Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Modding (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   So I am thinking about an after market exhaust... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=2727)

Quick281 10-03-2008 11:49 PM

So I am thinking about an after market exhaust...

Anything I need to know before I dive into this seemingly simple area?

I have been eyeballing the Taylor Made system for my bike because I LOVE the look it provides. It is sort of pricey at 700.00 but I think it would be worth it. Not to mention that the price will also keep me from seeing it on every other GSXR around town.

http://www.racetaylormade.com/tmpage...suz06-750.html

I am not exactly how loud the system will be but I figure the louder the better. Other then the fact that I love loud things, it would be nice for people to hear me while putzing around in traffic.

Anything I need to know, or any other brands I should be looking at?

I realize this is more or less one of those just pick one and go for it sort of things, but I like being perticular when it comes to my bike. :)

Hell, its just fun to post whore you guys again. :pwhore2::twfix:

Cutty72 10-03-2008 11:51 PM

Taylor mades look great on the GSXR's!
and they sound mean too.
Never heard one on a 600, but saw one on a new 08 1K.
Looked sweet, and sounded AWESOME!!
Louder than a Yosh, but not obnoxious either.

DO EEETTT!!!!

marko138 10-04-2008 01:19 AM

Drummer.

Oh wait...he only makes pipes for Buell's. NEverminD.

Rider 10-04-2008 01:08 PM

Taylormade is the shit on Gixxers. :dthumb:

No Worries 10-04-2008 11:04 PM

I'll be the devil's advocate. Six extra horsepower? Where? At 14K? Show me the torque curve. Free lunch horsepower? I don't think it's free. I think it came from down lower in the curve. A peaky 600, made peakier. And the 10 pounds? That's from below the axles for better handling, that's why they moved the undertail exhausts down low (Thanks Mr. Buell). The loudness? Aftermarkets are illegal here and cops love to give out those tickets. As for the $700, I'd rather use that for suspension, brakes, tires, seat, handlebars, lessons, or speeding tickets. But that's just my opinion.

Mr Lefty 10-04-2008 11:11 PM

for Quick's bike... I'll agree with NoWorries... The Chi hasn't chaged her exhaust... and really I think the stock exhaust on that bike is really good looking. :2cents:

Dave 10-05-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 76461)
Aftermarkets are illegal here and cops love to give out those tickets.

what kind of communist bs is that? thank god i live in jersey where you can get away with riding around open header if you want to :pat:

Mr Lefty 10-05-2008 05:53 AM

yeah Colorado has a law that requires the EPA stamp on the exhaust... course only the stock has that

ontwo 10-05-2008 09:17 AM

The M4 for that bike sounds wicked. There is a guy that drive by the bank with that exhaust and it is awesome

jeeps84 10-05-2008 09:58 AM

Slip on, who cares what it is. Full systems I hope for the price but I would have to see the dyno to know if its worth the money.

DLIT 10-05-2008 02:13 PM

I like Taylormade because they supply you a panel that fills in the empty space from removing the stock can. All the major companies sound nice on 'em. I'd go by looks and price. Racefit Growler's are fucking sick, too.

PhiSig1071 10-05-2008 07:56 PM

I had a buddy who had a Taylor-Made on a 750, it looked pretty sick, was easy to install, and sounded pretty damn good.

However, my opinion is spend the money on something other than an exhaust. Steel braided brake lines, some woodcraft rearsets, some suspension work, or maybe a trackday.

Quick281 10-05-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 76461)
I'll be the devil's advocate.

Thanks for your input. You raised several very good points.

To be honest, this is one of those rare cases where I would be most interested in the look of the bike with the other benefits just being a big bonues.

I already love the look of my stock can but it is scratched up from when the first owner put it down. I might wait to pick up the exhaust and maybe go for that as a Xmas gift to myself. I recall the bike being pretty loud to begin with.

Dave 10-05-2008 10:31 PM

if you do a full system m4 sounds amazing and its cheep

Quick281 10-05-2008 10:36 PM

I checked out the Racefit Growler and while I sort of like the look the price puts it out of my range for another year or so.

There is something about the M4 that I don't like, maybe the look of it. I suppose it would help to see these in person but I will just cool my jets and wait on it.

jeeps84 10-05-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick281 (Post 76651)
I already love the look of my stock can but it is scratched up from when the first owner put it down.

I have a stock exhaust I can sell you. Only 25 miles on it. Just PM me.

Quick281 10-06-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeps84 (Post 76660)
I have a stock exhaust I can sell you. Only 25 miles on it. Just PM me.

Excellent, I may be interested in it when I get home in a couple weeks. I will PM ya.

PhiSig1071 10-06-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick281 (Post 76692)
Excellent, I may be interested in it when I get home in a couple weeks. I will PM ya.

You'll be a lot happier spending the money on something else. Especially if it's a trackday!

Quick281 10-06-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 (Post 76695)
You'll be a lot happier spending the money on something else. Especially if it's a trackday!

Probably very true.

marko138 10-06-2008 09:32 AM

Stock exhausts never did it for me. Most don't sound or look great. And they are quiet. Are there better things to spend money on? Absolutely...like all of the aforementioned items.

But if an exhaust system is gonna make you happy then go for it.

Rider 10-06-2008 09:34 AM

As big and ugly as my stock exhaust is... it's staying stock. How much power do I really need.. -1 on the front sprocket will get you better results for about 1/100TH of the cost of a full system.

Cutty72 10-06-2008 07:50 PM

the 1125 will get a different exhaust eventually. Just gotta find one that looks and sounds good. I don't care if it gives me more power or not, as long as it doesn't negatively affect my torque curve i'm good :dthumb:

Quick281 10-06-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 76993)
Just gotta find one that looks and sounds good. I don't care if it gives me more power or not, as long as it doesn't negatively affect my torque curve i'm good :dthumb:

Thats more or less how I feel. I like bang for the buck stuff, but I think I would enjoy the look and sound on top of having seperated myself away from every other Gixxer out there, even if only by a little bit.

Gunther1000 10-15-2008 02:04 PM

Did you get a look at the Micron GP style slip ons? They are the best sound and looks for the money I think. I have the larger version on my bike and love the sound. Someday a full system will maybe replace it but it suits me just fine for the price. BTW Race fit was my second choice... With the black frame the powder coated black makes for a nice match.

Quick281 10-15-2008 02:16 PM

I haven't really looked around but I will probably spend some looking at other makes. One thing that I really like is the low tip, angled exhaust. Has made me a huge fan of low exhausts versus the more traditional high pipe.

Rider 10-15-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther1000 (Post 80046)
Did you get a look at the Micron GP style slip ons? They are the best sound and looks for the money I think. I have the larger version on my bike and love the sound. Someday a full system will maybe replace it but it suits me just fine for the price. BTW Race fit was my second choice... With the black frame the powder coated black makes for a nice match.

The "Whale Penis" is a nice looking setup. It sounds good too. There is a guy here in town that has an 07 750 with one on it.

Amber Lamps 10-15-2008 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well,for sound Two Bros is nuts! I put one on a buddy's bike a few months ago and DAMN!!! I love the looks of the Taylor Made and all of their stuff is top drawer but,um no mention of Akrapovic?

Asfar as there being "other" accessories you could buy for your bike.... Well,sure there is but you have to start somewhere! I almost always get an exhaust for a new bike. Heck,some of my bikes never made it out of the dealership with stock! At the end of the day you have form vs function... which do you care most about? Besides,doesn't your bike come with adjustable foot pegs? One of the best stock suspensions money can buy? Some seriously light wheels? Etc.

We've all had plenty of "track day" arguments here but maybe the kid doesn't want to risk getting taken out on turn 3 by some dipshit and would rather have a cool sounding exhaust. I agree that for $700 Racetech would hook you the fuck up! but wait,how tall and heavy is Quick? If he falls in the magic zone (and the more experienced guys know what I mean),the stock suspension may be perfect for him!

I don't know this guy personally,maybe he's not trying to blast thru the mountains of Colo or the tail of the Dragon. Maybe,he's not trying to be the next Nicky Hayden at the track. Maybe the guy just wants a cool looking and sounding bike to cruise the strip,pick up chicks,hang with his buds and rack up a few twisty mile every once in a while,ya know?

Amber Lamps 10-15-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick281 (Post 80055)
I haven't really looked around but I will probably spend some looking at other makes. One thing that I really like is the low tip, angled exhaust. Has made me a huge fan of low exhausts versus the more traditional high pipe.

HEY!!! j/k I almost bought an '07 just so I could get the Taylor Made exhast and get that look!:drool:

BobTheBiker 10-15-2008 07:30 PM

I'd spend the money however it makes me happiest, which is exactly what you should do. I"m actually going the opposite of many people and putting a stock exhaust back on my Hurricane.

Dnyce 10-16-2008 03:10 AM

can u just gut the stock one? that would get u some sound, and it already looks gd....save ya some cash.

on the other hand, just buy what looks/sounds the best to YOU. youtube is your friend. no1 gets a slip-on for power, thats retarded.

Amber Lamps 10-16-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dnyce (Post 80211)
can u just gut the stock one? that would get u some sound, and it already looks gd....save ya some cash.

on the other hand, just buy what looks/sounds the best to YOU. youtube is your friend. no1 gets a slip-on for power, thats retarded.

Total truth! btw back in the "old days" to gain hp in one area you had to take it from somewhere else. That is no longer exactly true. With fi the computer will compensate with more fuel if you increase the flow of air in the system. Of course,without a closed loop system it's not always perfect but that's why they make power commanders.