Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   High Fructose Corn Syrup Causes More Weight Gain Than Sugar (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=13906)

Sean 04-05-2010 07:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Captain Morgan 04-05-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 357681)
Actually, I'm more interested in the fundamental difference between the food choices that fat people make versus the food choices that fit people make.

Don't want to get fat? Eat whole foods...in sensible portion sizes every 2 hours...and exercise. PAY ATTENTION...ensure that the calories you burn off each day exceed or equal the calories you consume.

No scientific study or internet pissing contests required. It really IS that simple. *shrug*

Well, part of it IS body type, but most fat people got that way because they were simply lazy. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly high metabolism and after literally two years of eating nothing but fast food and not working out, I've only jumped from 14% BF to 20% with a gain of about 20 lbs. Throw a person with different genetics on that same diet and no exercise and they'll blow up real quick. However, I saw the writing on the wall and knew I couldn't continue with that routine, so started eating right and working out again. But it's just been a couple weeks and I've only been lifting (no cardio), so no significant results yet.

Most fat people realize they're starting to get fat, but simply don't care or are too lazy to take care of it right away. Then it gets to the point where it would be a ton of work (pun intended) to lose all that weight and get in shape. Since they're lazy by nature, they continue to not care and tell themselves it would be too much work. They probably don't even realize just how much better they would feel if they were to get back in shape.

It's very difficult for me to make time to get my ass back in shape. I'm not a morning person, by any means, so I can't drag my ass out of bed early enough to work out then. But if I work out too late at night, then I have trouble going to sleep, making it even more difficult to get up in the morning. I've settled on working out in the evenings after work, but that takes time away from my daughter. It's a balancing act, but I know I have to lead a good example for my daughter, and if she sees me working out and trying to stay in shape, I have a better chance of her being healthy and not ending up like her mother (see above)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 357681)
Actually, I'm more interested in the fundamental difference between the food choices that fat people make versus the food choices that fit people make.

Didja miss the part about table sugar NOT triggering obesity, but that the HFCS DID trigger obesity?

How's THIS for a "food choice"; or are you oblivious to the fact that many (read: most) Americans DO drink sodas: If the sweetener in sodas has now been PROVEN to CAUSE obesity in lab animals, in concentrations HALF that of sugar, why are we to think it would be any different in humans?

By this reckoning, it can be said that even someone who attempts to take in only a moderate amount of soda that has been sweetened with HFCS, will likely risk obesity far more than someone who downs over twice as many sugared sodas.

I'm sorry, but that's significant when you consider that MOST Americans DO take in a moderate amount of soda, and may be "pushed over the edge" into obesity with just a moderate consumption of HFCS, as was presented in this study.

This shit needs to be off the market.

Make fucking Ethanol out of it.

101lifts2 04-05-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 357696)
Well, part of it IS body type, but most fat people got that way because they were simply lazy. I'm lucky enough to have a fairly high metabolism and after literally two years of eating nothing but fast food and not working out, I've only jumped from 14% BF to 20% with a gain of about 20 lbs. Throw a person with different genetics on that same diet and no exercise and they'll blow up real quick. However, I saw the writing on the wall and knew I couldn't continue with that routine, so started eating right and working out again. But it's just been a couple weeks and I've only been lifting (no cardio), so no significant results yet.

Most fat people realize they're starting to get fat, but simply don't care or are too lazy to take care of it right away. Then it gets to the point where it would be a ton of work (pun intended) to lose all that weight and get in shape. Since they're lazy by nature, they continue to not care and tell themselves it would be too much work. They probably don't even realize just how much better they would feel if they were to get back in shape.

It's very difficult for me to make time to get my ass back in shape. I'm not a morning person, by any means, so I can't drag my ass out of bed early enough to work out then. But if I work out too late at night, then I have trouble going to sleep, making it even more difficult to get up in the morning. I've settled on working out in the evenings after work, but that takes time away from my daughter. It's a balancing act, but I know I have to lead a good example for my daughter, and if she sees me working out and trying to stay in shape, I have a better chance of her being healthy and not ending up like her mother (see above)

How did you measure this 14 and 20% body fat?

Buy an impedance BF meter and in the AM on an empty stomach w/o clothes measure your body fat %.

Rider 04-06-2010 08:54 AM

You want to be thin... P90X motherfuckers. I know people who are ripped from that shit. I'm seriously considering buying it.

shmike 04-06-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357707)
Didja miss the part about table sugar NOT triggering obesity, but that the HFCS DID trigger obesity?

How's THIS for a "food choice"; or are you oblivious to the fact that many (read: most) Americans DO drink sodas: If the sweetener in sodas has now been PROVEN to CAUSE obesity in lab animals, in concentrations HALF that of sugar, why are we to think it would be any different in humans?

By this reckoning, it can be said that even someone who attempts to take in only a moderate amount of soda that has been sweetened with HFCS, will likely risk obesity far more than someone who downs over twice as many sugared sodas.

I'm sorry, but that's significant when you consider that MOST Americans DO take in a moderate amount of soda, and may be "pushed over the edge" into obesity with just a moderate consumption of HFCS, as was presented in this study.

Make fucking Ethanol out of it.

I'm with you on many points, but....

Gregman is totally right.

Drop the soda + eat whole foods = problem solved.

Kaneman 04-06-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Agree.

KSGregman 04-06-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

How's THIS for a "food choice"; or are you oblivious to the fact that many (read: most) Americans DO drink sodas.

I think you're missing my point.

Consuming a soda that contains HFCS is a CHOICE...an UNHEALTHY choice...and I don't feel sorry for people who want to play the victim for CHOOSING to do something unhealthy....consuming shit food....smoking...you name it.

It seems wicked juvenile to say "I'm gonna eat shit foods or smoke all I want" in one breath and then say "I'm fat or I have lung cancer and it's the fault of HFCS or cigarettes" in the next.

No...actually...it's YOUR fault for CHOOSING to consume things that you KNOW aren't good for you.

MILK 04-06-2010 09:58 AM

There are several morbidly obese folks where I work. I run on my lunch hour. Multiple times I've been asked by those folks why I run because I'm not fat. I think alot of people just don't get it. They don't seem to understand that people exercise both for health and to prevent obesity. They only see in terms of size.

Also, I still remember pregnancy quite clearly. It amazed me how the increase in weight made everything so much harder.

Homeslice 04-06-2010 10:11 AM

Even if soda only contained sugar, it's still fucking stupid to drink. That's gonna be at least 50g of pure sugar, along with acid that can damage your teeth and stomach lining. Last I checked nobody here was a teenager anymore, so put the soda down.