Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What's the dumbest thing you have done on your bike? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=11344)

tached1000rr 11-01-2009 05:59 PM

What's the dumbest thing you have done on your bike?

We have all had our moments, luckily we lived and learned from it. So what dumb, stupid, or embarrassing moment have you had on the bike?

Trip 11-01-2009 06:12 PM

Are we limited to just one?

tached1000rr 11-01-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 285955)
Are we limited to just one?

Well heck no! Hopefully we can all learn from each others dumbness:lol:

derf 11-01-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 285950)
We have all had our moments, luckily we lived and learned from it. So what dumb, stupid, or embarrassing moment have you had on the bike?

Fell off while moving, stood up to stretch my legs and somehow missed a footpeg, I got lucky I was going pretty slow, no traffic around, and the bike just kinda rolled into the grass and fell over, no damage to me or my bike, but my ego was pretty bruised.

Then there was this one time I was riding with this shmuck and we got pulled over for screwing around and didnt have our papers on us and we got towed. That was pretty dumb, still kicking myself in the ass for that one. Which reminds me, i need to update the Derf & Dave thread.

And then there was this one time at banned camp

pdog 11-01-2009 06:41 PM

Tried to keep up with faster guys than me on a group ride and crashed, breaking my collarbone.

Tmall 11-01-2009 06:50 PM

Got caught up with playing with a ferari in traffic.

Was going way too fast for the situation. If a car had come over to the left lane, it wouldn't have gone well for me.

tached1000rr 11-01-2009 07:01 PM

Well we are at the drag strip, we decided to move our bikes closer to where we are sitting, I'm riding one handed with my helmet in my left hand, ok time to stop, opps my left hand is occupied, do I drop helmet to grab clutch or do I stall bike. Before I could decide stalled bike and it began to tip over but I was able to hold it up, but EVERYONE in the stands saw it happen since I was directly in front, and the crowd did a collective "Whoa" sound.

lauralynne 11-01-2009 07:03 PM

nothing - and you can't prove otherwise...
*whistles innocently*

karl_1052 11-01-2009 07:21 PM

When I first started riding, I was trying to show off to some chicks I knew in the car beside me, so I took off down this road at a speed I wouldn't consider now. When I got to the end, I couldn't stop and turn, to go with the road, so, I jammed on the brakes, and ended up stopping on some dudes front lawn.

The last time I rode my 86 GSXR1100, the motor blew, so I parked it on the side of the road. the kickstand on that bike was too long, because of the shorter inverted forks I put on it.
So, me and my buddy were looking up the road for a safe place to move it to, when we heard a crash behind us. We looked back and did not see anything and didn't think anything of it. We looked around a bit more, then when we were walking back to the bike, we both realized it was not there anymore. It had tipped over and fell into the ditch.

Mr Lefty 11-01-2009 07:29 PM

Looped it from a stop light... yup... pretty fuck'n dumb...

TYEster 11-01-2009 09:45 PM

Didn't check into theft insurance before AND/or after it got stolen. Thus leaving me with the rest of the payoff.

tached1000rr 11-01-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 286028)
Didn't check into theft insurance before AND/or after it got stolen. Thus leaving me with the rest of the payoff.

ouch!

dReWpY 11-01-2009 09:47 PM

that sucks....

i made a retarded pass at the dragon with trip and got called out on it, i have actually calmed down alot since that moment

HurricaneHeather 11-01-2009 09:56 PM

Driving down a road I didn't know at night by myself when I was mad. They don't always bother to put signs up saying the road takes a 90 degree right turn. Locked up the front brake and finally got stopped about 15 ft from the road in the gravel. I still have no idea how I didn't drop it.

Strange thing is, there was a dead dog in the road when I went out there and it was gone 15 minutes later when I came back through. :skep:

Dave 11-01-2009 11:05 PM

besides the derf incident, theres this road we usually hit at least once a year that snakes through parts of delaware, pa, and maryland thats tight, narrow, twisty, and has crazy elevation changes. well wer're on the way back and im up at the front riding with the young dumb and fast group at around fourth. theres this one particular hill that everyone is hitting hard enough to jump over...well i go for it too. only thing is i forget about torque and keep it pinned when i hit the air and she stands up into a guy martin style jump into a wheelie landing. and me not at all being prepared for it my feet slide completely off the rear pegs and hang from the bars. somehow i managed to go into the superhuman time slowdown place that happens when you are about to die and eased the throttle off to bring her down on two and back under control. didnt really learn my lesson from that either as a few turns later we were coming down a sharp grade into a left and i screwed up a downshift and had to deal with a little skid action. i eased off after that one :lol: sixxer can attest to the truth of this story since he and another friend were right behind me

lauralynne 11-02-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

winner.

t-homo 11-02-2009 05:53 AM

going too fast, stupid passes, killin it at bike night because of the kickstand, etc.

Cruzergirl 11-02-2009 08:07 AM

Rode back from D.C. to Pensacola FL alone just 8 days after PRK surgery.

Mr Lefty 11-02-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruzergirl (Post 286142)
Rode back from D.C. to Pensacola FL alone just 8 days after PRK surgery.

day 8 I was fine... day 2 and 3 was a nightmare though for opening my eyes... but I rode on day 5 on...

imagine your eyes got pretty dry...

Kaneman 11-02-2009 09:10 AM

Trying to keep up with an experienced and skilled rider on a Tuono riding VA mountain roads while on a DL1000 loaded with at least 200lbs of gear. I had an inflated ego from railing the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 8 hours that day.

Rider 11-02-2009 09:20 AM

150mph on surface streets. :tremble:

Cruzergirl 11-02-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 286144)
day 8 I was fine... day 2 and 3 was a nightmare though for opening my eyes... but I rode on day 5 on...

imagine your eyes got pretty dry...

Yup, that was it. Dry eyes = blurred vision = going too slow on curvy roads = many angry cage drivers behind you. :lol: ( I would pull over once 5 or so cars got behind me, let them pass, and start over again) Fun trip (really).

HokieDNA01 11-02-2009 10:27 AM

learning how to ride I went with my "harley friends" (hadn't met any sportbikers yet) on my little 250 to a local bar (go figure). I sat there all night drinking soda.

I come outside to find some asshole had moved my motorcycle out of a parking spot so he could park his truck there. He moved me on to some broken up concrete/gravel. I go on the bike, fired it up and started to try and back up. I couldn't with the gravel, my short legs and slight up hill angle. I wasn't experienced enough to know I could get off and push it back so I put it in gear and tried to u-turn it in gear in the fairly large "parking spot" I was in. I got it almost all the way around till I was butting right up to a parked car (dont' know if it was the guy that moved me but it was the same spot).

I pulled the clutch in and started to try to back it up so I could complete my turn but I slipped on the gravel and dropped the clutch. BAM! right into the side of the truck. A bunch of drunk guys came running out including the shit faced truck owner. They all started screaming at me and my "lack of riding skills" and as I asked them to help me while I got off the bike. They let it tip over onto the pavement. Thank you!

Next thing I get is that I MUST be drunk and they are calling the cops. I told them go ahead, I'm sober and I have insurance. The truck owner then realized he would be busted for being so shitty himself so he said I could leave if someone picked my bike up and I couldn't ride it or he would again call the cops. I was hysterical at this point and called a good friend to get me.

He came over, bought all the guys a round of shots and they forgot about me and let me ride home. I lost my confidence that day and after them telling me over and over "this is why women shouldn't ride" I just about believed them. I'm glad I got over it and worked to put as many miles as I could on that year.

z06boy 11-02-2009 10:49 AM

Well other than actually wreck it has to be this...

When buying my very first bike...a 1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R I had no real clue how to even ride it. Yes I knew right hand throttle/front brake...left hand clutch...left foot shifter and right foot rear brake but still no real clue how to ride it.

I had NEVER ridden on the street either and I picked it up when I got off of work on Friday afternoon in rush hour traffic. :whatwhat:

I was real hesitate to jump out into traffic so I decided to ride around in a neighborhood behind the dealership. Well I did and then all of a sudden about a 1/2 mile away it started sputtering and cut off. I tried and I tried to restart it to no avail.

Pushed it off the road and parked it behind a building and walked back up to the dealership.

Told the guy the piece of crap was ALREADY giving me problems.

He said humm...."well maybe it's out of gas...did you switch it to reserve?"

I was like :?:...needless to say...I turned around...walked out red faced and all back to the bike...switched it to reserve...it started and I was on my way.:wtfru: :suicide:

I thought I'd never get home alive being in rush hour traffic...but I did.

That was over 20 years ago...glad my current bike doesn't have a switchable reserve. :loser: :lol

unknownroad 11-02-2009 01:25 PM

Rode about 5 miles trailing a 50-foot extension cord that got caught in the kickstand.

It was my favorite extension cord, too :(

HokieDNA01 11-02-2009 02:05 PM

OH then there was the time when I was riding my brand new 250 around my neighborhood (wasn't brave enough for the street yet) and past by some good looking moving men moving a new neighbor in. On of them (of course the best looking) flagged me down and started chatting my ear off about how he thought it was so kick ass that a girl was riding a bike. Well after about 30 mins of flirting I went to fire my bike back up and found the battery was dead cause my dumb ass had turned it off with the kill switch and not the key. Mr. Hottie had to run inside to get his "bike riding friend" to come out and bump start it for me. I hid in the house/garage till they were done with the move and on their way.

CrazyKell 11-02-2009 02:08 PM

I've done some stupid moves, although not always intentionally.

Stupidest though was probably trying to beat the pants off some boys on a group ride who refused to ride behind the girls. Was hard to focus on riding with both of our egos out there. After a few minutes I cooled off and backed right off. Not worth it.

Apoc 11-02-2009 02:30 PM

hmmmm.... its hard to pick just one.

Though on a trip across Canada on an rc51, i'm pretty sure i nodded off for half a second, because when I noticed, I was in the other lane. Thankfully I was in the prairies and there wasnt a car to be seen for miles. I was way too tired to be riding (had been going 16+ hours), yet i kept on.

CrazyKell 11-02-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 286375)

Though on a trip across Canada on an rc51, i'm pretty sure i nodded off for half a second, because when I noticed, I was in the other lane. Thankfully I was in the prairies and there wasnt a car to be seen for miles. I was way too tired to be riding (had been going 16+ hours), yet i kept on.

I did this on the 401 in Toronto in Cottage traffic. NOT recommended!

t-homo 11-02-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 286375)

I did that coming back through arkansas.

Amber Lamps 11-02-2009 06:46 PM

Not ride it when it was nice out!!!

TYEster 11-02-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 286467)
Not ride it when it was nice out!!!

This what I'm currently doing dumb.

Sunny & 70s... If I weren't saving my tires for the track. Trackbike here I come!

OneSickPsycho 11-02-2009 08:33 PM

Rode with Drewpy.

tached1000rr 11-02-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 286518)
Rode with Drewpy.

:lol

racedoll 11-02-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 285972)
When I first started riding, I was trying to show off to some chicks I knew in the car beside me, so I took off down this road at a speed I wouldn't consider now. When I got to the end, I couldn't stop and turn, to go with the road, so, I jammed on the brakes, and ended up stopping on some dudes front lawn.

The last time I rode my 86 GSXR1100, the motor blew, so I parked it on the side of the road. the kickstand on that bike was too long, because of the shorter inverted forks I put on it.
So, me and my buddy were looking up the road for a safe place to move it to, when we heard a crash behind us. We looked back and did not see anything and didn't think anything of it. We looked around a bit more, then when we were walking back to the bike, we both realized it was not there anymore. It had tipped over and fell into the ditch.

:lol:

Quote:

Going to check my insurance now....

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 286262)
Well other than actually wreck it has to be this...

When buying my very first bike...a 1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R I had no real clue how to even ride it. Yes I knew right hand throttle/front brake...left hand clutch...left foot shifter and right foot rear brake but still no real clue how to ride it.

I had NEVER ridden on the street either and I picked it up when I got off of work on Friday afternoon in rush hour traffic. :whatwhat:

I was real hesitate to jump out into traffic so I decided to ride around in a neighborhood behind the dealership. Well I did and then all of a sudden about a 1/2 mile away it started sputtering and cut off. I tried and I tried to restart it to no avail.

Pushed it off the road and parked it behind a building and walked back up to the dealership.

Told the guy the piece of crap was ALREADY giving me problems.

He said humm...."well maybe it's out of gas...did you switch it to reserve?"

I was like :?:...needless to say...I turned around...walked out red faced and all back to the bike...switched it to reserve...it started and I was on my way.:wtfru: :suicide:

I thought I'd never get home alive being in rush hour traffic...but I did.

That was over 20 years ago...glad my current bike doesn't have a switchable reserve. :loser: :lol

If you had just bought from the dealer why the hell didn't they fill your gas tank for you?

My incident... probably the time Erik and I went to Mid-Ohio to the races. I mis-interpreted his hand gestures and pulled on through the median where the bikes parts. Little did I realize he was backing up and right into me. Knocked me and the bike over... the only time my bike has ever been dropped (knock on wood). Broke my right front turn signal, bent my front brake lever, scratched up the plastic/stickers, and broke my right foot peg. None of which I've bothered fixing though I have the sticker and lever to fix if I want.

Scot 11-02-2009 09:10 PM

rode a wheelie because some rednecks gave me the universal "ride a wheelie" arm flap. Why was that dumb? Sheriff was coming the other way.

No ticket! Sheriff's don't carry ticket books. At least this one didn't. He didn't care enough to phone a friend either.

TYEster 11-02-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 286535)
Going to check my insurance now....

Meh I was 19 and stupid. I just had to sell my beater car to pay off the bike.

For almost the next 2 years, I drove my company van around hauling my dirty dirtbikes to n from the track. :lol:

Thankfully I can afford to carry full on everything nowadays.

ceo012384 11-03-2009 09:32 PM

crash on the pitout for the warmup lap of my race due to debris still on the tires from a crash in morning practice (then go out and win the race)

Mr Lefty 11-03-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 287108)
crash on the pitout for the warmup lap of my race due to debris still on the tires from a crash in morning practice (then go out and win the race)

that's pretty low on the dumb scale... especially with the win... come on... you can do better...

z06boy 11-04-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

:lol:

If you had just bought from the dealer why the hell didn't they fill your gas tank for you?

Well that's what I wondered after the fact. I thought it was full so that's why I thought something was wrong with the bike but due to my ignorance at the time I didn't even check/switch to reserve first without walking all the way back up there. :wtfru: :lol:

HokieDNA01 11-04-2009 09:13 AM

My dealer didn't fill my gas tank on my 250 either. I ran out of gas on the way home and had to switch to reserve also. Was not happy. I will NEVER buy from a dealer again.

z06boy 11-04-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 287240)
My dealer didn't fill my gas tank on my 250 either. I ran out of gas on the way home and had to switch to reserve also. Was not happy. I will NEVER buy from a dealer again.

That is pretty crazy for them not to do that for a new customer. In my experience it was my first bike and I just 'assumed' which I've never done since. :lol:

HokieDNA01 11-04-2009 09:30 AM

my NEW bike was also filthy, and they took 2.5 hours to take my CASH IN HAND purchase cause they felt like taking a lunch beak mid sale. It was fucked up. I totally should have walked but I was young and DYING to get my first new bike home. They also lied to me about the rarety of the color I wanted and that they only had one left. I went in a week later and there were 3 new blue ones in stock. ARG!!

z06boy 11-04-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 287259)
my NEW bike was also filthy, and they took 2.5 hours to take my CASH IN HAND purchase cause they felt like taking a lunch beak mid sale. It was fucked up. I totally should have walked but I was young and DYING to get my first new bike home. They also lied to me about the rarety of the color I wanted and that they only had one left. I went in a week later and there were 3 new blue ones in stock. ARG!!

Now that totally sucks. That's definitely a bad experience...then they cry when sales are off. :wtfru:

karl_1052 11-04-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

I have never heard of a dealer selling a vehicle with more than an 1/8th of a tank around here.

Gas Man 11-04-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 287108)

Dude LAME! Admit it... you were just trying to pat yourself on the back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 287111)
that's pretty low on the dumb scale... especially with the win... come on... you can do better...

Honestly... he basically just ass raped himself and enjoyed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 287294)
I have never heard of a dealer selling a vehicle with more than an 1/8th of a tank around here.

I have never got a bike or car without a full tank of gas.... well till I got the wife's nightster. The salesman got the bike from the porter guy who washed it. I was standing right there... "You gased it up?" "Yep, all set".

I get 10 mins from the dealer and the gas light comes on. WTF! Call up there and told the salesman. Couple days later I get a survey call. Told them about it... I get a call from the sales manager. He says stop in and they'll fill both my bikes. I stopped in a few times and told them... nah not now. A month later I stopped in... both bikes empty... fill em up! So worth it!