Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pouty craigslisters (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=22065)

Rangerscott 01-16-2013 01:36 PM

Pouty craigslisters

I love it when they dont know what bartering is and they think youre being a dick then they turn into a 5 yr old.

Papa_Complex 01-16-2013 01:50 PM

I'd be willing to bet that 5 minutes of dealing with the old school East Indians in Brampton would turn you into a 'pouty Craigslister' too :lol:

Switch 01-16-2013 02:00 PM

Tell us more of the story.

Rangerscott 01-16-2013 02:41 PM

Guy has a 3 red ring xbox w/hdd and wants $40. I counter with a trade or $30. He replies back saying he'd like $40. I reply with, "120gb hdd?". Then he goes into to pouty mode and says, "Alrigt good for you if dont want it for $40, then Ill keep it.". I just said there was no reason to get upset. Just trying to barter.

Havent heard back

CasterTroy 01-16-2013 03:08 PM

You watch too much Gas monkey :lol

I use to list things on CL for what I wanted..thinking that if you only HAD $2500 surely you wouldn't drive all the way to someones house, and talk to them repeatedly if they were asking $3000 for something HOPING they would come down.....then I learned, you list it for what you'd LOVE to have if someone was just that dumb....because to date, I've NEVER not been bartered to death for anything I listed on CL. Drives me nuts but whatta ya gonna do?

Rangerscott 01-16-2013 03:32 PM

I love bartering. Although its almost completely dead these days.

RACER X 01-16-2013 03:32 PM

i was giving away our kids swingset, seen better days FREE

listed it, got 30 responses in prob 1-2hrs, buncha sad stories

ME i wanted it gone ASAP

first person to respond that they could come next day, i said, you have a 1/2 hr window to get here or on to next person, where are you from?

gave no time frame, but said was over an hr away

again asked a time and said it was going to be very difficult to get there in the AM being so far away

she asked why i was discriminating cuz she was from where she was from

me i don't care, but you're over an hr away and can't commit to a time

i'm gonna flag all your post ( i listed annon.) blah blah blah....

me: merry christmas

it went to next person who happened to be a fire fighter in god-parents 'hood. :)

Homeslice 01-16-2013 03:50 PM

I usually list all my shit below-market, and tell them it's firm. That way I don't have to do a bunch of back-and-forth with people. Seems to work with the bikes I've sold. It works if you're in a large metro with lots of competition, because buyers can compare and see that your price is already a great deal.

OneSickPsycho 01-16-2013 04:18 PM

Depends on what I'm selling and how much interest I get... Most of the times I list it for a fair price, but there's always wiggle room if I don't get a bunch of hits. If I get 10 emails the first day, shit is sold at what I listed it for.

Negotiations ARE a lost art... Most people I've sold to don't even try. Others try, but are so fucking horrible at it any slack I cut them is out of pity... Like the guy who told me the heavy bag I was selling is worth 50% more than what I was selling it for... then proceded to offer me 50% less than what I had it out there for. He paid full price, which was fair.

Papa_Complex 01-16-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 525617)
I usually list all my shit below-market, and tell them it's firm. That way I don't have to do a bunch of back-and-forth with people. Seems to work with the bikes I've sold. It works if you're in a large metro with lots of competition, because buyers can compare and see that your price is already a great deal.

I do the same. I still have had people show up and say got cash, then lowball me.

Last time was beginner DSLR with two lenses, two batteries, a memory card, bag, original manuals and software, and a $100.00 effects filter set. I put it up for $500.00. Asshole showed up and had the balls to offer me $400.00, after already agreeing to the $500.00 on the phone. He knew that he had made a mistake when I got up and started to walk out, without saying a word.

Homeslice 01-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 525627)
I do the same. I still have had people show up and say got cash, then lowball me.

Last time was beginner DSLR with two lenses, two batteries, a memory card, bad, original manuals and software, and a $100.00 effects filter set. I put it up for $500.00. Asshole showed up and had the balls to offer me $400.00, after already agreeing to the $500.00 on the phone. He knew that he had made a mistake when I got up and started to walk out, without saying a word.

It could work on some clueless sellers.......especially if he claims to notice damage that he "wasn't aware of before".

But in most cases it's BS, because if the buyer drove all the way out there, it means he's OK with the original price as stated.

goof2 01-16-2013 10:21 PM

I would definitely toss out an offer less than asking when I am seeing something in person. It seems to me like a lot of the stuff I see on Craigslist already has some wiggle room built in to the price to begin with. It would be stupid not to try. Of course I wouldn't agree to a price over the phone before seeing what I am buying. I wouldn't go see something if the seller makes it clear their price is firm and I'm unwilling to pay that either.

Papa_Complex 01-17-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 525628)
It could work on some clueless sellers.......especially if he claims to notice damage that he "wasn't aware of before".

But in most cases it's BS, because if the buyer drove all the way out there, it means he's OK with the original price as stated.

Given the equipment was spotless, he'd have had a little trouble trying to pull that on me. The situation backfired a little on him too as we're both members of the same local photography forum, and I'm hardly reticent about passing on such information to others who might be effected.

Flexin 01-21-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 525627)

Last time was beginner DSLR with two lenses, two batteries, a memory card, bad, original manuals and software, and a $100.00 effects filter set. I put it up for $500.00. Asshole showed up and had the balls to offer me $400.00, after already agreeing to the $500.00 on the phone. He knew that he had made a mistake when I got up and started to walk out, without saying a word.

When I had my used car business I sold a car to a young guy. We agreed on a price and were going to meet the next day. I had something done to the car for him and ran to Walmart to make him a spare key. After coming out he tried to offer me less money. :lol I said no, we agreed on a price. I was ready to get back in the car to drive off. He ended up paying the full price we agreed on.

James

EpyonXero 01-22-2013 11:12 AM

This is why I dont bother with Craigslist, eBay fees suck but I hate dealing with people even more.

2FURYUS 01-23-2013 12:13 AM

I was selling my '23 t-bucket and I had a guy try to low ball me another $500 after we agreed on a price over the phone. I told him to get out of my car and go home. Needless to say after he drove 14 hours to "look" at it. He coughed up the $500.... he had me so pissed I was ready to raise the price. lol

Homeslice 01-23-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2FURYUS (Post 525797)
I was selling my '23 t-bucket and I had a guy try to low ball me another $500 after we agreed on a price over the phone. I told him to get out of my car and go home. Needless to say after he drove 14 hours to "look" at it. He coughed up the $500.... he had me so pissed I was ready to raise the price. lol

But on the other hand, I don't know why anyone would "agree on price" over the phone for something as complex as a car or bike. There is no way you'll know its true condition and how much you're willing to pay until you go see it.

EpyonXero 01-23-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 525810)
But on the other hand, I don't know why anyone would "agree on price" over the phone for something as complex as a car or bike. There is no way you'll know its true condition and how much you're willing to pay until you go see it.

True.

Papa_Complex 01-23-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Easy enough to agree on price based on the item being as advertised, with no misrepresentation. I could understand wanting to renegotiate if there were undisclosed issues. Unfortunately it typically seems to not be the case, when some asshat decides to lowball.

Homeslice 01-23-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 525819)
Easy enough to agree on price based on the item being as advertised, with no misrepresentation. I could understand wanting to renegotiate if there were undisclosed issues. Unfortunately it typically seems to not be the case, when some asshat decides to lowball.

If I've never driven a particular model before, I won't know how much I'll like it until I drive it. So, even though the price might be acceptable for what the MARKET dictates, it might be too high for what I'm willing to pay if there is something about the way it drives/rides/feels that isn't as good as I was hoping it would be. So I see nothing wrong with telling the seller after the test drive "Well I haven't totally fallen for it, but I'll take it for $X"

Papa_Complex 01-24-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 525828)
If I've never driven a particular model before, I won't know how much I'll like it until I drive it. So, even though the price might be acceptable for what the MARKET dictates, it might be too high for what I'm willing to pay if there is something about the way it drives/rides/feels that isn't as good as I was hoping it would be. So I see nothing wrong with telling the seller after the test drive "Well I haven't totally fallen for it, but I'll take it for $X"

Then don't make a final deal and don't make the seller think that it's sold.

Krabill 01-24-2013 11:10 AM

One rule I've found on craigslist is that if you post something to sell that is worth more than $500, somebody will try to trade you a 4-wheeler for it.

Homeslice 01-24-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krabill (Post 525836)
One rule I've found on craigslist is that if you post something to sell that is worth more than $500, somebody will try to trade you a 4-wheeler for it.

Typically a rusted-out Bronco.

Papa_Complex 01-24-2013 12:45 PM

I guess that explains the rusted out Bronco, with no functional exhaust system, that one of my ghetto neighbours has been driving out of the lot around 5:15am every day lately.

CasterTroy 01-24-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 525841)
Typically a rusted-out Bronco.

If it's a pre-80 or even a post-79 with an SAS then we MAY be able to work something out :rockwoot:

2FURYUS 01-29-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Yeah, that's true, but I went above and beyond; giving dimensions of the tub, because he was concerned about being too tall... wheel base dimensions-so he knew it would fit in his trailer. And then the guy was there for over two hours before we even got to talking about money....8 hours later, before I got him out of my driveway. It was f'n crazy.