Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ah shit. I'm in trouble now. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=2123)

Phenix_Rider 08-05-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 61128)
by lap 3 on my PP's I am comfortable going full out and could manage lap 2, but for a total newb who cant feel the difference, those few laps could make or break him... Ive seen too many senseless crashes now for something silly like cold tires to even think about risking it and pushing too early...

Yep. I have Pirelli DOTs- never ridden on them. I'll take it slow. But even cold, they have to grip better than the sport-touring tread I'm used to.

Trip 08-05-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider (Post 61130)
Yep. I have Pirelli DOTs- never ridden on them. I'll take it slow. But even cold, they have to grip better than the sport-touring tread I'm used to.

Why did you go with DOTs? It takes a lot more to heat those up and you really got to be pushing it for them to reach ideal temp without tire warmers. Not the best choice for a first track day especially if you are in novice and spend a lot of time in the first few sessions not even heating the tires up.

the chi 08-05-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 61132)
Why did you go with DOTs? It takes a lot more to heat those up and you really got to be pushing it for them to reach ideal temp without tire warmers. Not the best choice for a first track day especially if you are in novice and spend a lot of time in the first few sessions not even heating the tires up.

I agree sweetie, if you got DOT's def take it easy till at least midday or afternoon. In novice you wont be pushing nearly hard enough to warm them up and get them sticky.

Are they already broken in?

DLIT 08-05-2008 03:52 PM

When I was running PP's I would turn it between 2 and 3. I always made sure to accelerate hard and brke hard during the first couple laps. Not lean as much but accelerate and brake fairly hard to heat 'em up. I run Pilot Races now and also tire warmers. I turn it on between lap 1 and 2 now.

the chi 08-05-2008 03:59 PM

yeah the braking is good to warm, ive finally started using my front brakes myself and it made noticeable difference!

Phenix, im stoked I cant wait to hear how your day goes, and its a month away!

Trip 08-05-2008 04:02 PM

PPs heat up like nobodys business, 2 or 3 turns and they are good to go.

Phenix_Rider 08-05-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Because they were free from an ex-SV/now-Duc racer at work. I saw some at Carlisle that looked a lot worse off- blue/yellow discoloration and massive cold tearing- that were marked $200-250 a set. The ones I got seem to be in great shape for take-offs. I've been looking around for cheap tire warmers, but those bitches are all expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 61140)
yeah the braking is good to warm, ive finally started using my front brakes myself and it made noticeable difference!

Phenix, im stoked I cant wait to hear how your day goes, and its a month away!

:lol: You sound as excited as I am.

NONE_too_SOFT 08-05-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rae (Post 61136)
I agree sweetie, if you got DOT's def take it easy till at least midday or afternoon. In novice you wont be pushing nearly hard enough to warm them up and get them sticky.

Are they already broken in?

wow if he wasnt nervous before you guys really helped the situation.

They're still a soft compound, and will warm up just fine, just be sure by the end of the day you give it a little while before you start getting cocky.

DLIT 08-05-2008 06:05 PM

It is summer and the track will be hot, so that'll help. I ran PR's without warmers one day and they were fine, I just took it a bit easier for the first few laps.

Trip 08-05-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 61174)
It is summer and the track will be hot, so that'll help. I ran PR's without warmers one day and they were fine, I just took it a bit easier for the first few laps.

Yeah, but you werent running novice where they keep your speed in check for the first few sessions. Rae said it was in a month and it's up north, so I say he will have to be extra careful in the colder morning sessions when they are keeping them in line and low on speed.