Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Drinking the Amsoil Kool Aid (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21053)

jtemple 03-06-2012 10:24 AM

Drinking the Amsoil Kool Aid

I have been using Rotella T6 synthetic in every 4-stroke engine I own, from cars, to lawn mowers and motorcycles for a good long time with good results.

I have always been skeptical of claims that certain oil brands were somehow superior to others and operated under the rule that if you keep fresh oil in things, in the grand scheme of things, what brand you use doesn't matter much.

My Husky is notorious for a difficult to find neutral. Shifting has always been good. Not "buttery smooth" or anything like that, but I had nothing to complain about in the shifting department.

The reason neutral was difficult is because of the resistance you encounter while shifting gears. Once you overcome the resistance between 1st and 2nd, you jump right into the next gear. The only way I could reliably get into neutral was shifting the lever with my hand.

I have heard stories of Amsoil giving a smoother shifting tranny in bikes, so I hit up GasMan for a gallon.

I changed my oil over the weekend and played with the shifting & clutch action in the garage and noticed much smoother shifting and an easier to find neutral.

Today, I rode to work. Shifting gears has never been smoother and I can get right into neutral without any fuss.

The Rotella that was in my bike had about 300-350 miles on it. So I'm comparing fresh oil with fresh oil here.

I have enough Amsoil on hand for one more oil change. I'll make my official decision once I put some miles on this oil. But, right now, this might make an Amsoil user out of me.

marko138 03-06-2012 11:32 AM

I've been using it in my Buell for years. It's great stuff.

Dave 03-06-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 507511)
I've been using it in my Buell for years. It's great stuff.

or about one year of normal riding :lol

azoomm 03-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 507514)

or, six months...

marko138 03-06-2012 04:51 PM

Why do I post on this forum?

pauldun170 03-06-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 507514)

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 507520)
or, six months...

:lol

Captain Morgan 03-06-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 507524)
Why do I post on this forum?

For the same reason I did when I didn't have a bike...the company. The only difference is that you have a bike. And when I didn't have a bike, I still probably rode a Buell more than you because I borrowed my brother's. :lol:

Mr Lefty 03-06-2012 05:44 PM

I use it too... In both the DRZ and now the Dakar. good shit

Oh yeah and the Pickup. :lol:

Cutty72 03-06-2012 06:18 PM

I have it in everything. Didn't notice any major changes in the cages, but huge improvements in the bikes!

Amber Lamps 03-06-2012 06:26 PM

yep me too.... *knocking on wood* I've never had an engine problem of any kind since switching to Amsoil. Real talk!:lol: Although I do admit that when I'm in a bind, I'll also use Mobile 1 bike oil.

Captain Morgan 03-06-2012 10:35 PM

Hmm, maybe I'll hit up GM when it's time to change my oil.

Gas Man 03-07-2012 02:52 AM

I'm sorry Marko... you're a great buddy of mine.. but I almost fell out of my chair reading that... :lmao:

I'm glad it is working well for you Jesse. Much like Cutty said... I have seen good improvements on the cycles but not as much in the cars. I will say that when I did change the oil the last time... drained used Amsoil out, new in... I did get a rise of about 3mpg in the wife's car. So that is something... but just from freshing up the oil.

Your nuetral issue sounds exactly the same way it is in all my HDs and I believe the same as the Buells (duh right).

I hope the purchase was easy for ya. It could be easier by just clicking the link in my sig but then you'd pay more per unit and I'm trying to help you save $$. Let me know what else I can help you with.

RACER X 03-07-2012 07:41 AM

well i've gone from Agip 15w-50 to M1 20w-50, now w/ only 1 day commute on it, the bike had a harder time starting and the shifting has gotten worse.

i'll give it some more time, but i may be trying amsoil, as AGIP is hard to come by

gas can you PM me a price for 4 qt to 77407

20w-50 m/c oil

marko138 03-07-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 507527)
For the same reason I did when I didn't have a bike...the company. The only difference is that you have a bike. And when I didn't have a bike, I still probably rode a Buell more than you because I borrowed my brother's. :lol:

No, certainly not the company. I really don't like any of you.

tommymac 03-07-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 507556)

Youre still upset I drank all your beer.

jtemple 03-07-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 507541)
I'm sorry Marko... you're a great buddy of mine.. but I almost fell out of my chair reading that... :lmao:

I'm glad it is working well for you Jesse. Much like Cutty said... I have seen good improvements on the cycles but not as much in the cars. I will say that when I did change the oil the last time... drained used Amsoil out, new in... I did get a rise of about 3mpg in the wife's car. So that is something... but just from freshing up the oil.

Your nuetral issue sounds exactly the same way it is in all my HDs and I believe the same as the Buells (duh right).

I hope the purchase was easy for ya. It could be easier by just clicking the link in my sig but then you'd pay more per unit and I'm trying to help you save $$. Let me know what else I can help you with.

The purchase was painless and the shipping was ridiculously fast. It came from Kansas City, only about 400 miles away from where I live.

Once I go through this gallon, I'll make the official decision and probably just become a preferred customer through you, so I can just place my own discounted orders.

Thanks again!

Homeslice 03-07-2012 07:00 PM

The only reason one oil shifts better than another oil is because it has a different additive package with different friction qualities.......Not because it's a better oil.

Also, did it affect your clutch? If it helps you shift better, then it seems like it might have more friction modifiers, which might be bad for the clutch.

All I'm saying is that different oils meet different objectives, but that doesn't make them better or higher quality.

In your case, switching to Amsoil was a success, since it acheived a specific objective you had. But the typical Amsoil buyer who only buys it because his friend says it's great is wasting his money unless it's actually solving a specific problem, like it did with you.

jtemple 03-08-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 507593)
The only reason one oil shifts better than another oil is because it has a different additive package with different friction qualities.......Not because it's a better oil.

Also, did it affect your clutch? If it helps you shift better, then it seems like it might have more friction modifiers, which might be bad for the clutch.

All I'm saying is that different oils meet different objectives, but that doesn't make them better or higher quality.

In your case, switching to Amsoil was a success, since it acheived a specific objective you had. But the typical Amsoil buyer who only buys it because his friend says it's great is wasting his money unless it's actually solving a specific problem, like it did with you.

It's Amsoil's motorcycle specific oil, good for wet clutches. Clutch action seems to be the same as before.

The reason Rotella T6 works well in bikes is because of the lack of friction modifiers. Some auto synthetics will make your clutch slip.

tommymac 03-08-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 507620)
It's Amsoil's motorcycle specific oil, good for wet clutches. Clutch action seems to be the same as before.

The reason Rotella T6 works well in bikes is because of the lack of friction modifiers. Some auto synthetics will make your clutch slip.

With the rotella the shifting doesnt seem AS smooth but it doesnt seem to bother me much. I will also be putting it in the buell so i will see how it shifts in there.

Homeslice 03-08-2012 11:56 AM

I use Rotella regular petro for my car, since 90% of my driving is warm-weather highway driving, so I don't need the extra protection of a synthetic. But if I were living in the Midwest, or just did city driving, yeah I'd switch to the synthetic.

As for my bike, I figure the synthetic is better for high RPM's, especially since it's 5W-40 instead of 15-40 like the regular Rotella

Cutty72 03-08-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 507561)
The purchase was painless and the shipping was ridiculously fast. It came from Kansas City, only about 400 miles away from where I live.

Once I go through this gallon, I'll make the official decision and probably just become a preferred customer through you, so I can just place my own discounted orders.

Thanks again!

This is generally the cheapest, if you are not local to a "friendly" dealer and aren't purchasing great quatities.

Since I got my dealership, I've found that shipping less than a case of anything the shipping cancels out the savings I could give them.

tommymac 03-08-2012 01:53 PM

Considering the distance to ship for me I wiould def order in bulk, plus with 3 bikes it will def get used

Cutty72 03-08-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 507644)
Considering the distance to ship for me I wiould def order in bulk, plus with 3 bikes it will def get used

That works then, either Gas or I can order and have it shipped directly to your address, so no additional shipping charges.

It's when a guy just wants a couple quarts that it gets spendy.

tommymac 03-08-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 507646)
That works then, either Gas or I can order and have it shipped directly to your address, so no additional shipping charges.

I hear ya, I always try to order in bulk, plus its not like it will go bad any time soon. Couple of local shops sell it but at a rather jacked up price, but thats par for the course in this area.

Cutty72 03-08-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 507650)
I hear ya, I always try to order in bulk, plus its not like it will go bad any time soon. Couple of local shops sell it but at a rather jacked up price, but thats par for the course in this area.

Yeah, for the people I sell to that I "mark up" the price, my final price is still below listed price at the stores BEFORE tax.

Porkchop 03-08-2012 05:12 PM

I have been jonesin' to switch to Amsoil products. My mom has a higher mileage Nissan Altima that I have heard from a ton of altima forums that Amsoil 0w30 is the way to go....

I have never had to change the oil on the 500, and I probably wont before I go to sell her. For an old engine, she is very easy on oil.... Might go the Amsoil way on my next bike though, because I hated how Repsol made my R6 sound mechanically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 507556)

Dont lie.... you know you love us.... :wink:

Gas Man 03-08-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 507553)
well i've gone from Agip 15w-50 to M1 20w-50, now w/ only 1 day commute on it, the bike had a harder time starting and the shifting has gotten worse.

i'll give it some more time, but i may be trying amsoil, as AGIP is hard to come by

gas can you PM me a price for 4 qt to 77407

20w-50 m/c oil

$37 for product + ship & tax = $50.62 total

As said below shipping sucks on smaller orders... I usually always order by the case my self.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 507561)

Thanks again!

Cool, just let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 507642)
This is generally the cheapest, if you are not local to a "friendly" dealer and aren't purchasing great quatities.

Since I got my dealership, I've found that shipping less than a case of anything the shipping cancels out the savings I could give them.

Yeah but they do base everything on weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 507644)
Considering the distance to ship for me I would def order in bulk, plus with 3 bikes it will def get used

Yeah I order by the case... I have 2 bikes but lots of others going through my lift all the time and most of them run Amsoil (by their choice and nothing to do with my opinion).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 507646)

Yes Cutty has a dealer membership behind me as well. And he's right, it's always best to ship straight to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 507665)
I have been jonesin' to switch to Amsoil products. My mom has a higher mileage Nissan Altima that I have heard from a ton of altima forums that Amsoil 0w30 is the way to go....

I have never had to change the oil on the 500, and I probably wont before I go to sell her. For an old engine, she is very easy on oil.... Might go the Amsoil way on my next bike though, because I hated how Repsol made my R6 sound mechanically.

Well let me know and I can price out whatever you want. My store front link is in my signature but I can get you discounted rates if you just email or pm me.

Trip 03-09-2012 10:08 AM

Castrol and Rotella for me thanks...

derf 03-09-2012 12:02 PM

Ive been using repsol for a while with gold results, I went out on a limb and used mobil 1 recently because I couldn't find enough repsol for the bikes in my area, sp day I really have not noticed a difference.

But I did see a difference when I started using repsol exclusively a while back, switching from the generic oil that the store always sold me

Porkchop 03-10-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 507742)
Ive been using repsol for a while with gold results, I went out on a limb and used mobil 1 recently because I couldn't find enough repsol for the bikes in my area, sp day I really have not noticed a difference.

But I did see a difference when I started using repsol exclusively a while back, switching from the generic oil that the store always sold me

I didn't see any performance difference switching from Yamalube dino to Repsol synthetic in the R6. Just louder mechanical movement.

HokieDNA01 03-11-2012 01:32 AM

Nice to see so many other people are using Rotella in there cars and bikes. I have been using it in my car for years and every time I take the used oils to a shop or disposal they smell it while pouring and get on my case that it is"diesel" oil and point out my car isn't a diesel....thanks. I'm not an idiot. The shit works just fine in gas cars.

I do have issues finding neutral on my bike. Wonder if switching oil would help. I currently use Mobil 1.

Homeslice 03-11-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 507823)
The shit works just fine in gas cars.

not to mention that it cleans better than most

jtemple 03-11-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Nice to see so many other people are using Rotella in there cars and bikes. I have been using it in my car for years and every time I take the used oils to a shop or disposal they smell it while pouring and get on my case that it is"diesel" oil and point out my car isn't a diesel....thanks. I'm not an idiot. The shit works just fine in gas cars.

I do have issues finding neutral on my bike. Wonder if switching oil would help. I currently use Mobil 1.

I always get the "what kinda truck you got?" questions when I buy Rotella. When I tell them what I'm using it for, they look at me like I just grew a 3rd arm.

Rangerscott 03-14-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 507830)
I always get the "what kinda truck you got?" questions when I buy Rotella. When I tell them what I'm using it for, they look at me like I just grew a 3rd arm.

I'd had a third arm my whole life.

Been using Rotella T6 in the bikes for a few years now with no problems and R T5 in the vehicle. Plan in using it for many more years.

Amber Lamps 03-15-2012 02:21 AM

Oh BTW someone mentioned Mobile 1 which I just put in my bike... Why? You might ask well since it was under$20 OTD with a filter..... I don't know if my particular store manager is nuts or screwed up but he gave me the MC synthetic oil and a filter.....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/

TYEster 03-15-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

This.

I run Mobil 1 or Motul, whichever CycleGear has for $1 cheaper that week. The KX is getting broken in and finding neutral is a pain in the pits.

Do we need to put a specific code or anything in for Gasman to get the sale or are all sales off that site specific to him?

Gas Man 03-15-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 508220)
This.

I run Mobil 1 or Motul, whichever CycleGear has for $1 cheaper that week. The KX is getting broken in and finding neutral is a pain in the pits.

Do we need to put a specific code or anything in for Gasman to get the sale or are all sales off that site specific to him?

Well you can either use the link in my sig and pay retail price. Or PM me what you want along with your info & payment info. I can quote you and process the order for a discount.

Sixxxxer 03-15-2012 09:53 PM

Gas Man Hooks it Up...Def worth the PM!!!

I'll soon be drinking the same Kool Aid.

Gas Man 03-15-2012 10:10 PM

Yep. Let me know when you get the oil. So I know all is ok.

Sixxxxer 03-15-2012 10:18 PM

Thanks Man I def will.

derf 03-15-2012 11:32 PM

I just looked at the Amsoil website. Really who needs a 275 gal tote of oil? If you were wondering what a tote of oil is:

http://www.arizonabarrels.com/images...ote_large3.jpg

Sixxxxer 03-16-2012 12:33 AM

A Dealer or shop??

Trip 03-16-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508309)
I just looked at the Amsoil website. Really who needs a 275 gal tote of oil? If you were wondering what a tote of oil is:

harley owners....lolz

had to GM

derf 03-16-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508311)
A Dealer or shop??

The dealerships that I have worked with or known all use either qt bottles or 5 gallon tubs. I dunno, maybe a truck repair shop or a factory?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508330)
harley owners....lolz

had to GM

Hehehehehe, point taken, message recieve, confirmation given

Trip 03-16-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508332)
The dealerships that I have worked with or known all use either qt bottles or 5 gallon tubs. I dunno, maybe a truck repair shop or a factory?

I could see someone (factory/plant) with large motors needing it, actual motors, not engines. We had huge tubs of oil for the nuke plant motors.

jtemple 03-16-2012 08:40 AM

I wonder if I can get 5 gallon cans with a manual pump that has a meter on it. No more measuring oil!

Cutty72 03-16-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Anyone that has a large useage of oil.
Larger the bulk size, larger the discount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 508208)
Oh BTW someone mentioned Mobile 1 which I just put in my bike... Why? You might ask well since it was under$20 OTD with a filter..... I don't know if my particular store manager is nuts or screwed up but he gave me the MC synthetic oil and a filter.....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/

Yeah... filter alone for the Buell is $20 retail...

Cutty72 03-16-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508334)
I wonder if I can get 5 gallon cans with a manual pump that has a meter on it. No more measuring oil!

Quart, gallon, or 30 gallon, 55 gallon, or 275 gallon tote are the options for oil... sorry.

jtemple 03-16-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508357)
Quart, gallon, or 30 gallon, 55 gallon, or 275 gallon tote are the options for oil... sorry.

Hmm, 30 gallons might be a little excessive. :)

tommymac 03-16-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508365)
Hmm, 30 gallons might be a little excessive. :)

With multiple bikes it should last you afew seasons, or get a friend or 2 to go in on it.

RedRider2k2 03-20-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

We use one about that size to store bulk coolant. Our oil tank is either 2000 or 2500 Gallons.

RACER X 03-22-2012 09:30 AM

well if all my veh. used the same weight oil..........i have 4 veh. i could go thru alot of oil.

Gas Man 03-22-2012 10:38 AM

Yeah isn't that always the bitch of it all.

Cutty72 03-22-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 508815)
well if all my veh. used the same weight oil..........i have 4 veh. i could go thru alot of oil.

Yup, 2 cars, a pickup, and 2 bikes = 5 different weight oils on hand...

Plus the 0W-30 for the snowblower and 2 stroke for sleds!

RedRider2k2 03-22-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 508815)

They would probably all do fine with a good Diesel oil.