PDA

View Full Version : Question for the non-helmet wearers/half-helmet wearers

Mrs. Colleen
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
My hubs and I were in Ohio last week and I noticed real quick that there must not be a helmet law there. Now although I am totally against it I guess I understand if you are cruising downtown and not wearing your helmet...nice tail accessory BTW :screwy:

ANYWAY! I saw a few guys (sportbike riders included) that were cruising rather quickly down the highway/freeway that were not wearing their helmets...it made me wonder...have anyone of you non or half helmet wearers ever taken a big fat juicy bug to the face?! :willy: :willy:

I have come home some days with so many bug stuck to my helmet that I don't even want to touch the thing...I could not even imagine taking one of those fuckers to the face! :zowned:

BTW - Went to a :rf: for the first time last week! Mmmmmm! $10 for the hubs and I for breakfast! :yes: :beers:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-08-2008, 09:25 PM
omfg you were in ohio and you did not come and felate me?

i thought we had something special

Mr Lefty
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I think Gas is the only half helmet wearer here...

if anyone else doesn't wear a helmet they haven't admited it... cause they're morons :lol:

Mrs. Colleen
04-08-2008, 09:30 PM
omfg you were in ohio and you did not come and felate me?

i thought we had something special

I was very much south of you.........:wink:

if anyone else doesn't wear a helmet they haven't admited it... cause they're morons :lol:

I kind of figured that...but maybe the closet morons will come on out.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM

damn straight you should have been RIGHT south of me!!!

but seriously its been nice here...

JoJoYZF
04-08-2008, 09:34 PM

I kind of figured that...but maybe the closet morons will come on out.

Im guessin nts woulda made the trip down from akron. And no we dont have a helmet law here, you were right on that. Ive always wondered the bug thing myself and I think Im gonna have to ask my riding buddies parents cuz her dad rides a harley and never wears a helmet.

Mrs. Colleen
04-08-2008, 09:36 PM

but seriously its been nice here...

It was raining in Athens for a few days while we were there...but when we got stuck in Columbus (Thanks Skybus :fu2:) it was really nice. :beers:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
ha i got FUCKED because of skybus too...

had a rendezvous with a certain somebody a few states away... ended up being the worst weekend of my year. got out there on their plane, but was cancelled while out there...

a 35 dollar ticket turned into a 250 dollar ticket b/c of their gayenss.

Mrs. Colleen
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
ha i got FUCKED because of skybus too...

had a rendezvous with a certain somebody a few states away... ended up being the worst weekend of my year. got out there on their plane, but was cancelled while out there...

a 35 dollar ticket turned into a 250 dollar ticket b/c of their gayenss.

At least yours was only $35! The hubs and I are currently out a few hundred bucks until the credit card company gets our money back. :tt:

I got an email the night before we were suppose to fly home. LUCKILY I got the email right after they sent it so we were able to get tickets...although I had to take another day off work (boohoo I am really sad...:lol:)

Anyway...my drunk ass is rambling...........................

NONE_too_SOFT
04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
yea ffs i got the same e-mai. something like

because of the rising cost of jet fuel and because we fuck japanese whores every night while swimming in caviar... blah blah blah. we're bankrupt... blah blah blah... dig us out of this hole.

almost ruined my weekend. luckily it started off with a bang.

Mr Lefty
04-08-2008, 09:54 PM
:lol: litterally I imagine

Smittie61984
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I always found the ones with the helmets that are almost full face but dont' have a front "Chin Gaurd". To me that's the dumbest. Because someone not wearing a helmet is probably going for comfort or just doesn't care. Hell they are a rebel(Not smart but a rebel). Someone wearing a salad bowl on their head is a Harley rider and going for an image which is understandable(Plus the $200 in stickers adds for impact protection). But someone with the "Almost" full face seems odd to me. It doesn't look cool and everytime I see one I think of a quote from "True Lies" which is so true.

Arnold's daughter is about to hop on a bike with her boyfriend and puts on of those helmets on. And a guy comes in and says "Maan, I remember the first time I was shot out of a cannon".

Because hell if you are going that far why no protect your chin and face(The most likely part to contact the ground in a crash)?

Anyways yeah the bug thing bugs me. I can't ride with my visor up in the summer time(May leave it up if below 20-30mph.) I did to have it up when I rode the Cherohala "Fogway" last week at 8am and coudn't see 10ft in front of me due to me driving in a cloud.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-08-2008, 10:01 PM
i have no responsable retort to this statement.

:lol: litterally I imagine

hah.

lagerdrinker
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I wear half and full face helmets. fullface always on the gsxr and depending where i go on the harley ill bring the appropriate helmet. if im just commuting or going to a friend's house ill wear half. if i know im going interstate riding ill bring full. definitely for comfort. i have taken big bugs to the face and it sucks. I usually carry a handkerchief to tie over my face incase that its needed.

add: i always wear a helmet though, never without one even if its a half.

OneSickPsycho
04-09-2008, 02:16 AM
In my non-helmet days I caught a bug or two... Honestly though, there is no better feeling than rolling down the road with the wind running through your hair... It's just not worth the risk however.

t-homo
04-09-2008, 02:32 AM
In my non-helmet days I caught a bug or two... Honestly though, there is no better feeling than rolling down the road with the wind running through your hair... It's just not worth the risk however.

That's what the convertible is for. Never ridden anything but a dirt bike without a helmet on.

z06boy
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
I owned a cruiser for awhile and wore the half-helmet and yep...got smacked in the face a few times with bugs...comes with the territory though. :idk:

That's the bike I got hit by the car on too...went sailing through the air...bounced...rolled...bounced...rolled...etc... etc...messed my leg and foot up pretty bad but my head and face were fine...yep overall very lucky...even with the 4 surgeries and two skin graphs on my foot/leg. :dthumb:

I was wearing regular jeans and black tennis shoes...never again !!!:zowned: :panic:

itgirl
04-09-2008, 09:29 AM
i picked up a couple of 1/2 helmets for my harley. didn't get much use outta them last season though, i didn't get teh bike until the 2nd week of sept. by then the season was practically over. i'll hafta wait and see how i fare this season, as far as bugs to the face goes.

both my 1/2 helmets have visors though. the one is the AGV dragon, the helicopter pilot looking one. the other is a scorpion with the drop down shield. i absolutely can't stand all the air rushing in my eyes. i wear glasses, so i technically don't need a shield. but i just tear up and can't see a thing without one.

fnfalman
04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Way back in the days when I was young and motorcycling was about riding around town a bit then parked and posed at the corners, I didn't wear a helmet while I was on my Kawi EX500 and when I got the Harley, I went with the "in" helmet which was some sort of Nazi-style coak scuttle helmet.

I could not imagine riding like I do now without a full face or a flip-up. Yeah, the amount of bugs, especially the big ones that snap your head back, gravels, rocks and other debris that get kicked up on the highway...the brother ain't goin' back to the other stuff.

t-homo
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
My eyes would dry out too much if I didn't use a full face.

LaFemmes
04-09-2008, 11:04 AM

:hss: :whistle:

OneSickPsycho
04-09-2008, 11:10 AM
It was raining in Athens for a few days while we were there...but when we got stuck in Columbus (Thanks Skybus :fu2:) it was really nice. :beers:

Some real nice riding between Athens and Columbus...

Cutty72
04-09-2008, 11:15 AM
I've ridden dirt bike and ATV's w/o a helmet... bugs hurt, but :idk: ya just deal I guess.
Unless it's a quick around the block or something, I have my full face on the bikes.

WARputer
04-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Unless it's a quick around the block or something, I have my full face on the bikes.

Same here.

mtp
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Full face all the time

neebelung
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
...have anyone of you non or half helmet wearers ever taken a big fat juicy bug to the face?! :willy: :willy:

Years ago, before I'd been educated on the dangers of not wearing helmets/gear, I was riding passenger with a friend on his cruiser. We're just in a residential area, making a left hand turn, when halfway through the turn I see the mother of all dragonflies coming right at me. We're in the turn, so I don't want to move suddenly and mess up the lean or our turn... so all I could do was close my eyes and hope for the best.

I got NAILED smack dab in the middle of my forehead - I swear, it looked like I'd been pelted with a baseball... just a HUGE red welt. Horrible. Painful. :no:

Lesson learned... I've never ridden without a lid (and gear) since. :lol:

ceo012384
04-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Those half-helmeters are so tough and badass they like getting bug-faced.

I've had bugs hit me so hard that I could feel pain through my jacket. Also I had a bee hit my face shield hard enough to scrape off the mirror finish.

Rider
04-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Those half-helmeters are so tough and badass they like getting bug-faced.

I've had bugs hit me so hard that I could feel pain through my jacket. Also I had a bee hit my face shield hard enough to scrape off the mirror finish.

I had a bug hit me in the neck between my jacket and helmet going 80 in the highway. Felt like somebody stuck a knife in my throat.

Phenix_Rider
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I had a bug hit me in the neck between my jacket and helmet going 80 in the highway. Felt like somebody stuck a knife in my throat.

Shit, I had one hit me in the jaw after my bike's windscreen deflected it upwards. Hurt like hell!

Trip
04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I've been hit by some big ones coming back from the gap down by the lake at speed in the leathers that hurt the shit out of me. I can't imagine taking one of those suckers to the face.

PiZdETS
04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Full face all the time
word.

You know what they say- a hornet down your shirt at 80 mph instantly doubles your vocabulary.
I bet the same thing applies to taking one to the face or worse- swallowing one.