Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Electrical issues? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=22201)

Cutty72 04-06-2013 12:36 PM

Electrical issues?

Ok so I came back last night after a ride, and as I was parking my bike, it just died on me. Turned the key off, then on again and it fired right up. Ran for about 10 seconds, then died again. Both times when it died, the headlights went out also.
After it died the second time, the fuel pump no longer kicks in, headlights don't come on, and I get nothing at the starter button.

All the fuses are good and the battery is new. I'm going to pull the EBR ECM and put the stock one back in after class today and see if that helps. If not, I'm at a loss...

Any ideas? Sadly I left my repair manual at home, and I have limited tools. Any help is appreciated!

Cutty72 04-06-2013 03:59 PM

Culprit seems to be loose/broken wiring on the ignition switch. Have to get those fixed up, and then give them more room to move to hopefully eliminate further issues.

Cutty72 04-06-2013 10:22 PM

Well I got it soldered back together. One wire was completely broken off, and another was about half way there.
I don't have a grinder or dremel with me as I'm away from home. (picked up a cheap soldering iron at home depot) so I just pulled as much of the wires as I could up above the stay. It seems to work, no more pulling on the wires from the ignition, but we'll see how it works as I put miles on it.
For now, I'm just glad that I'm mobile again and was able to fix it myself in the parking lot!

njchopper87 04-07-2013 04:57 PM

Nice repair and detective work! The only thing I'd be able to do in that situation is curse at anything and everything that moves (and doesn't move) until I could get a hold of someone knowledgeable.

Cutty72 04-07-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njchopper87 (Post 527971)
Nice repair and detective work! The only thing I'd be able to do in that situation is curse at anything and everything that moves (and doesn't move) until I could get a hold of someone knowledgeable.

I got a little help from the pros on the Buell site, so I can't take all the credit on the detective work. I did do the repair on my own though, so that was all me!

marko138 04-07-2013 09:47 PM

Strong work.

No Worries 04-07-2013 10:30 PM

Except for flat tires and a cracked fuel hose, I can't think of any problem I've had on a motorcycle that wasn't electrical. I used to use an analog voltmeter, but digital voltmeters are half the price, size and weight. I carry mine all the time. It can tell you what wire, what connection, or what component is faulty.

Cutty72 04-07-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 527977)
Except for flat tires and a cracked fuel hose, I can't think of any problem I've had on a motorcycle that wasn't electrical. I used to use an analog voltmeter, but digital voltmeters are half the price, size and weight. I carry mine all the time. It can tell you what wire, what connection, or what component is faulty.

- broken drive belt
- leaking clutch cylinder
- blown fork seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 527975)
Strong work.

Thanks.

marko138 04-08-2013 07:42 AM

I keep staring at my original 05 battery and wondering I want to press my luck and try to get another year out of it. I'm leaning toward not.

Cutty72 04-08-2013 10:12 AM

Yeah, I replaced mine this year. If I could keep it on the tender all the time when parked, it was ok. Down here, I can't, and I hate getting stranded on the bike, as it's damn near impossible to push start this pig!

marko138 04-08-2013 11:40 AM

I bet I could make it work but it gets pretty weak if it sits more than a few days. Maybe I'll run to the shop this week and get one.

tommymac 04-09-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 527986)
Yeah, I replaced mine this year. If I could keep it on the tender all the time when parked, it was ok. Down here, I can't, and I hate getting stranded on the bike, as it's damn near impossible to push start this pig!

I went and had most of my electrical system replaced, next month will hopefully be attacking the rotor swap. need to look online and see if I can borrow that crankshaft locking tool.

Cutty72 04-09-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528017)
I went and had most of my electrical system replaced, next month will hopefully be attacking the rotor swap. need to look online and see if I can borrow that crankshaft locking tool.

Good deal. I'd still check your ignition switch to be sure that when you go from lock to lock that it's not pulling on the wires. I guess its a semi-common problem.

That is one nice thing about the 08, it had a somewhat reliable charging system. Not overly excessive for extra electrical stuff, but it could handle the stock bike easily.

tommymac 04-09-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 528055)
Good deal. I'd still check your ignition switch to be sure that when you go from lock to lock that it's not pulling on the wires. I guess its a semi-common problem.

That is one nice thing about the 08, it had a somewhat reliable charging system. Not overly excessive for extra electrical stuff, but it could handle the stock bike easily.

Good to know, I iwll give it a look when I start pulling it apart. Its always my luck I wond up with the obscure problems

marko138 04-09-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528017)

Damn son.

Gas Man 04-10-2013 10:03 AM

Solid work Cutty... you fixed it and we didn't help at all. Sweet!

tommymac 04-10-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 528059)
Damn son.

tryin to russle up some pennies to do the dreaded rotor swap, then we should be good to go. new tires and freshen up the brakes and were tracking her.

Cutty72 04-10-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528111)
tryin to russle up some pennies to do the dreaded rotor swap, then we should be good to go. new tires and freshen up the brakes and were tracking her.

Tires and brakes already? I thought you only had like 1500 miles on it?

Cutty72 04-10-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 528105)
Solid work Cutty... you fixed it and we didn't help at all. Sweet!

Thanks, yeah, you guys are pretty helpful... :gofurslf: :lol:

Model specific forums are generally better for such problems, and thankfully I know where to find those as well.
That and having some decent mechanical background and ability.

tommymac 04-10-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 528112)
Tires and brakes already? I thought you only had like 1500 miles on it?

3500 miles but am on the original pirellis and those are sliding on me so I will spoon on some michelins. As for the brakes they need a good bleeding and I occasionally get soem headshake with hard braking at higher speeds. I have heard that these bikes do osscilate at times so I wasnt sure if its that or a warped rotor, but for track duty I def want better pads on there anyway.

Cutty72 04-10-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528114)
3500 miles but am on the original pirellis and those are sliding on me so I will spoon on some michelins. As for the brakes they need a good bleeding and I occasionally get soem headshake with hard braking at higher speeds. I have heard that these bikes do osscilate at times so I wasnt sure if its that or a warped rotor, but for track duty I def want better pads on there anyway.

Gotcha. 3k is all I got out of my stock pirelli's, so I hear ya there. You going with Pilot Powers or what??
Let me know what you think of them, I have about 2k left on my Angels and will not put another set on. When I ran powers before, I loved the rear but the front cupped very badly. Usually got ~6k on a set, normal riding.

Not sure what to go with next... Conti's, Bridgestone, Dunlop...

tommymac 04-10-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 528117)
Gotcha. 3k is all I got out of my stock pirelli's, so I hear ya there. You going with Pilot Powers or what??
Let me know what you think of them, I have about 2k left on my Angels and will not put another set on. When I ran powers before, I loved the rear but the front cupped very badly. Usually got ~6k on a set, normal riding.

Not sure what to go with next... Conti's, Bridgestone, Dunlop...

I swear by the pilot powers, an dnow that they have the pure or newer powers, the regular ones are cheaper. I have gotten well over 6k on a set and thats with touring/commuting miles too. I also used them on the track an dnever had an issue. I am slow to mid pack intermediate and never had the need to go with the more expensive tires.

Cutty72 04-10-2013 12:54 PM

I like them overall, they are a bit twitchy at first on the 1125, I account that to the steering geometry, but not bad once you get used to it.
I loved the grip I had with them, and the price point, but just can not get over the cupping on the front. I ran 2 sets, and had the same issue on both. Front started cupping at around 4k. Always ran the pressure at ~36 psi cold. I would run them until the rear was shot (around 6k, stupid straight roads) and then change the set. The front easily had another 3-4k on it, if not for the cupping, which got to the point that I could feel it in the bars.

marko138 04-10-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528114)

I managed 5000 miles on the DC III but I hated them. I put Pilot Road 2 on.

tommymac 04-10-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 528125)

I like th eold diablo corsas and use a fe wof them on my Tl1000, but they didnt seem to last very long. I got a good deal on a set of pilots, liked the feel as well and they seemed to last longer so I was sold on that.

Cutty72 04-10-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 528125)

If I could have gotten 5k+ out of the DC III's I would have gladly paid the extra $$ for them, they just worked on the Buell. Only tire I've had on that I haven't spun on corner exit (except at a track day).
I know that has as much to do with my right hand as it does the tire, but that's beside the point.

marko138 04-11-2013 09:58 AM

Going to pick up a new battery today. Decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. No sense in struggling with a weak battery again this year. 7 years is a good run for a battery.

tommymac 04-11-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 528143)
Going to pick up a new battery today. Decided to just bite the bullet and buy a new one. No sense in struggling with a weak battery again this year. 7 years is a good run for a battery.

No doubt, plus bump starting a big bore twin is not the easiest of things to do.

marko138 04-11-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528147)
No doubt, plus bump starting a big bore twin is not the easiest of things to do.

Never had to do it.

tommymac 04-11-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 528149)
Never had to do it.

be happy you havent, tried a few times on the futura, and once on the TL.:td:

marko138 04-11-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528151)
be happy you havent, tried a few times on the futura, and once on the TL.:td:

Pass. The battery has served me well...but if it sits more than a day or two it barely turns that big twin over and then it resets the clock.

marko138 04-11-2013 12:44 PM

New battery acquired.

Cutty72 04-11-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 528147)

It's work and I didn't like it on the SV... I would label it "impossible" on the 1125. Main reason being that if you don't have proper fuel pressure, it won't fire anyway.