Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Manufacturer War (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Suzuki GSXR1000RR!!! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10009)

Amber Lamps 08-17-2009 09:48 PM

Suzuki GSXR1000RR!!!

has everyone but me seen this already?:drool:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...XR1000RR13.jpg

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...00rr/7565.html

YOSHIMURA RACE SHOP USA has unveiled a new limited-edition Suzuki GSX-R1000, based on everything the company's learned by competing in the AMA Superbike series.

Dubbed the GSX-R1000RR, the new machine features a plethora of Yoshimura's race bits, including: high-lift cams, a quick shifter, numerous suspension upgrades and a full titanium-carbon exhaust, to name just a few.

Last week Visordown broke the news to UK bikers about Buell's new controversial 1125RR racer, which has been entered in the AMA Superbike series, despite the fact that it's not on sale to the general public. Former AMA Superbike Champion Mat Mladin spoke out vehemently against the AMA's decision to let Buell's turnkey racer compete in the series, as the machine's not on sale to the general public.

No doubt many AMA licence holders will now be beating a path to their nearest Yoshimura dealers; Suzuki fans will be please to know the Suzuki GSX-R1000RR, unlike the Buell, should be street-legal and available to the public.
Suzuki have yet to announce details on price or availability.

Features:
Engine:
YRS ST-R Type R Cams (High Lift Longer Duration Cam Shafts)
YRS Hi Compression Head Gasket (Raised Compression to 13.8:1)
BMC Race Air Filter
Yoshimura EM Pro w/ Quick Shifter and harness
Yoshimura R77 Titanium / Carbon Fiber Full System

Suspension/Chassis:
YRS Swing Arm Pivot Insert (+2mm)
YRS Rear Suspension Linkage (159MM)
YRS Extended Fork Cap Kit (gives additional 25MM of front ride height adjustment)
YRS Showa "KIT" Rear Shock with YRS Race Spec Valving
YRS Race Spec Fork Valving

Brakes: Galfer Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Front
Galfer Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Rear
Galfer 1375 Front Brake Pads

Tmall 08-17-2009 09:54 PM

I did see it. But! I'm happy they're doing it.

If one team can bend the rules, they all can.

Dave 08-17-2009 10:03 PM

badass!

Trip 08-17-2009 10:58 PM

I like suzuki more now, fuck you DMG.

Riceaholic 08-17-2009 10:58 PM

I'd hit it...

Amber Lamps 08-17-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 255307)
I did see it. But! I'm happy they're doing it.

Quite frankly Suzuki may be the only manufacturer that hasn't pulled this type of shenanigans in the past...:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceaholic (Post 255329)
I'd hit it...

It is definitely creamy, isn't it?

Mrs. Colleen 08-17-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 255307)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 255328)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255335)
Quite frankly Suzuki may be the only manufacturer that hasn't pulled this type of shenanigans in the past...:lol:

Explain? What rules are they bending?

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 255357)
Explain? What rules are they bending?

the rules state and have always stated that any bike raced in the super Bike class must be available for sale to the general public as a street bike in certain numbers (if I'm not mistaken).

Buell is campaigning a bike that is not available for sale to the general public and that is not street legal in the form that it is being raced.

In the past Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki (I believe) have produced "Homogenization specials'' that are only manufactured and sold in street form so they can be raced. In fact, technically since this bike isn't being manufactured by Suzuki, they are still clean in my book.:rockwoot:

Dave 08-18-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255359)
the rules state and have always stated that any bike raced in the super Bike class must be available for sale to the general public as a street bike in certain numbers (if I'm not mistaken).

Buell is campaigning a bike that is not available for sale to the general public and that is not street legal in the form that it is being raced.

In the past Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki (I believe) have produced "Homogenization specials'' that are only manufactured and sold in street form so they can be raced. In fact, technically since this bike isn't being manufactured by Suzuki, they are still clean in my book.:rockwoot:

troof! i distinctly recall a zx7rr having existed.

derf 08-18-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255359)

I thought homoligation just means that they make a certain number of them, doesn't really mean that they need to sell it to the public, and that as long as they build and offer for sale (even to race teams) the correct number of special bikes they can race them, even if they only sell them to teams.

Doesn't really help my train of thought but the zx6rr was a homoliganization special sold along side the 636.

Homeslice 08-18-2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 255376)

Doesn't really help my train of thought but the zx6rr was a homoliganization special sold along side the 636.

the zx7rr was, but not the zx6rr............The latter was sold in a lot more quantities than the former, so I wouldn't really call it a homologation special IMO. That would be like calling the R6 or gixxer-6 a homologation special just because they raced. True, the 636 sold more than the zx6rr, but the only reason they made the 636 was to give street riders another choice.

derf 08-18-2009 01:49 AM

I thought it was the other way around, they designed the 6rr as the race homoligization special then bumped displacement and engineered the 636 for more power vs other true 600's. There was nothing special about it, kawi just had to sell a true 600 (599cc) bike to be able to compete

dReWpY 08-18-2009 02:51 AM

636 was a special bike

karl_1052 08-18-2009 08:21 AM

All that money, and the tires are bald.
:wtfru:

Rider 08-18-2009 09:01 AM

That is extremely bad ass. :dribble:

smileyman 08-18-2009 09:32 AM

Fellas slow down. First a 'homologation' is just a fancy way of saying it has been produced and is available in sufficient numbers for racer/public purchase. 2. The DMG AMA rulebook says the bike must be EPA&DOT approved for sale and use in the USA and be available in sufficient numbers for public consumption. The 1125R isnt and hence the scandal. Now we have a GSxR that is similarly equipped.

pauldun170 08-18-2009 09:35 AM

I tried skimming this thread but now I'm confused.

It's a nice GSXr but the problem is if you buy it Gixxer riders might approach you and try and egnage in "conversation".

I can only take so many "yo's" and "shit" in a conversation before I get a headache.

You think it's possible to put Kawi or Honda bodywork on it?
that would be cool

smileyman 08-18-2009 09:46 AM

Basically the GSxRs dominating Superbike are lightly prepped superstock machines.Now using DMGs formula for 'homologation, Yosh can cook some real magic and make it available for a price to the public and really spank the competition good, meanwhile if joe blow wants a turn key kick ass superbike he can buy one instead of spending hours in the garage bolting on goodies...

Dave 08-18-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 255432)
Basically the GSxRs dominating Superbike are lightly prepped superstock machines.Now using DMGs formula for 'homologation, Yosh can cook some real magic and make it available for a price to the public and really spank the competition good, meanwhile if joe blow wants a turn key kick ass superbike he can buy one instead of spending hours in the garage bolting on goodies...

exactly! i dont know about you but the prospect of a cammed litre with a warranty is pretty damned tempting. id guess its gotta be somewhere in the 170-180 range at the wheel :whatwhat:

Rider 08-18-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 255437)
exactly! i dont know about you but the prospect of a cammed litre with a warranty is pretty damned tempting. id guess its gotta be somewhere in the 170-180 range at the wheel :whatwhat:

WSBK bikes are pushing over 200rwhp.

smileyman 08-18-2009 10:55 AM

True dat, only you cant buy a Ten Kate over the counter! I was thinking back to 'homologation' specials past and came up with ZX7RR, YZFR7, RC30-45-51, OWO1, ZX6RR, But nothing Suzuki. What am I missing? Did H-D sell any streetable VR1000s?

karl_1052 08-18-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 255458)
True dat, only you cant buy a Ten Kate over the counter! I was thinking back to 'homologation' specials past and came up with ZX7RR, YZFR7, RC30-45-51, OWO1, ZX6RR, But nothing Suzuki. What am I missing? Did H-D sell any streetable VR1000s?

1986 GSXR750 ltd
1989 GSXR750RR
1994 GSXR750R

There have been a couple from Suzuki.

Homeslice 08-18-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 255437)

Course you could just buy the new BMW with the same amount of power for the same price or less...

pauldun170 08-18-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 255484)
Course you could just buy the new BMW with the same amount of power for the same price or less...

Any thorough reviews on it out yet?

Rider 08-18-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 255488)
Any thorough reviews on it out yet?

Yeah it's a damn sexy looking bike....... in race trim. Street trim is looks like a lazy eyed down syndrome child.

Dave 08-18-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 255441)

without knowing any cam specifics i chose to be conservative in my estimate. With those parts i wouldnt be at all surprised to see 200. hey smileyman, im pretty sure they did. Seen one with lights on ebay a while back in the six figure range

Dave 08-18-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 255484)

its all bullshit till they start hitting third party dynos. Yammy still claims 180 for the new r1 which is hilariously optimistic

shmike 08-18-2009 01:09 PM

Why all the Buell talk?

Suzuki isn't selling this bike, Yosh is.

There was an R1 similar to this a few years back but I can't for the life of me remember the builder. Anyone have any idea of what I am talking about? :scratch:

Rider 08-18-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 255500)
Why all the Buell talk?

There was an R1 similar to this a few years back but I can't for the life of me remember the builder. Anyone have any idea of what I am talking about? :scratch:

Was it Graves by chance? I'm just guessing, I don't know for sure.

shmike 08-18-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 255505)
Was it Graves by chance? I'm just guessing, I don't know for sure.

No, that was my first thought too.

IIRC, it was a company that was a guy's name (like Roland Sands but not).

Apparently he is big in the R1 world and is a well known racer but I hadn't heard of him before his special $30k R1 came out.

It's driving me nuts.

Tmall 08-18-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Why all the Buell talk?

Yamaha made the LE with Ohlins suspension a few years back. That one was 30k I think..\ It was direct from factory. The shop just down the street had one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 255506)

Apparently he is big in the R1 world and is a well known racer but I hadn't heard of him before his special $30k R1 came out.

It's driving me nuts.

thought about it again.. I think there was a Jamie James edition at one point..

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 255441)

Yea but I believe that involves piston and crank work as well.

shmike 08-18-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 255512)
thought about it again.. I think there was a Jamie James edition at one point..

You, sir, are a GOD!

That was it.

Thank you!!! :bowtome:

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Why all the Buell talk?

Oh shit! Fuck, it's a guy that used to race... it's hovering over my head but I can't grasp it!!!! Grrrr! They did an article in Sport Rider about it...:panic:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 255523)
You, sir, are a GOD!

That was it.

Thank you!!! :bowtome:

Damn yep!!!:rockwoot:

shmike 08-18-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255526)
Oh shit! Fuck, it's a guy that used to race... it's hovering over my head but I can't grasp it!!!! Grrrr! They did an article in Sport Rider about it...:panic:

Good memory.

Spotty, but good.

The sport rider article:
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_..._r1/index.html

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 02:09 PM

FWIW I personally don't count Yoshimura, Ten Kate, Jamie James or other builder's bikes as "cheater" bikes...:idk: I'm only referring to bikes sold by the factories in limited quantities for the sole purpose of being able to race them. Also I don't include bikes that have a different model designation IF a "normal" version of the same bike isn't also sold the same year, which should redeem some or all of the Suzukis.:wink::lol: Oh and I definitely don't count bikes like the Mat Mlladin GSXR1000, Telefonica Moviestar GSXR600, Fiat R6 or Smokin' Joe's CBR600...:lol:

karl_1052 08-18-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Why all the Buell talk?

It was Jamie James from Louisiana.

AMA superbike champ in 1989 aboard a GSXR750

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 255546)
It was Jamie James from Louisiana.

AMA superbike champ in 1989 aboard a GSXR750

You sir are a Demi-God... and also late! Don't worry I also answer posts without reading the entire thread...:lol:

smileyman 08-18-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 255506)

It's driving me nuts.

Jaie James...

smileyman 08-18-2009 02:46 PM

Damn phone surfing and didnt see this page. The Ragin Cajun specials were for public consumption and not meant to be base package race bikes. I mean in the old days even the factory race specials did not have all the goodies that the actual factory teams had to install and use. The were race bikes with lights so the factories could take advantage of a loophole in the rules. DMG has made the loophole the rule and I hope we see an American Honda 'special' and a Kawaski 'special' to compete. Even with the elevated pricetag there would be an increase in grid sizes and Pegrams 1198R wouldnt be the only rich boy bike in the field...

Phenix_Rider 08-18-2009 03:41 PM

Nothing new in what they're doing. I do find it amazing that there doesn't appear to be a displacement limit in the rules AT ALL. Just a few lines about minimum weight.

365 lbs for an I4
375 lbs for a triple
385 lbs for a twin

So if Suzuki wanted to do something really wicked, they could bring out a new TLR with 1300cc or something and tear up everyone. Just have to sell a few units to the public. I didn't see any rules about quantity either. (looking at Daytona Sportbike rules)

smileyman 08-18-2009 03:50 PM

Well the rules werent set in stone until almost February of this year and no one had time to plan, prep, or anything. In fact the Yosh Suzuki squad ran their 08 bikes until May as DMG claimed there were not enough examples of the 09 stateside to be purcahsed...Even though they were DOT & EPA approved, unlike the 1125RR which hasnt received approval to be sold as assembled but was allowed because it was based on the 1125 R that is...

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 255556)
Damn phone surfing and didnt see this page. The Ragin Cajun specials were for public consumption and not meant to be base package race bikes. I mean in the old days even the factory race specials did not have all the goodies that the actual factory teams had to install and use. The were race bikes with lights so the factories could take advantage of a loophole in the rules. DMG has made the loophole the rule and I hope we see an American Honda 'special' and a Kawaski 'special' to compete. Even with the elevated pricetag there would be an increase in grid sizes and Pegrams 1198R wouldnt be the only rich boy bike in the field...

Oh don't get me started on Pegram! If I were Ducati he wouldn't have a job! I mean they gave him a what? $100,000 WSBK bike to race with and he still has only managed a few wins.

smileyman 08-18-2009 04:04 PM

Tigger! No one said he had talent! OK so he is faster than I but not by much. Such is the talent base of todays series.

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 255588)
Tigger! No one said he had talent! OK so he is faster than I but not by much. Such is the talent base of todays series.

Isn't that the truth?!? :lol: Did you hear him slamming on Mlladin and saying that "he has lost what little respect he had for him"... What a piece of work! Pegram has raced for over 20 years and has won 3 SBK races. Mlladin has raced in the U.S.for 14 years and has won 7 SBK CHAMPIONSHIPS... Yea why would you have any respect for that?:idk:

smileyman 08-18-2009 04:54 PM

Talk about talkin out your ass. Mladin could bitch slap his ass if he was any way credible but everyone knows he is anever was...

Dave 08-18-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider (Post 255571)
Nothing new in what they're doing. I do find it amazing that there doesn't appear to be a displacement limit in the rules AT ALL. Just a few lines about minimum weight.

365 lbs for an I4
375 lbs for a triple
385 lbs for a twin

So if Suzuki wanted to do something really wicked, they could bring out a new TLR with 1300cc or something and tear up everyone. Just have to sell a few units to the public. I didn't see any rules about quantity either. (looking at Daytona Sportbike rules)

that balance makes no sense to me

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 255655)
that balance makes no sense to me

what PR missed is the horse power limit, I don't feel like looking it up but it goes the opposite direction...

I4-120 hp (for example)

Triple-140 hp

V2-160 hp

Something like that, it's supposed to be a certain hp/lb ratio but it's like they forgot about torque altogether...:idk:

Dave 08-18-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255696)
what PR missed is the horse power limit, I don't feel like looking it up but it goes the opposite direction...

I4-120 hp (for example)

Triple-140 hp

V2-160 hp

Something like that, it's supposed to be a certain hp/lb ratio but it's like they forgot about torque altogether...:idk:

ahh thats better. made zero sense the other way around :lol:

smileyman 08-18-2009 10:05 PM

Eslicks bike could take 6-8 bike lengths on the I4s at Topeka, And he was passing 3-4 bikes a lap after Q'fying 12th at VIR. Think it is safe to say the performance table is lopsided. And DMG wont publish their dyno results for either class?

Amber Lamps 08-18-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 255713)
Eslicks bike could take 6-8 bike lengths on the I4s at Topeka, And he was passing 3-4 bikes a lap after Q'fying 12th at VIR. Think it is safe to say the performance table is lopsided. And DMG wont publish their dyno results for either class?

Nope, which I find kinda dirty by itself! I mean, in a way, I agree that this class has produced some crazy, tight races but at what cost? The I4 guys are almost literally killing themselves to try and keep up on the faster, more flowing tracks. That dumb ass Cardenas could have had this championship wrapped up by now!!!

I almost choke laughing every time they mention how crappy the Buell's brakes are (no offense). If they could get away with it, they'd be gone I bet! I'm not even sure if they still are running all the fuel in the frame (I didn't think there was enough capacity). I'm pretty sure that they've given up on the oil in the swing arm. The belt drive was the first thing to go... Is this thing still a Buell?:lol: It seems that all the things that make it a superb street bike (by all accounts) make it a horrible race bike...:idk:

Dave 08-19-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255717)
Nope, which I find kinda dirty by itself! I mean, in a way, I agree that this class has produced some crazy, tight races but at what cost? The I4 guys are almost literally killing themselves to try and keep up on the faster, more flowing tracks. That dumb ass Cardenas could have had this championship wrapped up by now!!!

I almost choke laughing every time they mention how crappy the Buell's brakes are (no offense). If they could get away with it, they'd be gone I bet! I'm not even sure if they still are running all the fuel in the frame (I didn't think there was enough capacity). I'm pretty sure that they've given up on the oil in the swing arm. The belt drive was the first thing to go... Is this thing still a Buell?:lol: It seems that all the things that make it a superb street bike (by all accounts) make it a horrible race bike...:idk:

fast bikes has been railing against the ZTL brake for a while now. been wondering how long it would take for similar sentiments to leak out from the race effort. :lol: to go with your race bike comment, ive read that the RS3 cube was a really sweet bike to ride until you went for that last 5%. then it tried to eat you

dReWpY 08-19-2009 01:07 AM

rs3 cube?

Amber Lamps 08-19-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 255759)
rs3 cube?

Aprillia MotoGp bike.

Phenix_Rider 08-19-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255696)

I4-120 hp (for example)

Triple-140 hp

V2-160 hp

I must have missed that. I was looking at the rules during commercials watching the Topeka race. Kept thinking, "WTF! Buell wins two in a row and it's a big deal with a 525cc displacement advantage?!"

Tmall 08-19-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 255755)
fast bikes has been railing against the ZTL brake for a while now. been wondering how long it would take for similar sentiments to leak out from the race effort. :lol: to go with your race bike comment, ive read that the RS3 cube was a really sweet bike to ride until you went for that last 5%. then it tried to eat you

The ZTL is sufficient.. But, it's a lot weaker than a regular set up.

marko138 08-19-2009 08:01 AM

First of all...the Zuk is bad ass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 255717)

I'm not sure you understand why the 1125's dont use oil in the swingarm. The oil tank is intergrated into the crankcase like Japanese and other bikes. The XB's, as you all love to point out, uses a derivitive of a Harley engine. They have a need for a seperate oil tank. There was no reason to put the oil in the swing arm on the 1125.

smileyman 08-19-2009 09:48 AM

The swingarm conspiracy is this. They claim they need a different swing arm to convert to chain drive so they can be geared right for all the tracks BUT, when they bolt on the new swingarm they dont metion the extra 2 inches of extension to give them chain adjustability. The extra 2 gives them the option of lengthening the wheelbase for more stability and added traction at sometracks

smileyman 08-19-2009 09:49 AM

The ZTL brake conspiracy is this, Great powerful setup that lacks feel at that last aforementioned 5 pct, so they are allowed the different master cylinder and thicker rotor...

Dave 08-19-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 255759)
rs3 cube?

240 hp at the wheel triple monster. id love to see if more modern electronics could tame that beast. one of the really cool things about it was that the engine spun counterclockwise to normal inlines which stabilised the bike more the harder you got on the gas in corners

First seen at the Bologna Motor Show in Italy, in December 2001, the RS3 Cube marked Aprilia’s ambitious entry into the tempestuous world of MotoGP. Powered by a four-stroke 990cc three-cylinder engine fitted with pneumatic-valves, the 240-horsepower RS3 was supposed to be one of the most powerful MotoGP machines of its time.

Raced from 2002 to 2004, the Cube’s performance was less than exemplary. There were problems with the bike’s suspension, and its computer-controlled fly-by-wire throttle system was deemed unpredictable by riders Colin Edwards and Noriyuki Haga, with the latter crashing the RS3 Cube all of 28 times in a single season, in 2003! (Unless Haga-san was crashing the bike twice in almost every race, we suppose that figure includes crashes during practice and qualifying etc.)

So what went wrong? The RS3 Cube’s inline-three was designed by Aprilia in a technical collaboration with British engine specialists, Cosworth, who had earlier also worked with Aprilia on the RSV1000’s v-twin. ‘We chose a three-cylinder engine for several reasons. The first was that I was sure the Japanese wouldn't make a triple, and it was important for Aprilia to have something different from the others,’ said Aprilia racing team boss, Jan Witteveen, speaking to Motorcyclist magazine.

‘MotoGP rules favor three- and five-cylinder machines, and historically, the triple is more a European concept. A 990cc triple has a 330cc cylinder capacity, which is very close to the dimensions of a 10-cylinder 3.5-litre engine of an F1 car. This way, I could use a lot of technology and parts from Formula 1, which would save some development time,’ said Witteveen.

Noriyuki Haga and Colin Edwards found the RS3 Cube a right handful...

At one time, Aprilia even had plans of building a street-legal replica of their three-cylinder MotoGP machine, but when the RS3 Cube failed to do well in competition, all those plans went out of the window. A lot of the problems with the bike were down to its complex engine management and traction control systems – riders did not like the way these ‘interfered’ with their ‘normal’ way of riding.

Also, the Cube’s chassis and suspension combo did not work very well. The bike’s twin-spar aluminum frame, Ohlins shock, and 45mm Ohlins fork may have been top-spec components individually, but did not work with each other – the RS3 was prone to pulling wheelies, and there was often lack of adequate traction at the rear, a problem which was actually further compounded – rather than helped – by the Cube’s traction control system.

‘The RS3 pulls strongly from 8,000rpm and goes mental when you crack the throttle hard open anywhere above 10,000rpm grand, accelerating unbelievably fast. Your arms are yanked in their sockets and the Cube just takes off. Anywhere from 11,000rpm upward in the bottom four gears, the front wheel starts pawing the air as you shift seamlessly through the gears,’ said Alan Cathcart, when he tested the bike for Motorcyclist.

Cathcart actually liked the motorcycle, saying that ‘This is very far from being the unruly and remote-feeling rolling-laboratory-cum-two-wheeled-Formula 1 car I was expecting. Instead, it felt like a conventional race bike, but with genuine added value obtained from real-world applied electronics-with-a-purpose.’

However, Colin Edwards, who actually raced the bike in 2003, had a very different opinion of the RS3 Cube. ‘Too trick, possibly. Actually, I would not say too trick. I'm just not convinced that car technology works on motorcycles,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 255775)
The ZTL is sufficient.. But, it's a lot weaker than a regular set up.

wasnt the strength iirc i think fagan was complaining that they stood the bike up under hard braking in corners or something like that

Tmall 08-19-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 255823)

wasnt the strength iirc i think fagan was complaining that they stood the bike up under hard braking in corners or something like that

All bikes do.

The Buell just so happens to have lengthened the "lever" so to speak that forces their bike to stand up.

A two disc set up with the same diameter would likely cause the same effect.

I guess they thought it was worth the trade off for such fast steering.

smileyman 08-19-2009 10:05 AM

Then there was the whole CEII 'Fire crotch' incident at Imola...

Back to the GSXR Suzuki have upped the anty at Buell as the 1125RR isnt offered with lights and signals...Yet...

z06boy 08-19-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 255328)

Agreed.

I had not seen this but badazz no doubt !!

Amber Lamps 08-19-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 255787)
First of all...the Zuk is bad ass.

I'm not sure you understand why the 1125's dont use oil in the swingarm. The oil tank is intergrated into the crankcase like Japanese and other bikes. The XB's, as you all love to point out, uses a derivitive of a Harley engine. They have a need for a seperate oil tank. There was no reason to put the oil in the swing arm on the 1125.

Oh you're right Marko! I'm also mixing last year's "cheater' Buells with this years. They tried to campaign aircooled 1200s in the Formula Extreme class (600s) and didn't do very well. Anyway, I'm actually sorry, I didn't wish to descend into "Buell bashing" territory. As I've said before, it's not that I'm against Buell. I just want them to compete on equal terms and have an American racing effort that I can be proud of!:pat: If Eslick wins the Daytona Sportbike championship, I'm not gonna be proud or impressed.:sorry:

marko138 08-19-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 256037)
Oh you're right Marko! I'm also mixing last year's "cheater' Buells with this years. They tried to campaign aircooled 1200s in the Formula Extreme class (600s) and didn't do very well. Anyway, I'm actually sorry, I didn't wish to descend into "Buell bashing" territory. As I've said before, it's not that I'm against Buell. I just want them to compete on equal terms and have an American racing effort that I can be proud of!:pat: If Eslick wins the Daytona Sportbike championship, I'm not gonna be proud or impressed.:sorry:

Listen, I'm just saying there was a reason the oil was and is no longer in the swingarm. Thats all. Also, the fuel "tank" also holds 5.3 gallons. How much more do they need and how much do jap bikes hold? Near 5 gallons, right?

Amber Lamps 08-19-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 256040)
Listen, I'm just saying there was a reason the oil was and is no longer in the swingarm. Thats all. Also, the fuel "tank" also holds 5.3 gallons. How much more do they need and how much do jap bikes hold? Near 5 gallons, right?

Yea like I said, I'm mixing the two efforts. Last year, Buell "had" to use a different frame (normally against the rules) to get a higher fuel capacity. Anyway, I really hadn't meant to go into Buell bashing territory with this thread. Sorry.

smileyman 08-19-2009 04:43 PM

My ZX has 4.2 gallons. I am willing to bet that the 600s get better mileage under race conditions but I have not seen anyone run out this year in DSB. Even with the pace laps behind whomever?

karl_1052 08-20-2009 06:37 AM

Jamie James

shmike 08-20-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 256152)
Jamie James

Finally.

Thanks, karl! :dthumb:

Amber Lamps 08-20-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 256207)
Finally.

Thanks, karl! :dthumb:

Hahahahaha!

101lifts2 08-24-2009 12:40 AM

Its a sweet bike...new motor, chassis, BPF etc. etc. Unfortuneatly, it will attract the squids in droves.