Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Learning to Ride (Track vs Street) (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15494)

CrazyKell 07-06-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 390777)
You don't need to be able to run a fast gap time to be a good street rider. There are a lot of people who can't ride aggressively that are far better street riders than someone who can put up a good time at the track.

Nowhere did I mention speed. I'm not talking about being fast. :skep:

DLIT 07-06-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 390776)
Yes, street riding isn't necessiarly aggressive riding. It isn't race line. It's a different technique. If you want to go 100%, the track is the place to learn, no doubt.

That's what I'm saying. I never go 100% on the street. But I use the street to practice certain things that help me build a good base so I can work on it more at the track. And you can practice the outside-inside-outside lines on the streets, too. You can apply track riding aspects to the street, easily.

tommymac 07-06-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 390766)
Same goes for the track.

Not sure were on the same page. I meant that someone can develop bad habbits street riding they they would need to relearn/correct at the track.

Plus at the track theres usualy classroom instruction and coaches out there riding with you that can help you correct mistakes/bad habits.

tommymac 07-06-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 390781)
That's what I'm saying. I never go 100% on the street. But I use the street to practice certain things that help me build a good base so I can work on it more at the track. And you can practice the outside-inside-outside lines on the streets, too. You can apply track riding aspects to the street, easily.

I do that quite often as well some things you can practice on the street, just not at all out speeds but I would work on my body work and some braking techniques

Trip 07-06-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 390781)

That's still track riding, you are just doing it on the street. Riding on the track is best practiced riding on the track. I have no question about that.

DLIT 07-06-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 390792)
That's still track riding, you are just doing it on the street. Riding on the track is best practiced riding on the track. I have no question about that.

Um, no. It's riding on the street, so it's street riding. Plain and simple.

DLIT 07-06-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 390782)
Not sure were on the same page. I meant that someone can develop bad habbits street riding they they would need to relearn/correct at the track.

Plus at the track theres usualy classroom instruction and coaches out there riding with you that can help you correct mistakes/bad habits.

We're on the same page. People learn bad habits on the track, too.

tommymac 07-06-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 390818)
We're on the same page. People learn bad habits on the track, too.

True, like hammering it to 160 on a given straightaway :lol:

smileyman 07-06-2010 04:10 PM

Everyone needs to know their bikes limits and capabilities. Everyone needs to pratice those responses particularly panic braking, downshift techniques, and turn in/lean/recovery. All are best learned and practiced in some safe controlled locale, like a track...

Mudpuppy 07-06-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 390837)
Everyone needs to know their bikes limits and capabilities. Everyone needs to pratice those responses particularly panic braking, downshift techniques, and turn in/lean/recovery. All are best learned and practiced in some safe controlled locale, like a track...

Exactly.. The track lets you push the limits so you know what your bike and you are capable of.. You can then apply that to street riding that will help you ride safer on the street - i.e. a car pulls out you have a good understanding of braking, etc.

I would strongly disagree that in general Harley riders and cruisers are more skilled.. 99% of them take the MSF, if that, and then ride.. And I ride with a lot of them and in general they are a danger to themselves and everyone else on the street..