Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rodent Mod (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=13301)

azoomm 02-16-2010 12:20 PM

Rodent Mod

Yesterday I discovered a family of mice that had made a nice home on the seat of my 998. :panic: I haven't riden since the beginning of December - between being out of town and the weather kicking my ass... the bike has been unattended. Covered, but unattended.

I pulled the cover off of it - and a mouse ran out. I then noticed a big ball of fluff... and something hit my foot. I didn't notice what that something was, until I took a step and crushed an inch long small pink baby. CRUNCH. *shudder* and I screamed like a little girl.

There were three babies total - and I'm now a baby killer. Not only because I accidentally crushed the one, but because I dropped a brick on the others. I know, I know, I'm a big meanie... whatever - they left a pee stain on my seat.

I'm completely relieved that's ALL they did.

Black N Decker clickers are now on in the garage full force. I'd get a cat, but they are usually a bad idea when at the track...

I'm still creeped out.

tommymac 02-16-2010 12:24 PM

my snakes used to eat pinkies when they were small :)

Rider 02-16-2010 12:31 PM

Mouse traps with peanut butter keeps the population down to a minimum.

One spring a few years ago I pulled my lawn mower out of the shed, started it up and after a while I heard some squeaking noise under the engine shroud. It turned out to be baby mice getting burned from the engine heat. Apparently the mom mouse built a nice home inside the engine cover using lawn patch and feeding them bird seed.

ontwo 02-16-2010 12:32 PM

Rats stink bad when burned. I once threw a trap with a dead mouse in it into a brush fire. It smelled like ass x 1000

Homeslice 02-16-2010 12:43 PM

You dropped a brick on the other 2? Why? :scratch: Seems like the mother probably would have come rescue them if you let them be.

Rider 02-16-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 336811)
You dropped a brick on the other 2? Why? :scratch: Seems like the mother probably would have come rescue them if you let them be.

Why? Only to make more rodents? No thanks.

azoomm 02-16-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 336816)

Exactly.

We have snakes. We have traps with peanut butter. We still have mice.

My solution is going to be ride more and not give them the chance.

anthonyk 02-16-2010 12:59 PM

Cats aren't the answer. Ours is an awesome mouser, and he honed his skills by bringing in live ones (when we had a cat door) and treating the house like his own private game reserve. If only he'd have taken them back outside once they were dead.

Dave 02-16-2010 01:08 PM

mice can lick the peanut butter right off a trap. I found you'll get a better kill rate if you stick a chunk of carrot on the trigger and cover that in peanut butter. 90% of the time it works everytime.

CrazyKell 02-16-2010 02:22 PM

Ewwww! I would've screamed too.

And am I just a sicko....or am I the only one that wants pics? :lmao:

ontwo 02-16-2010 03:17 PM

I've had great success with the old standby, cheese. I wedge it in the groove on the trigger.

HokieDNA01 02-16-2010 03:57 PM

I used to work at a lab where killing mice and pinkies was an everyday chore. Sad but those critters breed a littler of 10-15babies every 21 days. If she had rescued them they would have just nested somewhere else. Pinkies are also VERY hard to kill by "humane" methods. crushing them or taking their heads off is the quickest way. I would have done the same thing.

Dave 02-16-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 336913)
I used to work at a lab where killing mice and pinkies was an everyday chore. Sad but those critters breed a littler of 10-15babies every 21 days. If she had rescued them they would have just nested somewhere else. Pinkies are also VERY hard to kill by "humane" methods. crushing them or taking their heads off is the quickest way. I would have done the same thing.

thats why God made arowanas

lauralynne 02-16-2010 04:43 PM

at least they can't lay eggs in your ears....neener neener

azoomm 02-16-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 336860)
Ewwww! I would've screamed too.

And am I just a sicko....or am I the only one that wants pics? :lmao:

:lol:

I thought about it... but, the feeling of it crushing under my foot was still too recent and creepy. Is it odd that I had no problem killing them - just feeling it squish/crunch.

Gas Man 02-16-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 336811)

No way... mothers typically don't come back after a human has interupted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 336816)

Exactly... I have chopped a full grown in half with a shovel. I have traps all around my house in key areas. Plus decon all around the garage and shed.

tommymac 02-16-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 336913)

I just feed em to the snakes. In the labs dont they asphyxiate them with co2?

derf 02-16-2010 05:44 PM

In the winter when it gets cold out I can get a mouse or two find their way into my house. I just started to lay out the glue traps along the walls and once in a while I hear one squaking like all hell. I just take the mouse stuck on the clue trap and drown it in a bucket of water. If I dont drown it a few days later I will see a mouse running around with a big patch of hair missing off its back.

anthonyk 02-16-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 336967)
I just feed em to the snakes. In the labs dont they asphyxiate them with co2?

Depends on what they're being used for, I bet. I worked in a brain lab for a summer, and they just lopped off the pinkies' heads over a bucket of liquid nitrogen.

The kittens got better treatment. At least they got knocked out before the brains came out. (It was a shitty summer.)

tommymac 02-16-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 336975)
Depends on what they're being used for, I bet. I worked in a brain lab for a summer, and they just lopped off the pinkies' heads over a bucket of liquid nitrogen.

The kittens got better treatment. At least they got knocked out before the brains came out. (It was a shitty summer.)

When I was in PA school our pharmacology prof hooked me up with a bunch of mice and rats for my critters and he said they were all killed via asphyxiation and then frozen for me. I dont recall what they were using them for though.

HokieDNA01 02-16-2010 07:03 PM

yeah the adults you can gas with CO2 but the pinkies will not die easily that way and after a few mins come right back to life. I prefered to kill the adults using cervical dislocation (breaking their necks) as is was much quicker and they didn't panick like they do with the gas. That technique takes some practice though and if you are timid at all about it then don't do it.

askmrjesus 02-16-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 336989)
I prefered to kill the adults using cervical dislocation (breaking their necks) as is was much quicker and they didn't panick like they do with the gas. That technique takes some practice though and if you are timid at all about it then don't do it.

She dropped a fucking brick on 'em, I don't think timidity is the problem. :lol:

I bought a old Jawa 250 at a swap meet . Dude said it didn't run. I cleaned out the carb and the tank, put in a new plug and kicked the hell out of it.

I thought the motor was stuck...

After the 28,000th kick, a family of mice shot out the exhaust, and hit my girlfriend in the knee.

She ended up dumping me, but that bike ran great.

JC

Gas Man 02-16-2010 11:14 PM

Thank you everybody.

I now don't feel like such a creep for my rodent killing.

dReWpY 02-16-2010 11:29 PM

I crush them between my fingers by making the skull flat

Cass 02-16-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 337051)
"...

After the 28,000th kick, a family of mice shot out the exhaust, and hit my girlfriend in the knee.

JC

snort

azoomm 02-17-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 337119)
Thank you everybody.

I now don't feel like such a creep for my rodent killing.

I'm only creeped out by the crunch/swish on the bottom of my foot. It wasn't so much the feeling as the fact that I didn't expect it. :panic:

Kerry_129 02-17-2010 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yuk - but :lmao:

Here's my not-so-high-flo air filter I found when I started refurb'ing my old VFR last spring... :?: :lol:

Particle Man 02-23-2010 09:19 PM

I've found that covers during long term storage are a bad idea for 3 things: snowmobiles, BBQ grills, and motorcycles... I used to have a problem every spring with mice in the "trunk" of my bike every year... until I stopped putting the cover on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 337051)

JC

:lmao:

Cruzergirl 02-23-2010 09:26 PM

...had to go check the bike in the storage unit 3 miles away. Found some pellets but no critters and the bike seems healthy enough. Even took her for a spin around the parking lot. I'll be checking on her at least once a week now!

This thread = yuk!!!!!

Please let it die...

Particle Man 02-23-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzergirl (Post 340893)
This thread = yuk!!!!!

Please let it die...

I'm sure Azoomm can drop a brick on it for you if you'd like... ;)

Cass 02-23-2010 09:45 PM

:lol

azoomm 02-23-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 340903)
I'm sure Azoomm can drop a brick on it for you if you'd like... ;)

:lol:

Nope, and I'll leave it up here JUST so people check on their bikes for the little bastards.