Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Cage Hell (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   New car for me.?.?. UPDATED 2012 Volvo C30 R-design (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19139)

Gas Man 05-13-2011 11:20 PM

New car for me.?.?. UPDATED 2012 Volvo C30 R-design

Well I won't get into why... at this point... legal reasons...

I'm looking at sports cars... remember mine is I-4 turbo with about 275hp/340 ft lbs.

NO MORE GM PRODUCTS PERIOD!!!

No Mustangs, cause they are "me too" cars.

Test drove a Mazda Speed3, about a week ago. Nice more linear power feel compared to the brute power of my HHRSS. Tight car but not sure it's all there. $24k - discount. Owned by Ford, made in japan. Eat little crow but still... hell even use my Ford discount on one.

test drove a 2011 RX-8 GT today. Great great great looking car. Beyond awesome sounding motor (needs pipes, like all stocks). Tight crisp 6 speed manual. Superb seats, feel, 50/50 weight distribution, cornered on rails. Back seat has a stupid center console that would hinder Brinks hauling. Then you plant down the right foot... the 9k start of red-line is WOW. But a complete lack of power. My HHRSS will beat it in a race. It is about the same amount of power/speed as the Speed3. But it's $8K more! WTF!! Isn't this the Mazda flag ship?? :td:

Tried to test drive a Challenger RT Classic with A DAMN MANUAL AKA STICK SHIFT AKA 6 SPEED AKA NON SLUSH BOX!!! F'in 2 dealers didn't have one. one even had a SRT8 (out of my price range) in a F'in auto!!!! :wtfru: FU*KSTICKS!!

Going tomry to look at a NW GTI, Nissan 370Z (big negative is no back seat) & Altima coupe

Maybe then a WRX limited. Saw a Lancer EVO at the dealer but F that $45k tag.

I would like to keep it near $30k. HOWEVER, some of these are closer to $35k. I MAY be ok with that if it makes me grin. :dribble:

Ideas?

dReWpY 05-13-2011 11:28 PM

The WRX is a great car when you dont try to push 400hp through it. I loved that car and will own one once again, just not in the near future

derf 05-13-2011 11:38 PM

Yeh the RX8 is a huge letdown, especially after how great the RX7 was. I had both the first and second gen rx7s and they both kicked ass. The 1st gen was kinda underpowered with a 12a engine, but it was completely stripped down brining the weight bellow 2,000 lbs and handled like it was on rails. My 2nd gen had the turbo motor 13b-t and once it started to produce boost it would just lay the power down. I was trying to buy a 3rd gen but they are just too pricey for me and I wound up with a ford focus instead.

My brother has a 2011 Subaru 2.5 sport, pretty sweet car. at 170 hp its no super race car, but it will haul ass on any road you throw at it, and get decent gas mileage too. I'm not to impressed with the 2012 new model imprezza, they dropped the engine down to a 2 liter and the hp down to 140, but that was only to get better gas mileage.

Dave 05-13-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469766)
Well I won't get into why... at this point... legal reasons...

I'm looking at sports cars... remember mine is I-4 turbo with about 275hp/340 ft lbs.

NO MORE GM PRODUCTS PERIOD!!!

No Mustangs, cause they are "me too" cars.

Test drove a Mazda Speed3, about a week ago. Nice more linear power feel compared to the brute power of my HHRSS. Tight car but not sure it's all there. $24k - discount. Owned by Ford, made in japan. Eat little crow but still... hell even use my Ford discount on one.

test drove a 2011 RX-8 GT today. Great great great looking car. Beyond awesome sounding motor (needs pipes, like all stocks). Tight crisp 6 speed manual. Superb seats, feel, 50/50 weight distribution, cornered on rails. Back seat has a stupid center console that would hinder Brinks hauling. Then you plant down the right foot... the 9k start of red-line is WOW. But a complete lack of power. My HHRSS will beat it in a race. It is about the same amount of power/speed as the Speed3. But it's $8K more! WTF!! Isn't this the Mazda flag ship?? :td:

Tried to test drive a Challenger RT Classic with A DAMN MANUAL AKA STICK SHIFT AKA 6 SPEED AKA NON SLUSH BOX!!! F'in 2 dealers didn't have one. one even had a SRT8 (out of my price range) in a F'in auto!!!! :wtfru: FU*KSTICKS!!

Going tomry to look at a NW GTI, Nissan 370Z (big negative is no back seat) & Altima coupe

Maybe then a WRX limited. Saw a Lancer EVO at the dealer but F that $45k tag.

I would like to keep it near $30k. HOWEVER, some of these are closer to $35k. I MAY be ok with that if it makes me grin. :dribble:

Ideas?

hyundai genesis turbo. same basic motor as the evo/srt4. rear wheel drive and about 3000 lbs. get it in black

370 has some gay bullshit that rev matches for you and should be shunned at the earliest opportunity.

Gas Man 05-13-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy (Post 469769)
The WRX is a great car when you dont try to push 400hp through it. I loved that car and will own one once again, just not in the near future

I hear that... but I wonder if it is a "me too" car as well. That's another aspect I liked the RX8 was they simply aren't many of them around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469770)
Yeh the RX8 is a huge letdown, especially after how great the RX7 was.

My brother has a 2011 Subaru 2.5 sport, pretty sweet car. at 170 hp its no super race car, but it will haul ass on any road you throw at it, and get decent gas mileage too. I'm not to impressed with the 2012 new model imprezza, they dropped the engine down to a 2 liter and the hp down to 140, but that was only to get better gas mileage.

I agree on the RX8. But I totally felt like it would go as fast as I could make it around the corner, like you are saying about the subi.

Another aspect I don't like about the subi is the distance I have to drive to get to a dealer. I'm use to having a dealer 5 mins from my house. But I guess that doesn't matter if you don't need to take it in all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469772)
hyundai genesis turbo.

Um... hyundai might be pushing my new open mind. But the numbers are there...

Dave 05-13-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469770)
Yeh the RX8 is a huge letdown, especially after how great the RX7 was. I had both the first and second gen rx7s and they both kicked ass. The 1st gen was kinda underpowered with a 12a engine, but it was completely stripped down brining the weight bellow 2,000 lbs and handled like it was on rails. My 2nd gen had the turbo motor 13b-t and once it started to produce boost it would just lay the power down. I was trying to buy a 3rd gen but they are just too pricey for me and I wound up with a ford focus instead.

i loved it, its just a "balance" car not a "power" car. do some boltons, haul the kids around, do some autocross/gymkanha.

Dave 05-13-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469774)
I hear that... but I wonder if it is a "me too" car as well. That's another aspect I liked the RX8 was they simply aren't many of them around here.

I agree on the RX8. But I totally felt like it would go as fast as I could make it around the corner, like you are saying about the subi.

Another aspect I don't like about the subi is the distance I have to drive to get to a dealer. I'm use to having a dealer 5 mins from my house. But I guess that doesn't matter if you don't need to take it in all the time.

Um... hyundai might be pushing my new open mind.

go LOOK at it. they grow in leaps and bounds the GC is pretty sweet. bout the only new car id consider at this point. I do hear the challenger is bowing out soon and the charger might pick up its six speed in the srt form. THAT could get my attention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpLcG...eature=related

Gas Man 05-13-2011 11:59 PM

That looks like the I4 edition... but the V-6 has more power.

derf 05-14-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469774)

Yeh, I was just very underwhelmed by the RX8, almost like the designers forgot what made the RX7 such a great car. The 2011 and prior imprezza just seems to get better with every year, just by the spec sheet I'm not impressed with the 2012. But the 2011 2.5 (not the sti or the wrx), while not a super powerhouse can handle its own on any road. I never felt like it would do something other than exactly what i wanted. If I wanted to drift it I could, if I wanted to just rail around corners I could. Neither RX7 had room for kids, but it could carry groceries if you didnt buy much. Neither of them were practical cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469775)
i loved it, its just a "balance" car not a "power" car. do some boltons, haul the kids around, do some autocross/gymkanha.

The first gen was completely stripped down, there was no interior at all, no carpet, no dashboard, no anything, just a sheet aluminum dash, the standard guages, a momo steering wheel, a race seat for the driver and a hard plasic seat for the passenger, all the glass except for the windshield was replaced with plexiglass (I did have a small vent that I could pop open for fresh air). The car just felt right when I drove it, it wasnt a monster but it had teeth.

tallywacker 05-14-2011 12:22 AM

Lancer Ralliart is nice as well. AWD turbo and costs less than the EVO

Dave 05-14-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469782)
Yeh, I was just very underwhelmed by the RX8, almost like the designers forgot what made the RX7 such a great car. The 2011 and prior imprezza just seems to get better with every year, just by the spec sheet I'm not impressed with the 2012. But the 2011 2.5 (not the sti or the wrx), while not a super powerhouse can handle its own on any road. I never felt like it would do something other than exactly what i wanted. If I wanted to drift it I could, if I wanted to just rail around corners I could. Neither RX7 had room for kids, but it could carry groceries if you didnt buy much. Neither of them were practical cars.

The first gen was completely stripped down, there was no interior at all, no carpet, no dashboard, no anything, just a sheet aluminum dash, the standard guages, a momo steering wheel, a race seat for the driver and a hard plasic seat for the passenger, all the glass except for the windshield was replaced with plexiglass (I did have a small vent that I could pop open for fresh air). The car just felt right when I drove it, it wasnt a monster but it had teeth.

ive always wanted a 1st gen, 2nd gen turbo engine swaps in pretty easy and they only weigh like 2000

tallywacker 05-14-2011 12:26 AM

I've driven the RX-8 on a few occasions and would never own one. No power at all.

Gas Man 05-14-2011 12:31 AM

That's it tally. The speed3 feels faster and $8k cheaper. It's sad cause prior to the right foot experience my only glitch was the back seat center console vs dog thing. I was huge disappointed!!!

dReWpY 05-14-2011 12:33 AM

drive wrx hatchback
??????
profit!

Gas Man 05-14-2011 12:35 AM

What??

Profit what?

I didn't get any winfall. Far from it. Looking at DD replacement. Can explain but over phone not in print.

dReWpY 05-14-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469798)
What??

Profit what?

I didn't get any winfall. Far from it. Looking at DD replacement. Can explain but over phone not in print.

have you tried driving the hatchback WRX, they are a blast to drive and have a fairly good track record, minus the 2007

101lifts2 05-14-2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469766)
....NO MORE GM PRODUCTS PERIOD!!!...

Such dissapointment. redflip

Camaro? :lol:

OneSickPsycho 05-14-2011 07:31 AM

Fuck new... Take your 30 g's and buy an old, restored muscle car.

Particle Man 05-14-2011 07:41 AM

The Genesis made me grin when I drove one. Take one for a test drive for shits and giggles

Gas Man 05-14-2011 08:14 AM

101. It saddens me to be at the point I am with gm. Especially when I have 2 retired family members from there. So no, camaro isn't an option.

Osp. Ya know. That has always been a dream but where would I stop. Further, I want reliable. Stop would be an old muscle car with new frame, suspension, and fi motor. Its been done many times but not for my price range.

I may check the genesis. Different day, as wife and I have plans later.

derf 05-14-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469813)
101. It saddens me to be at the point I am with gm. Especially when I have 2 retired family members from there. So no, camaro isn't an option.

I'm with you, I'm just not impressed by the quality of american vehicles, I've bought a bunch and it seems that japanese cars just seem to last longer without any problems.

pauldun170 05-14-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Osp. Ya know. That has always been a dream but where would I stop. Further, I want reliable. Stop would be an old muscle car with new frame, suspension, and fi motor. Its been done many times but not for my price range.

I may check the genesis. Different day, as wife and I have plans later.

I've seen it on the road quite a few times and it is definitely a sharp looking car. Not too many of them so you wont see yourself coming and going. I personally thing the mustang is a better value but if american cars are off your list and you want a new car the Genesis is worth a look. Have you considered used G37's?
The only issue with those is that you are automatically a deuschebag as soon as you turn the engine on and the only station that comes through on the radio is club music.

Cutty72 05-14-2011 09:56 AM

RX8 for your area = suck. Burn a lot of oil, suck in the cold, suck in the snow/ice, and no power till redline.

I'd go w/the speed3. Love that car, and if I was car shopping for myself, that would for sure be on the short list. I know you can get programing to give you full power in the first 3 gears too, not sure if that would be helpful though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 469810)

Truth...

Gas Man 05-14-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469818)
I'm with you, I'm just not impressed by the quality of american vehicles, I've bought a bunch and it seems that japanese cars just seem to last longer without any problems.

Don't get it twisted... I'm nixxing off all american cars just GM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 469824)
I've seen it on the road quite a few times and it is definitely a sharp looking car. Not too many of them so you wont see yourself coming and going. I personally thing the mustang is a better value but if american cars are off your list and you want a new car the Genesis is worth a look. Have you considered used G37's?
The only issue with those is that you are automatically a deuschebag as soon as you turn the engine on and the only station that comes through on the radio is club music.

Now you're tracking. I don't want to see myself coming & going. That's why I don't want a mustang and perhaps the same reason why I don't want a challenger (that & the price for the model I want, RT Classic).

As I said, just GM is off my list. But even used GM is off my list. I will never own, support, or buy anything GM. Sucks cause I like old 70's GM muscle and corvettes. Perhaps later in time I will consider used stuff, but not now.

G37... hmmm, looks like a Genesis.

Gas Man 05-14-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 469828)
RX8 for your area = suck. Burn a lot of oil, suck in the cold, suck in the snow/ice, and no power till redline.

I'd go w/the speed3. Love that car, and if I was car shopping for myself, that would for sure be on the short list. I know you can get programing to give you full power in the first 3 gears too, not sure if that would be helpful though!

Truth...

Yeah and I may consider the speed 3 back to the list but for now... I've already drove it and will continue to look around it.

I just looked around on Honda.com and while the CRX & Civic Si are nice. If I'm going to dump the performance side by doing that. I might as well get a Focus Titanium 5 door. Look great, Ford discount and all, good MPG, and would look like the big brother to Uma's Fiesta (which we have had NO problems with).

Gas Man 05-14-2011 10:17 AM

Hell I just read on Ford.com that the Focus ST is to be released to US for 2012. I wonder when that is.

Dave 05-14-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469839)
Hell I just read on Ford.com that the Focus ST is to be released to US for 2012. I wonder when that is.

is that still the turbo 5 cylinder? might be worth waiting for. volvo c30 is basically the same thing though, thats a fun little car too, 5 bangers have this amazing intake wail

tallywacker 05-14-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469839)

Yeah the focus ST is going to be badass.

For snow though either a WRX or the Lancer RalliSport would be great options. The RalliSport has paddle shifting if you like that or not.

tallywacker 05-14-2011 11:38 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnV...ocus-ST-01.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....60_2_1_450.jpg

The old ST shares the Power Plant with the s30.

The new ST will use a 247 hp (184 kW) version of the 2.0L EcoBoost engine.

tallywacker 05-14-2011 11:39 AM

http://www.autoreleasedate.org/wp-co...ew-610x450.jpg

http://www.autoreleasedate.org/wp-co...ew-610x450.jpg

tallywacker 05-14-2011 11:46 AM

LOL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWoXJIe0prU

101lifts2 05-14-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

101. It saddens me to be at the point I am with gm. Especially when I have 2 retired family members from there. So no, camaro isn't an option. ...

Why the sudden change? Are you trying to get GM to buy your car back? Also, you did buy a Trailblazer and a Cobalt (HHR), not the top of the line GM products. lol

I've owned a 2008 STS Caddy, which was my fav. vehicle of all the vehicles I've owned. The powertrain, smoothness and quietness was just done right. Japan just doesn't have the feel that the bigger American cars do on the freeway.

I think the Genesis looks like a Altima copy with a bad rear side window layout. The interior is only OK. I know three guys that work for Hyundai in Irvine...they tell me Hyundai really only cares about how the car looks...quality is a distant second. They also don't understand how cars even get to market as the Koreans are a strange bunch.

If you are worried about reliability, get a Honda with a manual transmission such as an Accord.

The Mazda 3 IMO has too underassisted steering. VW seems to be the best in terms of steering, braking and chassis. I'd say get a GTI and an ext. warranty.

fujimoh 05-14-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 469810)

You can into a lotus or ferrari for 30K

Homeslice 05-14-2011 08:15 PM

I agree, get a GTI. Best interior of anything on your list. And German cars own on the highway. Most Jap and American cars lose their composure when you try to make a quick lane change at high speed.

Fords & Mazda styling is only good for twenty-somethings. Aren't you older? They're kind of metrosexual anyway. The RX8 is nice, it has a true sportscar chassis, but it's kind of expensive and has absolutely horrible fuel economy. You'd be lucky to average 20 mpg.

The Genesis coupe is a disappointment. The V6 version is too heavy, and the turbo I4 version doesn't have the balance shafts that the new Sonata has.

Altima coupe is for chicks and metros who think the 2-door version is somehow better-looking than the 4-door, but sorry it's still not a sportscar. Sportscar = a car that does not share its chassis with a sedan.

370Z would actually be the best choice in terms of pure sportscar.........But as you stated, it's only a 2-seater.

Gas Man 05-14-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469841)
is that still the turbo 5 cylinder? might be worth waiting for. volvo c30 is basically the same thing though, thats a fun little car too, 5 bangers have this amazing intake wail

I don't know about a 5 cylinder

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 469872)
Why the sudden change? Are you trying to get GM to buy your back? Also, you did buy a Trailblazer and a Cobalt (HHR), not the top of the line GM products. lol

I've owned a 2008 STS Caddy, which was my fav. vehicle of all the vehicles I've owned. The powertrain, smoothness and quietness was just done right. Japan just doesn't have the feel that the bigger American cars do on the freeway.

I think the Genesis looks like a Altima copy with a bad rear side window layout. The interior is only OK. I know three guys that work for Hyundai in Irvine...they tell me Hyundai really only cares about how the car looks...quality is a distant second. They also don't understand how cars even get to market as the Koreans are a strange bunch.

If you are worried about reliability, get a Honda with a manual transmission such as an Accord.

The Mazda 3 IMO has too underassisted steering. VW seems to be the best in terms of steering, braking and chassis. I'd say get a GTI and an ext. warranty.

Ok, sure I bought a HHRSS, it being where ever it is on the GM pecking list doesn't negate it's reliability or not.

A Caddy is a caddy. Nuff said and not in my playing field.

I agree that the Genesis and the Altima coupe being sisters. I looked at the Altima coupe today and it's simply not for me. It did nothing for me in the looks department. So much so that I never even drove it. Further as I said, I won't get the Hyaundi. Japan is one thing, Korean is another. I'll draw my line at Japan.

The Speed 3 is fine but still "not there". Which completes any Mazda from my consideration. Sorry Mazda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 469879)
I agree, get a GTI. Best interior of anything on your list. And German cars own on the highway. Most Jap and American cars lose their composure when you try to make a quick lane change at high speed.

Fords & Mazda styling is only good for twenty-somethings. Aren't you older? They're kind of metrosexual anyway. The RX8 is nice, it has a true sportscar chassis, but it's kind of expensive and has absolutely horrible fuel economy. You'd be lucky to average 20 mpg.

The Genesis coupe is a disappointment. The V6 version is too heavy, and the turbo I4 version doesn't have the balance shafts that the new Sonata has.

Altima coupe is for chicks and metros who think the 2-door version is somehow better-looking than the 4-door, but sorry it's still not a sportscar. Sportscar = a car that does not share its chassis with a sedan.

370Z would actually be the best choice in terms of pure sportscar.........But as you stated, it's only a 2-seater.

I'm 32, Tuesday, but don't consider Ford or Mazda for 20 somin age.

100% correct on the RX8 chassis. It's awesome! Yes shit MPG, but so was most of what I was looking at.

As I said... Genesis is out entirely. I wouldn't be able to look at myself owning that. Altima... yeah I can agree with you on that.

I agree on the German cars. A buddy had a BMW years ago and loved it. 250hp was spanking 350hp mustangs. Beat the piss out of it for 3 years and it was as good after as it was new. I've always respected German cars and Hondas. Just weren't in my cup.

As I said I was going to the VW dealer today. They didn't have the GTI. I will need to go to a different dealer for that. However, I found the car for me... as long as I like the GTI.

The new 2012 Golf R. 50 more hp making it to 256hp, 6 speed manual (only offering YEA), and AWD. :dribble: 2 door or 4 door (2 door for me). Dealer is figuring it to price out around upper 20's, or maybe $30k fully loaded to the gills. It also offers all the great creature comforts and that beloved german interior of quality.

That's where I stand now. Going to try to get out this week to test drive a GTI. Then once my standing on my GM vehicle is one way or the other. Perhaps order or pre-order the Golf R. Who ever says anything bad about a Golf or GTI?

Dave 05-15-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fujimoh (Post 469873)

ferrari...no. not even close. you might get in the door on someone who is desperate with a 40 year old 308 but parts and service will eat you alive.

lotus, might find an elise down there. esprits are to be avoided as the use a renault box truck transmission that is notoriously weak and long out of production. theres potential there, that yamaha designed v8 could be seriously nasty if mated to a porsche gearbox but that kinda fab will easily double your cost.

only real option in that range is an nsx. and you will get raped on insurance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 469879)

balance shafts are for faggots

german cars blow dicks for reliability. most fun thing about em is trying to guess whats going to fall off next. *

*i cant speak for mercedes, never tried one. the rest of them though suck balls

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 469890)
I don't know about a 5 cylinder

Ok, sure I bought a HHRSS, it being where ever it is on the GM pecking list doesn't negate it's reliability or not.

A Caddy is a caddy. Nuff said and not in my playing field.

I agree that the Genesis and the Altima coupe being sisters. I looked at the Altima coupe today and it's simply not for me. It did nothing for me in the looks department. So much so that I never even drove it. Further as I said, I won't get the Hyaundi. Japan is one thing, Korean is another. I'll draw my line at Japan.

The Speed 3 is fine but still "not there". Which completes any Mazda from my consideration. Sorry Mazda.

I'm 32, Tuesday, but don't consider Ford or Mazda for 20 somin age.

100% correct on the RX8 chassis. It's awesome! Yes shit MPG, but so was most of what I was looking at.

As I said... Genesis is out entirely. I wouldn't be able to look at myself owning that. Altima... yeah I can agree with you on that.

I agree on the German cars. A buddy had a BMW years ago and loved it. 250hp was spanking 350hp mustangs. Beat the piss out of it for 3 years and it was as good after as it was new. I've always respected German cars and Hondas. Just weren't in my cup.

As I said I was going to the VW dealer today. They didn't have the GTI. I will need to go to a different dealer for that. However, I found the car for me... as long as I like the GTI.

The new 2012 Golf R. 50 more hp making it to 256hp, 6 speed manual (only offering YEA), and AWD. :dribble: 2 door or 4 door (2 door for me). Dealer is figuring it to price out around upper 20's, or maybe $30k fully loaded to the gills. It also offers all the great creature comforts and that beloved german interior of quality.

That's where I stand now. Going to try to get out this week to test drive a GTI. Then once my standing on my GM vehicle is one way or the other. Perhaps order or pre-order the Golf R. Who ever says anything bad about a Golf or GTI?

me :lol vw is the apple of cars. I'll leave it at that

101lifts2 05-15-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469912)
.....german cars blow dicks for reliability. most fun thing about em is trying to guess whats going to fall off next. ...

Eh...you're living in the past. VW reliablity is almost as good as Toyota nowadays. 5 years ago..no...but in 2008 and higher..yes.

BMW makes the most reliable European car, but the MB engines are built to last longer. Transmissions are pretty much a wash. Germans give you consistently good build materials, Japan cheapens out every year.

The 2010 Golf I have walks any Japanese car in terms of material quality and solidity. They don't even come close...and the steering, chassis and braking are far better than any car in it's price range (I leased mine, but the price was 16,100). Not to mention the interior rocks and feels like its going to last 50 years. No issues yet, but its only a year old with 13k miles.

Dave 05-15-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 469917)
Eh...your living in the past. VW reliablity is almost as good as Toyota nowadays. 5 years ago..no...but in 2008 and higher..yes.

BMW makes the most reliable European car, but the MB engines are built to last longer. Transmissions are pretty much a wash. Germans give you consistently good build materials, Japan cheapens out every year.

The 2010 Golf I have walks any Japanese car in terms of material quality and solidity. They don't even come close...and the steering, chassis and braking are far better than any car in it's price range (I leased mine, but the price was 16,100). Not to mention the interior rocks and feels like its going to last 50 years. No issues yet, but its only a year old with 13k miles.

we had parts literally falling off the motors on our fleet bmws before they got binned. our audis have what could only be kindly referred to as an oil addiction and toyota makes some amazingly boneheaded designs. like for example the prius gas bladder and the fuel guess gauge. never drove one i actually liked

tallywacker 05-15-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469841)

They use a different motor now

derf 05-15-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

ferrari...no. not even close. you might get in the door on someone who is desperate with a 40 year old 308 but parts and service will eat you alive.

You can find a mid 80s Mondial for less than 20k easily, and find an old seven, elise, spirt, and even the post 2002 US imported elises are staring to hit the sub 20k range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469919)
we had parts literally falling off the motors on our fleet bmws before they got binned. our audis have what could only be kindly referred to as an oil addiction and toyota makes some amazingly boneheaded designs. like for example the prius gas bladder and the fuel guess gauge. never drove one i actually liked

You are talking about basically a rental fleet, people abuse those cars worse than anything else, I give your opinion no consideration whatsoever.

pauldun170 05-15-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fujimoh (Post 469873)

:lol

Damn youngins and their crazy comments

Homeslice 05-15-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

balance shafts are for faggots

Or for people who like smooth engines when you rev them out.

More than one magazine has criticized the Genesis's engine NVH.

I could see putting up with some NVH if it's a $10K used car, but not a $20-25K new one.

Particle Man 05-15-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469939)
You are talking about basically a rental fleet, people abuse those cars worse than anything else, I give your opinion no consideration whatsoever.

I'm the opposite - I figure if a car can go through that it can go through anything I could possibly throw at it.

pauldun170 05-15-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 469872)

Disagree with Mazda steering assist.
Agree that the GTI is nice and the motor is underrated

101lifts2 05-15-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 469919)
we had parts literally falling off the motors on our fleet bmws before they got binned.....

What parts? Very very rare to see anything "fall off an engine" that is production intent.

derf 05-15-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 469961)
I'm the opposite - I figure if a car can go through that it can go through anything I could possibly throw at it.

When was the last time you saw a rental car with more than 40 or 50k miles? Or more than a few years old? You dont because companies realize that as rentals the cars start costing more in maintenance at that point than they would be to replace with a newer model. It doesnt matter what kind of car it is dropping from N to D with the engine spinning at 6k will destroy it.

incidently I was extremely scared to drive the last cobalt I rented, it made noises that I never would have expected to hear come out of a car.

Homeslice 05-15-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469967)
incidently I was extremely scared to drive the last cobalt I rented, it made noises that I never would have expected to hear come out of a car.

lol...

One thing that's very common with GM FWD cars is a "hollow" noise when driving over bumps. Makes you think a control arm is about to fall off.

derf 05-15-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 469974)
lol...

One thing that's very common with GM FWD cars is a "hollow" noise when driving over bumps. Makes you think a control arm is about to fall off.

No, I mean that when I started it up there was a small clacking sound that got worse after 5 minutes. The clacking turned into a steady stream of metallic clanking sounds. The only way that I can really describe the sound is that it was like a thousand really tiny garden gnomes wearing steel condoms where anally raping the engine to the tune of old mcdonald. I wound up bringing the car back because I really thought that it would leave me on the side of the road. The car had less than 10k on it.

The hollow wurring suspension noise is normal for FWD GM.

Trip 05-15-2011 08:03 PM

Fuck this talk about other cars, I want to know the story on the 180 degree spin towards GM.

OneSickPsycho 05-15-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 470011)
Fuck this talk about other cars, I want to know the story on the 180 degree spin towards GM.

That's the reason I keep clicking on this thread.

101lifts2 05-15-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

When was the last time you saw a rental car with more than 40 or 50k miles? Or more than a few years old? You dont because companies realize that as rentals the cars start costing more in maintenance at that point than they would be to replace with a newer model.....

It's more to do with residual value, then maintenance. Most cars today will go 100k miles before any services are needed and and most fleets will replace only the front tires and never rotate them to save replacing the rear.

101lifts2 05-15-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 469980)
No, I mean that when I started it up there was a small clacking sound that got worse after 5 minutes. The clacking turned into a steady stream of metallic clanking sounds. The only way that I can really describe the sound is that it was like a thousand really tiny garden gnomes wearing steel condoms where anally raping the engine to the tune of old mcdonald. I wound up bringing the car back because I really thought that it would leave me on the side of the road. The car had less than 10k on it.

The hollow wurring suspension noise is normal for FWD GM.

Sounds like the EVAP cannister purge solenoid. You will hear it when the engine is started because the commanded duty cycle is high. I'm guessing it's mounted close to the firewall.

dReWpY 05-15-2011 10:00 PM

GM=the suck

Dave 05-15-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 469966)
What parts? Very very rare to see anything "fall off an engine" that is production intent.

its been a while but i believe it was the acc belt tensioner. sheared clean off at under 10,000 miles

Quote:

When was the last time you saw a rental car with more than 40 or 50k miles? Or more than a few years old? You dont because companies realize that as rentals the cars start costing more in maintenance at that point than they would be to replace with a newer model. It doesnt matter what kind of car it is dropping from N to D with the engine spinning at 6k will destroy it.

most of our fleet is in the 90k range or above. we are beginning to cycle them out but its a long process

Quote:

ditto

zerioustt 05-15-2011 10:37 PM

Too bad no GM...could get a nice used cts-v for under 30k.

tallywacker 05-15-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Yep, Gas send us a copy of what went down to our PM boxes.

101lifts2 05-16-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy (Post 470027)
GM=the suck

Drewpy=the punk redflip

dReWpY 05-16-2011 01:47 AM

There isn't the a new GM car that seems worth a damn IMHO, then again there isn't a new car other then a jeep I would consider owning. I just don't like any new cars as much as I do the older cars.

Particle Man 05-16-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 470039)
Yep, Gas send us a copy of what went down to our PM boxes.

The 90's and 00's.

dubbs 05-16-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 470017)

Same here.. Yeah.. what happened?

zerioustt 05-16-2011 10:05 AM

My wife has a 2010 gmc terrain that I like a lot. AWD 4cyl withe 185hp that gets 28mpg tons of bells and whistles. She put 33k on it in a year and we have had 0 issues.

smileyman 05-16-2011 11:43 AM

Toyota should have the FT-86 out soon and the updated Subaru Impreza Coupe looks promising. Wait long enough and Mazda's RX8 replacement will show or get the Genesis, just wait till they sort out their manual transmission action. I hear it is lurchy between the clutch, shifter, and take up.

Maybe look at the updated Honda Civic Si if your front wheel drive friendly...

derf 05-16-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 470017)

Since he has not actually told us why the about face on GM lets just make shit up.

I bet he took his GM car for a drive and it caught fire and wouldnt stop moving while he was in it, so he crashed into a school bus full of kids and killed them all. So now he needs to move on to Toyotas which arent known for hitting school buses while on fire and accelerating out of control

Dave 05-16-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 470112)
Toyota should have the FT-86 out soon and the updated Subaru Impreza Coupe looks promising. Wait long enough and Mazda's RX8 replacement will show or get the Genesis, just wait till they sort out their manual transmission action. I hear it is lurchy between the clutch, shifter, and take up.

Maybe look at the updated Honda Civic Si if your front wheel drive friendly...

Ft86 has promise, coming from toyota though I expect it to be boring with an awful interior

Dave 05-16-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 470121)
Since he has not actually told us why the about face on GM lets just make shit up.

I bet he took his GM car for a drive and it caught fire and wouldnt stop moving while he was in it, so he crashed into a school bus full of kids and killed them all. So now he needs to move on to Toyotas which arent known for hitting school buses while on fire and accelerating out of control

Ill bet him and uma were in the backseat making babies when the onstar folks got caught evesdropping

defector 05-16-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Terrible accident with the shifter and an orifice - I wouldn't want to talk about it either.

Homeslice 05-16-2011 01:29 PM

drewpy, derf, dave, dubbs, defector...i cant tell you guys apart

defector 05-16-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 470136)
drewpy, derf, dave, dubbs, defector...i cant tell you guys apart

I'm the short one.

dReWpY 05-16-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defector (Post 470138)
I'm the short one.

im the fat, slow one

derf 05-16-2011 01:52 PM

I'm the grumpy one

Trip 05-16-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 470140)
I'm the grumpy one

nope, you are the token jew

derf 05-16-2011 02:16 PM

Yeh that too

Dave 05-16-2011 02:24 PM

I'm the hairy one

Gas Man 05-16-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 470128)
Ill bet him and uma were in the backseat making babies when the onstar folks got caught evesdropping

Combine the 2 and you have it.

Just saw a Volvo today. Priced out a sweet C30R at $32k on their website.
http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars...XT_1.5_Lrg.jpg
http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars...XT_1.1_Lrg.jpg

The Volvo & VW dealers are next to each other in Troy & Ann Arbor so I'm planning a test drive trip soon.

I'm not sure how these 2 will compare... anybody got info on the volvo drivetrains? Seems like all their models run the same turbo I-5.

I looked online at BMW & Saab but they are out of my price range for what I want and I'm not sold on their looks.

derf 05-16-2011 08:08 PM

That volvo is bad ass.

Gas Man 05-16-2011 08:33 PM

I know rite!! But how does it compare to the GTI or Golf R??

It's right in the middle for power and weight between the 2 VWs. More power than the GTI and 150# heavier.

Gas Man 05-16-2011 08:35 PM

Perhaps... is the Volvo better to my age (32) than the VW?? IDK

tallywacker 05-16-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 470214)

I like them because there aren't many S30's on the road. Unique car.

Gas Man 05-16-2011 08:37 PM

Here's the interior pics
http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars...NT_2.1_Lrg.jpg
http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars...NT_2.6_Lrg.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 470215)
I like them because there aren't many S30's on the road. Unique car.

True! And yet I do see some GTIs

Dave 05-16-2011 08:38 PM

Volvo is a solid ass car. Almost bought one. Oil pan is cast so try not to bang it on anything

tallywacker 05-16-2011 08:43 PM

whoops I mean c30

http://www.c30world.com/forums/

Find some insight on there and see if there is anything to avoid.

anthonyk 05-16-2011 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Normally I'd say yes, but these days it's a tough call. :lol

Gas Man 05-16-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 470219)
Volvo is a solid ass car. Almost bought one. Oil pan is cast so try not to bang it on anything

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 470221)
whoops I mean c30

http://www.c30world.com/forums/

Find some insight on there and see if there is anything to avoid.

Will check but that is going to happen with any car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 470235)
Normally I'd say yes, but these days it's a tough call. :lol

I know... I know... but still. Who that watches that will actually know the car.

Homeslice 05-16-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Both are fine up to age 50. They have that Euro maturity.

The Mazdaspeed though, eh.......35 tops

Gas Man 05-16-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 470251)

Check!

101lifts2 05-16-2011 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 470251)

The GTI is a better car...but let's face it, you're gonna drive it like a pussy anyway so might as well get the Volvo....Though the Volvo is kinda of a chick car.

:angel:

Adeptus_Minor 05-17-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 470202)
Combine the 2 and you have it.

Just saw a Volvo today. Priced out a sweet C30R at $32k on their website.

If you absolutely have to pay $32k for your Mazdaspeed 3, sure. :shrug:
I looked at both, I drove both, I bought the Mazda.

Dave 05-17-2011 01:20 AM

get the wood steering wheel and shift knob

Homeslice 05-17-2011 07:23 AM

Get the one with a limited slip that actually works.........some don't

Gas Man 05-17-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 470257)
The GTI is a better car...but let's face it; you're gonna drive it like a pussy anyway, so might as well get the Volvo....Though the Volvo is kinda of a chick car.

:angel:

Chick car? Really... It's not a miata!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 470265)
If you absolutely have to pay $32k for your Mazdaspeed 3, sure. :shrug:
I looked at both, I drove both, I bought the Mazda.

Are you saying they are built on the same platform? :skep:

They definitely aren't the same motor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 470280)
Get the one with a limited slip that actually works.........some don't

Explain please.

derf 05-17-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 470465)
Are you saying they are built on the same platform? :skep:

They are all using the ford C1 platform, so the answer is yes, but yes there are multiple engines that are swapped in the different vehicles

ford focus & fusion, mazda 3 & 5, volvo c30 &70 & V50 & S40

Homeslice 05-17-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 470465)
Explain please.

LSD's (limited slip differentials) are supposed to help tame torque steer on a powerful FWD car, as well as help it power out of tight corners. But many of them work poorly. The car boards and magazines would know.

I don't even know if some of those models have them. I believe the Mazdaspeed does.

Gas Man 05-17-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 470478)
They are all using the ford C1 platform, so the answer is yes, but yes there are multiple engines that are swapped in the different vehicles

ford focus & fusion, mazda 3 & 5, volvo c30 &70 & V50 & S40

Good to know.

But stating the similarity would be like saying a MKZ & Fusion are exactly alike and they just charge $10k more for the MKZ. They share the same platform but even the motors are different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 470519)
LSD's (limited slip differentials) are supposed to help tame torque steer on a powerful FWD car, as well as help it power out of tight corners. But many of them work poorly. The car boards and magazines would know.

I don't even know if some of those models have them. I believe the Mazdaspeed does.

I understand. My HHRSS has one and is still a BIG handfull of power.

Adeptus_Minor 05-17-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 470519)

The Mazdaspeed does use a limited slip differential and they also have a proprietary torque management system that helps cut down on wheel spin and torque steer by restricting torque output from the engine while steering.
Don't ask me how that works, Mazda doesn't go into great detail about it either.

racedoll 05-17-2011 10:05 PM

Didn't bother with all 10 pages.. my vote is for a Subaru, either the WRX or Legacy GT. I'd say STi, but you want to be under $30K and this is well over.

Gas Man 05-17-2011 10:18 PM

Yeah I'm not doing a Subi. Too much "me too". I see way too many of them. It's almost like owning a GSXR. Certainly there are allot of them and for good reason, they are great. But I don't want to do that...

Cutty72 05-17-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 470531)
The Mazdaspeed does use a limited slip differential and they also have a proprietary torque management system that helps cut down on wheel spin and torque steer by restricting torque output from the engine while steering.
Don't ask me how that works, Mazda doesn't go into great detail about it either.

Power/torque is limited in the first 3 gears as well.

derf 05-18-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 470529)
Good to know.

But stating the similarity would be like saying a MKZ & Fusion are exactly alike and they just charge $10k more for the MKZ. They share the same platform but even the motors are different.

They share something like 50 or 60% of their parts. It the stuff you dont see that makes them the same, the unibody chassis is almost teh same, steering column, suspension, brakes, switches, electric motors, AC system, heater locks, wire harness, fuel tank, pumps etc... All the hidden shit you dont see. So when you pay 30k for a C30 volvo (still an awesome car) all you are really paying for is the cool body shape, motor and interior.

Gas Man 05-18-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 470556)
Power/torque is limited in the first 3 gears as well.

That is craptistic IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 470560)
They share something like 50 or 60% of their parts. It the stuff you dont see that makes them the same, the unibody chassis is almost teh same, steering column, suspension, brakes, switches, electric motors, AC system, heater locks, wire harness, fuel tank, pumps etc... All the hidden shit you dont see. So when you pay 30k for a C30 volvo (still an awesome car) all you are really paying for is the cool body shape, motor and interior.

Yeah that part sucks... but happens all too often.

I decided to check top gear about the cars.

They have this cool "car chooser" and it always puts the GTI towards the top under my choices...
http://www.topgear.com/uk/parkinglot...unningCosts:50

Here's the GTI review
http://www.topgear.com/uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/verdict

Here's the C30 (not R) review
http://www.topgear.com/uk/volvo/c30/verdict

Homeslice 05-18-2011 08:22 PM

I tried that car chooser but there's no US version. Keeps giving me weird-ass Euro cars you can't buy here.