PDA

View Full Version : Too Smart or Too Stupid? Long Post!!!

Amber Lamps
08-05-2009, 07:55 PM
So I go to the bar last night and hang out and do some karaoke, etc. Well, it comes to about 12:30 am and my gf wants to cruise the strip and look cool on her new ride so we head on out the door... WTF my bike won't start! Absolutely nothing when I hit the button. All the lights come on good, everything seems okay but nothing when I hit the button. Again wtf?

Well, the first thing I do is check the clutch safety switch but it "seems" okay, note the "seems"... Hmmm, so I break out the tool kit and go to work. I check all the connectors under the tank, I check the computer connections, I check the fuses, I mean I check everything I can get to. Fuck everything looks okay. Remember, I've had this bike down to the frame 3 times, so I know it pretty well... Which is kinda my downfall... Well, when I look over the cpu harness connections I notice a cut brown and black wire... Something tugs at my memory but I dismiss it. Well, I strip both ends and twist the wire together... NOTHING!

Okay, now I'm pissed! So I step away and call my handy dandy AMA towing service. Andrew answers pretty quick and I have high hopes for this situation being resolved, at least for now... This guy is an IDIOT! I mean fucking WOW STUPID! He must have said "um" about a million times, I had to repeat everything at least twice and spell "Suzuki" and "GSXR"3x. 20 minutes later I'm off the phone and waiting for a tow. 45 minutes go by and our friend Andrew is giving me a call to let me know that the AMA towing service can't find a wrecker in my area that will tow a bike! Of course, he'll keep trying.

WTF!!! Okay, fuck this I'm getting this fucking bitch home if I have to carry it! I end up single man pushing it 5x until it finally decides to run and I get it back home. Running like shit all the way! With idiot lights ablaze!!! Our buddy Andrew calls at 3 fucking 30 to let me know that he's still trying to find a tower. I tell him thanks anyway or something like that...

So I get up this morning after about 4 hours of sleep to get this motherfucker sorted out. Take the dog out, brush my teeth, drop 2 cans of Dew and I'm on the case! I'm gonna figure this shit out so help me God or know the reason why! So I take the entire tail off, remove the seat and pull the tank up. Hmmm there's that pesky brown and black wire again. I'll just solder that bitch back together and heat shrink that bitch, that will fix it. No problem..... Problem still no workies. Hmmm, alright pull every thing! I have an alarm. I have my radar set up so that it's relayed to only come on when the key is on. I have H.I.D.s with the ballast in the rear. I have an electronic flashing unit so I can control the speed of my led turn signals. I have 3 sets of turn signals, 2 sets of brake lights and about 5 running lights in the rear of my bike. I have 2 cigarette lighter power outlets. There's a lot of wire back there!!!

Well I go over this shit with a fine tooth comb and nothing. I give up. I'm calling in the "pros". I'm convinced that it must be the ecu/cpu. If one wire is cut then others may be damaged or it may have shorted and fucked the cpu. I put the bike back together. I call Cyclemax about 35 miles away and they don't have insurance to come get it but if I get it there, they'll get right on it. Great. So I spend an hour trying to find someone, not working with a truck or trailer...no dice. I try AMA again, if I find someone to tow it, they will reimburse me. Super. Maybe I can push start it again... *huff-puff* nope, man it's 90+ degrees out here! Fuck! Defeated, I go back inside to lick my wounds and have a heat stroke!

So I'm sitting on the couch, just staring out into space and it hits me! I fucking cut the brown/black wire to bypass the set valve in the exhaust when I installed my system! Fuck, that's why the bike was running like shit on the way home! FUCK, IT'S GOT TO BE THE FUCKING CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH!!! So me, an allen key, a screw driver, 5 minutes and a 1'' piece of wire went and fixed my bike. FUCK!!!:lol: Ordered a new one, $8 and it'll be here Fri.:lol: Damn I am either incredibly smart or incredibly fucking stupid!!! I vote stupid myself!!!:lol:

TYEster
08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I read and read, and then discovered you found the problem.

I was about to suggest check the kickstand switch.

Amber Lamps
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I read and read, and then discovered you found the problem.

I was about to suggest check the kickstand switch.

Hey I warned you!!!:lol: Suzukis will start with the kickstand down if the bike is in neutral, so I knew it wasn't that.:wink:

askmrjesus
08-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I have an alarm. I have my radar set up so that it's relayed to only come on when the key is on. I have H.I.D.s with the ballast in the rear. I have an electronic flashing unit so I can control the speed of my led turn signals. I have 3 sets of turn signals, 2 sets of brake lights and about 5 running lights in the rear of my bike. I have 2 cigarette lighter power outlets. There's a lot of wire back there!!!ll

Bwahahahaha.... :lol:

JC

tached1000rr
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
:lol

No Worries
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
My 79 Suzuki uses the exact same switch for the front brake light switch and for the clutch interlock switch. They are both adjustable and work, but what a POS. 30 years of cable lube spray buggered it up pretty well, but mine wouldn't start in the garage. An hour of using the voltmeter and I found it was the switch. I hooked the wires together to get around and then thought I might start it in gear, so I bought a new one off ebay for $10.

pauldun170
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM

JC

:lol

Amber Lamps
08-06-2009, 01:19 AM
My 79 Suzuki uses the exact same switch for the front brake light switch and for the clutch interlock switch. They are both adjustable and work, but what a POS. 30 years of cable lube spray buggered it up pretty well, but mine wouldn't start in the garage. An hour of using the voltmeter and I found it was the switch. I hooked the wires together to get around and then thought I might start it in gear, so I bought a new one off ebay for $10.

Yea it's nuts. I'm just so mad that I knew it from the start and didn't follow through.:lol:

Amber Lamps
08-06-2009, 01:21 AM

JC

Yep, I really need to stop posting pics of myself here...

karl_1052
08-06-2009, 06:25 AM
It is gods punishment for assaulting other peoples ears with your Karaoke skills.:boobs:

Riceaholic
08-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Yep, I really need to stop posting pics of myself here...

Mine finally just went bad on my 01'... It actaully started when I was leaving the Gap to go back to TWO. It was running great and then go on-off randomly at any speed.

Just make sure you jump it on the engine side and not the kickstand side. Mine was in a figure-8 and a total clusterfuck with wiring. (my own fault when I put it back together from the first disassembly)

Just pull the harness of the switch and jump it from there...much easier. You have one o' them new sportbikes though...it's prolly different that my dinosaur.

Amber Lamps
08-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Mine finally just went bad on my 01'... It actaully started when I was leaving the Gap to go back to TWO. It was running great and then go on-off randomly at any speed.

Just make sure you jump it on the engine side and not the kickstand side. Mine was in a figure-8 and a total clusterfuck with wiring. (my own fault when I put it back together from the first disassembly)

Just pull the harness of the switch and jump it from there...much easier. You have one o' them new sportbikes though...it's prolly different that my dinosaur.

I think that you are thinking of the kick stand switch Homie. I just pulled the clutch switch off and unplugged it and used a piece of wire to jump the connector. I didn't want to cut or damage the wiring which could come back to haunt me later...

Riceaholic
08-06-2009, 03:30 PM
You are right...I was drunk.

Tmall
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
At least you didn't get up for work only to have your bike not start.
Then, taking the car to leave the gf to take the bus because there was no time to troubleshoot.

Only to arrive home from work and find the problem to be that your battery cables vibrated loose..

Amber Lamps
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
At least you didn't get up for work only to have your bike not start.
Then, taking the car to leave the gf to take the bus because there was no time to troubleshoot.

Only to arrive home from work and find the problem to be that your battery cables vibrated loose..

That's pretty good! I once had a buddy that called a wrecker because his bike wouldn't start only to find out that his engine run switch was off!!! Hahahahahaha!!! man, that was fucking hilarious!:lol:

azoomm
08-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Huh, and here I was going to tell you to check the kill switch :wink:

If only I could tell you how many times that happens at the track.... :lol: