PDA

View Full Version : footwear

derf
08-07-2009, 11:20 PM
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2009/02/10/motorcycle-news/sandals-made-specifically-for-bikers/

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/armoredflipflops2.jpg

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/armoredflipflops1.jpg

have to admit that when I first saw this ad posted on http://www.600rr.net, I was convinced that it was a joke. After all, who in their right mind would condone, let alone promote wearing sandals whilst riding a motorcycle? Bata, the world’s largest footwear company, that’s who!

Sure, we’ve all had lazy moments where we move our bikes around the driveway in bare feet or take a quick rip to the store wearing running shoes, but buying sandals specifically for riding? Seriously?

Last year Bata launched their exclusive ‘Motor Sandal’ in Bangladesh, which is specifically designed for bikers who evidently welcome ankle burns and road rash. “The sandal has been specifically designed to protect their feet while riding bikes,” Bata’s Bangladesh marketing manager, said at a press briefing in Dhaka.

Safety was clearly the first and foremost objective as the Motor Sandal features a fiberglass reinforced sole, gear shifter protector, heat resistant rubber, toe bumper and fluorescent rear strap, which is also removable in case you want to make them into slippers. And why wouldn’t you!?

Why stop there? Why not go one step further and make construction worker-specific, work boot-inspired sandal? The Motor Sandal is currently available in five different styles across Bangladesh for a mere 900 Taka a pair, which is about $13 USD. If you happen to value convenience and your foot tan more than safety, check out Bata’s website to pick yourself up a pair.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

azoomm
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Those are the most awesomeness...

karl_1052
08-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I wonder if they will make a promotion with Suzuki to sell a pair with each new GSXR

Antwanny
08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
end of the world

Digifox
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Uh, Derf...
Didnt these get posted up on CF a LONG time ago?

derf
08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I dunno were they? I stumbled on them the other day

marko138
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
“The sandal has been specifically designed to protect their feet while riding bikes,”

Bahahahahah. :rofl: :lol: :lol

shmike
08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
end of the world

No shit?

These things are being sold in Bangladesh. These offer more protection than the bare feet or paper-thin flip-flops your typical commuter wears.

Check this dude out:
No eye protection, no riding sandals, no overpants and no jacket on a 2bullpower ride.

WHAT A SQUID!

http://www.treehugger.com/20090515-rice-farmer-bangladesh.jpg

Rider
08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
They'll go perfectly with an old school leather helmet.

:td:

Amber Lamps
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Okay, of course I'm going to take the opposing view for the sake of argument...

These sandals are not being marketed to sport bike riders. Hell, they're not even being marketed to ANYONE living in this country. They are being marketed to people in countries riding bikes barely larger than mopeds in 100+ degree heat with 90% humidity. If I was riding a Honda 125cc, 3 speed around New Delhi, sitting in traffic and doing maybe 20mph when I did move, these babies would be the cat's ass!!!:rockwoot: When they start selling them in the Parts Unlimited catalog, I'll join you in "righteous indignation" but until then, who cares?:idk:

No shit?

These things are being sold in Bangladesh. These offer more protection than the bare feet or paper-thin flip-flops your typical commuter wears.

Check this dude out:
No eye protection, no riding sandals, no overpants and no jacket on a 2bullpower ride.

WHAT A SQUID!

http://www.treehugger.com/20090515-rice-farmer-bangladesh.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

marko138
08-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Okay, of course I'm going to take the opposing view for the sake of argument...

These sandals are not being marketed to sport bike riders. Hell, they're not even being marketed to ANYONE living in this country. They are being marketed to people in countries riding bikes barely larger than mopeds in 100+ degree heat with 90% humidity. If I was riding a Honda 125cc, 3 speed around New Delhi, sitting in traffic and doing maybe 20mph when I did move, these babies would be the cat's ass!!!:rockwoot: When they start selling them in the Parts Unlimited catalog, I'll join you in "righteous indignation" but until then, who cares?:idk:

:lol::lol::lol:
Are you being serious? Who fucking cares who they are marketed towards. They are silly, better yet, retarded.

shmike
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Are you being serious? Who fucking cares who they are marketed towards. They are silly, better yet, retarded.

I'm sure he was.

I was.

They are marketed toward the rider below.

If you think you'll see him in a pair of Sidi's anytime soon, you are silly, better yet, nevermind.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/3538223918_8569074550.jpg

marko138
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm sure he was.

I was.

If you think you'll see him in a pair of Sidi's anytime soon, you are silly, better yet, nevermind.

And you're damn near on a level with Tigger.

Amber Lamps
08-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Are being serious? Who fucking cares who they are marketed towards. They are silly, better yet, retarded.

I think you have to look at the starting point... most of these people are riding bare foot or in flip flops now. This is an improvement.

Okay, most guys that ride choppers/Harleys where "skull cap" helmets, right? What if I could develop a oh, 3/4 helmet that they would wear? Of course you full face helmet guys would still exclaim that they are junk and won't save your face in a crash... BUT if I could show that they are 300% more impact resistant than a skull cap and the guys would wear them. Isn't that an improvement?

Dude, there is no way you're going to get a guy in India to wear a pair of $400 A* boots on his Honda Super Cub.:lol: I'll say it again, anything is better than nothing! Heck, maybe we can get them to tape a couple sandwiches to their knees while we're at it...:lol:

marko138
08-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I think you have to look at the starting point... most of these people are riding bare foot or in flip flops now. This is an improvement.

Okay, most guys that ride choppers/Harleys where "skull cap" helmets, right? What if I could develop a oh, 3/4 helmet that they would wear? Of course you full face helmet guys would still exclaim that they are junk and won't save your face in a crash... BUT if I could show that they are 300% more impact resistant than a skull cap and the guys would wear them. Isn't that an improvement?

Dude, there is no way you're going to get a guy in India to wear a pair of $400 A* boots on his Honda Super Cub.:lol: I'll say it again, anything is better than nothing! Heck, maybe we can get them to tape a couple sandwiches to their knees while we're at it...:lol:
Good idea, then they can grab a bite if they get hungry.

Tmall
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Those rape condoms sold in Africa don't serve a purpose since a north American wouldn't wear them?

What about 80 dollar helmets? They're not as good as an arai. Do they serve a purpose?

I posed the same argument shmike did on the old site. They're not aimed at you or me. They're aimed at somebody who is going to wear sandals regardless.

Advertising a pair of decent riding boots there would be like advertising a lambo. You sure as hell aren't going to sell one any time soon.

Amber Lamps
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm sure he was.

I was.

I am, I totally stated that I was taking the opposing view for the sake of argument...:lol: On the other hand, a smart manufacturer markets to his demographic and in this case Bata are geniuses!!!:rockwoot: I bet they sell millions of these things! Hell, I'd buy a pair for beach cruising in Daytona!

Amber Lamps
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Those rape condoms sold in Africa don't serve a purpose since a north American wouldn't wear them?

What about 80 dollar helmets? They're not as good as an arai. Do they serve a purpose?

I posed the same argument shmike did on the old site. They're not aimed at you or me. They're aimed at somebody who is going to wear sandals regardless.

Advertising a pair of decent riding boots there would be like advertising a lambo. You sure as hell aren't going to sell one any time soon.

Shit, FWIW I've been trying to find a way to buy a pair of these fucking things without any success! BTW Bata makes some pretty cool looking shoes!:lol:

shmike
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Hell, I'd buy a pair for beach cruising in Daytona!

I'd buy a pair and chase The Awesome through the gap just to piss off Marko! :lol:

Amber Lamps
08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Good idea, then they can grab a bite if they get hungry.

I wonder if they'd eat a "carney" considering their relationship with cows... hmmmm...:idk: I wonder what the impact resistance of curry chicken on pita bread is?:lol:

Amber Lamps
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I'd buy a pair and chase The Awesome through the gap just to piss off Marko! :lol:

I doubt they offer less protection than the average tennis shoe.:lol: Shit, considering the number of guys I see wearing Rainbows and riding around here, NC would make a pretty decent market for them... Hmmm... I wonder how you open a franchise with these people? lol

smileyman
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Most sandals or low tops would come off in any serious get off. They offer zero protection should they stay on. Like gloves that have no armor or padding, they are fashion only and give the wearer false security.

goof2
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Bahahahahah. :rofl: :lol: :lol

What is so funny? It is a completely accurate statement.

The sandal has been specifically designed to protect their feet while riding bikes

See, it doesn't say shit about falling off.:lol

Amber Lamps
08-17-2009, 04:33 PM
What is so funny? It is a completely accurate statement.
See, it doesn't say shit about falling off.:lol

haha yea nobody is claiming crash protection here!:lol: