out there. :lol:

Sounds like my kind of place.

Gunther1000
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Trip you are to funny dude! I am starting to think most of TN is full of weirdos...