Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Stunting (secret supermoto forum) (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Did some offroading with my bike yesterday.. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=734)

Amber Lamps 03-23-2008 09:38 PM

Did some offroading with my bike yesterday..

Yea,my dumb ass decided to get froggy and do a high speed wheelie on a windy day. Yep,bad idea...

NONE_too_SOFT 03-23-2008 09:39 PM

so is your bike in pieces? or did you just get a little off course?

OneSickPsycho 03-23-2008 09:45 PM

:nopicsbs:

Trip 03-23-2008 09:51 PM

You ok? Damage?

Amber Lamps 03-23-2008 10:08 PM

Well,I went up at 70mph and shifted into 3rd to about 120mph and held it. Fucking gust of wind knocked me sideways,so I ended up bringing it down on the right side of the tire. Instant tank slapper! I couldn't get control before the road curved and ended up going off road and into a ditch for about 1/4 mile. I managed to get control of the bike and get it out of the ditch and back onto the road. Btw when I re-entered the road I was doing 74 mph(I looked). Heck,the scariest part of the whole ordeal was I almost forgot to pump my brake lever before the stop sign where the road crosses the highway.

One of the things that I try to convey to guys who ask me for riding advice has always been. Don't panic. I've seen too many crashes in my life and I bet 75% could have been avoided if the rider hadn't paniced. If I had even thought about slamming on the brakes during this situation,I would have crashed.Period. If I would have abruptly cut the throttle at anytime I would have crashed.Period. The other thing I usually tell guys,is for them to consider the place and conditions and to ride accordingly. That's the rule I failed to follow yesterday. I'll endeavor to follow my own advice from now on...

marko138 03-23-2008 10:09 PM

So you didn't go down at all? Thats impressive.

Trip 03-23-2008 10:12 PM

Nice save, yeah it's hard to get people to not let off the throttle and not brake in panic situations.

Mr Lefty 03-23-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 22019)
Nice save, yeah it's hard to get people to not let off the throttle and not brake in panic situations.

see I know not to brake... but trying not to roll off would be hard for me... it's my first instinct.

OneSickPsycho 03-23-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 22016)
Well,I went up at 70mph and shifted into 3rd to about 120mph and held it. Fucking gust of wind knocked me sideways,so I ended up bringing it down on the right side of the tire. Instant tank slapper! I couldn't get control before the road curved and ended up going off road and into a ditch for about 1/4 mile. I managed to get control of the bike and get it out of the ditch and back onto the road. Btw when I re-entered the road I was doing 74 mph(I looked). Heck,the scariest part of the whole ordeal was I almost forgot to pump my brake lever before the stop sign where the road crosses the highway.

One of the things that I try to convey to guys who ask me for riding advice has always been. Don't panic. I've seen too many crashes in my life and I bet 75% could have been avoided if the rider hadn't paniced. If I had even thought about slamming on the brakes during this situation,I would have crashed.Period. If I would have abruptly cut the throttle at anytime I would have crashed.Period. The other thing I usually tell guys,is for them to consider the place and conditions and to ride accordingly. That's the rule I failed to follow yesterday. I'll endeavor to follow my own advice from now on...

I got one... how about, "don't ride like me"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 22023)
see I know not to brake... but trying not to roll off would be hard for me... it's my first instinct.

Rolling off is one thing... cutting is another...

Mr Lefty 03-23-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 22026)
Rolling off is one thing... cutting is another...

yeah I roll off... I don't ever cutt my throttle quickly... even when breaking.. it's a slow roll off... a blip and a down shift...

well I shouldn't say never... I've cut it completely twice in panic stops... almost killed the motor in the process

Amber Lamps 03-23-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 22017)
So you didn't go down at all? Thats impressive.

Yea,I guess...I just don't like to do crap like that. I knew the conditions weren't right and I let my exuberance get the best of me. Apparently,it was VERY impressive to the kids I was with because that's all they talked about today while we were working on Chunky's bike(see stoppie thread). I know alot of people here and on :twf: think I'm a "squid" and I'm sure this doesn't help but when I do this kind of shit I make damn sure there's no chance of injury to anyone else. I made sure I was far away from the rest of the pack. I believe people can do whatever they want as long as there's no chance of injury to someone else.

OneSickPsycho 03-23-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 22035)
Yea,I guess...I just don't like to do crap like that. I knew the conditions weren't right and I let my exuberance get the best of me. Apparently,it was VERY impressive to the kids I was with because that's all they talked about today while we were working on Chunky's bike(see stoppie thread). I know alot of people here and on :twf: think I'm a "squid" and I'm sure this doesn't help but when I do this kind of shit I make damn sure there's no chance of injury to anyone else. I made sure I was far away from the rest of the pack. I believe people can do whatever they want as long as there's no chance of injury to someone else.

We all do stupid shit...

NONE_too_SOFT 03-23-2008 10:28 PM

usually these things happen too quick for panic... every close call i've had, i've saved my ass because of practice... quick stopping, swervering... I brushed up against deaths robe last summer in the form of a black mustang coming straight at me in my lane... everything happened so quick, by the time i picked my bike up i dont think i had taken a single breath in 5 minutes.

experience saved your ass... it should have kept your front tire on the ground too though.

Mr Lefty 03-23-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 22035)

I wish that it were that simple... but no matter what you do... it'll effect someone else... you kill your self on a road it'll create another stat that'll raise everyones insurance, cause cops to crack down just a bit harder on the local motorcycle population, your family and friends will be hurt...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 22037)
We all do stupid shit...

yup! god know's i've done some really stupid shit... especially in my truck

Amber Lamps 03-23-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 22039)
usually these things happen too quick for panic... every close call i've had, i've saved my ass because of practice... quick stopping, swervering... I brushed up against deaths robe last summer in the form of a black mustang coming straight at me in my lane... everything happened so quick, by the time i picked my bike up i dont think i had taken a single breath in 5 minutes.

experience saved your ass... it should have kept your front tire on the ground too though.

Yeah well what fun would that be? Hey I enjoy doing occasional wheelies and stoppies. I know the risks and I accept them. Heck,I don't drink,I don't smoke,I don't do any drugs...I guess we all have to pick our own way to kill ourselves. Besides, considering recent life threatening events in my life have taught me that no matter how "safe" you play it. Life still has a way of coming to an end...

dReWpY 03-24-2008 12:02 PM

nothing wrong with lifting the front end...

Amber Lamps 03-24-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 22040)
I wish that it were that simple... but no matter what you do... it'll effect someone else... you kill your self on a road it'll create another stat that'll raise everyones insurance, cause cops to crack down just a bit harder on the local motorcycle population, your family and friends will be hurt...

yup! god know's i've done some really stupid shit... especially in my truck

Yea well,if you take the "if you crash it'll raise everyone's insurance rates" arguement to it's logical conclusion,none of us would ride at all. In the eyes of the insurance company,a crash is a crash. It's all numbers and stats. If you can prove more riders crash doing wheelies than in traffic.... Shit,some of you guys are talking about getting on the track and if you crash claiming it against your insurance. What's that gonna do to my rates? Trip rightfully went to the doctor after his crash,should I start looking for a rate increase in my medical insurance? Hey,everyone that smokes/drinks should stop since they're affecting my medical insurance. For that matter,anyone who does ANYTHING that causes the insurance industry to have to pay out,must stop now!!! That includes having babies!

As far as the police,we have a "agreed" upon spot where everyone stunts. We keep it off the main roads,the cops don't bother us. If you look,you can find similiar arrangements in most cities/areas. Infact,when Chunky crashed doing a stoppie there was a Deputy watching. He came over and asked if we needed a tow truck. I haven't lived here that long but I guess it's not unusual for bored cops to come and watch these guys stunt.

I don't have any family and all my friends know I ride so... Bottom line,I quite frankly,care more about my own happiness than I do anyone elses. If I listened to "family and friends",I wouldn't ride at all. Who here doesn't have at least one person who doesn't/didn't want them to ride motorcycles? Living your life for others sure has a noble ring to it but there's nothing noble about lying on your deathbed regretting all the things you'd wish you'd done in your life...

fpzx10 03-24-2008 03:11 PM

Glad you're ok :dthumb:

Amber Lamps 03-24-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpzx10 (Post 22413)
Glad you're ok :dthumb:

Thanks bro!

OneSickPsycho 03-24-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 22342)
Yea well,if you take the "if you crash it'll raise everyone's insurance rates" arguement to it's logical conclusion,none of us would ride at all. In the eyes of the insurance company,a crash is a crash. It's all numbers and stats. If you can prove more riders crash doing wheelies than in traffic.... Shit,some of you guys are talking about getting on the track and if you crash claiming it against your insurance. What's that gonna do to my rates? Trip rightfully went to the doctor after his crash,should I start looking for a rate increase in my medical insurance? Hey,everyone that smokes/drinks should stop since they're affecting my medical insurance. For that matter,anyone who does ANYTHING that causes the insurance industry to have to pay out,must stop now!!! That includes having babies!

As far as the police,we have a "agreed" upon spot where everyone stunts. We keep it off the main roads,the cops don't bother us. If you look,you can find similiar arrangements in most cities/areas. Infact,when Chunky crashed doing a stoppie there was a Deputy watching. He came over and asked if we needed a tow truck. I haven't lived here that long but I guess it's not unusual for bored cops to come and watch these guys stunt.

I don't have any family and all my friends know I ride so... Bottom line,I quite frankly,care more about my own happiness than I do anyone elses. If I listened to "family and friends",I wouldn't ride at all. Who here doesn't have at least one person who doesn't/didn't want them to ride motorcycles? Living your life for others sure has a noble ring to it but there's nothing noble about lying on your deathbed regretting all the things you'd wish you'd done in your life...

Let's be serious too... Insurance rates do nothing based upon numbers of claims... Ask yourself why SUV's have such high insurance rates... It's cause they're popular... nothing more.

Amber Lamps 03-25-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 22648)
Let's be serious too... Insurance rates do nothing based upon numbers of claims... Ask yourself why SUV's have such high insurance rates... It's cause they're popular... nothing more.

Aha! Something I know a little bit about. Insurance rates are based on "actuary(sp) tables". Basically,they take the exact vehicle,the type of person,the area of the country and plug it in to get the rate.

First vehicle info; you're right that popularity plays a role in determining a vehicle's rate index. The more there are,the more claims. They take the number of claims (coll and comp)involving a particular vehicle against the total number of claims. Obviously,if there are more of a vehicle,there'll be more claims. Suvs have a very high incidence of roll overs and are involved in a great number of fender benders. Probably due to distracted parents. Note: when I first got my 'Busa,the ins. rate was approx. half that of a GSXR600 because it was listed as a "sport tourer" and the number of claims were low.

Second personal info; age,driving record,single/married,dependents,credit report,etc. They take these figures and see where you fall in. Apparently, a 19 year old single guy is more likely to make a claim than a 53 year old, married fella.

Third area of the country; this takes into effect the number of claims in your location. Crime rates,weather,etc all play a part in this table. You're more likely to get your vehicle stolen in L.A. but you're more likely to crash it in Dec in Michigan.

Basically,they take their base rate,what they would charge the "ideal driver", with the "ideal vehicle", in the "ideal area" of the country and go from there. You pick up multipliers based on how far you stray from the "ideal". Insurance is a highly competative and gov't regulated business. I doubt that they make decisions based on whimsy.

OneSickPsycho 03-25-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 22747)
Aha! Something I know a little bit about. Insurance rates are based on "actuary(sp) tables". Basically,they take the exact vehicle,the type of person,the area of the country and plug it in to get the rate.

First vehicle info; you're right that popularity plays a role in determining a vehicle's rate index. The more there are,the more claims. They take the number of claims (coll and comp)involving a particular vehicle against the total number of claims. Obviously,if there are more of a vehicle,there'll be more claims. Suvs have a very high incidence of roll overs and are involved in a great number of fender benders. Probably due to distracted parents. Note: when I first got my 'Busa,the ins. rate was approx. half that of a GSXR600 because it was listed as a "sport tourer" and the number of claims were low.

Second personal info; age,driving record,single/married,dependents,credit report,etc. They take these figures and see where you fall in. Apparently, a 19 year old single guy is more likely to make a claim than a 53 year old, married fella.

Third area of the country; this takes into effect the number of claims in your location. Crime rates,weather,etc all play a part in this table. You're more likely to get your vehicle stolen in L.A. but you're more likely to crash it in Dec in Michigan.

Basically,they take their base rate,what they would charge the "ideal driver", with the "ideal vehicle", in the "ideal area" of the country and go from there. You pick up multipliers based on how far you stray from the "ideal". Insurance is a highly competative and gov't regulated business. I doubt that they make decisions based on whimsy.

So if what you're saying is true... if I buy a bike that nobody else has... and I crash it... I do nothing to affect your insurance rates... I might even help them!

Amber Lamps 03-25-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 22782)
So if what you're saying is true... if I buy a bike that nobody else has... and I crash it... I do nothing to affect your insurance rates... I might even help them!

Hmmm...as far as bikes go they group them by type and base their rates accordingly. When I had my V-Max I was amazed that the rate was cheaper than it was on a FJ1200. Alot of the differences in rates come from how the underwriters group your particular bike.

LaFemmes 03-25-2008 01:09 PM

Ouch on the tank slapper.. (been there done that):(
Glad your okay.

dReWpY 03-25-2008 06:24 PM

i dont know how the rc is rated, but is a 1000cc SS and its not much more then the 636cc kawi

but i do like your post about not caring about others ideas and only your happyness, im not being sarcastic, if more ppl thought you and I, there would be more inteligent riders out there, instead of second guessing newbs

i would rep you if i could

Amber Lamps 03-25-2008 06:41 PM

thanks,buddy!

itgirl 03-25-2008 06:51 PM

i wish i knew how to wheelie. it's the only squidly desire i have. nice save, and for being man enough to say how dumb it was to do that.

Captain Morgan 03-26-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 22974)
Hmmm...as far as bikes go they group them by type and base their rates accordingly. When I had my V-Max I was amazed that the rate was cheaper than it was on a FJ1200. Alot of the differences in rates come from how the underwriters group your particular bike.

It also depends on the insurance company. For instance, State Farm rates based on engine size, not on bike type. Farmers rates based on bike type. To insure the R6 with Farmers (actually Foremost) was something insane like $1500/year. With State Farm it was $600/year. Exact same bike, exact same rider, exact same record, just different company. Not sure if it's still that way or not since I haven't ridden in almost 3 years.

BTW, nice save.

Amber Lamps 03-26-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 23590)
It also depends on the insurance company. For instance, State Farm rates based on engine size, not on bike type. Farmers rates based on bike type. To insure the R6 with Farmers (actually Foremost) was something insane like $1500/year. With State Farm it was $600/year. Exact same bike, exact same rider, exact same record, just different company. Not sure if it's still that way or not since I haven't ridden in almost 3 years.

BTW, nice save.

Thanks and I also use State Farm for the same reason. I was speaking in general terms for autos. Although,even State Farm uses the model to determine comprehensive. Apparently, GSXR1000s are one of the most stolen bikes around here. Thus a higher comp portion of your ins. They want $200+ more down here than in MI most of which is comp. same guy,same bike,different location.

ceo012384 03-28-2008 11:18 AM

Wow that certainly sounds like a pucker moment for sure.

Pics of the carnage, motherfucker!

Amber Lamps 03-28-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 24375)
Wow that certainly sounds like a pucker moment for sure.

Pics of the carnage, motherfucker!

I didn't crash so there isn't any cumgoblin! I hear you had a moment too! I hope you didn't have to scrape any poo out of your panties after that "wheelie"!

vabarber2 03-28-2008 08:44 PM

Impressive indeed. Good save man. Glad your ok, ride safe.

Amber Lamps 03-29-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vabarber2 (Post 24618)
Impressive indeed. Good save man. Glad your ok, ride safe.

Thanks man! God I hate women! This bitch has been texting me since 2:30am begging for cock. I finally say ok and now she's all I think I'm too drunk to drive. Yeesh!

Dave 03-29-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 24833)
Thanks man! God I hate women! This bitch has been texting me since 2:30am begging for cock. I finally say ok and now she's all I think I'm too drunk to drive. Yeesh!

lol go get her and :diitb:

Mr Lefty 03-29-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 24862)
lol go get her and :diitb:

fuck that... if SHE wants it make her come to you... otherwise you'll end up as her bitch, at least in her mind...

Amber Lamps 03-29-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 24865)
fuck that... if SHE wants it make her come to you... otherwise you'll end up as her bitch, at least in her mind...

EXACTLY!!! That's why I "handled my business" and went to bed. Fuck that! Besides she lives like 25 miles away,there's no pussy good enough to drive that far at 4:30 in the morning for!!

Full Throttle 04-09-2008 06:21 PM

Dude seems like a miracle that you made it out of that okay. All there needed to be was a rock or something in the ditch and that was it.

I have the same prob as ebbs and ill not brake but will let off the throttle in a heartbeat and i know thats not good but anyways good to hear your okay man and dont do anymore wheelies on roads that end abruptly okay lol....