PDA

View Full Version : Vick signs with the Eagles?

Apoc
08-13-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/13/vick.eagles/index.html

Gotta say, I didnt expect that one.

tached1000rr
08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Did not see that one coming

derf
08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Its all the talk of the local radio stations, and its all bad talk.

Apoc
08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Im glad for him. He did his time, now let the man play ball.

derf
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM

I agree, but listening to the radio today , 101.5 a local call in station was already talking about wearing anti Vick shirts and booing him when he walks on the field.

JARVIS518
08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
best of luck to him, he knows he did wrong, he did his time, he handled it very professionally lets get past this and let him play

JoJoYZF
08-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Im looking forward to seeing what the eagles can do with players like vick, mcnabb, westbrook and jackson. Should be fun to watch.

Curb
08-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Im looking forward to seeing what the eagles can do with players like vick, mcnabb, westbrook and jackson. Should be fun to watch.
what they've been doing in the past...lose! and while i agree that the man did his time and that he deserves to make a living in his chosen profession, this is going to be nothing but a distraction for the Eagles...which for me as a Giants fan is ok in my book:dthumb:

goof2
08-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I think he signed with the perfect team for him. Everybody hates the Eagles anyway, including their own fans. I doubt this will really hurt them. The bigger concern is he was overrated when he had been an active player for a number of years. I think after a few years off the field the Eagles just signed Cordell Stewart the 2nd.

tached1000rr
08-14-2009, 12:28 AM
I think he signed with the perfect team for him. Everybody hates the Eagles anyway, including their own fans. I doubt this will really hurt them. The bigger concern is he was overrated when he had been an active player for a number of years. I think after a few years off the field the Eagles just signed Cordell Stewart the 2nd.

Overrated??? Yeah ok.... Ask any NFL defender who played against him if he was overrated....

Sixxxxer
08-14-2009, 01:08 AM
I agree, but listening to the radio today , 101.5 a local call in station was already talking about wearing anti Vick shirts and booing him when he walks on the field.

There all a bunch of Fucking idiots.

Your on drugs if you think having him on your team is a bad thing...Felony aside the man is a TREMENDOUS Athlete.

Im happy as fuck they signed him...I hope they DONT use him as a Backup QB and utilize him as a Tight end or Receiver...He is a weapon...one we need.

goof2
08-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Overrated??? Yeah ok.... Ask any NFL defender who played against him if he was overrated....

He was overrated because over his career he never developed in to an effective passer (he got worse), the media kept the reputation from his youth alive, and he would make the highlight reel with at least one play a week.

While the 1,000 yards of rushing in 2006 was impressive his actual passing hasn't been good at all. His passer rating was only above 80 for one year and that was in 2002. That was also the only year he threw for more than 2,500 yards. His stats and record declined over time. In 05 he was 8 and 8 while loosing the last 3 games and in 06 he was 7 and 9 while again loosing the last 3 games. He played well for a young quarterback early in his career and generally declined from that point.

Even ignoring all that do you think his skills have improved or declined after not taking a snap for the last 2 years?

Sixxxxer
08-14-2009, 01:24 AM
I think his skills are where they are at when he left...He didnt sit on his ass for two years he most likely worked out everyday he was locked up...He wanted to come back IMMEDIATLY and from what I see on tv he looks as good as when he left if not in better shape.

TommyHotWheel
08-14-2009, 05:28 AM
I was waiting to see him throw a few balls and if he was proficient. I thought for sure he would be a Lion, they could have used a playmaker at QB.

karl_1052
08-14-2009, 08:31 AM
this is going to be nothing but a distraction for the Eagles...which for me as a Giants fan is ok in my book:dthumb:

I agree on both points.

Vick is a great athelte, but a terrible quarterback.
He is a ball hog when he is in the drivers seat, because, as was said before he can't throw as good as some of the Joes on Pros vs Joes.
He is fast, and agile, and a good runner.
I think he would do well as a Tight end, running back, or a Free safety.
Philly will put him in as a backup QB, and then they will lose(to the Giants twice) and not even make the playoffs.
Philly only has Westrbook, and one player does not make a team.

tommymac
08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
I think his skills are where they are at when he left...He didnt sit on his ass for two years he most likely worked out everyday he was locked up...He wanted to come back IMMEDIATLY and from what I see on tv he looks as good as when he left if not in better shape.

But is he in football shape? being away from the game for 2 years will def take a toll on him. I think he will be a huge distraction but Reid is smart enough to realy utilize him.

He will never be a TE that would imply he may have to block someone, and as a former DE/OLB I would love to have him try and block me.

Tom

marko138
08-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Agreed. People do less jail time for KILLING PEOPLE than Vick did.

I don't see it on here...but a ton of Eagles fans are bitching and complaining. :wtf: Are you kidding me? When McNabb goes down mid-season and Vickers comes in and carries this team into the playoffs these fags will be signing a different tune. You heard it here first.

Rider
08-14-2009, 09:38 AM
I agree with some of the above statements. Let the guy play, he's a piece of shit but he paid his dues.

marko138
08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I was hoping the Raiders would pick him up. He's their kind of player. :lol: Seriously.

Rider
08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
I was hoping the Raiders would pick him up. He's their kind of player. :lol: Seriously.

No doubt.

marko138
08-14-2009, 09:42 AM
No doubt.
I hope that someday in my lifetime Al Davis fucking croaks so the Raiders can be competative.

Rider
08-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Some of his players need to slip him some of their coke so he goes into cardiac arrest.

marko138
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Some of his players need to slip him some of their coke so he goes into cardiac arrest.
I think you're on to quite a plan here.

tommymac
08-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I hope that someday in my lifetime Al Davis fucking croaks so the Raiders can be competative.

Thats the only way it will happen he will never step down. He will fire any coach thats remotley good, and will continue taking top 5 picks that arent that good. Although I think mcfadden will be a very good player.

Tom

marko138
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Thats the only way it will happen he will never step down. He will fire any coach thats remotley good, and will continue taking top 5 picks that arent that good. Although I think mcfadden will be a very good player.

Tom
You're dead on with that.

goof2
08-14-2009, 10:14 AM

You seriously think not playing at all for 2 years isn't going to take a toll? Even if his skills are where they were in 06 it would still be difficult to justify calling him a good quarterback. He also declined significantly over his last two years in the league while he was playing.

Sixxxxer
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Not for nothing but he didnt have the greatest staff of Coaches in Atlanta...Nor did he have High caliber Players to throw to...

Michael Jordan took Two years off and came back and won three championships in a row...Playing baseball doesnt exactly help you work on your B ball game.

You think Vick didnt touch a football the whole time he's been out?? Your failing to realize...the man is hungry to get back into the game...I still stand by my post...YES I hink he is in good shape and would be a good Player.

marko138
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Not for nothing but he didnt have the greatest staff of Coaches in Atlanta...Nor did he have High caliber Players to throw to...

Michael Jordan took Two years off and came back and won three championships in a row...Playing baseball doesnt exactly help you work on your B ball game.

You think Vick didnt touch a football the whole time he's been out?? Your failing to realize...the man is hungry to get back into the game...I still stand by my post...YES I hink he is in good shape and would be a good Player.
I'm with ya on that.

goof2
08-14-2009, 10:56 AM

I sure hope he has touched a football since he has been out, but none of those touches has been in a professional game or even with professional players in over 2 years. Vick was never the caliber of player Jordan was. Jordan was the best player in the NBA by a pretty wide margin. Vick was never even close to the same thing in the NFL. Concerning who he hat to throw to, it isn't like Philly has a receiving corps of pro bowl players either.

marko138
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I sure hope he has touched a football since he has been out, but none of those touches has been in a professional game or even with professional players in over 2 years. Vick was never the caliber of player Jordan was. Jordan was the best player in the NBA by a pretty wide margin. Vick was never even close to the same thing in the NFL. Concerning who he hat to throw to, it isn't like Philly has a receiving corps of pro bowl players either.
Yeah, thats always been the Eagles down side...they've got no A game players to throw to...well other than Owens for a while.

karl_1052
08-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Vick is an athelete on a level that none of us can fathom. It is like comparing yourself to Nicky Hayden. Sure he sucks compared to the competition, but compared to the armchair quarterbacks, he is in a whole other league.

z06boy
08-14-2009, 11:36 AM
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. He has been out for 2 years but seems to be in decent shape but yes football shape is different for sure.

It was rumored that he may sign with my Carolina Panthers...they did talk to eachother but obviously he didn't sign with them.

I'm not really sure how I feel about him playing.

Bottom line though...he served his time so hopefully he learned something and is changed for the better.

I'm a dog lover and have owned Pit Bulls but never fought them. The fighting part didn't really bother me that much although I don't condone it. The part that bothered me is what he did to the dogs that didn't perform...that is still stuck in my head and I don't like it.

Again though...the man served his time so let him play imho.

Sixxxxer
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Well if Vick plays receiver I guess we'll have our pro bowl Status then wont we ;)

Philly is a whole hell of a lot better than Atlanta as a whole

goof2
08-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Well if Vick plays receiver I guess we'll have our pro bowl Status then wont we ;)

I suppose so, it would be nice if that pro bowl receiver had been to the pro bowl as a receiver though.

Dave
08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. He has been out for 2 years but seems to be in decent shape but yes football shape is different for sure.

It was rumored that he may sign with my Carolina Panthers...they did talk to eachother but obviously he didn't sign with them.

I'm not really sure how I feel about him playing.

Bottom line though...he served his time so hopefully he learned something and is changed for the better.

I'm a dog lover and have owned Pit Bulls but never fought them. The fighting part didn't really bother me that much although I don't condone it. The part that bothered me is what he did to the dogs that didn't perform...that is still stuck in my head and I don't like it.

Again though...the man served his time so let him play imho.

if i look at it from the devils advocate side you couldnt really make pets out of a failed fighter, they also may have recieved damage in training. Im unable t o find justification for methods used other than shooting however

z06boy
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
if i look at it from the devils advocate side you couldnt really make pets out of a failed fighter, they also may have recieved damage in training. Im unable t o find justification for methods used other than shooting however

I don't disagree.

It was the method of killing and supposedly the enjoyment he and his cronies got out of it that bothered me. That was just flat out heartless and cruel not to mention the dogfighting part in the first place.

defector
08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Sports is an unreal world. Gotta love it.

Now granted, the guy did his time, and I think he should be allowed to freely pursue the career he chose for himself.

But I know that if I did what he did, there would be no way in hell I could come back to my career after jail. Not just my company, but anything closely related to my career before. In the real world it seems as people just don't forget shit like this, right or wrong.

tached1000rr
08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Sports is an unreal world. Gotta love it.

Now granted, the guy did his time, and I think he should be allowed to freely pursue the career he chose for himself.

But I know that if I did what he did, there would be no way in hell I could come back to my career after jail. Not just my company, but anything closely related to my career before. In the real world it seems as people just don't forget shit like this, right or wrong.

Honestly if you did what he did, you would have had very little done to you at all, community service a mild fee and a slap on the wrist at best. I think it was because of his status and who he was that got him what he did.

These type of incidents occur frequently and I'm no expert or don't follow the trial outcomes, but this was bigger than the abuse of animals in my opinion.

Apoc
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
But I know that if I did what he did, there would be no way in hell I could come back to my career after jail. Not just my company, but anything closely related to my career before.

Thats because a ton of places wont hire criminals. The NFL isnt quite the same, and no matter what people here may say, Vick is one of the best in the world at what he does. When you can say your in the top 20 recievers/quarterbacks/point guards/goaltenders/etc, etc in the WORLD, then trust me, record or not, you wont have much problem finding a job.

tommymac
08-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Vick aprobowl reciever I dont think so. Philly does have a good group of young recievers and I am curious to see what maclin does this year.

On this team he may be a gimmick player but not much more, plus when mcnabb goes into his yearly rut or gets hurt does he become the starter?

I think he brings too many negatives to the table esp for a playoff caliber team in the toughest division in football.

defector
08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Honestly if you did what he did, you would have had very little done to you at all, community service a mild fee and a slap on the wrist at best. I think it was because of his status and who he was that got him what he did.

These type of incidents occur frequently and I'm no expert or don't follow the trial outcomes, but this was bigger than the abuse of animals in my opinion.

Don't know about everywhere, but here in Az, a first time offender can expect 1 1/2 years for a class 5 felony (which dogfighting is classified under).

derf
08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Anyway what it really comes down to is that if the NFL banned all players who have a felony then they wouldn't have 1/2 of their players.

marko138
08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Anyway what it really comes down to is that if the NFL banned all players who have a felony then they wouldn't have 1/2 of their players.
No kidding.

defector
08-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Thats because a ton of places wont hire criminals. The NFL isnt quite the same, and no matter what people here may say, Vick is one of the best in the world at what he does. When you can say your in the top 20 recievers/quarterbacks/point guards/goaltenders/etc, etc in the WORLD, then trust me, record or not, you wont have much problem finding a job.

The NFL is a business, and with that being said...

Vick back in the NFL will sell a shit ton of his jerseys, to both real Vick fans, and also people who would wear them to piss others off, (much like TO jerseys). He will also keep his team (and the NFL) at or near the top of the news cycle (on other than strictly sports stations) for the next couple of weeks. You can't buy exposure like that.
It is a very polarizing scenario, and that usually breeds lots of interest.

Rider
08-14-2009, 02:41 PM

No they'd have the same number of players on their roster, it just wouldn't be entertaining to watch.

Apoc
08-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Anyway, it always amazes me when men who are professionals is violent, brutal sports commits a violent crime and people are suprised. MOST athletes are thugs who happen to be expremely athletic. The praise from their gifts, and the extra testosterone these men have, makes them violent and cocky.

Kinda why we dont hear of a lot of crime in say, competitive chess.

defector
08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Anyway, it always amazes me when men who are professionals is violent, brutal sports commits a violent crime and people are suprised. MOST athletes are thugs who happen to be expremely athletic. The praise from their gifts, and the extra testosterone these men have, makes them violent and cocky.

Kinda why we dont hear of a lot of crime in say, competitive chess.

Gotta agree with that 100%.

Although I saw a chess / boxing match where they fought a round between moves on the chess board. Fight ended upon KO or checkmate.
Or maybe that was one of my vivid dreams...:lol

z06boy
08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
The NFL is a business, and with that being said...

Vick back in the NFL will sell a shit ton of his jerseys, to both real Vick fans, and also people who would wear them to piss others off, (much like TO jerseys). He will also keep his team (and the NFL) at or near the top of the news cycle (on other than strictly sports stations) for the next couple of weeks. You can't buy exposure like that.
It is a very polarizing scenario, and that usually breeds lots of interest.

I'll buy one just to line by dog's crate in...I mean because I don't like the Eagles. :lol

karl_1052
08-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Like from howard stern Private Parts:
Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Pig Vomit: How can that be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

People will still watch him play, even if they hate him.

z06boy
08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
People will still watch him play, even if they hate him.

Truth

Apoc
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Yup, owners care about one thing. The seats can be full of cheering fans, or full of vick protestors, the owners dont care, as long as they are full.

marko138
08-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Yup, owners care about one thing. The seats can be full of cheering fans, or full of vick protestors, the owners dont care, as long as they are full.
Now we're getting to the heart of the issue.

tached1000rr
08-14-2009, 04:29 PM

Word....

Kaneman
08-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Actually you can make good pets out of failed fighters, but its irrelevant because Vick and Co. were not saving dogs from a troubled life and eventual euthanasia anyway. Dog fighting aside, a sick mind is required to torture any animal to death, but it takes a special kind of cocksucker to do it to a companion animal.

I would have liked to have seen Vick get a stiffer sentence, but I'm not offended by his return to the NFL. There are sociopaths in every type of job and the NFL is no different.
________
Chrysler canada (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Canada)

Mr Lefty
08-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I can't see him doing much. dudes been out of the NFL for too long during what should have been his prime years. yeah he can stay in shape... but it's the speed of the defenders and the hits that you can't practice.

I don't care really what he did in his past... he was found guilty and did his time. that being said... would I want him on my team? NO. two reasons... one...like I said... I don't think he's gonna amount to much now... maybe as a backup or a trick play threat... but I don't think he'll be back up to starting QB quality. and two, because he could (I said COULD not will) be a distraction to the other players. He's gonna bring tons of attention and much of it negitive. any players that start hanging around him will start having false rumors... ect... just brings the orginization down.

it's unfortunate that someone can't serve their time and have people drop it... but some people want the electric chair for using curse words.

Smittie61984
08-15-2009, 12:25 PM
He was overrated because over his career he never developed in to an effective passer (he got worse), the media kept the reputation from his youth alive, and he would make the highlight reel with at least one play a week.

I think he wasn't an effective passer becuase he never had a chance to pass. I went to a Falcons game once and he always had that look of "Okay who's open, damnit who's open, fuck it I guess I'll run it myself" because our offense people sucked. Or that's what I percieved, but then again that was the only football game I have ever watched in person.

As for wether he should play or not. Well he's free so it's up to him and the NFL or who ever will hire him. But if he wasn't an athlete (a good one) then he wouldn't get his job back working a line truck for the phone company.

karl_1052
08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I can't see him doing much. dudes been out of the NFL for too long during what should have been his prime years. yeah he can stay in shape... but it's the speed of the defenders and the hits that you can't practice.

I don't care really what he did in his past... he was found guilty and did his time. that being said... would I want him on my team? NO. two reasons... one...like I said... I don't think he's gonna amount to much now... maybe as a backup or a trick play threat... but I don't think he'll be back up to starting QB quality. and two, because he could (I said COULD not will) be a distraction to the other players. He's gonna bring tons of attention and much of it negitive. any players that start hanging around him will start having false rumors... ect... just brings the orginization down.

it's unfortunate that someone can't serve their time and have people drop it... but some people want the electric chair for using curse words.

there are tons of players in the NFL that are distractions to their teams.
TO
Pacman Jones
chad johnson
etc

Mr Lefty
08-15-2009, 08:18 PM
there are tons of players in the NFL that are distractions to their teams.
TO
Pacman Jones
chad johnson
etc

true... and I wouldn't want any of them either. :idk:

where are the Jerry Rices... or Emit Smiths... Berry Sanders... the Joe Montana's

seems like letting your play do the talking and be an upstanding roll model for today's youth is a forgotten art.

goof2
08-15-2009, 09:33 PM

where are the Jerry Rices... or Emit Smiths... Berry Sanders... the Joe Montana's

seems like letting your play do the talking and be an upstanding roll model for today's youth is a forgotten art.

They are out there but when they let their play do the talking the media gets bored. Doing good shit is nice for when the local media needs to fill 30 seconds of their 11pm broadcast. Beyond that the media feels it is a non story.

Here in Tampa we had Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn doing great things for the community, but the main story for a few years was how big a douchebag Keyshawn Johnson was. Now that Meshawn is in the media history has been rewritten by ESPN so now he is treated as a team player.

Mr Lefty
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
They are out there but when they let their play do the talking the media gets bored. Doing good shit is nice for when the local media needs to fill 30 seconds of their 11pm broadcast. Beyond that the media feels it is a non story.

Here in Tampa we had Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn doing great things for the community, but the main story for a few years was how big a douchebag Keyshawn Johnson was. Now that Meshawn is in the media history has been rewritten by ESPN so now he is treated as a team player.

it's funny you say that cause I was thinking the other day... WTF happened to Warrick Dunn? no mind you I don't watch pro football but there was a time where I'd hear about him a lot (first couple years out of FSU)

Yeah I know what you mean... I'm beginning to hate ESPN and what they're doing to sports. they're doing to it what MTV did to Music. bringing in the wrong crowd, the wrong attention, focusing on everything BUT The music... or in this case, the Sport itself.

tached1000rr
08-16-2009, 12:34 PM
it's funny you say that cause I was thinking the other day... WTF happened to Warrick Dunn? no mind you I don't watch pro football but there was a time where I'd hear about him a lot (first couple years out of FSU)

Yeah I know what you mean... I'm beginning to hate ESPN and what they're doing to sports. they're doing to it what MTV did to Music. bringing in the wrong crowd, the wrong attention, focusing on everything BUT The music... or in this case, the Sport itself.

True statement if I ever have seen one. Through my affiliations with professional sports and athletes I know for a fact that the media seems to focus only on the negative stories and figures. There's so much good that occurs in the local communities around those teams but you rarely see mention of it or the athletes who are model citizens.

Smittie61984
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Haha. I don't really watch sports but mainly the reason was the announcer people. Take a break and they get yakking and yakking about how things will turn out and how they would have done it. Then als of the special effects and flashy shit htey have in the backround just distracts.

Then they put those dumb blonde bimbos who a year earlier before taking a job probably couldn't name one athlete despite they probably fucked one at some point in time.

marko138
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM

No kidding.