Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bike Shopping (Well, Window Shopping) (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21558)

jtemple 07-20-2012 02:55 PM

Bike Shopping (Well, Window Shopping)

Next spring, I may buy a new bike. I'm beating up the Husky by racking up so many pavement miles on it, and I'd like to start doing some road trips again.

I'll be keeping the Husky.

I'll be buying new. I'll be keeping whatever it is I buy for a long time.

I want either a Hayabusa or a ZX-14R, but I'm not sure which.

I want hard bags; SW Motech racks w/Givi bags.

Hayabusa:
  • read a lot of complaints about brakes, but they're probably good enough for me
  • aftermarket is pretty unbelievable; they have everything
  • bags, bolt them on and go
  • no word on what's coming for 2013

ZX-14R:
  • better brakes than Hayabusa
  • traction control
  • hard bags require some ghetto exhaust modification and there are currently no plans for an update from SW Motech for racks that work off the shelf
  • exhaust I'm eyballing (Brock's Alienhead) should clear the bags, but points right at one of them - worried it might melt the bags
  • faster than the Hayabusa (unless Suzuki releases an update for 2013)
  • reading reports that frame sliders do more damage than good, breaking engine mounts off of the frame in a crash

I like both bikes, but of course the 14R excites me more, being the faster one of the two nowadays and with better brakes and traction control.

Discuss!

OneSickPsycho 07-20-2012 02:59 PM

Concours 14 will most likely be my next bike purchase.

shmike 07-20-2012 03:09 PM

I think per board rules, you have to purchase a BMW once you are over 30 years of age as evidenced by the upcoming posts from...

Trip: Buy a BMW GS, they do everything.

azoom: He doesn't need a GS, Trip but he should definitely buy a BMW. I have ridden every BMW ever made and it is the only bike that anyone should buy, ever.

Troy: I loved my BMW motorcycle. Now I have 17 BMW cars.

G-Rex: I've ridden to all 56 states and 9 other continents. My BMW is the best bike ever.

tommymac 07-20-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 516279)
Concours 14 will most likely be my next bike purchase.

I didnt care for the connmie that much, and I am over 30 and still don town a BMW LOL

Cutty72 07-20-2012 03:13 PM

From what I've seen/read, if you jumped on a 14 and ran a 1/4, then jumped on a busa and ran a 1/4, times would probalby be the same. The difference in speed is minor and IMO rider difference.
I personally like the looks better on the busa, but that's all personal opinion.
Connie would be a good option, unless you need really sporty.

Trip 07-20-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 516281)
I think per board rules, you have to purchase a BMW once you are over 30 years of age as evidenced by the upcoming posts from...

azoom: He doesn't need a GS, Trip but he should definitely buy a BMW. I have ridden every BMW ever made and it is the only bike that anyone should buy, ever.

G-Rex: I've ridden to all 56 states and 9 other continents. My BMW is the best bike ever.

This is awesome. :lol:

pauldun170 07-20-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

:lol

RACER X 07-20-2012 03:20 PM

the 14 may be faster then the 'busa w/ Ricky gadson onboard, but for us mere mortals it really makes no diff.

never really had a prob. w/ the brakes on the busa, though it did have upgraded pads

pick which one you think looks better

tommymac 07-20-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 516286)
the 14 may be faster then the 'busa w/ Ricky gadson onboard, but for us mere mortals it really makes no diff.

never really had a prob. w/ the brakes on the busa, though it did have upgraded pads

pick which one you think looks better

From traces expierences we know a busa is a capable tourer and has goodies you can add for touring purposes.

I think comparing the 2 is like comparing the zx-10 to r1. Either is plenty of bike for us mere mortals.

RACER X 07-20-2012 03:45 PM

rode mine 1/2 way cross country w/ only a tank bag.....lol

but it was set up for touring w/ basically 2 sets of risers

no gadgets no extra luggage
1st real time riding a busa
thru deals gap and all
lol

goof2 07-20-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Nicely done!

I agree with most of what's been posted about the speed issue. They are both faster than just about anything this side of a Veyron and there is about a hair of difference between the two. If you want to base your decision on telling people what it can do go off performance. If you want to base it on what you do with it use the other factors.

jtemple 07-20-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Priceless!

You guys are right about the power differences. It probably won't make a damn bit of difference to me in that regard.

From a modding standpoint (luggage & exhaust), the Hayabusa wins out, I think. There's no denying the vast number of addons available for it. I do dool over that new 14R though!

The 14R sits you more upright than the Hayabusa. The pegs are lower; the bars are higher. Probably not enough of a difference to matter, especially when you consider that higher bars and lower pegs are available for both bikes.

I may put bar risers on, but I'll probably leave the pegs as-is.

OneSickPsycho 07-20-2012 04:24 PM

I think it's Cortech that makes hard bags for the Busa that are color matched and follow the same lines of the 2nd gen tails... pretty fucking slick looking.

And you can always try out a set of Buell pegs on the cheap to drop them 1"... very common mod.

jtemple 07-20-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 516293)
I think it's Cortech that makes hard bags for the Busa that are color matched and follow the same lines of the 2nd gen tails... pretty fucking slick looking.

And you can always try out a set of Buell pegs on the cheap to drop them 1"... very common mod.

That's Corbin. I looked into them (they make some for the previous gen 14 as well). They're ridiculously expensive ($1800), take some time to install/remove, and don't hold much.

G-Rex 07-20-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

This made me laugh. Well done!

I'll give you a bit of info based on my knowledge of the Busa, which spans 9 years and 72,000 miles.

1) The brakes work well enough. They should be better for the caliber of bike they are on. Pads and stainless lines would be a good upgrade, especially once you add 75 or 80 pounds for touring gear.

2) Givi would be a good bag. Stay away from Corbin's Beetle bags, they are useless. Not much storage and a small opening. Waste of money.

3) My Busa has no changes to the ergonomics (stock seat, stock clip-ons, stock footpegs) and the bike is comfortable enough for me to log 1000 mile days.

4) Mine has been 99.9% flawless in the maintenance department. I've had to give it one battery, tires, chain/sprockets, oil changes, and fuel. The ONLY non-regular maintenance item to fail on the bike so far has been the right side fork seal, and that gave out at 65,000 miles. Not bad if you ask me.

I love mine. I have zero complaints with it. It's an amazing motorcycle in many ways. If you want to know anything else hit me up.

Adeptus_Minor 07-20-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 516295)

3) My Busa has no changes to the ergonomics (stock seat, stock clip-ons, stock footpegs) and the bike is comfortable enough for me to log 1000 mile days.

What WOULDN'T you log 1000 mile days on? Really? :nee::lol:

jtemple 07-20-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 516304)

I'm kinda the same way. Did 2500+ miles on the Husky in 5 days. On and off road.

No Worries 07-20-2012 10:44 PM

Here's a nice busa for less than $5.3K http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3116168718.html. The money that you save you can spend on accessories and speeding tickets.

G-Rex 07-20-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 516304)

Let's see. I've done 1000 mile days on the Busa, the TLR, and the BMW, so everything in my garage has seen Iron Butt level riding.

So, to answer your question, I'll shoot for a 1000 mile day on anything! ;)

Porkchop 07-21-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

And they are badass, even the bad guys in the new Dark Knight ride BMWs..... :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 516322)
Let's see. I've done 1000 mile days on the Busa, the TLR, and the BMW, so everything in my garage has seen Iron Butt level riding.

So, to answer your question, I'll shoot for a 1000 mile day on anything! ;)

On the TLR??? Efffffff that....

jtemple 07-21-2012 09:57 AM

I think the most brutal road trip I've done was Sturgis on a ZX-10R. 5 days, about 3000 miles. I was sore for a week after that. :)

jtemple 07-21-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 516320)
Here's a nice busa for less than $5.3K http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3116168718.html. The money that you save you can spend on accessories and speeding tickets.

Not a bad looking bike. Don't care for the paint scuffs that are likely under that tank bra, though.

tommymac 07-21-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 516336)
I think the most brutal road trip I've done was Sturgis on a ZX-10R. 5 days, about 3000 miles. I was sore for a week after that. :)

My back started to hurt just reading that LOL

Worst i did was 800 or so miles from deals gap back to NY on my 99 TLS. The S is a bit more forgiving than the R and isnt THAT bad on the highway, but my arse was numb for 2 days after that ride.

G-Rex 07-21-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 516324)

On the TLR??? Efffffff that....

Yup! In May of 2003 I rode my TLR to Florida for a week's vacation. I took 1-1/2 days getting there (OKC to Pensacola on day 1, Pensacola to Orlando day 2).

I spent a week goofing off in FL, then I headed to Two Wheels Only in northern Georgia for a good night's rest, then it was off to OKC on the TLR. 1100 miles in 22 hours.

For the record, I don't recommend 1000 miles in one day on the TLR. lol :wtfru:

This trip is what gave me the touring bug. One month before this trip, I bought a 2003 GSXR 1000. 3 months after this trip, I traded the GSXR 1000 in on the Hayabusa that I have today. :)

tommymac 07-21-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 516340)
Yup! In May of 2003 I rode my TLR to Florida for a week's vacation. I took 1-1/2 days getting there (OKC to Pensacola on day 1, Pensacola to Orlando day 2).

I spent a week goofing off in FL, then I headed to Two Wheels Only in northern Georgia for a good night's rest, then it was off to OKC on the TLR. 1100 miles in 22 hours.

For the record, I don't recommend 1000 miles in one day on the TLR. lol :wtfru:

This trip is what gave me the touring bug. One month before this trip, I bought a 2003 GSXR 1000. 3 months after this trip, I traded the GSXR 1000 in on the Hayabusa that I have today. :)

You bought the hyabusa as a new bike? Could have sworn you bought it used.

G-Rex 07-21-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 516341)
You bought the hyabusa as a new bike? Could have sworn you bought it used.

Nope. I rolled it off the dealership floor with 2 miles on it. I took it back 30 days later for the first service with 3200 miles on it. The service guys just shook their head at me. :rockwoot: