Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   IMS tank = fail (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19759)

G-Rex 07-23-2011 03:01 PM

IMS tank = fail

1 Attachment(s)
These are apparently very reliable tanks. Mine isn't I guess. *shrug*

Was doing some last minute stuff to the KLR this morning, and I bumped the tank barely. It started dumping fuel as fast as it could. I scrambled to get it off and once I did, found this.

For reference, this location is on the underside of the tank, where it sits on a rubber pad against the backbone of the frame.

I didn't get the tank from IMS. I got it from an individual new in the box. I'm going to call them to make sure they know about this, but I don't expect I'll get anywhere with a replacement. Not sure I'd want it anyway. I have the stock tank still, and it's already on the bike.

I sure am glad this happened in my garage rather than north of Fairbanks. I think this would be one of the few things I couldn't fix on the road.

Trip 07-23-2011 03:14 PM

Makes you wonder if you got fucked by the guy you brought it from, I have never heard a bad thing about IMS.

Homeslice 07-23-2011 03:19 PM

Yeah, it's hard to imagine someone buying an aftermarket tank and then selling it without ever using it, unless he knew it was damaged and wanted to pass his misfortune onto someone else.

askmrjesus 07-23-2011 03:23 PM

That sucks.

I've gotten some dodgy tanks from IMS in the past, (surface imperfections, fitment issues and tons of crap inside from when they drilled the petcock hole) but I never had one fail that bad.

I've used Clarke's on my D/S stuff for a while now, they seem to me, to have a better build quality than the IMS units.

JC

askmrjesus 07-23-2011 03:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, what kind of paint did you use on it? (Not saying that was the cause of your problem, although IMS might...)

JC

Mr Lefty 07-23-2011 03:39 PM

didn't know you got it second hand... hopefully that didn't have something to do with it.

I've been more than happy with my IMS, and it's been bashed many times, as I'm not the greatest off road rider. it even lasted 1000miles with my radiator guards rubbing the tank before I trimmed the guards down. very little mark made.... My model is quite thick, though in the location of your crack, I'm not sure of the thickness...

I'd be willing to bet you got a bad tank... I'd give IMS the chance to replace it.... I doubt the paint will cause an issue, as most advertisements I saw stated "paintable" so I don't think they could cry foul... :2cents:

but hell yes... good thing that shit happened now!

Mr Lefty 07-23-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 482658)
That sucks.

I've gotten some dodgy tanks from IMS in the past, (surface imperfections, fitment issues and tons of crap inside from when they drilled the petcock hole) but I never had one fail that bad.

I've used Clarke's on my D/S stuff for a while now, they seem to me, to have a better build quality than the IMS units.

JC

I had fitment issues, for a bit... but after about 15k, the tank settled, swelled and fit perfectly... Did have an issue when they first put on the tank (at the dealership) crap got caught in the carb.... but cleaned that out and never had another issue.

askmrjesus 07-23-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Lefty (Post 482662)
I had fitment issues, for a bit... but after about 15k, the tank settled, swelled and fit perfectly... Did have an issue when they first put on the tank (at the dealership) crap got caught in the carb.... but cleaned that out and never had another issue.

Yeah, I'm not saying they are terrible or anything, but as a former full-time mechanic, I kinda needed them to fit now, not 15K from now. :lol:

Fucked up carbs is ultimately the dealers fault. Should have blown it out with air before the install.

JC

Mr Lefty 07-23-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 482663)
Yeah, I'm not saying they are terrible or anything, but as a former full-time mechanic, I kinda needed them to fit now, not 15K from now. :lol:

Fucked up carbs is ultimately the dealers fault. Should have blown it out with air before the install.

JC

lol yeah I'm not sure how they got all the bolts in... first time I took it off, only two would go back in, and that took an hour of fuck'n with it. I think I had it off another 10-15 times before I got all 4 to line up... now, it'll go on perfectly, WITH my Unibiker rad guards... (couldn't even get it to sit right with them on before)

and yeah, I would have blown it out or ran some water through (and let it dry) before putting it on...

but I agree... Clarke, from what I've seen has been very good. almost switched to one when I couldn't get the Unibikers to fit with the IMS...

Cutty72 07-23-2011 05:04 PM

Duct tape woulda fixed that shit right up.