Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   gov't intervention, thats whats for lunch today (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20968)

RACER X 02-14-2012 04:57 PM

gov't intervention, thats whats for lunch today

http://myfox8.com/2012/02/14/nc-pres...wasnt-healthy/

NC preschooler’s “unhealthy” lunch replaced with cafeteria nuggets

3:12 pm, February 14, 2012, by Ryan Sullivan

RAEFORD, N.C. — A Hoke County preschooler was fed chicken nuggets for lunch because a state worker felt that her homemade lunch did not have enough nutritional value, according to a report by the Carolina Journal.

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a U.S. Department of Agriculture agent who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet USDA guidelines,” the Journal reports.

The decision was made under consideration of a regulation put in place by the the Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to meet USDA guidelines.

“When home-packed lunches do not include all of the required items, child care providers must supplement them with the missing ones,” the Journal reports.

The student’s mother told the Journal she received a note from the school about the incident and was charged $1.25 for the cafeteria tray, from which her daughter only ate three chicken nuggets.

The note explained how students who did not bring “healthy lunches” would be offered the missing portions and that parents could be charged for the cost of the cafeteria food, the Journal reports.

The mother, who was not identified in the report, expressed concern about school officials telling her daughter that she wasn’t “packing her lunch box properly.”

OneSickPsycho 02-14-2012 05:02 PM

WHAT THE FUCK? that's healthier than 99% of the shit kids eat these days... and some fried fucking nuggets are supposed to supplement that???

I'd be beyond pissed off... especially because the USDA is a fucking shill for big government... those standards are set by bureaucrats getting pockets lined, NOT nutritionists.

tommymac 02-14-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 505956)
WHAT THE FUCK? that's healthier than 99% of the shit kids eat these days... and some fried fucking nuggets are supposed to supplement that???

I'd be beyond pissed off... especially because the USDA is a fucking shill for big government... those standards are set by bureaucrats getting pockets lined, NOT nutritionists.

I guess her pre packed lunch didnt contain enough nitrates, MSG, steroids and antibiotics so she had ot have some processed nuggets.

Homeslice 02-14-2012 09:10 PM

Exactly what the fuck was missing from her lunch? Vegetables maybe? WGAF?

This is the first I've heard of government "agents" searching kids' lunch boxes. WTF? :?:

Gas Man 02-14-2012 09:19 PM

I'd have that lunch ladies job.

pauldun170 02-14-2012 09:45 PM

Kinda sounds like something is missing from this story.

Lamnidae 02-14-2012 10:17 PM

Dubya Tee Eff....

No wonder 'Merikah is so fked.... we're not feeding our kids properly so we need Big Bro stepping in to help us out so we can see the error of our ways.... we must conform.

pauldun170 02-15-2012 09:27 AM

More

Quote:

Quote:

A mother in Hoke County complains her daughter was forced to eat a school lunch because a government inspector determined her home-made lunch did not meet nutrition requirements. In fact, all of the students in the NC Pre-K program classroom at West Hoke Elementary School in Raeford had to accept a school lunch in addition to their lunches brought from home.

NC Pre-K (before this year known as More at Four) is a state-funded education program designed to “enhance school readiness” for four year-olds.

The mother, who doesn’t wish to be identified at this time, says she made her daughter a lunch that contained a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips. A state inspector assessing the pre-K program at the school said the girl also needed a vegetable, so the inspector ordered a full school lunch tray for her. While the four-year-old was still allowed to eat her home lunch, the girl was forced to take a helping of chicken nuggets, milk, a fruit and a vegetable to supplement her sack lunch.

The mother says the girl was so intimidated by the inspection process that she was too scared to eat all of her homemade lunch. The girl ate only the chicken nuggets provided to her by the school, so she still didn’t eat a vegetable.

The mother says her daughter doesn’t like vegetables and – like most four year olds – will only eat them at home under close supervision.

In an interview with the Civitas Institute the mother said “I can’t put vegetables in her lunchbox. I’m not a millionaire and I’m not going to put something in there that my daughter doesn’t eat and I’ve done gone round and round with the teacher about that and I’ve told her that. I put fruit in there every day because she is a fruit eater. Vegetables, let me take care of my business at home and at night and that’s when I see she’s eating vegetables. I either have to smash it or tell her if you don’t eat your vegetables you’re going to go to bed.”

The mother added, “It’s just a headache to keep arguing and fighting. I’ve even wrote a note to her teachers and said do not give my daughter anything else unless it comes out of her lunchbox and they are still going against me and putting a milk in front of her every day.

“Friday she came home and said ‘Mom, they give me vegetable soup and a milk,’” said the mother.

“So I went to the cafeteria to make sure she had no fee and it’s not being charged to her account yet,” she continued, ” but what concerned me was that I got a letter from the principal and it says students who do not bring a healthy lunch will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria. So if I don’t stay on top of her account on a weekly basis there’s that opportunity that charges could be put on her account and then if I let it go too far then it’s like I’m going to have a big battle.”

The principal of West Hoke Elementary, Jackie Samuels, says none of the children’s parents were asked to pay for the school food. While the parents may not have to pay, it was still an expense for the school to provide the extra food. A phone call to the Hoke County Schools Superintendent to inquire as to how much additional expense this would impose on the school was not returned.

The mother, who lives in Fayetteville, sent a statement to state Rep. G.L. Pridgen (R-Robeson) detailing her complaint. Pridgen says he was shocked to hear it. Pridgen has since learned this is a nationwide practice based on federal guidelines.

An assistant to Pridgen says the girl’s grandmother was also upset and asked, “This isn’t China, is it?”

The government inspector was from the Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale-Revised program at the FPG Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The program gives schools a grade based on standards that include USDA meal guidelines enforced by the N.C. Division of Early Childhood Development.

The nutrition standards for pre-K lunch require milk, two servings of fruit or vegetable, bread or grains and a meat or meat alternative. The school didn’t receive a high grade from the January assessment because the home-made lunches didn’t meet those guidelines. The mother points out the only thing on that list her daughter’s home lunch didn’t have was milk, so she doesn’t understand why the girl was given a complete school meal as a supplement.

The mother says her next step is to sit down with the principal and if nothing is done then she plans to go to the school board.

Kaneman 02-15-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 505982)
Kinda sounds like something is missing from this story.

Maybe to someone who doesn't have kids in public school....

shmike 02-15-2012 09:52 AM

After reading Paul's "full story" it is even more infuriating.

jtemple 02-15-2012 10:03 AM

I'd be raising hell, for sure. I decide what my kid eats, not the school and not the government. Just because the kid doesn't get vegetables packed in their lunch doesn't mean there are zero vegetables in their diet. What's next? Federal inspectors in your house, monitoring what your kids eat?

Who is on the hook if those idiots at the school give your kid something that they're allergic to?

Fuck that.

shmike 02-15-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 506028)
Who is on the hook if those idiots at the school give your kid something that they're allergic to?

Fuck that.

That was my thinking reading Paul's post.

It mentioned milk a few times as something the school decided the child needed.

If a school decided it needs to feed my child milk, they would have a very big lawsuit on their hands.

pauldun170 02-15-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

NC Pre-K (before this year known as More at Four) is a state-funded education program designed to “enhance school readiness” for four year-olds
Quote:

A state inspector assessing the pre-K program at the school said the girl also needed a vegetable, so the inspector ordered a full school lunch tray for her. While the four-year-old was still allowed to eat her home lunch
Quote:

students who do not bring a healthy lunch will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria.
Quote:

The principal of West Hoke Elementary, Jackie Samuels, says none of the children’s parents were asked to pay for the school food.

Quote:

The (state) government inspector was from the Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale-Revised program at the FPG Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The program gives schools a grade based on standards that include USDA meal guidelines enforced by the N.C. Division of Early Childhood Development.

Some significant and important differences from the Fox article.

Homeslice 02-15-2012 11:41 AM

Still retarded.

I will say that bananas and apple juices are shitty choices for fruit. Bananas contain little of merit except potassium, and they promote tooth decay due to their sticky consistency. As for apple juice, it's the cheapest type of juice, and spikes insulin levels faster than other types of juices.

EpyonXero 02-15-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

NC Pre-K (before this year known as More at Four) is a state-funded education program designed to “enhance school readiness” for four year-olds.

If we can tell welfare recipients where they can spend their checks why cant we tell parents what to pack in their kids' lunches so we're not wasting money educating future fat kids. Theyre accepting government money so the goverement owns them, right?

fatbuckRTO 02-15-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpyonXero (Post 506044)
If we can tell welfare recipients where they can spend their checks why cant we tell parents what to pack in their kids' lunches so we're not wasting money educating future fat kids. Theyre accepting government money so the goverement owns them, right?

Rhetorical nonsense and you know it. There is a difference between dictating every minor behavior of a person who utilizes a government program and dictating the acceptable uses of government money. No one cries about Pell Grants being only applicable to university fees. But support restrictions on welfare money and all of a sudden I'm trying to own poor people? Sell that crap somewhere else.

That being said, I have less of a problem with the story if the school simply provides a lunch. Providing a whole other meal to a student who already has a meal is just a waste of money, not a violation of rights. Forcing the students to eat one thing or another is a different matter, and not apparently what happened in this case.

However, if they actually try to force the parents to pay for an arbitrarily-provided extra lunch when the parents have already provided a lunch, that crosses the line.

pauldun170 02-15-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO (Post 506054)
Rhetorical nonsense and you know it. There is a difference between dictating every minor behavior of a person who utilizes a government program and dictating the acceptable uses of government money. No one cries about Pell Grants being only applicable to university fees. But support restrictions on welfare money and all of a sudden I'm trying to own poor people? Sell that crap somewhere else.

That being said, I have less of a problem with the story if the school simply provides a lunch. Providing a whole other meal to a student who already has a meal is just a waste of money, not a violation of rights. Forcing the students to eat one thing or another is a different matter, and not apparently what happened in this case.

However, if they actually try to force the parents to pay for an arbitrarily-provided extra lunch when the parents have already provided a lunch, that crosses the line.

I'm still looking for more details but so far it just looks like an auditor saw the girl was missing a veggie and said "Here ya go sweetie"..gave her the school lunch. Kid saw chicken nuggets and like any child went straight for that, filled up on the nuggets and ignored the turkey sandwich. Expected behavior for any 4 year old.

Mom sounds like she took it personally, as if the school is saying she is an unfit mother. Flips out and starts raising hell.

shmike 02-15-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 506057)
I'm still looking for more details but so far it just looks like an auditor saw the girl was missing a veggie and said "Here ya go sweetie"..gave her the school lunch. Kid saw chicken nuggets and like any child went straight for that, filled up on the nuggets and ignored the turkey sandwich. Expected behavior for any 4 year old.

Mom sounds like she took it personally, as if the school is saying she is an unfit mother. Flips out and starts raising hell.

Why is there an auditor looking through children's lunches?

Did the auditor's actions achieve the intended results?

pauldun170 02-15-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 506058)
Why is there an auditor looking through children's lunches?

Did the auditor's actions achieve the intended results?

Doh..meant to say assessor.
Its stated in the article I posted...the inspector was assessing the program.

shmike 02-15-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 506061)
Doh..meant to say assessor.
Its stated in the article I posted...the inspector was assessing the program.

That's fine if the inspector wants to assess the school lunches.

Why was she digging through a 4 year old's home-packed lunch?

shmike 02-15-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

The mother added,... I’ve even wrote a note to her teachers and said do not give my daughter anything else unless it comes out of her lunchbox and they are still going against me and putting a milk in front of her every day.

EpyonXero 02-15-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO (Post 506054)

Whenever welfare comes up theres a common theme that these people are using "my" money and therefore should follow my rules. Nobody has a problem with the government intervening to decide where the recipients spend their money. This is obviously a different situation but its still an instance of the government making rules that only apply to patrons of a particular government sponsored program.

Im just speculating but Ill bet that at some point a study showed that the children most likely to participate in this type of free preschool program are also the most at risk for obesity or other diet related diseases so they decided to add dietary requirements for everyone that participates. Thats a lot like what happened in Florida when they decided that all welfare recipients must take a drug test to get benefits.

pauldun170 02-15-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 506062)
That's fine if the inspector wants to assess the school lunches.

Why was she digging through a 4 year old's home-packed lunch?

Digging or just walking around the lunchroom taking notes?

Homeslice 02-15-2012 03:59 PM

Is this a federal inspector or state? If federal, that's BS and a waste of money IMO.

shmike 02-15-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 506067)
Digging or just walking around the lunchroom taking notes?

Does it matter?

pauldun170 02-15-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

The More at Four Evaluation Team of the FPG Child Development Institute conducted the statewide evaluation of North Carolina's More at Four Pre-kindergarten Program during its operation from 2001-2011. More at Four was a state-funded pre-kindergarten program designed to prepare at-risk four-year-olds for success in school.
Quote:

The More at Four Evaluation team at the FPG Child Development Institute served as the external evaluator for the North Carolina More at Four Program during its 10 years of operation. We gathered information each year to evaluate the program’s effectiveness and to provide data for program improvement.

Major research questions included:

Who was served by the More at Four Program?
What were the characteristics and quality of the services provided?
What were the outcomes of children attending these programs?
What factors were associated with better outcomes for children?
To what extent have there been changes over time?

The evaluation provided a "big-picture" look at the statewide program as a whole, and included varying data each year from a variety of sources. The types of evaluation information gathered included assessments of children's development, observations of classroom quality and curriculum implementation, and monthly reports of program services.
http://www.fpg.unc.edu/~mafeval/pages/publications.cfm
Quote:

The More at Four Pre-Kindergarten Program is a high-quality pre-k program that serves children who are at
risk and prepares them for success in school. Pre-kindergarten is a research-proven strategy for school
readiness.
Children served by More at Four attend a full school day, full school year program that meets high-quality
state standards. The program is community based. It is integrated with other early childhood programs in the
community and administered at the county or regional level. Children participating in More at Four may be
served in classrooms in the public schools, licensed child care centers or Head Start programs.
The More at Four program is especially beneficial for those children most at risk of school failure. According to
independent evaluation findings by the FPG Child Development Institute, University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill, children served by More at Four exhibit substantial growth in key areas including language,
literacy, math and social skills.
Quote:

Eligibility
The program serves children who are four years old by August 31, will be entering kindergarten the following
year, and are at risk for poor school outcomes. Factors that put children at risk for poor school outcomes
include low income, limited English proficiency, identified disability, chronic health condition and
developmental or educational need.

Quote:

The program is
community-based, voluntary, and designed to prepare at-risk four-year-olds in North Carolina for
success in school.

If this mother is so fucking upset then take her child out of this voluntary program established to help her and her child out.

pauldun170 02-15-2012 04:20 PM

So to summarize the story.

Mom packs a shitty lunch for her shitty kid and sends her off to retard school.
the retard school program was established because guilt ridden people with normal kids thought something needed to be done for all the stupid poor people who couldn't afford to send their kids off to therapists and were worried that all the little poor retard kids would make start rubbing off on the normal kids.

Win win where poor people could drop off their kid at a free babysitter that would also help them with school and make sure they get a good meal.

Person checking up on the school see's little girl with a crappy lunch and gives her an approved lunch. (poor people with their sugar drinks...)

Mother gets "Oh noes they diddant" and shoots gift horse in face.

FoxNews reports Obama sends political appointee to take little girls lunch and replace it with fried chicken prepared by Hillary Clinton who then sends a cleaning bill to mother.

Hilarity ensues

However...I'm still looking into this so this is just a draft summary

pauldun170 02-15-2012 04:55 PM

Currently trying to find how the on site assessor is considered a "Government employee"
http://ers.fpg.unc.edu/ers-people

From what I've read so far, an Assessor is someone who completes the training at the University and not affiliated with any state agency...unless we're going to call everyone who works directly or indirectly for or with a state university a government employee.

pauldun170 02-15-2012 04:57 PM

Anyone want to head over to the University and take the training?
http://www.ersi.info/training_live.html
http://www.ersi.info/inpractice.html

Lamnidae 02-15-2012 06:17 PM

.... on the fence now -- mainly because of shitty overall reporting.

But overall I don't think that was a super-bad lunch the mom packed for her kid -- beats the hell outta some of the shit I had when I was growing up.

EpyonXero 02-15-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 506079)
Currently trying to find how the on site assessor is considered a "Government employee"
http://ers.fpg.unc.edu/ers-people

From what I've read so far, an Assessor is someone who completes the training at the University and not affiliated with any state agency...unless we're going to call everyone who works directly or indirectly for or with a state university a government employee.

From what I read these are not state employees but contractors.

The way I see it is some checklister had an empty "Vegetable" line on her form that needed a check mark so she ordered the kid some vegetables o she could finish her job. Since the meals are all pre-portioned you cant just order a cup of green beans so she got a full meal. They put it in front of a 4-year old and told her to eat the green beans so of course she ate the chicken nuggets. It seems like kids who bring their lunch should be exempt from these rules but other than that I dont see the big deal.

Lamnidae 02-15-2012 11:42 PM

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/...3?sac=fo.local

So now they're saying it was a mix-up and blame it on the kid --- that she didn't understand or "misinterpreted" what was being instructed? No kidding... You don't say.... the kid's 4 years old.

Papa_Complex 02-16-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 506073)
So to summarize the story.

Mom packs a shitty lunch for her shitty kid and sends her off to retard school.
the retard school program was established because guilt ridden people with normal kids thought something needed to be done for all the stupid poor people who couldn't afford to send their kids off to therapists and were worried that all the little poor retard kids would make start rubbing off on the normal kids.

Win win where poor people could drop off their kid at a free babysitter that would also help them with school and make sure they get a good meal.

Person checking up on the school see's little girl with a crappy lunch and gives her an approved lunch. (poor people with their sugar drinks...)

Mother gets "Oh noes they diddant" and shoots gift horse in face.

FoxNews reports Obama sends political appointee to take little girls lunch and replace it with fried chicken prepared by Hillary Clinton who then sends a cleaning bill to mother.

Hilarity ensues

However...I'm still looking into this so this is just a draft summary

Sounds like a pretty good lunch, to me. When I was that age my lunch, on school days, frequently consisted of a bologna sandwich with mayo, on white bread, and a bowl of Lipton's chicken noodle soup (from powder mix).

Hell, these days no one can seem to decide if there are four food groups, five food groups, or a whole fucking pyramid. Let parents feed their kids.

Lamnidae 02-16-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 506133)
Sounds like a pretty good lunch, to me. When I was that age my lunch, on school days, frequently consisted of a bologna sandwich with mayo, on white bread, and a bowl of Lipton's chicken noodle soup (from powder mix).

Hell, these days no one can seem to decide if there are four food groups, five food groups, or a whole fucking pyramid. Let parents feed their kids.

werd,