Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   $447 bil (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20108)

shmike 09-09-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 489062)
A "job" is not a magic cure all that ensures all the family's or individual's needs are met.

A "government" is not a magic cure all that ensures all the family's or individual's needs are met.

RACER X 09-09-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 489069)
That's awesome. You're a good friend to have around! Not sure where you're getting the 3 years estimate.

currently unemploy. is extended to 2yr, w/ O's new plan 3 yrs.........

Corey 09-09-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

So if you have a family with 3 kids, grocery bills and a mortgage you're supposed to take an $8.00 an hour job at McDonalds and some how be able to pay those bills. Yes, that sounds like an awesome plan. A "job" is not a magic cure all that ensures all the family's or individual's needs are met.

Yes, you do it because you have to. You make sacrifices until you are able to secure a better paying job. You bite the bullet and do what's necessary. Unemployment is a wicked double edged sword. The longer you're on it, the longer you're out of the workforce, and the harder it is to find a job. Your ability to pull in a previous salary declines the longer your away from your position. Let's say someone spends the full two years on unemployment. That's two years that a person has not been working. If they're on unemployment, chances are they're not able to do a damn thing to improve their situation, making that gap in employment a greater liability. They lose the ability to obtain a position that pays anywhere near what they were making prior to unemployment and become practically irrelevant in the job market. That does not help people, that severely hinders them. There is no fucking glamour in a shitty McDonalds job, but that looks far better on a resume to potential employers than "sat on ass waiting for something to be handed to them.

Homeslice 09-09-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 489075)
Yes, you do it because you have to. You make sacrifices until you are able to secure a better paying job. You bite the bullet and do what's necessary. Unemployment is a wicked double edged sword. The longer you're on it, the longer you're out of the workforce, and the harder it is to find a job. Your ability to pull in a previous salary declines the longer your away from your position. Let's say someone spends the full two years on unemployment. That's two years that a person has not been working. If they're on unemployment, chances are they're not able to do a damn thing to improve their situation, making that gap in employment a greater liability. They lose the ability to obtain a position that pays anywhere near what they were making prior to unemployment and become practically irrelevant in the job market. That does not help people, that severely hinders them. There is no fucking glamour in a shitty McDonalds job, but that looks far better on a resume to potential employers than "sat on ass waiting for something to be handed to them.

I agree and disagree.........I think an employer would prefer a candidate who spent time volunteering, or writing a blog about their industry, or attending trade shows, something like that. Something that is actually relevant to their career. Oh but wait, that would require having some savings bulit up, so that they don't have to take a shitty non-relevant job like McDonalds. Can't have that. :rolleyes:

Corey 09-09-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 489076)
To an extent I disagree.........I think an employer would prefer that someone spent time volunteering, or writing a blog about their industry, or attending trade shows, something like that. Something that actually looks good on a resume. Oh but wait, that would require having some savings bulit up. Can't have that. :rolleyes:

Doing something, anything, is preferable to doing nothing. Unemployment encourages doing nothing.

Captain Morgan 09-09-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

So if you have a family with 3 kids, grocery bills and a mortgage you're supposed to take an $8.00 an hour job at McDonalds and some how be able to pay those bills. Yes, that sounds like an awesome plan. A "job" is not a magic cure all that ensures all the family's or individual's needs are met.

Since 40 hours per week at minimum wage is more than unemployment pays, yeah, they should take that job. However, since it's not a LOT more than unemployment pays, most of those people will choose to sit on their ass and do nothing except collect a check. Or they'll collect the check and do side work for cash that they choose to not report as income and not pay taxes on.

Homeslice 09-09-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 489078)
Or they'll collect the check and do side work for cash that they choose to not report as income and not pay taxes on.

:lol

so true, and so typical

EpyonXero 09-09-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 489078)
Since 40 hours per week at minimum wage is more than unemployment pays, yeah, they should take that job. However, since it's not a LOT more than unemployment pays, most of those people will choose to sit on their ass and do nothing except collect a check. Or they'll collect the check and do side work for cash that they choose to not report as income and not pay taxes on.

I love how everybody assumes that places like McDonalds or Walmart have a limitless number of open positions that unemployed people could walk right into if they wernt so lazy.

pauldun170 09-09-2011 12:09 PM

I know a few people who work seasonal jobs and collect unemployment for the off season.
The reason why I bring it up because several of them have been doing this for decades.
One of them has been working the same seasonal job since the early 1970's.
Is even in the union...

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpyonXero (Post 489083)
I love how everybody assumes that places like McDonalds or Walmart has a limitless number of open positions that unemployed people could walk right into if they wernt so lazy.

:lol

Homeslice 09-09-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpyonXero (Post 489083)
I love how everybody assumes that places like McDonalds or Walmart has a limitless number of open positions that unemployed people could walk right into if they wernt so lazy.

Depends on the area. Generally, nice suburban areas are the easiest to find good retail jobs. Go into a Trader Joes or Barnes & Noble, and the average age of the employees is like 40. It is considered a respectable, laid-back job that doesn't make them feel like failures. Hell, I wouldn't mind working there.