Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bad Bike Day (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8312)

JoJoYZF 05-26-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 216533)
You can always PM Erik (wideopen1) and he could give you some ideas or maybe even help you work on it since we aren't that far away.

I wouldn't take to a dealer just yet. Exhaust all options first.

I may take you up on that, I didnt even remember he was on the board.

I probably wont be taking it to a dealer unless I cant figure it out or if I take just the carbs to someone to work on.

racedoll 05-26-2009 10:35 PM

Yeah, he just registered a week or so ago.
He is still home all day.. no job yet unfortunately.

Don't be afraid to ask. We will help where we can!

JoJoYZF 05-26-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 216544)
Yeah, he just registered a week or so ago.
He is still home all day.. no job yet unfortunately.

Don't be afraid to ask. We will help where we can!

Damn, sorry to hear that.

I may be shooting him a PM in the next day or so if I know for sure that Ill be working on it friday. Id gladly pay for his gas to get here and for his help if hed be willing to.

Gas Man 05-26-2009 11:19 PM

I want you to verify spark....

And the filter will be easy to find IF it has one. Don't laugh... many bikes dont have one.

Verify fuel flow from the tank... remove your fuel line from the tank and see if it comes flowing...

JoJoYZF 05-26-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 216557)
I want you to verify spark....

And the filter will be easy to find IF it has one. Don't laugh... many bikes dont have one.

Verify fuel flow from the tank... remove your fuel line from the tank and see if it comes flowing...

Thats probably one of the first things Ill check on friday or if I get time tomorrow night after work. Im really not sure if mine does have a fuel filter or not but Ill be checking that out as well.

No Worries 05-27-2009 12:21 AM

Sounds like no spark. Nine times out of ten, the safety switch on the kickstand is dirty. I would also check the fuses.

Amber Lamps 05-27-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 216575)
Sounds like no spark. Nine times out of ten, the safety switch on the kickstand is dirty. I would also check the fuses.

I'm in the Kickstand switch camp as well... it's the only "sudden" problem I can think of, except the possibility of the tip over switch having fallen off of it's mount.:idk: I agree that you need to check the fuses and see if the fuel pump is running...

Amber Lamps 05-27-2009 02:27 AM

Just in case...

http://www.repairmanualclub.com/moto...x.php?dlid=573

marko138 05-27-2009 07:50 AM

Man this situation is all too familiar to me. I'm still not certain what my problem was...but double check that battery. Put it on a Tender anyway. And I'd stop riding that bitch such short trips. Battery won't charge.

askmrjesus 05-27-2009 09:25 AM

You said the starter "seemed to work" but the bike won't turn over.

Could you hear the started moving? If it's moving and the bike isn't turning over, it could be that the started gear is FUBAR, or that the solenoid is dirty or just plain busted (ala GasMan).

But, let's back up a step first. Put a voltmeter on the battery after charging it. If you don't have a voltmeter, stop reading now, and go get one.

Hi. Welcome back. Ok, what's the voltmeter say? 12.75 or so? Good, but that means nothing. Even though the battery is "charged", you may just have what is called a "surface charge". Hit the starter button, and watch the voltmeter. If the reading drops more than 1-2 volts, you have a dead cell, no fluid in the battery, or some other fucked up battery problem.

Kick stand switches: The Safety-Nazi asshole who came up this this idea, should be shot in the balls. "Hey, I have an idea, lets put a switch that can disable the bike, in a place where it's sure to get dirty and fail!" Cut that fucking thing off and throw it away. Bridge the wires to complete the circuit, or get creative, and wire up a toggle switch in a hidden location (instant anti-theft device).

JC