Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ah shit. I'm in trouble now. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=2123)

marko138 08-06-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider (Post 61362)
Yep. I was looking for a good deal on anything sticky, then found these for nothing.

haha- Another guy that's going the 6th is running slicks and looking for someone with a generator to run warmers. Of course, I have no idea what bike he'll run, as he wadded up his ZX6R after he got bumped to A.

That bike was in rough shape.

ceo012384 08-07-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 61137)
I run Pilot Races now and also tire warmers. I turn it on between lap 1 and 2 now.

If you're running warmers you should be able to go hot into the first turn, dude.

r!der 08-07-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT BSTRD (Post 60951)
Caution, track days are like crack.

True, be prepared...there's a good chance you will become a trackhead. Start saving money now while you can!

OreoGaborio 08-07-2008 07:36 PM

Phenix, I think what a lot of guys have said here is great... there's a lot of good info shared in this thread from people who have been in the same position you're about to be in and there's really not a whole lot I can add because of it....

But here's two little bits of advice...

#1 - Remember... It's the same bike, the same rider, and the same pavement. The only thing that's changed is the environemnt... it's safer :)

#2 - Remember... You're not alone. As someone who's asked the question "Who's never ridden on the track before?" countless times in front of classrooms of beginner track riders over the last few years, at least 1/2 of the classroom will raise their hand.... Even AFTER we've come off the track from the follow-the-leader session, 1/2 of those people will raise their hands when asked the question a second time... I love doin that to em :lmao:

If you keep those two things in mind your nerves should stay settled enough for you to absorb all the info you need and ride safely.

HAVE FUN!!!

DLIT 08-07-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 61786)
If you're running warmers you should be able to go hot into the first turn, dude.

Safe than sorry. There's a reason why they do a warm-up lap before all the GP races start. Because going 100% on tires that have had warmers only is not the best idea.

Trip 08-07-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 61875)
Safe than sorry. There's a reason why they do a warm-up lap before all the GP races start. Because going 100% on tires that have had warmers only is not the best idea.

yeah, giving it a lap also lets your brain get into the game and gives you a good look through the conditions since you left the track instead of going full bore.

DLIT 08-07-2008 08:12 PM

I mostly do it to satisfy my mentals. I don't want to spend any energy worrying about my tires being too cold.

OreoGaborio 08-08-2008 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 61875)

It's more as a sighting lap... tires fresh off warmers are typically way hotter than they are after a warm-up lap as they start cooling down as soon as you take the warmers off.

I've got an I.R. temp gun... my warmers get em up to about 160+ degrees and that's hotter than when I come off the track after a race.

DLIT 08-08-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreoGaborio (Post 62002)
It's more as a sighting lap... tires fresh off warmers are typically way hotter than they are after a warm-up lap as they start cooling down as soon as you take the warmers off.

I've got an I.R. temp gun... my warmers get em up to about 160+ degrees and that's hotter than when I come off the track after a race.

Ideal temps for DOT race tires are around 180. And the temp drops of a tire fresh out of a warmer depend on where you're at. They only drop a certain amount of degrees a minute and it's not that much, from what I've heard. The track temps out here in Vegas are rediculous, like 130+. They'll keep your tires nice and roasty.

dReWpY 08-08-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider (Post 61130)
Yep. I have Pirelli DOTs- never ridden on them. I'll take it slow. But even cold, they have to grip better than the sport-touring tread I'm used to.

i have ran those before, money of a tire, loved it only got >1500 out of them before they were shot, but they were awesome tires...