Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   HOA vs 90y.o. medal of honor vet over flag (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12017)

Kaneman 12-05-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 302108)
People buy in an area with a HOA because of the quality of life and property values. After that they complain that the same rules that help to prop up those property values won't let them do something that they want to. There's a lack of common sense at work here. That one thing is certain.

Around here people buy in an HOA because they don't have much of a choice. Every new neighborhood built here has an HOA. It's always the same, they start out with normal common sense rules like don't park a rusted boat in your front yard and gradually progress to complete idiocy with new rules like "vehicles can not display any form of business" so if you work for say AT&T you can not drive your work vehicle home when you're on call.

That's just one small example. This story is another.

I wonder how many HOA debates we've had here?

sherri_chickie 12-05-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 301604)
Hard to say you even own the inside, cuz you can pay your condo cash, and if you dont pay your condo fee's, they can still kick you the fuck out, from what I understand..

I've never seen the benefit of a condo apart from yard work and snow removal :shrug: and both of those things are cheaper than condo fee's anyway.

And they did a shitty job of snow removal here today, man am I pissed! Posted pics on facebook, it's ridiculous!

HOA's sometimes just get off on their own power, weak people that make themselves feel better than you by making up archane rules and being bullies.

He's a HERO... he should be treated as such!

Kaneman 12-08-2009 10:27 PM

Virginia Veteran Wins Battle to Keep His Flagpole in Yard
Tuesday , December 08, 2009

ADVERTISEMENTRICHMOND, Va. —

A 90-year-old Medal of Honor recipient can keep his 21-foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowner's association dropped its request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia Sen. Mark Warner said Tuesday.

The Sussex Square homeowners' association likewise has agreed to drop threats to take legal action against retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, Warner spokesman Kevin Hall said.

The association had threatened to take Barfoot to court if he failed to remove the pole from his suburban Richmond home by Friday. It had said the pole violated the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines.

Neither Barfoot's daughter, Margaret Nicholls, nor homeowners' president Glenn Wilson immediately returned telephone messages.

Dropping the issue effectively ends a request that White House press secretary Robert Gibbs on Monday called "silly."

Warner and Sen. Jim Webb, both Virginia Democrats, had rallied behind Barfoot, a World War II veteran.

In a letter last week, Webb urged the association to "consider the exceptional nature of Col. Barfoot's service when considering his pride and determination in honoring our flag."

Barfoot's fight also has lit up veterans bulletin boards and blog sites supporting him.

Barfoot won the Medal of Honor for actions while his platoon was under German assault near Carano, Italy, in May 1944. He was credited with standing up to three German tanks with a bazooka and stopping their advance.

He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974.

SLIDESHOW: Medal of Honor Recipient Col. Van Barfoot

SEARCH
Click here for FOX News RSS Feeds

Advertise on FOX News Channel, FOXNews.com and FOX News Radio
Jobs at FOX News Channel.
Internships At Fox News (Summer Application Deadline is March 15, 2007)
Terms of use. Privacy Statement. For FOXNews.com comments write to
foxnewsonline@foxnews.com; For FOX News Channel comments write to
comments@foxnews.com
© Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2009 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.
All market data delayed 20 minutes.

Homeslice 12-09-2009 12:17 AM

How could the HOA be so stupid. Did they not think word of this would spread?

Their director is probably a 64-year old fat woman owning 10 cats and driving an Avalon (Camry) or Lexus ES (still a Camry).

Tmall 12-09-2009 05:48 AM

Told ya so.

karl_1052 12-09-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 303480)
Told ya so.

Did it for publicity, not because they were wrong.

azoomm 12-09-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 303513)
Did it for publicity, not because they were wrong.

I agree.

I also agree that it should not have ever come to this. It seems as though the HOA didn't want to THINK in their process - they applied their rules with black and white lines.

Destitute 12-09-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 303518)
I also agree that it should not have ever come to this. It seems as though the HOA didn't want to THINK in their process - they applied their rules with black and white lines.

And now they've set a clear precedent that will make it very difficult to stop other residents from putting up a flag pole. Since this is Virginia, I imagine the place will look like a NASCAR track infield in no time. There goes the neighborhood.

goof2 12-09-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 303518)
I agree.

Sometimes they do this for good reason. Now if someone else in this community wants to fly a different flag (Confederate, Mexican, Anarchist) all they have to do is follow what this guy did. If the community tries to fight it they will enjoy a nice discrimination lawsuit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destitute (Post 303548)
And now they've set a clear precedent that will make it very difficult to stop other residents from putting up a flag pole. Since this is Virginia, I imagine the place will look like a NASCAR track infield in no time. There goes the neighborhood.

You beat me to it.

Homeslice 12-09-2009 09:34 AM

How about simply taking your chances when you buy a home. Find out as much as you can about your potential neighbors before you move there. And if someone in your hood does something you don't like, then get together with other neighbors and go talk to that person. If all else fails, then suck it up or move. HOA's are passive-avoidance crap, run by power-trippers.