PDA

View Full Version : Taking a vehicle out of a field

Smittie61984
08-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I took one of my old vehicles out from behind my house today. It's a 1998 V6 2wd that has been sitting behind my house for almost 2 years since I hit a deer with it.

Well I got a new battery for it today and plan to do the basics like change the oil, brake fluid, check pads/rotors, coolant, etc.

Anything else I need to look out for besides spiders and snakes? Maybe throw some fuel treatment in if that stuff even works. Or something to help the old gas since it has a 1/4 tank in it and I want to burn that out before I add new gas.

So far it seems to be running very smoothly and I'm very happy. I want to run most of the gas out and then fill it up. The AC/Heat doesn't work at all (doesn't even blow), but it'll be a good vehicle for getting back and forth to work and school.

08-08-2009, 04:31 PM
If it's rubber (hoses, belts, etc.) it probably needs replacement.

goof2
08-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Check belts and hoses. That stuff can dryrot in 2 years. Look over the electrical wiring as critters sometimes like to chew it. I would also take a look at the air filter. Make sure nothing has eaten through it or used the airbox for food storage. I'm not sure if I would but you might want to crank over the engine a bit before giving it spark to pump some oil around. There is not going to be any oil left in the motor, it will all be in the pan.

Smittie61984
08-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I did a quick glance over the belts and hoses and so far they seem to be fine. I'll probably replace the serpentine belt regardless. The tires are in perfect shape too, no dry rot.

Forgot to check the Air Filter but it's a K&N so that should add about 110hp and fight off birds who want to nest.

Smittie61984
08-08-2009, 04:51 PM
checked the hoses and all seems fine. Even the serpentine seems fine but I'm sure I'll replace it.

Only one hose seems questionable and it had some mud caked on it from god knows when. It goes from the heater core to the motor.

The air filter was in tip top shape and no need to replace. Just neeeds to be cleaned.

Now if I could figure out why the fan (for the AC/Heat) doesn't blow then I'd be one happy camper. But that was before I hit the deer.

101lifts2
08-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Remove the spark plugs and spray a little oil in the cylinder. I can guarantee that the cylinder walls are rusted as with the rings.

08-08-2009, 05:35 PM
RIF:

"So far it seems to be running very smoothly and I'm very happy."

If it's running, it's seen oil already.

was92v
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Sea Foam... the only stuff I've ever used that really does work. Put some in the fuel tank when you gas it up.

unknownroad
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd add some 90% rubbing alcohol to the tank to help with any water that may have gotten into the tank via condensation, and fill it the rest of the way. If you're not going to dump the old fuel, I'd rather dilute it with good fuel than burn it straight.

When you were checking the rubber, did you check the windshield wipers? Sucks to be caught in a storm and have the rubber come off the blade when you hit 'em.

Check the fuse on the fan? Do the lights all work? Check tire pressure ASAP if you haven't already. Change the oil as well. Check the brake fluid- if it's real dark, replace it.

101lifts2
08-11-2009, 01:39 AM
RIF:

"So far it seems to be running very smoothly and I'm very happy."

If it's running, it's seen oil already.

LOL...didn't see that part. I would have changed the oil first since it prolly has alot of water condensation in it.