Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How hot is too hot for you? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8822)

tached1000rr 06-21-2009 09:36 AM

How hot is too hot for you?

Ok here in the south, the temps are finally creeping to their June-August norms. For those of you who joy ride and use your bikes for recreation/leisure how hot is too hot before you say no not today?

marko138 06-21-2009 09:43 AM

Bought mid-80's and I'm done. Depends on the humidity too.

tached1000rr 06-21-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 228924)

Here you would only be able to ride very early in the a.m or at night(maybe)

marko138 06-21-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 228925)
Here you would only be able to ride very early in the a.m or at night(maybe)

No doubt.

tached1000rr 06-21-2009 09:51 AM

The humidity here sucks too. I don't know how the folks in Florida ever get to ride. Especially knowing that it will rain any given minute.

CrazyKell 06-21-2009 10:11 AM

I don't know how hot too hot is for me. I've never experienced it. :idk:

I do sometimes change my riding depending on the heat/humidity. Here, humidity kills us so I'll just go at night or in the morning on those kinds of days.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much good to go in any kind of heat.

I complain about the snow all winter long so I figure I can't really complain about the heat too. :)

Mr Lefty 06-21-2009 10:51 AM

I ride home every day in the mid 80's with mississippi humidity. No issues. Haven't seen a day yet too hot to ride... Just no place to ride to in ms.

tached1000rr 06-21-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 228934)
I ride home every day in the mid 80's with mississippi humidity. No issues. Haven't seen a day yet too hot to ride... Just no place to ride to in ms.

I commute to work on my bike and the mornings are not that bad, the ride home has not been bad as of yet but that's because of the rain we've had on the way home. I don't mind arriving home from work sweaty, just don't want to arrive to work wet or sweaty.

Tmall 06-21-2009 11:20 AM

I can't do heat. High 20's and I'm using the car with AC cranked.

Mr Lefty 06-21-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 228944)
I commute to work on my bike and the mornings are not that bad, the ride home has not been bad as of yet but that's because of the rain we've had on the way home. I don't mind arriving home from work sweaty, just don't want to arrive to work wet or sweaty.

I hear ya... I'm lucky that I change at work and have showers there if I need'm... but it's only like 70 or so when I go to work... so I don't even sweat... riding home I sweat a lot... a lot more traffic too...

I do well in the heat though... always have...

azoomm 06-21-2009 11:45 AM

hot :lol: It's like surface of the sun hot here lately... I'll ride, given the chance...

JoshuaTree 06-21-2009 11:50 AM

Its never really 'too hot' to ride, its only a matter of how much water you take with you and how frequently you stop to rehydrate... :idk:

redflip

Amber Lamps 06-21-2009 12:02 PM

Yea it's been pushing 100 around here lately and it hampers how much I'll ride seriously. If it's too hot for full gear (imo, of course) I may go for a light cruise in partial gear. It all depends, I may just stay my dumb ass at home as well.:idk:

No Worries 06-21-2009 01:23 PM

Geez, has air conditioning made us into a country of wimps? This spring the temps have been way below average, but I rode in 105 degrees last year. I used to ride in any temps. But after an accident on a patch of ice in the early 80's, as long as the temps are over 40 degrees, I'm riding.

Rangerscott 06-21-2009 02:43 PM

Its just when I'm stuck in traffic that brings the suck on a hot day. As long as I'm moving, its all good in the hood.

JoJoYZF 06-21-2009 02:47 PM

The heat wont stop me from riding, it will limit how long I ride for though. Short trips to work arent a problem regardless of how hot it gets but I wont go ride for a few hours at a time if its over 90.

CrazyKell 06-21-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 228981)
The heat wont stop me from riding, it will limit how long I ride for though. Short trips to work arent a problem regardless of how hot it gets but I wont go ride for a few hours at a time if its over 90.

I'm the opposite. I won't ride to work in the stinkin' heat because it sucks to get to work all sweaty (no showers at my work).

Riding season here is limited though so I take every chance I get considering it's usually only from April to October. This year has been unseasonably cool though so I've hardly ridden.

Rangerscott 06-21-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaTree (Post 228950)
Its never really 'too hot' to ride, its only a matter of how much water you take with you and how frequently you stop to rehydrate... :idk:

redflip

I'm able to use this without stopping.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4645499

Amber Lamps 06-21-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 229036)
I'm able to use this without stopping.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4645499

You know I honestly love to ride but I don't think that not stopping for a drink is that important...:idk: Besides once in a while you might see some :boobs: if you stop!!!

Gas Man 06-21-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 228924)

I think I'm with ya on this...

Depends too on the destination...

Mikey 06-22-2009 12:19 AM

I'm a Phoenix native and I currently live in Okinawa. I ride year-round. There's no such thing as too hot.

pauldun170 06-22-2009 12:36 AM

Don't really have a "max"temp I'll go out in.

Been out 100+ weather with the leather jacket, jeans. gloves and boots.
If it's above 95 and humid I'll have my water pack.

marko138 06-22-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 229105)
I think I'm with ya on this...

Depends too on the destination...

What can I say, I'm a fair weather rider. I ride for fun. When I'm baking in my gear it's not fun.

Rider 06-22-2009 10:08 AM

I was in Jax last week and I saw motherfuckers still out riding in mid 90's. Most of them rode with no gear(helmet, jacket or gloves), but they were still out riding.

azoomm 06-22-2009 10:44 AM

It's supposed to be 101 on Friday - for my trackday.... riding is riding - hydration is KEY.

tached1000rr 06-22-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 229251)
It's supposed to be 101 on Friday - for my trackday.... riding is riding - hydration is KEY.

I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I think that's a different story than riding on the street in terms of commuting to work for example. Most days I go to work I have to dress at minimum "business casual" It was kinda cool to arrive for our board meeting the other morning on my bike though. Another board member said "I'm so jealous, I started to ride my bike this morning" lol..

So I agree that destination is a factor, I don't want to show up at work, a funeral, a wedding, a church, sweaty and stinky:lol:

Amber Lamps 06-22-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 229188)
What can I say, I'm a fair weather rider. I ride for fun. When I'm baking in my gear it's not fun.

I totally agree! When I was a kid, all I had was a motorcycle, so I had little choice. It was freeze, burn, walk or take the bus. Now if it's too nasty, in any way, imo, I take the car. I always find it funny, the guys that brag about riding when it's shitty out like it's some badge of honor or something!:lol: I don't need a hydration pack thankyou, my car came with cup holders.:wink:

Rider 06-22-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 229256)
I totally agree! When I was a kid, all I had was a motorcycle, so I had little choice. It was freeze, burn, walk or take the bus. Now if it's too nasty, in any way, imo, I take the car. I always find it funny, the guys that brag about riding when it's shitty out like it's some badge of honor or something!:lol: I don't need a hydration pack thankyou, my car came with cup holders.:wink:

Hey Lon, what part of NC are you in? I drove through NC to and from FL. Western NC is probably the nicest place I've ever driven though

marko138 06-22-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 229256)

Exactly. And I was in NC all of last week. Odd that I didn't look you up. :lol:

t-homo 06-22-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 229271)

:lmao: What a dick.

Amber Lamps 06-22-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 229263)
Hey Lon, what part of NC are you in? I drove through NC to and from FL. Western NC is probably the nicest place I've ever driven though

Eastern. Yea west NC is where it's at for the great roads and scenery!!! I mean, we have the beaches and etc so it's a toss up.:idk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 229271)

How unusual, I would have expected to be the first person you called.:lol:

Gas Man 06-22-2009 01:16 PM

So its Tigger, Marko, and me that are true up honest.

For example... today, I had a work physical to go to this morning. Didn't take the bike cause I also had a hearing test. Even just the wind noise could alter its results. Now I will be hiding in the house the rest of the afternoon... Its hot out. But its cool and comfy in the house....

dReWpY 06-22-2009 01:46 PM

i went out yesterday with psycho and it read 98* at everydamn bank temp sign, it wasnt bad when we were out in the country but hwne we hit towns and stop lights it was murder

Trip 06-22-2009 01:52 PM

when my leathers start melting into the seat, then it's too hot to ride.

azoomm 06-22-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 229363)
So its Tigger, Marko, and me that are true up honest.

For example... today, I had a work physical to go to this morning. Didn't take the bike cause I also had a hearing test. Even just the wind noise could alter its results. Now I will be hiding in the house the rest of the afternoon... Its hot out. But its cool and comfy in the house....

Honest? Honest about what?

Guess what I'd tell you if you wanted to drive your car at one of my trackdays because you were too hot? :lol:

When I would commute - I wouldn't ride when it was hot out, that was because I needed to look presentable in the office. And, riding a motorcycle when it's 100 degrees out makes you anything but presentable. It's a little different when EVERYONE is hot and stinky... and dammit, the classroom is more than ripe in the afternoon. :panic:

MissHell 06-22-2009 02:01 PM

It doesn't normally get out of the 80's here. I don't recall it ever being too hot to ride, for me. :whistle:

If I lived somewhere, were it got into the 100's - I think that is too hot.

rogue 06-22-2009 02:03 PM

Temps here have been hitting close too 100, with the heat index and "feels like" temps in the triple digits. Even at 9pm when I get off work, it's not alot better. Temps are still in the low-mid 90's. And I still ride. I have to. It's my only transportation right now.

IMO, commuting to work is worse than pleasure riding, even though it's just a short ride. I have tons of red lights to run through, most of which catch me. Traffic flow through downtown is backed up half the time with my average speed being around 30mph. Humidity with these temps make it almost unbearable but I've learned a trick or two that helps.

When commuting to work or just pleasure riding, I spray my shirt down with cool water before I get on the bike. (I ride in mesh so I don't know how well this would work for you leather/textile wearers) Even at the slow pace through town this helps tremendously. I have a camel pak I take and take plenty of stops when out pleasure riding. Each stop I rewet my shirt. Commuting I don't take the camel pak since it's only a half hour commute at most. Wetting my shirt is a definite help any time I'm riding in this gawd awful heat and humidity.....

racedoll 06-22-2009 09:35 PM

I don't mind he heat, but I don't care for my bike to be sitting out in it all day... like at work. I won't ride on really hot days because I don't want it out there all day baking the tires.

Amber Lamps 06-22-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue (Post 229392)
Temps here have been hitting close too 100, with the heat index and "feels like" temps in the triple digits. Even at 9pm when I get off work, it's not alot better. Temps are still in the low-mid 90's. And I still ride. I have to. It's my only transportation right now.

IMO, commuting to work is worse than pleasure riding, even though it's just a short ride. I have tons of red lights to run through, most of which catch me. Traffic flow through downtown is backed up half the time with my average speed being around 30mph. Humidity with these temps make it almost unbearable but I've learned a trick or two that helps.

When commuting to work or just pleasure riding, I spray my shirt down with cool water before I get on the bike. (I ride in mesh so I don't know how well this would work for you leather/textile wearers) Even at the slow pace through town this helps tremendously. I have a camel pak I take and take plenty of stops when out pleasure riding. Each stop I rewet my shirt. Commuting I don't take the camel pak since it's only a half hour commute at most. Wetting my shirt is a definite help any time I'm riding in this gawd awful heat and humidity.....

Not to mention that wetting your shirt has probably gotten you a free sundae or two at the Dairy Queen!:lol:

Particle Man 06-22-2009 10:07 PM

if plastic starts melting, it's too freakin' hot.

MissHell 06-22-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 229708)
Not to mention that wetting your shirt has probably gotten you a free sundae or two at the Dairy Queen!:lol:

:lol

rogue 06-22-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 229708)

We don't have Dairy Queens here. :p

Plus I won't wear a shirt that can be seen through wet. I don't want to scare people. :lol:

Fleck750 06-24-2009 10:14 AM

Has been in the high 90's this week. I can finally wear my mesh, been too cold for it.

Am I warm? Yes. Will I go w/o my gear? NO.

The other transportation option is the p/u with no air. Bike is the coolest choice.

marko138 06-24-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 230511)
Has been in the high 90's this week. I can finally wear my mesh, been too cold for it.

Am I warm? Yes. Will I go w/o my gear? NO.

The other transportation option is the p/u with no air. Bike is the coolest choice.

I guess if those are your options the bike wins every time.

Fleck750 06-24-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 230518)
I guess if those are your options the bike wins every time.

As long as lightening bolts and hail aren't involved, I'm on the bike. :D

But I've got to get another Joe Rocket mesh. The mesh holes on the Icon are tiny, and the air flow sucks.

Big holes are important in the summer. :bonk:

Amber Lamps 06-24-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 230531)

But I've got to get another Joe Rocket mesh. The mesh holes on the Icon are tiny, and the air flow sucks.

If you don't mind "ugly" Jordan logos, one can be had from New Enough for about $80 shipped.

marko138 06-24-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 230531)

I've got a JR Phoenix mesh I roll in...good air flow on that sucker.

Fleck750 06-24-2009 10:36 AM

Got my heart set on a Joe Rocket reactor.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...2.0_Jacket.jpg

z06boy 06-24-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 230544)
Got my heart set on a Joe Rocket reactor.

I got that jacket...pretty decent I must say. Old picture from when we first got the bikes in 07 but at least it shows the jacket.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D550/ry%3D400/

skiergirl 06-24-2009 11:17 AM

It's never too hot for a track day! :rockout:

tached1000rr 06-24-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 230595)
I got that jacket...pretty decent I must say. Old picture from when we first got the bikes in 07 but at least it shows the jacket.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D550/ry%3D400/

How tall is your wife? R6 been lowered at all?

z06boy 06-24-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 230599)
How tall is your wife? R6 been lowered at all?

5'5" and yes the R6 was lowered slightly due to it having the highest in class seat height.

Her next bike will fit her better as far as seat height and will not be lowered.

Just to be clear to all that reads this...she has had NO issues riding this bike other than having to be extra careful when going over some speed bumps or entering/exiting some steep driveways.

We thought about shaving the seat and raising it back up to stock height but she hasn't warmed up to that idea as of yet.

tached1000rr 06-24-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 230604)
5'5" and yes the R6 was lowered slightly due to it having the highest in class seat height.

Her next bike will fit her better as far as seat height and will not be lowered.

Just to be clear to all that reads this...she has had NO issues riding this bike other than having to be extra careful when going over some speed bumps or entering/exiting some steep driveways.

We thought about shaving the seat and raising it back up to stock height but she hasn't warmed up to that idea as of yet.

My wife is 5'1"-5'2" at best, I've lowered both of the bikes she's ridden w/o issue and I would take both out and flog them pretty hard. She's just MUCH more confident being able to get both feet down versus only one and give where she does most of her riding (mountains) I don't blame her, if we were in Kansas or Florida perhaps but here lowering works best for her. Plus she's not going to be riding around here like Stoner or Bayliss anytime soon.

Lucky3623 06-24-2009 01:07 PM

Rode to work today... It's supposed to be in the 100's... the ride home is going to be a hot and wet one...

z06boy 06-24-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 230606)
My wife is 5'1"-5'2" at best, I've lowered both of the bikes she's ridden w/o issue and I would take both out and flog them pretty hard. She's just MUCH more confident being able to get both feet down versus only one and give where she does most of her riding (mountains) I don't blame her, if we were in Kansas or Florida perhaps but here lowering works best for her. Plus she's not going to be riding around here like Stoner or Bayliss anytime soon.

My wife was able to put both feet down on the GSXR but in 07 we didn't consider that bike...we got a deal buying two Yammy's and I was set on getting the R1 since I had owned one before and liked it.

I've caught flak about lowering the bike (online but go figure...everyone is an expert there :lol:) BUT I agree with you...she has had no issues at all either with the bike as far as riding it and she is much more confident being able to put her feet down since we have mountains not too far away from here as well. She's no Stoner or Bayliss either but has still managed to shrink her chicken strips pretty well. :lol:

101lifts2 06-24-2009 03:39 PM

Lowest Temp 49F
Highest Temp 127F

zippychickie636 06-24-2009 05:40 PM

lowest temp i rode in was 30F...oww..
highest temp so far only 90...but I loveee love loveee the heat so really there's no heat limit..has anyone else though been experiencing a shitload of rain lately?????

Digifox 06-24-2009 07:02 PM

I ride When ever i feel like it......

They day my bike...Erm..."died" out riding we had a Heat index of 98F and an Actual of i think 89-91F i was in Boots, Jeans, Textile Jacket and my Helmet....

racedoll 06-24-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 230606)
Plus she's not going to be riding around here like Stoner or Bayliss anytime soon.

Not that you know of anyway! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 230716)
I've caught flak about lowering the bike (online but go figure...everyone is an expert there :lol:) BUT I agree with you...she has had no issues at all either with the bike as far as riding it and she is much more confident being able to put her feet down since we have mountains not too far away from here as well. She's no Stoner or Bayliss either but has still managed to shrink her chicken strips pretty well. :lol:

I don't see any issue with lowering the bike. My only concern would be the handling of it after it being lowered. I suppose if done properly you wouldn't know the difference. I'm all about feeling comfortable on the bike. Mine is pretty tall too and in my riding boots I look like a ballerina on my tippy toes.

Amber Lamps 06-24-2009 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 230878)
Not that you know of anyway! :)

I don't see any issue with lowering the bike. My only concern would be the handling of it after it being lowered. I suppose if done properly you wouldn't know the difference. I'm all about feeling comfortable on the bike. Mine is pretty tall too and in my riding boots I look like a ballerina on my tippy toes.

Icon to the rescue!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tached1000rr 06-24-2009 09:39 PM

Tigger the front part of the sole on those boots are extremely thin, if only the front part had a thicker sole. Ok, picture it, a woman on her tippy toes, that tall heel part is not even touching the ground, they made that boot backwards:lol:

Amber Lamps 06-24-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 230893)
Tigger the front part of the sole on those boots are extremely thin, if only the front part had a thicker sole. Ok, picture it, a woman on her tippy toes, that tall heel part is not even touching the ground, they made that boot backwards:lol:

Naw goober! You can't make the toe any thicker or she can't shift! With the high heel at least her entire sole is making contact with the ground, instead of just a small portion.....

This,

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...ysrkqB_500.jpg

VS this,

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l.../ballerina.jpg

RACER X 06-25-2009 07:38 AM

that ICON boot is a joke as is most ICON gear IMO

i had a lady in my class brake her ankle cuz of something similar, that boot offers very little stability and is prone to make yu ankle roll over, hello sprained/broken ankle.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 230986)
that ICON boot is a joke as is most ICON gear IMO

i had a lady in my class brake her ankle cuz of something similar, that boot offers very little stability and is prone to make yu ankle roll over, hello sprained/broken ankle.

Aw, I thought all of the Icon haters were gone or converted....

Icon gear is just as protective as any other gear. It is made from the finest materials and in many cases, they use much thicker leather AND as any leather expert will tell you, they are superior in the fact that they overlay their designs as opposed to piecing them together as many companies do. The more seams, the weaker the garment. In fact my Icon jacket held up better than my Dainese jacket in a similar crash. I can understand dislike of the image or designs of the brand but there isn't any basis for your statement whatsoever. Besides, as far as I know, no one else makes a motorcycle specific boot like Icon's so if you're saying that some dumb bitch twisted her ankle wearing wedges well....:lol:

RACER X 06-25-2009 08:22 AM

you should know every crash is diff. , so when you say similar its not saying alot, unless you crashed at the same place, same time, same temp., etc. etc.

as for the boots, they are closed in stilleto's ain't a whole lot too see.

i'll take my BMW kevlar mesh over your icon mesh anyday.

when you compare ICON to JR then you have a case, when you compare ICON to vansons you don't.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 230996)
you should know every crash is diff. , so when you say similar its not saying alot, unless you crashed at the same place, same time, same temp., etc. etc.

as for the boots, they are closed in stilleto's ain't a whole lot too see.

i'll take my BMW kevlar mesh over your icon mesh anyday.

when you compare ICON to JR then you have a case, when you compare ICON to vansons you don't.

Hey I'll give you that! I had a Vanson Star jacket and I went down HARD! Other than some scrapes, it held up awesome but for $600+ dollars...:idk:

I also agree that you can't ever exactly compare two crashes, so I concede that but I appreciate the fact that you recognize my point about overlay vs seams. BTW it goes without saying then that just because you saw one crash with some breaking an ankle wearing "similar" boots doesn't mean that these will also cause a broken ankle...aha!

I also agree that there are vast differences in mesh jackets as well but I'll take Icon's armor over that BMW (Heine Gerick?) armor. Icon uses a proprietary dual density-two stage armor while most others use off the shelf single stage armor. It's funny a BMW guy wants to compare a $400+ jacket to a $150 jacket and claim superiority.:lol: Take a look in that jacket and tell me if it doesn't say "Made in China" on the inside. :lol: Also, Icon has God on their side because they put a St. Christopher's medallion in every jacket!:rockwoot:

Fleck750 06-25-2009 09:00 AM

Icon hater bandwagon.

The armor in Icon jackets doesn't stay in place, the stitching is weak, also.

The mesh is so tight that it allows for little air flow. Rode in a thunderstorm last night, barely got wet. It's suppose to be MESH, not a rain suit.

Fleck750 06-25-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 231005)
Hey I'll give you that! I had a Vanson Star jacket and I went down HARD! Other than some scrapes, it held up awesome but for $600+ dollars...:idk:

$600? Is that all?

I have wet dreams over this.

http://www.bikersstore.com/mm5/graph...01/0001_VA.jpg

z06boy 06-25-2009 09:12 AM

I don't really care for Icon but did buy one of their products the other night and so far so good...very comfortable and lightweight but still offers decent protection.

I bought the Accelerator boots that I posted about in another thread the other day to wear for shorter rides that I will be off the bike for awhile and will be standing/walking around and don't want to wear my squeaky azz A* boots.

For the longer rides and the higher spirited rides I will wear my A* SMX 4 boots.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 231008)
Icon hater bandwagon.

The armor in Icon jackets doesn't stay in place, the stitching is weak, also.

The mesh is so tight that it allows for little air flow. Rode in a thunderstorm last night, barely got wet. It's suppose to be MESH, not a rain suit.

Oh I won't argue mesh jackets at all! Especially their older stuff! It was made in the same factory as the A* mesh which is also junk imho. I have an A* mesh jacket that is super tight weave and didn't even come with a back pad!:panic: Hell, I've seen a Joe Rocket mesh jacket fall apart on impact, the armor was everywhere but on my buddy!:lol: I'll wear a mesh jacket once in a while but I don't consider them to be good protection. I put them in the better than nothing category.:idk:

As far as the armor staying in place while you're riding... are you sure you have the right size? I've never had armor move around while I was wearing it.:idk:

Fleck750 06-25-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 231016)
Oh I won't argue mesh jackets at all! Especially their older stuff! It was made in the same factory as the A* mesh which is also junk imho. I have an A* mesh jacket that is super tight weave and didn't even come with a back pad!:panic: Hell, I've seen a Joe Rocket mesh jacket fall apart on impact, the armor was everywhere but on my buddy!:lol: I'll wear a mesh jacket once in a while but I don't consider them to be good protection. I put them in the better than nothing category.:idk:

As far as the armor staying in place while you're riding... are you sure you have the right size? I've never had armor move around while I was wearing it.:idk:

It is the right size. I guess I got so used to my JR that this just feels wrong. Plus, I have no neck and this has a collar that chokes me, so I leave it unzipped and tuck the collar in.

And I'll fight you on JR mesh for crashability. Both the hubby and I have slide down the road in these and they held up very well. :poke: :D

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 231015)
I don't really care for Icon but did buy one of their products the other night and so far so good...very comfortable and lightweight but still offers decent protection.

I bought the Accelerator boots that I posted about in another thread the other day to wear for shorter rides that I will be off the bike for awhile and will be standing/walking around and don't want to wear my squeaky azz A* boots.

For the longer rides and the higher spirited rides I will wear my A* SMX 4 boots.

They have an "Air" version of that boot that is getting pretty rave reviews.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 231019)
It is the right size. I guess I got so used to my JR that this just feels wrong. Plus, I have no neck and this has a collar that chokes me, so I leave it unzipped and tuck the collar in.

And I'll fight you on JR mesh for crashability. Both the hubby and I have slide down the road in these and they held up very well. :poke: :D

Oh yea? Well, how did your jeans hold up? If they also did "very well" then allow me to introduce you to Krabill and Kaneman.:lol: I'm not saying that they offer zero protection, I'm saying it's not bet your ass protection. Question, if you had good success with the JR stuff why'd you change? Just curious.:idk:

Fleck750 06-25-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 231022)
Oh yea? Well, how did your jeans hold up? If they also did "very well" then allow me to introduce you to Krabill and Kaneman.:lol: I'm not saying that they offer zero protection, I'm saying it's not bet your ass protection. Question, if you had good success with the JR stuff why'd you change? Just curious.:idk:

You're talking to a woman, I can change mind anytime I want to. :D

Truth is the Icon Battlecry was just cooler than hell. Had to have it. :bash:

http://www.cyclegear.com/images/jack...ck_310x310.jpg

z06boy 06-25-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 231020)
They have an "Air" version of that boot that is getting pretty rave reviews.

Yeah the Tarmac or something like that ? They were the same price but I haven't seen any in person and the local Cyclegear had the Accelerants in stock so I could try them on. I'm glad I did because the size I bought isn't the same size of anyelse I've ordered and I would have had to send them back and exchange them. :lol:

Cyclegear matched the price that I had seen online so I got them.

RACER X 06-25-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 231005)

whats your skin and piece of mind worth ?

Quote:

I also agree that you can't ever exactly compare two crashes, so I concede that but I appreciate the fact that you recognize my point about overlay vs seams. BTW it goes without saying then that just because you saw one crash with some breaking an ankle wearing "similar" boots doesn't mean that these will also cause a broken ankle...aha!
overlay vs seams.....overlay sounds like it makes more sense, but then are so many dynamics in a crash. i'll take crash tested vs makes sense.

how are your riding boots made? w/ a high heel or low? whats it easier for women to walk in sandals or high heels, now add in an emergancy stop and having to plant your foot, and those boots are disaster waiting to happen. i'm of the better safe then sorry addage.

Quote:

I also agree that there are vast differences in mesh jackets as well but I'll take Icon's armor over that BMW (Heine Gerick?) armor. Icon uses a proprietary dual density-two stage armor while most others use off the shelf single stage armor. It's funny a BMW guy wants to compare a $400+ jacket to a $150 jacket and claim superiority.:lol: Take a look in that jacket and tell me if it doesn't say "Made in China" on the inside. :lol: Also, Icon has God on their side because they put a St. Christopher's medallion in every jacket!:rockwoot:
dunno who makes BMW gear/armor, my guess it's BMW. it does meet CE standards, does ICON ( i don't know.)

your skin your $, i'm not lookin to cheap out my gear. but thats me.

no made in china tag that i can find, no "made in" anywhere at a quick glance.

marko138 06-25-2009 10:45 AM

I'd reallly love a custom Vanson suit. And I own a pair of Icon gloves. I've had them for 3 seasons now. The build quality is not great. Velcro came unstitched from the wrist cuff. And they aren't terribly comfortable. But I will say this, they held up great in my get-off. No complaints about that. No busted seams and no spots where the leather wore through. So I can't fault their crashing ability.

These are what I have, Merc Long:

http://www.alivetoride.com/images/ic...oves_white.jpg

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 231052)
whats your skin and piece of mind worth ?

overlay vs seams.....overlay sounds like it makes more sense, but then are so many dynamics in a crash. i'll take crash tested vs makes sense.

how are your riding boots made? w/ a high heel or low? whats it easier for women to walk in sandals or high heels, now add in an emergancy stop and having to plant your foot, and those boots are disaster waiting to happen. i'm of the better safe then sorry addage.

dunno who makes BMW gear/armor, my guess it's BMW. it does meet CE standards, does ICON ( i don't know.)

your skin your $, i'm not lookin to cheap out my gear. but thats me.

no made in china tag that i can find, no "made in" anywhere at a quick glance.

Hahaha well, I posted the boots as a joke at first (not this again!) but came to Icon's defense when all of their gear was termed as junk! There is no way that BMW has a motorcycle gear factory bro, anymore than they make their own hats, headlights, tires, brakes, etc. :lol: I'm on hold with BMW (1 800 831 1117) right now, apparently they don't know where it's made either!:lol: Oh I just got an answer. They do outsource to "several" different countries and companies.:lol:

BTW I think even you have to agree it's unfair of you to judge Icon when you yourself admits to knowing basically nothing about their products.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 231059)
I'd reallly love a custom Vanson suit. And I own a pair of Icon gloves. I've had them for 3 seasons now. The build quality is not great. Velcro came unstitched from the wrist cuff. And they aren't terribly comfortable. But I will say this, they held up great in my get-off. No complaints about that. No busted seams and no spots where the leather wore through. So I can't fault their crashing ability.

These are what I have, Merc Long:

http://www.alivetoride.com/images/ic...oves_white.jpg

Yep I have a pair of those (short cuff $60) I wear with my Accelerant jacket. I had a strap break but they gave me new gloves. For the record, and we've had this fight before, I've also had Technic gloves fall apart (Technic said fuck you) and *GASP* a seam on a pair of $200 A* Gp Tech gloves fell apart after a couple months (btw A* was happy to replace them). I've also had very good results with their gloves in crashes.:rockwoot:

marko138 06-25-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 231135)
Yep I have a pair of those (short cuff $60) I wear with my Accelerant jacket. I had a strap break but they gave me new gloves. For the record, and we've had this fight before, I've also had Technic gloves fall apart (Technic said fuck you) and *GASP* a seam on a pair of $200 A* Gp Tech gloves fell apart after a couple months (btw A* was happy to replace them). I've also had very good results with their gloves in crashes.:rockwoot:

I've got Teknic leathers, held up in that same crash equally well.

azoomm 06-25-2009 01:09 PM

Sorry to break in with something on topic :lol:

Trackday tomorrow - it's supposed to be 105 :panic:

Perfed leathers FTMFW

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 231162)
Sorry to break in with something on topic :lol:

Trackday tomorrow - it's supposed to be 105 :panic:

Perfed leathers FTMFW

Sorry but this thread is in the "street riding" section so track days don't count as "on topic".:lol:

zippychickie636 06-25-2009 09:20 PM

schooled.

racedoll 06-25-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 230904)

This is how I feel when I wear my riding boots and trying to touch the ground!

It was too hot yesterday and today, plus it rained today. It's not so much too hot for me as I don't like my bike in the sun for all day.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 231497)
This is how I feel when I wear my riding boots and trying to touch the ground!

It was too hot yesterday and today, plus it rained today. It's not so much too hot for me as I don't like my bike in the sun for all day.

Okay here's the question, would it help iyho to have the heels extended so they also touch the ground or no? Just curious, I honestly think that the Icon Bombshell boots are a joke and should be worn by passengers at best or around the bedroom with a pair of white leather/pleather boy shorts, an unzipped jacket with nothing underneath and a grin but that's just me...:drool:

rogue 06-26-2009 12:39 AM

No they wouldn't. The heels are too high and too thin and wouldn't help hold weight.

When walking in high heel shoes, whether they're a pump style (spikey heels) or platformed (solid) most women balance their weight with the ball of the foot. Very little weight or balance actually goes towards the heel. The taller the heel, the more balance we place on the ball of our feet.

For example: when a woman walks in grass or dirt in high heels, the heel just leaves a small indention where it was. If our weight was actually distributed evenly, the spikey heel would sink. We're basically walking on the ball of our feet.

Why do you think women are more suspectible of twisting their ankles in high heels?

The heels on the back of the Icon boots would be more of a hindrince than a actual help. I'm already on my tip toes on my bike. Those boots would do nothing for me, except make my precarious balance even worse.

What would be a better, more possible help is having a thicker sole or a boot that's platformed with a solid bottom. However, a much thicker sole would make shifting very difficult or virtually impossible. I'd need a shifter I could adjust accordingly.