Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   When should you hit the track?? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=6213)

azoomm 02-24-2009 10:46 AM

FWIW, you don't ever want to *hit* the track :wink:

Check with your local trackday orgs - most offer a volunteer/ride program.

OreoGaborio 02-24-2009 12:46 PM

The track day organization itself has a lot to do with it, as does the rider themselves.

The org that I work for is VERY newbie friendly. We spend a lot of time "catering" to the first-timer, walking them through everything that they're going to do that day, making sure they understand all the rules etc, spending extra time with those that need it, etc.... As long as ALL basic controls (throttle, clutch, brakes, shifting and turning) are feeling "second nature" so that you don't have to conciously think "Okay... where are the front brakes again? Where's the clutch? Where's the shift lever?", and you are able to safely pilot a motorcycle under normal riding conditions, that's typically enough.

As far as MY personal experience, I started riding with that same organization 3 months after I started riding & I only had 5k miles of riding experience.... and that was PLENTY of experience for me. (I even scuffed a puck a few times that day :p)

DLIT 02-24-2009 03:10 PM

It's a good idea to have all the basics down to where they're 2nd nature to you. As Azoom said, you want to focus on braking, shifting and corner set up and not worry about the little things. And don't worry about being the slowest on the track. Just HOLD YOUR LINES and all will be good. You want to be predictable out there, so other riders trying to pass don't have to worry about you going wide all of a sudden and washing them out. And TAKE A SCHOOL AT YOUR 1ST TRACK DAY!

Looni2ns 02-24-2009 05:48 PM

We generally recommend a year, and at least 3,000 miles of riding experience before riding on the track. For your first track experience, try to find an organization with classroom and on-track novice instruction, and small groups so you get a lot of one-on-one instruction. If you're not sure whether you're ready, see if you can do a two-up ride w/a friend at a track day. You'll have to have the equipment (leathers, helmet, boots, gloves) but it will give you an idea as to whether you really want to get out there.

OreoGaborio 02-24-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looni2ns (Post 170542)
If you're not sure whether you're ready, see if you can do a two-up ride w/a friend at a track day.

If you find a track day organization that'll let you jump on the back of your friend's bike and go out onto a live track, I'll eat a boiled brick. There's no way in HELL any track day organization run by someone in their right mind would let you do that.

With that said, there ARE track day organizations that'll give rides on the back of a QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR'S bike. Cornerspeed and Tony's Track Days are two examples of that.

Cutty72 02-24-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreoGaborio (Post 170725)
If you find a track day organization that'll let you jump on the back of your friend's bike and go out onto a live track, I'll eat a boiled brick. There's no way in HELL any track day organization run by someone in their right mind would let you do that.

With that said, there ARE track day organizations that'll give rides on the back of a QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR'S bike. Cornerspeed and Tony's Track Days are two examples of that.

The one drewpy uses allows it.
I think the bike/driver have to be in advanced, and you have to run in novice when 2 up IIRC.
I know he was talking about taking PC out for one sometime.

OreoGaborio 02-25-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 170746)
The one drewpy uses allows it.
I think the bike/driver have to be in advanced, and you have to run in novice when 2 up IIRC.
I know he was talking about taking PC out for one sometime.

wow... Guess I'll go boil a brick :P

On the grand scheme of things, my TD experience outside the org that I work for is pretty limited... but I'd imagine that's some pretty friggin serious liability right there. Just think of the legal ramifications if something were to happen. I can't imagine the insurance companies would look too favorably upon the TD organizer letting an unqualified rider out on the track w/ a passenger. There must be some hefty restrictions in place for them to allow that.

mightyduc998 03-29-2009 12:20 PM

if you can get to the store and back without dropping or stalling he bike you should be fine.be aware, "once you go track you NEVER go back" Heh heh...

OreoGaborio 03-30-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyduc998 (Post 187388)
if you can get to the store and back without dropping or stalling he bike you should be fine.be aware, "once you go track you NEVER go back" Heh heh...

I dunno, duc.... My ex girlfriend was able to do that (though not comfortably) & there was no way in hell was she ready for the track.

But yeah, I get what you're sayin... don't need much other than having the basic riding motorskills down pat.

pickle.of.doom 03-30-2009 11:36 AM

I'm sorry, but if I was at the track and knew that someone in my session had just picked up a bike/taken an msf a few days before, I would want to stay pretty far away from that person.