Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Attn Ladies - do you do your own maintenance? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15483)

CrazyKell 07-05-2010 04:01 PM

Attn Ladies - do you do your own maintenance?

Just wondering how many ladies do their own maintenance (anything from basic to more advanced).

I'm writing an article on learning how to do some basic things and am just looking to get some perspective on the issue.

Personally, I'm very mechanically challenged and it's been a real struggle for me to learning anything. It's not that I don't want to, it's that, well, you don't know what you don't know. Slowly I'm learning though.

Any thoughts?

CrazyKell 07-05-2010 04:06 PM

Just thought about something. This might come off as excluding men.

I don't necessarily mean to exclude men, the article is being written for a female audience though and the editor wants comments from females in it.

I'd be interested to hear men's comments as well. Sorry about that.

derf 07-05-2010 04:09 PM

buy a clymer or haynes manual and one of the 150 piece tool kits from sears. You can do almost anything you want to a bike with that combination. Some stuff will require specialty tools, but those will come as you need them.

azoomm 07-05-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 390336)
buy a clymer or haynes manual and one of the 150 piece tool kits from sears. You can do almost anything you want to a bike with that combination. Some stuff will require specialty tools, but those will come as you need them.

Perhaps. Though the one thing that holds back [most] women is the strength to turn the wrench on many of the bolts, or even an oil filter.

Manual IS a critical item.
Breaker bar
Torque wrench

I'm also a big fan of the right tools for the job. No one should ever feel they need to run out and buy every tool out there from the beginning. Tool collections are best accumulated as needed. And, buy the best tools you can for your budget - Craftsman, SnapOn, similar are my favorites as they will replace tools if/when broken. Therefore, they are the best for the long term.

I started with the above, a simple set of metric sockets, wrenches and screw drivers. From that, I bought tools as the job required. Yes, I believe that anyone can work on their own motor. It does take a bit of common sense, and patience. Learn to not be afraid to ask questions through the process and when to walk away. It can be very humbling when you miss one very simple and sometimes obvious step in any maintenance routine.

I know many women that do their own work - we have started clinics here in Austin at two of the dealerships to get women more involved. I think it never occurred to them as an idea to work on their own. They all got started by seeing others involved.

derf 07-05-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 390350)
Perhaps. Though the one thing that holds back [most] women is the strength to turn the wrench on many of the bolts, or even an oil filter.

Anyone can unscrew the tightest oil filter, even if it is locked on there, with the right tool. A good oil filter tool or just stab it with a screw driver will work every time

gavilan 07-05-2010 06:09 PM

I started out just 'helping' some of my friends and learning. With time I ended up doing a lots of things on my bike. I love wrenching and I love being able to fix issues. It does help to have someone to ask if you get into a tight spot or if you need that extra muscle. lol

I agree with Zoomie: you need the right tools, the manual and patience.

dReWpY 07-05-2010 06:19 PM

Every mc owner should read zen and the art of motorcycle maintence

Cutty72 07-05-2010 06:49 PM

The gf does her own, with my supervision and muscle as needed.

It was a lot harder for me to slow down and TEACH than it was for her to learn it!

HokieDNA01 07-05-2010 10:16 PM

I do my own basics, oil, removing wheels for tire swaps etc. Hoping to learn more and gain more confidence tackling things.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/P3290280.jpg

racedoll 07-05-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 390403)
The gf does her own, with my supervision and muscle as needed.

Same here - I do the work but Erik supervises and helps with those stubborn bolts. I also have a service manual, from Kawasaki (not an "aftermarket" one).

I had to buy one special tool, a 22mm hex head socket for my front axle. I could only get from Snap On so it was an arm and a leg, but is better than rigging up something like we did the first time I took the front wheel off.

A lot of people (I work with) are surprised that I work on my own bike (car too). I take pride in knowing about the bike or car that I'm operating. I may not know as much as someone else, but I know more than some.

Gas Man 07-06-2010 12:11 AM

Same goes for Uma as Cutty said...

Here's Uma puttin on her highway bar
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...hwaybar008.jpg

Puttin on her windshield and hardware
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...dshield002.jpg

proper work attire for winter time mods
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3.../TnT/TT013.jpg

Buttoning up the wiring up for her new tach
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3.../TnT/TT016.jpg

Hell she changed the oil in the TBSS the other month because she wanted to.

Gas Man 07-06-2010 12:12 AM

There is no reason why it can't be done. I generally just explain what to do and why. She goes along and does it.

CrazyKell 07-06-2010 08:48 AM

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I'm one of those people that has never really worked on my own bike. Of course there are a variety of reasons (no garage and no tools), but I'm slowly rectifying it and doing things little by little. Hell it was a big accomplishment for me to change my coolant out! :lmao:

Not sure which way I'm going to go with this article yet but I appreciate the help!

derf 07-06-2010 08:52 AM

Got any more pictures of your wife? :)

marko138 07-06-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 390399)

That books SUCKS.

derf 07-06-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 390596)
That books SUCKS.

Yeh, some of us cant read the small print

marko138 07-06-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 390598)
Yeh, some of us cant read the small print

It's not even about MC maintenance.

lauralynne 07-06-2010 10:07 AM

mostly. I CAN do all of it - down to building from frame up - but Louie is there to help with questions (and google is if he's not). I'm fortunate to have the space, time, and tools.

newB45 07-06-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 390399)

Good book just kinda hard to get through. I own it and it took forever for me to read. But I also have both twist of the wrists and another one that i for some reason I can't remember.

Oh and I can change oil and do a few other simple things. But I think I'm going to find a friend to teach me other stuff once I get my bike.

Dave 07-06-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 390465)
Same here - I do the work but Erik supervises and helps with those stubborn bolts. I also have a service manual, from Kawasaki (not an "aftermarket" one).

I had to buy one special tool, a 22mm hex head socket for my front axle. I could only get from Snap On so it was an arm and a leg, but is better than rigging up something like we did the first time I took the front wheel off.

A lot of people (I work with) are surprised that I work on my own bike (car too). I take pride in knowing about the bike or car that I'm operating. I may not know as much as someone else, but I know more than some.

Kawi toolkits come incomplete? The 954's kit is excellent though I've added hemostats and a razor boxcutter to it

Cass 07-06-2010 01:49 PM

With the time/tools/guidance (either from a book or a human), I don't mind it at all... and kinda enjoy it. Without the time, I just take it to a shop, and realize that I am paying for the time/convenience factor.

Amber Lamps 07-06-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 390455)
I do my own basics, oil, removing wheels for tire swaps etc. Hoping to learn more and gain more confidence tackling things.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/P3290280.jpg

Hey are you losing weight? I noticed that you looked pretty good in your avy and again here... BTW they sell chain breakers for $12...:lol: I know a lot of people grind them but imho it's easier and safer to use a breaking tool.

Amber Lamps 07-06-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 390687)
Kawi toolkits come incomplete? The 954's kit is excellent though I've added hemostats and a razor boxcutter to it

We don't need to know about your roach clip and coke cutter buddy!:lol:

the chi 07-06-2010 04:21 PM

If I have the spare time, I do my own. I dont mind using the internet, utilizing friends knowledge and getting the wrench time and I really enjoy getting my hands dirty. I've got my own tools, and learned to fabricate at least one (to use on the engine mount bolt).

If I dont have time, I have a Father in Law that can fix anything. And if I have to take it to the shop, I try to do a thorough once over as they always seem to tweak things they shouldnt. Like brakes. And levers. And chains. :lol:

racedoll 07-06-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 390687)

Apparently so because there was nothing in there that would even come close to working. I've added the necessarily nail file to my kit :lol:

dReWpY 07-06-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newB45 (Post 390685)
Good book just kinda hard to get through. I own it and it took forever for me to read. But I also have both twist of the wrists and another one that i for some reason I can't remember.

Oh and I can change oil and do a few other simple things. But I think I'm going to find a friend to teach me other stuff once I get my bike.

what part of Tn Region dO you Live in? Like the plateau region?

Dave 07-06-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 390836)
We don't need to know about your roach clip and coke cutter buddy!:lol:

What? Never accidentally drop a screw down a velocity stack? Or needed smaller fingers to grip something? Hemostats are a great addition to any toolkit lol

Sixxxxer 07-06-2010 06:41 PM

Am I the only one who thought about Maintenance not related to Bikes?? ;)

Trip 07-06-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 390880)
Am I the only one who thought about Maintenance not related to Bikes?? ;)

Yes, because you are a soulless ginger.

Tsunami 07-06-2010 08:14 PM

I haven't had to do too much, so I can do very basic maintenance on my own with a manual and some borrowed muscle if needed and lots and lots of time since it takes me a while to figure it out. Mostly just oil changes, clean/lube chain, basic mods likes lights, fenders etc. I'm sure as I have the SV longer, more will need to be done to it, such as suspension etc, but I am sure I can get friends to help. I just have a basic tool/socket set from walmart but will purchase tools as needed.

When I was going to put on my frame sliders, my friend offered to help. So he came over and he realized that I don't have the tools for it. He gave me the tools that he had and I couldn't loosen the bolts :lol:

I haven't needed to bring my bike yet into a shop.

Sixxxxer 07-06-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 390892)
Yes, because you are a soulless ginger.

Better than to be a cock raving douchebag i guess

Cruzergirl 07-06-2010 09:07 PM

Don't do my own motorcycle maintenance. Never have. Don't plan on starting. I have never had an interest in it.

Looks like I'm in the minority here.

Rangerscott 07-06-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 390333)
Just thought about something. This might come off as excluding men.

I don't necessarily mean to exclude men, the article is being written for a female audience though and the editor wants comments from females in it.

I'd be interested to hear men's comments as well. Sorry about that.

You meant it you man hater.

I do all my own work unless I absolutely need a special tool.

OTB 07-06-2010 11:25 PM

Went to do a coaching session with a lady on Sat. She went to start the bike...nothing. Battery dead (8 yrs old.....)

Turned it into a learning session. Handed her the tools and showed her how to remove the battery, went over the charging system components. Sent her off to Battery Warehouse and then let her install it and button the bike back up.

The look on her face when she turned the key and the bike started up was PRICELESS. She actually thanked me for showing and letting her do it on her own...she had a great sense of accomplishment and she said that it made the bike "hers" rather than just a thing and it was much less intimidating than she thought.

The next day we had a one hour ride and she was MUCH more confidant. Knowledge is power.

I'd be interested in seeing your article and providing links to it...many of the folks I run into are completely baffled by anything other than putting gas in the tank.

Gas Man 07-07-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 390583)
Got any more pictures of your wife? :)

I may but the better question is... Do you?

derf 07-07-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 391164)
I may but the better question is... Do you?

Hold on, let me check

Archren 07-07-2010 11:52 PM

I do small, routine maintenance. Oil changes, tire changes (provided I have the right tools.. which currently, I do not. :( ), I have swapped out rectifiers, soldered on a new connector (also related to the rectifier), swapped coolant, changed spark plugs... but never done a major overhaul on a bike. I need and want to learn so I can rebuild my Blast... I just hope I can put it back together being that I wasn't the one who took it apart. :panic:

Amber Lamps 07-08-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 391240)
I do small, routine maintenance. Oil changes, tire changes (provided I have the right tools.. which currently, I do not. :( ), I have swapped out rectifiers, soldered on a new connector (also related to the rectifier), swapped coolant, changed spark plugs... but never done a major overhaul on a bike. I need and want to learn so I can rebuild my Blast... I just hope I can put it back together being that I wasn't the one who took it apart. :panic:

Are you kidding? Tracey can show you how, the guy built a Ducati from the ground up for you just a couple months ago! I doubt that there's anyone short of Gas Man or Eric more qualified to teach someone how to work on bikes. That's guy's a mechanical genius almost. I'm sure that you'll be fine! besides, even I could put a Blast back together, they are a very simple bike from what I've seen. Actually, that sounds like a perfect bike to learn on imho, I'm sure you and Tracey will have it back together in no time!!!:rockwoot:

Gas Man 07-08-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 391236)
Hold on, let me check

So do you? Come on I need a few more...

Dave 07-08-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 391263)
Are you kidding? Tracey can show you how, the guy built a Ducati from the ground up for you just a couple months ago! I doubt that there's anyone short of Gas Man or Eric more qualified to teach someone how to work on bikes. That's guy's a mechanical genius almost. I'm sure that you'll be fine! besides, even I could put a Blast back together, they are a very simple bike from what I've seen. Actually, that sounds like a perfect bike to learn on imho, I'm sure you and Tracey will have it back together in no time!!!:rockwoot:

Thing has what? Five moving parts? Oughtta be easy.

I'm dying to jump into my own ground up vtwin build. Just as soon as I've got the cash for a new frame and tank

skiergirl 07-08-2010 01:24 PM

I can do the basics but frankly I do not enjoy it at all. I'd much prefer to just pay someone else to do it and just have it ready to ride when I want.

Tye can do much more than I can and has taught me a lot, I try to do some and just have him help me but he'd usually rather just do it for me than try to show me how..:) he has about as much patience as I do..

Rangerscott 07-08-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiergirl (Post 391360)
I can do the basics but frankly I do not enjoy it at all. I'd much prefer to just pay someone else to do it and just have it ready to ride when I want.

Tye can do much more than I can and has taught me a lot, I try to do some and just have him help me but he'd usually rather just do it for me than try to show me how..:) he has about as much patience as I do..

Laziness wins again.

I had to pop the head off my vehicle's engine to replace the gasket. I didn't get done till 4am and it was cold enough to snow. That was finding the parts, pulling everything attached to the head, pulling the head, scraping all the gasket material off, cleaning the radiator out, flushing the engine, replacing the gasket, torquing the head, setting valve clearances, attaching everything back to the head, putting back on the cooling system, filling the coolant system with water so cold it made my Willy an inny, then flushing the coolant system several more times. Running the engine to make sure nothing is leaking. Letting it cool back down, running it again. Flush the coolant system of all garden hose water. Fill back up with 50/50. Running engine again to burp the system. Pick up the winters that feel off from the cold 2 hours ago. Go inside and pass out for 3 hours and then head to work. Done. I'm awesome. Hear me roar. This isn't even the most mechanical thing I've done. I'm so much better than you......cause I'm a man. Don't get mad. It's your nature to not want to do anything for yourself.

Any ways. I find it fun to work on stuff, but it sure can get frustrating to do sometimes. I rebuilt the front end on my 4x4 axle and it is such a time consuming and messy messy job. I'd rather rebuild another engine and not have to right tools than to do it again. My wheels are still on so that's good.

P.S. I'd love to work on your bike for you Skiergirl. :wink:

skiergirl 07-08-2010 10:46 PM

If I could have my way id be like a professional racer, show up my people would already have my bike serviced, running and ready to go so I could just hop on and ride. When I'm done id ride up hand it to the pit crew and walk away until time to ride again :)

that's my dream for when I'm rich anyway haha. I really don't have the patience or inclination to do anything more than is required to keep it maintained and running so Rangerscott feel fre to come by anytime and work on it for me. I hate doing that shit.

Rangerscott 07-08-2010 11:03 PM

Brownie points for me. Of course it's more fun when you're doing something to make your bike/vehicle better. Maintenance or fixing can bring the suck.

Gas Man 07-08-2010 11:53 PM

For me. Here's the thing. Doing maintance is fine. Modding a bike is cool. But having to work on it cause its broke and won't work is m'f'in suck my ballz.

azoomm 07-09-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 391527)
For me. Here's the thing. Doing maintance is fine. Modding a bike is cool. But having to work on it cause its broke and won't work is m'f'in suck my ballz.

Quoted for absolute truth.

I don't mind working on motors [car, bike, truck, scooter, lawnmower, blah blah]. I hate HAVING to work on motors :lol: It's the pain-in-the-ass-factor. If the PITAF is too high, I'll just pay someone.

Gas Man 07-09-2010 12:11 AM

Yep. Tt all also incudes HAVING to work on car/bike to get to work, miss a cool ride, miss the only good day all week, or spend money fixing failures tt u cud hv spent on cooler stuff.

All of which. Why I now own a hd instead of chopper.

marko138 07-09-2010 07:53 AM

I hate working on anything. Bikes, cars, house. I only do it b/c shop labor is expensive, but I'd much rather pay someone to do it.

Gas Man 07-09-2010 10:41 AM

So basically you're a cheap ass?

marko138 07-09-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 391612)
So basically you're a cheap ass?

No, if I had the money I'd pay.

Gas Man 07-09-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 391619)
No, if I had the money I'd pay.

Isn't that how it always is for most of us!!!

z06boy 07-09-2010 11:38 AM

Just bought 8 NGK CR9EK plugs for the bikes...$47 shipped to the house...guess that's about as good as I was going to find.

Now looking for a decent deal on two air filters.

I do all of the maintenance on the vehicles...3 cars...two bikes and a boat and the wife handles mucho other stuff around the house.

I did show her how to clean and lube the chain on her bike a while back. :lol:

gavilan 07-09-2010 04:03 PM

I have the carb block of a 93 Nighthawk that I pulled off a couple of months ago because I was going to tear it apart, clean the carbs and rebuild the thing...

Darn block was sitting in my office for a few weeks, traveling in my car everywhere with me for a couple more, went back to the office (we have a lab with a bunch of tools I thought I could use), back to the car and now it's been sitting in my garage at home for... a while.

I SO have to get to it but what originally discouraged me was that I stripped a couple of screws, ran to get a tapping set and got out most of them, but two screws ended up with pieces of taps in them, still pretty much attached to the block -thankyouverymuch. :doh:

I know it's not going to be a big deal once I finally sit down and do it but it's just gotten to the point where I am just *dreading* it. :cry:

This weekend... I am sure... well... we'll see... lol

Of course, after I am done with that, the question will be whether after all this time I actually remember how to put them back and attach everything else, but I guess I'll solve that issue when I get to it :scared:
(I did take some pictures of some things that I took apart and thought 'uh-oh, looks complicated...' :lol: )

Ah... the joy of working on an old(er) bike... :p

racedoll 07-09-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 391631)
Just bought 8 NGK CR9EK plugs for the bikes...$47 shipped to the house...guess that's about as good as I was going to find.

I think I have 4 of those brand new in a drawer in the garage that I can't use.

Rangerscott 07-09-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 391708)
I think I have 4 of those brand new in a drawer in the garage that I can't use.

Copper or Iridium tip?

racedoll 07-09-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 391731)
Copper or Iridium tip?

They are just the standard tip. - http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...=1690&type=reg

And I'll change my avatar since you seem to be offended. :lol:

Amber Lamps 07-09-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 391743)
They are just the standard tip.

And I'll change my avatar since you seem to be offended. :lol:

More like jealous!!!:lol: BA-ZING!!!

Rangerscott 07-09-2010 09:58 PM

Hey hey. Rules are rules. No Cooter flashing allowed.

So just the tip huh. Sounds like a fun game.