Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   When I'm Right I'm Right!!! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10839)

Amber Lamps 10-04-2009 03:14 AM

When I'm Right I'm Right!!!

I've had the "everyone should start on a 250" argument 100s of times and my main point has always been that people get bored with 250s really quick, especially when they have prior motorcycle/two wheel experience... Well, my GF went and bought a GSXR600 today. I can't fault her since she got a clean title, under 1100 mile, zero damage '08 GSXR600 with a pipe, a helmet, a jacket, the stock pieces and a rear stand for... are you ready? $4,000!!! The guy is a Marine that is shipping out in a week and needed to get rid of it ASAP! I guess that he had a Craig's List ad out for a month and has tried EBay to no avail. The stealership offered him $3800 for the bike or $5000 if he wanted to trade it in... Did I mention that it has an extended warranty? WOW! I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure that it was a scam, I was like no way, this guy is going to take $4,000... he took it.

My gf lasted maybe a month before she started looking for a 600... I really wish that I would have talked her into a Ninja 650 instead, she may have made it to spring... BTW if you know anyone who needs/wants a '08 Ninja 250 for under $3,000 let me know... I'll have pics Mon/Tues when we pick the bike up in Raleigh. I hope that she can take it easy. She's been doing really well and her chicken strips are completely gone already. She has been very unsatisfied with the lack of power from the 250 (really, no) and she's tired of getting left behind. I'm really concerned that she is gonna lose it but all I can do is coach...

RACER X 10-04-2009 04:01 AM

she still has alot to learn from the bike, i can understand her not wanting to get left behind, but she'd still get left behind on a 650.

i've found alot of people are afraid to wrap it out and yet complain its not fast enough........

then there's the whole cornering thing. my wife rode her 250 for about 1yr before taking MSF, another friend rode a 600. they both took MSF basic together........guess which one was afraid to lean the bike? the friend, cuz his 600 tipped in so easily he was basically scared of any bike, while she was dragging peg.

best o luck on her 250

tell her take it to a trackday. it still has alot to teach her.

101lifts2 10-04-2009 05:19 AM

How much u want for that 250?

racedoll 10-04-2009 07:44 AM

I lasted just over a year on my 250. Once hubby let me ride the 900 I was looking for a 600 so I can relate. But I'm glad I stayed as long as I did on the 250 because I think helped me as it did with Racer X's wife. I was able to refine my skills and get comfortable because the bike I have no I can barely touch. Had I started on it I know I would be a lot more afraid.

Yes, take her to the track soon after. I believe it helped me get more accustomed to my 600 since I went 6 weeks after I bought it. I was able to really learn how it handled and everything.

Congrats to your girlfriend on such a good find.I hope she has a lot of fun with it.

karl_1052 10-04-2009 09:21 AM

If she didn't like being left behind on the 250, just make sure she doesn't ride over her head trying to keep up.

Now where are the pics in the chaps with the bike?:boobs:

tached1000rr 10-04-2009 10:54 AM

Well how's she's gonna keep up with YOU on a 250 when you insist on running around at 150mph:whistle:

She will likely be fine on the 600, she's taken the class, has you for extra guidance, sounds like she has done well on the 250 even if for a short period of time, she's tall which certainly does not hurt in terms of parking lot manuevers etc...

pauldun170 10-04-2009 03:48 PM

To think i started out on 540lb 750 with worn suspension :lol:

Captain Morgan 10-04-2009 04:39 PM

Which is why it's best to always buy used for your first bike. That way, you don't take the hit on the depreciation and you still gain experience. Not to mention the fact that if you dump it, it won't hurt the wallet as much.

Amber Lamps 10-04-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 273866)
Which is why it's best to always buy used for your first bike. That way, you don't take the hit on the depreciation and you still gain experience. Not to mention the fact that if you dump it, it won't hurt the wallet as much.

Yep, hey she did really well on both of these bikes! About $2500 on the 250 and this crazy $4000 on the 600... I was concerned but this guy has a 100% approval rating and has sold a bike and a car before on EBay. The way this works is, she sends the money-wire transfer to a third party bank. The bank holds the loot for 3 days while we look the bike over (it's being delivered btw), if we give the okay, the money is released to the seller. It seems iron clad to me, so we'll see how it goes...:idk:

TYEster 10-04-2009 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
LOL @ not enough. I suppose if she's just street riding where you guys are with all the upright highway stretch riding, "ok".

But just a little info for her, at tight, small, or otherwise technical track a 1000 has no more advantage than a 250.

Kerry_129 10-04-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 273904)
The way this works is, she sends the money-wire transfer to a third party bank. The bank holds the loot for 3 days while we look the bike over (it's being delivered btw), if we give the okay, the money is released to the seller. It seems iron clad to me, so we'll see how it goes...:idk:

Uhhhh, combined with the low price on the bike, at first glance it sounds very much like a possible scam to me. I'd check out the 'third party bank' thoroughly and ask for/read the fine print on the escrow conditions.

As for being 'right' - I don't think it's too hard when one strives to make a self-fulfilling prophesy. Has she ever heard anything other than 'OMG this thing is so slow' from you? In fairness, I guess I can understand a bit more since she's (presumably) riding flat/straight roads for the most part - but I can't help but wonder where her shift-points are. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kathy went through that phase of 'sick of being left behind' until she learned to keep it pinned and wring it out for everything it was worth. Then she progressed to the point she had no problem riding at the same pace as the 'fast' group except when the straightaway speeds went up into triple digits (of course, we're in a much more twisty area than you guys). Knowing first-hand what those little bikes are capable of at their (true) limits, it's just hard not to think 'bored with it' = 'not flogging the piss out of it like it needs'. :shrug:

Anyway - careful with the transaction (maybe consider asking for an escrow service of her choice), and good luck to her w/ the purchase & new bike. That is a smokin' deal if it's legit! :D

Particle Man 10-04-2009 08:30 PM

good for her. congrats on the bike.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 273905)
LOL @ not enough. I suppose if she's just street riding where you guys are with all the upright highway stretch riding, "ok".

But just a little info for her, at tight, small, or otherwise technical track a 1000 has no more advantage than a 250.

Yea who said my girl was EVER going to go to the track? NOBODY!!!! We are street riders!:lol:

BTW I see that YOUR woman has a 750....

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:59 AM

Did I mention that the helmet that comes with it is a Shark RSR2? or that the jacket and gloves are A*s? Jesus, this deal is crazy! I sure hope that it all goes well for her!!!

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 273922)
Uhhhh, combined with the low price on the bike, at first glance it sounds very much like a possible scam to me. I'd check out the 'third party bank' thoroughly and ask for/read the fine print on the escrow conditions.

As for being 'right' - I don't think it's too hard when one strives to make a self-fulfilling prophesy. Has she ever heard anything other than 'OMG this thing is so slow' from you? In fairness, I guess I can understand a bit more since she's (presumably) riding flat/straight roads for the most part - but I can't help but wonder where her shift-points are. Not to beat a dead horse, but Kathy went through that phase of 'sick of being left behind' until she learned to keep it pinned and wring it out for everything it was worth. Then she progressed to the point she had no problem riding at the same pace as the 'fast' group except when the straightaway speeds went up into triple digits (of course, we're in a much more twisty area than you guys). Knowing first-hand what those little bikes are capable of at their (true) limits, it's just hard not to think 'bored with it' = 'not flogging the piss out of it like it needs'. :shrug:

Anyway - careful with the transaction (maybe consider asking for an escrow service of her choice), and good luck to her w/ the purchase & new bike. That is a smokin' deal if it's legit! :D

Yea I was worried but... it's thru EBay buyer protection and the bank is WaMu... She messaged Ebay about it and they assure her that it's on the up and up....

The other thing that gives me some confidence is the fact that my buddy that works at a dealer confirmed that the dealer would have only offered about $3500-4000 for the bike. He was saying that they are picking up repos at auctions for 2 or 3k and even got a '09 R1 for just over 5 grand a few weeks ago... Last Summer I did some work for a guy that owns a car dealership that sells bike in the Spring and he was picking up '06/'07/'08 GSXR1000s and 'Busas for around $5-6000 no bs.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 09:46 AM

Oh and Kerry, Racer, track guys, etc... here's the thing, when did any of you EVER get the "maximum performance" out of any bike you owned before you upgraded? Kerry, you have a VFR, are you stating that you had gotten the absolute most you could get out of it before you got your GSXR? Oh and you especially, Racer, did you "max out" your last bike before getting that 'Busa? Of course not. None of us have.

Kerry, I understand that your old lady kept her 250 forever and learned to beat the fuck out of it and managed to keep up, yadda, yadda, yadda... My gf has taken the edges of her tires and I think that she does very well on that 250, as I have stated. I personally don't want her to upgrade until Spring BUT I cannot deny that if legit, this deal is too good to pass up. She has agreed to leave the bike parked until I say that she is ready. Trust me, there will be several very controlled rides before she takes that bike out alone. My point is that Cathy is the exception, NOT the rule and that is why I am "right".

For the type of riding , MOST of us do on the street, a 250 is the wrong starter bike in a lot of cases imho. BTW I still don't recommend a Super Sport for a first bike for most people but a 500/650 would probably be okay and give a "fast learner" or someone with some experience a better, more satisfying platform, to grow on. Besides, no one can deny that the 250 has a piss poor chassis, crappy brakes, and cobbled parts bin components. A GSXR 600's suspension and brakes are a million times better. Shit, I thought she was going to throw it in the weeds a few times because of the brakes and flexing/bottomed out front forks! She won't know what to do with herself once she gets a load the brakes and ride on this bad boy!!!:lol:

OTB 10-05-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 273904)
Yep, hey she did really well on both of these bikes! About $2500 on the 250 and this crazy $4000 on the 600... I was concerned but this guy has a 100% approval rating and has sold a bike and a car before on EBay. The way this works is, she sends the money-wire transfer to a third party bank. The bank holds the loot for 3 days while we look the bike over (it's being delivered btw), if we give the okay, the money is released to the seller. It seems iron clad to me, so we'll see how it goes...:idk:

FYI,

Tigger, I hope for your sakes this is a real deal, BUT

Unless the deal is done through a certified and licensed escrow corp, there is a pretty good chance you are being scammed.

If you propose an escrow service of your own and a shipper of your own and you start getting "excuses" for why you must use his service, it's a scam..

I always offer to fly out and inspect the bike and waive the waiting period, and whenever it's a scam I get the shell game..."the bikes not in city X, it's in their warehouse in city Y", or ""It's in a high security bonded area...blah blah blah...". Ok then I tell them I'll fly to city Y....either they stop replying or dream up another reason why i can't see the bike "in situ"..........and it's a scam..................

Let me guess; the bike is in another state, they (bank; ebay, moneybookers, ect.) handle all the shipping arrangements and your have (3 days/5 days/10 days) to examine and approve the merchandise. You would not be the first guy to have been snookered by somebody who hijacked someone else's ebay acct. Banks don't ship bikes...neither does ebay, escrow corps, or anybody but SHIPPERS.

Also, vehicles not purchased through ebay aren't eligible for buyer protection.

There's a pretty good chance that the "seller" used hijacked links to spoof sites to fool you.

Who knows, it might be legit, but my nose is twitching...........I've been wrong before....I think.............

Rider 10-05-2009 10:09 AM

Tigger,

If you haven't seen the bike in person, I'd stay clear of this deal. I'm paranoid about being scammed so maybe it's just me but this deal doesn't seem right.

You know the saying, if it sounds too good to be true, then usually it is...

z06boy 10-05-2009 10:13 AM

Hopefully it works out and is legit.

If so...congrats to her for finding such a steal of a deal.

My wife started on a 600 and it has been over two years and SO FAR everything has worked out 100% fine...she loves it and has logged a little over 9k miles without an issue.

We rode Saturday and again yesterday and had a blast.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 12:21 PM

Well fellas, it's a scam! Hopefully we caught it in time! I feel bad because I should have asked more questions but my gf is a very good salesperson and convinced me that it was legit. I told her from the start that I would be happy to handle it for her and to have the guy call me but she wanted to do it herself.... It looks bad but there's a chance that she didn't lose her money because the credit union didn't try to send the money until about 9:15 and she called them at 10.... I just hope that it turns out okay for her! She is so impatient! Maybe next time she'll be more inclined to listen to an old guy.

marko138 10-05-2009 12:27 PM

Wow. Fuck. Seriously.

Homeslice 10-05-2009 12:29 PM

An SV650 would have been a better transition......unless she only cares about looks. A GSXR-600 doesn't perform any better than an SV until after 8K rpm.

Hell she probably should have just skipped the 250 and just started with an SV.

skiergirl 10-05-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274025)
Yea who said my girl was EVER going to go to the track? NOBODY!!!! We are street riders!:lol:

Yes I do and I learned first on dirt bikes, then on a ninja 250. I didn't need a 750 when I got one, it was just a cheap deal and I took it. When I was 18 and buying it all that really mattered was it's pretty colors.....

Several 750's later, I still don't ride it close to it's limits on the track and never will. I've been wanting to get something smaller for a long time, actually a 250 like the one in Tye's pic to be exact. It teaches you 10x's the riding skills you can get by over-compensating with the power of bigger heavier bikes.

Wish I had some extra cash cause I'd take that bike off your hands....

Tmall 10-05-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 274134)
An SV650 would have been a better choice for her......unless she cares more about looks than how it rides. A GSXR-600 doesn't perform any better than an SV until after 8K rpm.

Hell she probably should have just skipped the 250 and just started with the SV.

Not making this post would have been a better choice for you.

Why do you ALWAYS tell people what they should/shouldn't do?

Homeslice 10-05-2009 12:40 PM

Because everyone has their own writing style, and this is mine. If you don't like it, putting me on ignore might be a good option. :shrug:

HurricaneHeather 10-05-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiergirl (Post 274136)
Yes I do and I learned first on dirt bikes, then on a ninja 250. I didn't need a 750 when I got one, it was just a cheap deal and I took it. When I was 18 and buying it all that really mattered was it's pretty colors.....

Several 750's later, I still don't ride it close to it's limits on the track and never will. I've been wanting to get something smaller for a long time, actually a 250 like the one in Tye's pic to be exact. It teaches you 10x's the riding skills you can get by over-compensating with the power of bigger heavier bikes.

I'm sorry, but I actually did LOL when I read the "I see your woman has a 750...." comment. :lmao:

Tigger, really? This chick has been riding since probably before your 'woman' was a teenager. You never cease to amaze me with your stupid comments. :lol:

Tmall 10-05-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 274141)
Because everyone has their own writing style, and this is mine. If you don't like it, putting me on ignore might be a good option. :shrug:

How would I argue with you?

skiergirl 10-05-2009 12:46 PM

wait, I think she just called me old....:dvrofl:

HurricaneHeather 10-05-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiergirl (Post 274145)
wait, I think she just called me old....:dvrofl:

:rofl: But I think that qualifies you for cougar status. :lol

Homeslice 10-05-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiergirl (Post 274136)

You selling? I would be interested in a clean 04/05 750.....I love the riding position. The 06+ riding position is scrunched up, the tank has a fucked-up shape to it, and you sit on top of the bike instead of in it. :td:

Kerry_129 10-05-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274131)
Well fellas, it's a scam! Hopefully we caught it in time!

When we're right, we're RIGHT!!! :nf:

Sorry man, couldn't resist....:lol:

Hope you guys caught it in time & her money is safe! Fookin' scammers. :td:

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 274053)
Tigger,

If you haven't seen the bike in person, I'd stay clear of this deal. I'm paranoid about being scammed so maybe it's just me but this deal doesn't seem right.

You know the saying, if it sounds too good to be true, then usually it is...

Me too! Up until we had her bike in hand and the paperwork was done, I was sure that it was a scam because we found it on Craig's List. Oh well, never again, I can tell you that! She's been on CL for weeks trying to find a 600 and I kept telling her to wait, why waste time when she's not going to buy until next Spring. Then this ad came up and she's been working on me since Thursday to say it was okay.... I have to admit, these guys have a smooth deal going.

Here's the listing...
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1399974176.html

The Photobucket account...
http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/DavidRVI/

The "EBay" listing has disappeared of course. Man, they have a slick operation, I have to admit! Everything looks perfectly on the up and up, EXCEPT the wire transfer... I told her the the start that she should only use Pay Pal but she wouldn't listen to me. The modified EBay listing promised her 3 days to check the bike out before the funds were released... Now the worst part is that, like all companies these days, her CU didn't process her stop request right away and sat on it for almost 2 hours before sending it through!!!:panic: She literally went back to the bank within an hour... Man, I hope that she didn't get screwed!!!

The only "positive" side to this whole thing is that the money she was spending was "free" in the sense that because her parents are divorced, she has three sets of Grandparents and two parents that send her money every month (at least $1000/month), on top of the huge grants that she gets because of her grades and the fact that she is in the medical field. Her classes cost under $2500 and she gets almost $6000 in grants, no bs. Plus she works as a pharmacy tech for Walgreens. She went to Europe this Spring and had almost no money when she got back. She paid her tuition, bought the 250, 3 helmets, three jackets, a helmet for me, her bike insurance (Mom pays for her car), chaps, misc gloves, clothes, paid off her credit cards, etc and she still has (maybe had) $6000 in her account before this deal! Heck, she'll still have $2000 even if she gets fucked with more money coming next semester. It's truly amazing...:lol:

skiergirl 10-05-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 274151)
You selling? I would be interested in a clean 04/05 750.....I love the riding position. The 06+ riding position is scrunched up, the tank has a fucked-up shape to it, and you sit on top of the bike instead of in it. :td:

No def not, I love my 05 750....Just would like an additional 250 for the track to play on someday soon.

karl_1052 10-05-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274048)
My point is that [insert random name here] is the exception, NOT the rule.

Where have we heard that before?
There is a reason they are rules.

Hopefully they can stop the transaction in time.

RACER X 10-05-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274048)
Oh and Kerry, Racer, track guys, etc... here's the thing, when did any of you EVER get the "maximum performance" out of any bike you owned before you upgraded? Kerry, you have a VFR, are you stating that you had gotten the absolute most you could get out of it before you got your GSXR? Oh and you especially, Racer, did you "max out" your last bike before getting that 'Busa? Of course not. None of us have.

:

lol.....maxed out.......naw...........after 9yrs and 54k mi, my wife andi figured i deserved a new bike(she's had 3 in that same time frame).........its not like a rode it 2 mos and 1000 mi. and was "advanced" enough for a new bike.......

best o luck

i bought my bike off of the i-net essetially. contacted w/ dude. sent guy $100 in earnest $, sent my flight info...........took a check for the bike.

his son picked me up from the airport, drove 1 hr back to the house
got the bike prepped for the ride home, thanks TROY
spent the night at dude's house,

Rider 10-05-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274153)
Me too! Up until we had her bike in hand and the paperwork was done, I was sure that it was a scam because we found it on Craig's List. Oh well, never again, I can tell you that! She's been on CL for weeks trying to find a 600 and I kept telling her to wait, why waste time when she's not going to buy until next Spring. Then this ad came up and she's been working on me since Thursday to say it was okay.... I have to admit, these guys have a smooth deal going.

Here's the listing...
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/1399974176.html

The Photobucket account...
http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/DavidRVI/

The "EBay" listing has disappeared of course. Man, they have a slick operation, I have to admit! Everything looks perfectly on the up and up, EXCEPT the wire transfer... I told her the the start that she should only use Pay Pal but she wouldn't listen to me. The modified EBay listing promised her 3 days to check the bike out before the funds were released... Now the worst part is that, like all companies these days, her CU didn't process her stop request right away and sat on it for almost 2 hours before sending it through!!!:panic: She literally went back to the bank within an hour... Man, I hope that she didn't get screwed!!!

The only "positive" side to this whole thing is that the money she was spending was "free" in the sense that because her parents are divorced, she has three sets of Grandparents and two parents that send her money every month (at least $1000/month), on top of the huge grants that she gets because of her grades and the fact that she is in the medical field. Her classes cost under $2500 and she gets almost $6000 in grants, no bs. Plus she works as a pharmacy tech for Walgreens. She went to Europe this Spring and had almost no money when she got back. She paid her tuition, bought the 250, 3 helmets, three jackets, a helmet for me, her bike insurance (Mom pays for her car), chaps, misc gloves, clothes, paid off her credit cards, etc and she still has (maybe had) $6000 in her account before this deal! Heck, she'll still have $2000 even if she gets fucked with more money coming next semester. It's truly amazing...:lol:

Have you looked at salvage auctions? Buy back on my 08 750 with 3K miles was only $2500.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 274142)
I'm sorry, but I actually did LOL when I read the "I see your woman has a 750...." comment. :lmao:

Tigger, really? This chick has been riding since probably before your 'woman' was a teenager. You never cease to amaze me with your stupid comments. :lol:

There are very few people on the forum that have said more technically stupid things than you Pleather...everybody, do a post search for this chick and you'll see what I mean!:lol: It's not "stupid" it's possibly ill informed. I don't know or even care who is married to whom. BTW I'm sure that he or her could have just as easily informed me of her experience level without a ton of bitchiness from you. He and others put their two cents in about how she hasn't "maxed out" the potential of her current bike. I'm pointing out that I doubt that his woman (or he, for that matter) have ever reached the maximum potential of their previous bikes either before they traded.

The hypocrite level that revolves around this type of discussion is boundless.
"I started on a VFR but everyone else should start on a 250", " Your girl should stay on a 250 even though mine traded hers in after 6 months", etc.The fact that she has been riding for 3 three years or more does not change the fact that when she felt that she was ready, she upgraded. Which is my point. There will always be someone that thought she should have waited longer to get a different bike no matter how long she waited. There are other people whose wives started on 883's Sportsters. Busas or R6s and did fine.

Hey and just because your stupid ass couldn't handle your 250 without fucking up doesn't mean that no one can! The possibility does exist that my girl has more "talent" or innate ability than you or your friend. Maybe not, maybe she just wants to ride on the street and not do any track days. Maybe she wants to do 90 mph on the freeway without redlining the bike...:lol: Regardless, whenever something like this comes up, there are always people with 600s, 750s, 1000s and 'Busas trying to convince other people that they shouldn't get a bigger bike.

RACER X 10-05-2009 01:36 PM

who talkin maxed? other then you.........

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 274160)
Have you looked at salvage auctions? Buy back on my 08 750 with 3K miles was only $2500.

Yea, I've considered them. Heck, my bike was only $1200 when I bought it back. I tried to tell her to wait but oh well, we'll see how it all turns out in the end. My plan was to go and trade hers in on a used 600 next Spring. There's a dealer in Raleigh that has a brand new '08 GSXR600 he's moving for about $6500. I figured that even if they only give her $2000-2500 for her bike, she could pull under $5k out of pocket and be set!:rockwoot:

RACER X 10-05-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274170)
My plan was to go and trade hers in on a used 600 next Spring. :

sounds like an excellant plan, though as you well know you'll get more selling it yourself.

TYEster 10-05-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274025)

Ya true not everyone wants to get the most out of their bike.

BTW my girl can handle her 4th 750, she didnt just jump on it after 2 months of learning on a 250.

cuttle 10-05-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 273773)
....and she's tired of getting left behind.

if she's tired of being left behind you should have changed your riding style to accommodate her for a while......

azoomm 10-05-2009 01:51 PM

What exactly are you "right" about? :skep:

HurricaneHeather 10-05-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274168)
There are very few people on the forum that have said more technically stupid things than you Pleather...everybody, do a post search for this chick and you'll see what I mean!:lol: It's not "stupid" it's possibly ill informed.

:D

Yeah, you should all read the one where I fell for a CL scam for a bike...oh no wait...

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 274169)
who talkin maxed? other then you.........

Kerry... and others stated that she should get closer to the limit on this bike before moving on...:whosr: Yea and none of us would ever get new bikes! Shit we should wait until a car is completely undrivable before we get a new one. We should wait until our wives are totally unfuckable before we trade them in too!!!:lol: TVs should be unrepairable. Clothes unwearable... Of course, I'm kidding but whatever.

The deal is the girl wanted a 600 from the start, she acquiesced and got a 250. Rode it for a month and now she wants a bigger bike. The classic scenario in these cases. I seen it online and in real life a 1000 times. A guy gets talked into a smaller bike than he wanted and ends up getting bored and buying the bike he wanted in the first place. Say it isn't so... You all point to your little cloister of e-friends from your forum and say, "See so and so kept his 250 for 3 years before getting another bike" but you totally ignore the 100s of 250s on the market from '08 and '09. Cathy lives where there are tight twisties to ride everyday, the other girl took hers to the track. I could live with an Aprillia 250 under those conditions (not the Kaw-chassis sucks balls!) Kawasaki updated the looks but no so much the performance. There are literally faster, lighter, better handling/performing scooters out there!:lol:

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 274171)
sounds like an excellant plan, though as you well know you'll get more selling it yourself.

Yea but the hassles involved don't always offset the benefits, you know?

RACER X 10-05-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274179)
I seen it online and in real life a 1000 times. A guy gets talked into a smaller bike than he wanted and ends up getting bored and buying the bike he wanted in the first place. Say it isn't so... You all point to your little cloister of e-friends from your forum and say, "See so and so kept his 250 for 3 years before getting another bike" but you totally ignore the 100s of 250s on the market from '08 and '09.

sure it happens alot, 100's of 250's F/S, hardly. they also fetch top dollar as long as you don't buy new........most don't get deals like your girls. hell i see the old style one still askin ~2800, isnt' that over MSRP.

ego is a bich. thats about all there is about that.

250's are fine for the streets. just ego gets in the way.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 274178)
:D

Yeah, you should all read the one where I fell for a CL scam for a bike...oh no wait...

Hey, I didn't fall for anything. I think that she's stupid too. My "crime" is not "forbidding" her to do it. At about 12 am Sunday, after about 100 texts about how Ebay has her back and the auction is almost over....I finally text back "do whatever you want, I hope that it legit". My gf is a strong willed stubborn girl that does whatever she wants. Heck she came here to go to school from a smaller town where her grand pa was chief of police(ret), her uncle just retired from the State Police, her other grand pa owns a multi-million dollar company that half the family works for and her step dad is a big wig with Hatch. All of these people have offered her jobs, fucking land, to pay for school in a field that pertains to their company, etc and she decided to "do it on her own" in the medical field. ..With a LOT of help of course!:lol: She could have gone to school local and had EVERYTHING paid for and not work at all unless she wanted some easy, cushy job in the family business....:idk:

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274177)
What exactly are you "right" about? :skep:

That most people who buy 250s on the advice of friends end up getting tired of them quickly. Oh and that the 250 is not necessarily the best starter bike for everyone. How long did you ride your 250 before upgrading?

RACER X 10-05-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274186)
That most people who buy 250s on the advice of friends end up getting tired of them quickly. Oh and that the 250 is not necessarily the best starter bike for everyone. How long did you ride your 250 before upgrading?

warning warning...........generalization in progress

and becuase a 250 is not a perfect starter bike a 600SS is? what makes it so?
lol

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 274183)
sure it happens alot, 100's of 250's F/S, hardly. they also fetch top dollar as long as you don't buy new........most don't get deals like your girls. hell i see the old style one still askin ~2800, isnt' that over MSRP.

ego is a bich. thats about all there is about that.

250's are fine for the streets. just ego gets in the way.

Fine bring me your "Busa and take this 250 for a couple months. :lol: If a 250 was fine for the street then why don't YOU have one? From what I hear, you didn't even start on a smaller bike yourself. Oh and I found 20+ 250s just in this state when she got hers... there were up to 5 at Ron Ayers at one point this Summer. I don't pretend to know all the numbers but I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that over half are sold in the first season!

azoomm 10-05-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274186)

My first street bike was a CB-1. Not a 250. But, a 400cc heavy ass machine with 42 horsepower. It was a rockin' machine :lol:

I rode it for a few years. Then, my ex-husband sold it while I was at work.

At the end of the day, people will do what they want to do. :idk: I've seen incredible learning curves. And, the very idea to purchase a motorcycle just so you can "keep up" tells me exactly where that rider's skill-set is.

RACER X 10-05-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274190)
Fine bring me your "Busa and take this 250 for a couple months. :lol: If a 250 was fine for the street then why don't YOU have one? From what I hear, you didn't even start on a smaller bike yourself. Oh and I found 20+ 250s just in this state when she got hers... there were up to 5 at Ron Ayers at one point this Summer. I don't pretend to know all the numbers but I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that over half are sold in the first season!

nope i didn't and i crashed..........people can't learn things thru experience?

she had one, she rode it 1.5yrs.......sold it for $100 less then we paid......oh we lost so much.........lol

20-25 in the state and thats alot for sale.......lol, research 600's.........should be in the thousands.....

Tmall 10-05-2009 02:37 PM

I hope when she gets it, she gets into a completely avoidable accident, comes away completely unhurt(not so much as a bruise), sues insurance for millions (driving all our rates up), and then buys a 1000.

I honestly hope all of these things, just so it pisses everybody off even more.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 274172)

BTW my girl can handle her 4th 750, she didnt just jump on it after 2 months of learning on a 250.

Okay, how many months did she ride her 250? Why did she change? Look I didn't know who your wife was or that she was "older". That wasn't my point anyway, a forum like yours with your collective mindset, will always be full of people that think like you do, or at least say they do to fit in. Neither CF nor this forum honestly represents the average rider out there. Believe it or not, there are people that ride that don't even own a computer OR work in an office!!!:lol: Most forums in my experience are started by a few friends of like interest and opinion. I have a small forum that me and a buddy started a few months ago, for example. We all ride really hard on the back roads, we are all in our 30s or 40s, we all have sport bikes, most of us are "tradesmen", etc. When we are going on a slow ride, we show up in jeans and light jackets or tee shirts. When we are going to "hit it" we show up in leather but we don't judge if someone decides to show up in jeans, I have worn my kevlar jeans and knee guards on hot days.

Anyway bion my intention wasn't to offend you, but to point out that your old lady has a 750, who decided she was ready? BTW why do you post her bike on your profile, especially since she has her own? Kinda strange....

shmike 10-05-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 274201)
I hope when she gets it, she gets into a completely avoidable accident, comes away completely unhurt(not so much as a bruise), sues insurance for millions (driving all our rates up), and then buys a 1000.

I honestly hope all of these things, just so it pisses everybody off even more.

I hope she is wearing jeans and walks away without a scratch.

Tmall 10-05-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274204)
I hope she is wearing jeans and walks away without a scratch.

I actually hope it's those little panties and her chaps. And that Tigger gets pictures. But, instead, I hope the panties rip a little..

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 274172)

BTW most people will never get "the most out of their bikes", have you? Are you really that good?

See here's one right here Racer X, NYAHHH!!!:lol:

Kerry_129 10-05-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274192)
And, the very idea to purchase a motorcycle just so you can "keep up" tells me exactly where that rider's skill-set is.

Exactly my point. I never stated anything to the effect of 'everyone should start on a 250' or that one must 'max out' their current bike before upgrading. I can understand wanting more power/speed (especially if she's riding long distances at interstate speeds), better suspension/brakes, etc (and I agree, the stock suspension needs help). But the 'bored with it' and 'tired of being left behind' reasoning after just a few months reeks of an inexperienced rider not yet capable of utilizing what she already has (I'm not saying 'maxing out') & wanting to jump on a supersport so she can 'go faster'. With plenty of respect, she'll hopefully do just fine going that route, as plenty of others have also (myself included, as I started on an F3). But it's still not good reasoning. IMO.

azoomm 10-05-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 274206)
I actually hope it's those little panties and her chaps. And that Tigger gets pictures. But, instead, I hope the panties rip a little..

:lol:

shmike 10-05-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 274206)

Good call.

I hope the little spikey / horn things on her helmet are the deciding factor between sudden death and her walking away unharmed.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 274187)
warning warning...........generalization in progress

and becuase a 250 is not a perfect starter bike a 600SS is? what makes it so?
lol

Warning warning..........words being put in mouth AND even quoted as OPPOSITE of what I said! I said in fact that a 600SS is NOT the best starter bike. Just a few posts ago...

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 274194)
nope i didn't and i crashed..........people can't learn things thru experience?

she had one, she rode it 1.5yrs.......sold it for $100 less then we paid......oh we lost so much.........lol

20-25 in the state and thats alot for sale.......lol, research 600's.........should be in the thousands.....

So because your ass couldn't handle it, no one can? Oh and was your crash before or after you took the MSF course?:lol:

Where did I state that there was money to be lost, focus man. I don't know which discussion you are having but it's not this one. Money was never discussed, even if you can prove that everyone that got a 250 made money when they sold it, it doesn't change the fact that they sold it in the first season.

250s are sold in limited numbers in the first place so it's not all that strange... In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are more 600s sold than 250s.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 274209)
Exactly my point. I never stated anything to the effect of 'everyone should start on a 250' or that one must 'max out' their current bike before upgrading. I can understand wanting more power/speed (especially if she's riding long distances at interstate speeds), better suspension/brakes, etc (and I agree, the stock suspension needs help). But the 'bored with it' and 'tired of being left behind' reasoning after just a few months reeks of an inexperienced rider not yet capable of utilizing what she already has (I'm not saying 'maxing out') & wanting to jump on a supersport so she can 'go faster'. With plenty of respect, she'll hopefully do just fine going that route, as plenty of others have also (myself included, as I started on an F3). But it's still not good reasoning. IMO.

Okay but what was your "reasoning" for starting so "big"? What was your mindset? Oh and how do you know that she can't "utilize" what she already has? Have you been riding with my gf when I wasn't around?... :lol: This may be one time that Azoom agrees with me but I've honestly seen teenage kids get on both dirt bikes and on the track and ride faster than people that have been doing it for years! Seriously, the kids that are competing in the Red Bull rookie's cup are probably faster than all of us on here... some people have talent. Some people don't need a year or three to get it...

RACER X 10-05-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274220)
So because your ass couldn't handle it, no one can? Oh and was your crash before or after you took the MSF course?:lol:

Where did I state that there was money to be lost, focus man. I don't know which discussion you are having but it's not this one. Money was never discussed, even if you can prove that everyone that got a 250 made money when they sold it, it doesn't change the fact that they sold it in the first season.

250s are sold in limited numbers in the first place so it's not all that strange... In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are more 600s sold than 250s.

crash was after 7-8000mi in 7-8mos of riding......handle it.......lol.......crash was my fault, but not cuz i couldn't "handle it" just riding stupidly. and i blame myself vs blaming everything else like most people do.

bike delivered sat night of MSF class, cousin test rode it for me, i rode 2-300mi that night. rode the VFR to MSF class sunday, rode to work on monday thru HEAVY traffic , it rained on the way home.

other then a ride in a grassy field on my cousins cruiser 1x, 1st time on a motorized bike was MSF class.

knowing what i know now, i prolly woulda been a better bike handler on a 250, but when i started riding i didn't know any riders, other then my cousin and he rode cruisers. so like i said, old dogs can learn new tricks.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274211)
Good call.

I hope the little spikey / horn things on her helmet are the deciding factor between sudden death and her walking away unharmed.

Yea she doesn't have those...:idk:

Tmall 10-05-2009 03:15 PM

We're on your side. Being condescending to the others....

shmike 10-05-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274230)
Yea she doesn't have those...:idk:

I thought you said she did. :scratch:

azoomm 10-05-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274225)
Okay but what was your "reasoning" for starting so "big"? What was your mindset? Oh and how do you know that she can't "utilize" what she already has? Have you been riding with my gf when I wasn't around?... :lol: This may be one time that Azoom agrees with me but I've honestly seen teenage kids get on both dirt bikes and on the track and ride faster than people that have been doing it for years! Seriously, the kids that are competing in the Red Bull rookie's cup are probably faster than all of us on here... some people have talent. Some people don't need a year or three to get it...

What the hell does that have to do with anything :lol:

Those "kids" start out on 50 and 80cc race bikes.... talk about starting small. My junior racers have been racing since they were 5 - that's a lot more experience than many riders out there. So, don't try to mix that into this conversation. It doesn't fit.

It's ridiculous trying to follow a discussion with you. It hurts.

Kerry_129 10-05-2009 03:32 PM

The 'have to get a bigger/faster bike in order to not be bored and/or keep up' after having a few months/miles on the bike is what I refer to as not being good reasoning. Hey, maybe she does have loads of natural talent & mastered it very quickly - but if that's the case, why isn't she able to 'keep up', as you say (assuming you're not routinely doing triple-digit blasts when you ride with her)? I have no way of knowing, but I'd bet that she's not keeping the rpm up over 10-grand when cornerning & frustrated that it won't pull at all when she rolls back into it. Or simply freaked out by the screaming sound (understandable) and not running it at high rpm to begin with.

It's only my opinion, but I stand by it.

CasterTroy 10-05-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274247)
My junior racers have been racing since they were 5 - that's a lot more experience than many riders out there.

I was on the track with 3 of them this weekend and totally shocked how freakin fast and fearless those guys were...the 6 yr old was fast..the 10 yr old was really fast....the 13 yr old? Holy crap...INSANE

pauldun170 10-05-2009 03:48 PM

I'm going to put it on record that a 250 Ninja is an annoying bike to ride on the highway.
However, I did enjoy riding it (belonged to a friend who traded it in for an R6 16 months later).

I wouldn't want it as my only bike though.
That would suck balls.

RACER X 10-05-2009 03:53 PM

i thought it was fun.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274247)
What the hell does that have to do with anything :lol:

Those "kids" start out on 50 and 80cc race bikes.... talk about starting small. My junior racers have been racing since they were 5 - that's a lot more experience than many riders out there. So, don't try to mix that into this conversation. It doesn't fit.

It's ridiculous trying to follow a discussion with you. It hurts.

So don't.....:lol:

The rookie point is that some of those kids are fast immediately, that's all! Some aren't. I'm always just trying to find a way to say that not everyone starts on the same level, so not everyone should start on the same bike.

You know, if you weren't so busy trying to find fault in everything I say, this would be a lot easier. I mean maybe my point wasn't perfectly clear but it was there if you kinda thought about it....

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 274250)
The 'have to get a bigger/faster bike in order to not be bored and/or keep up' after having a few months/miles on the bike is what I refer to as not being good reasoning. Hey, maybe she does have loads of natural talent & mastered it very quickly - but if that's the case, why isn't she able to 'keep up', as you say (assuming you're not routinely doing triple-digit blasts when you ride with her)? I have no way of knowing, but I'd bet that she's not keeping the rpm up over 10-grand when cornerning & frustrated that it won't pull at all when she rolls back into it. Or simply freaked out by the screaming sound (understandable) and not running it at high rpm to begin with.

It's only my opinion, but I stand by it.

I never said she can't keep up. The main problem is obvious... location! We have cultivated some pretty decent stretches of curves to ride here BUT this ain't the Gap. There are quite a few straights to run through to get to the different sections and the 250 sucks. Also, we went on a 300+ ride up the coast to the Seafood Festival in Morehead,NC Saturday and that shit had to suck on her bike! I think that's basically what put her in the, "I gotta get a different bike" zone.

Funny update! Her Grandpa just called and asked her how she was doing and she told him what happened (sobbing of course) so he is calling the Attorney General (Michael Jackson) but more importantly, he's sending her a check for a grand to make sure that she's going to be okay.... Oh did I mention that she is the first grandchild for all of the grand parents and the only grandchild on her father's side.:lol: Man did fate screw me with my alcoholic parents and dead by the time I was 5 grand parents....:lol:

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 274263)
I'm going to put it on record that a 250 Ninja is an annoying bike to ride on the highway.
However, I did enjoy riding it (belonged to a friend who traded it in for an R6 16 months later).

That would suck balls.

Hey, I like it in town! I'd also would mind a Piagio or Vespa either. When the road opens up though, that is not the bike to be on period.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 274274)
i thought it was fun.

In town I agree but there would be money spent on brakes and suspension if it were mine... yuck!!!

tached1000rr 10-05-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 274263)

That would suck balls.

I agree with this post....

azoomm 10-05-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274288)
So don't.....:lol:

The rookie point is that some of those kids are fast immediately, that's all! Some aren't. I'm always just trying to find a way to say that not everyone starts on the same level, so not everyone should start on the same bike.

You know, if you weren't so busy trying to find fault in everything I say, this would be a lot easier. I mean maybe my point wasn't perfectly clear but it was there if you kinda thought about it....

Man, I'm not finding fault. But, kid racers / go cart drivers / skateboarders / athletes that are in it to be IN IT are different than an adult trying to acquire a skill set. Seriously not even in the same ballpark.

Glad you see your point wasn't clear :nee:

I never said someone should start on the same bike. Each case is different. But, I know this from my experience - starting on a bike that has a smaller/easier/forgiving power band will give you the opportunity to learn the skills that are needed to be an accomplished rider.

It's my favorite to watch people try to buy fast.

At the end of the day, it's your money... and your hand on the throttle. :dthumb:

shmike 10-05-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274309)

I never said someone should start on the same bike. Each case is different. But, I know this from my experience - starting on a bike that has a smaller/easier/forgiving power band will give you the opportunity to learn the skills that are needed to be an accomplished rider.

It's my favorite to watch people try to buy fast.

At the end of the day, it's your money... and your hand on the throttle. :dthumb:

To a 60lb kid, the powerband on an 80cc 2-stroke can be as violent as any liter bike.

/Devil's advocate

azoomm 10-05-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274312)
To a 60lb kid, the powerband on an 80cc 2-stroke can be as violent as any liter bike.

/Devil's advocate

Right. And they are in a controlled environment with gear gear and more gear.

shmike 10-05-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274314)
Right. And they are in a controlled environment with gear gear and more gear.

Full face helmets are more safe than skull caps.

I'm not sure how that applies to the discussion but apparently we are discussing gear choices. :idk:

TYEster 10-05-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274202)
Okay, how many months did she ride her 250? Why did she change? Look I didn't know who your wife was or that she was "older". That wasn't my point anyway, a forum like yours with your collective mindset, will always be full of people that think like you do, or at least say they do to fit in. Neither CF nor this forum honestly represents the average rider out there. Believe it or not, there are people that ride that don't even own a computer OR work in an office!!!:lol: Most forums in my experience are started by a few friends of like interest and opinion. I have a small forum that me and a buddy started a few months ago, for example. We all ride really hard on the back roads, we are all in our 30s or 40s, we all have sport bikes, most of us are "tradesmen", etc. When we are going on a slow ride, we show up in jeans and light jackets or tee shirts. When we are going to "hit it" we show up in leather but we don't judge if someone decides to show up in jeans, I have worn my kevlar jeans and knee guards on hot days.

Anyway bion my intention wasn't to offend you, but to point out that your old lady has a 750, who decided she was ready? BTW why do you post her bike on your profile, especially since she has her own? Kinda strange....

Not sure how my girl is relevant to this thread about your girl upgrading... BUT since you ask :)

She gave me a quick review of her riding history, starting at 15yo to 16 she rode dirtbikes and learned how to ride "street" on that up in PA waaaaaay out in the hillcountry, then switched to a friends 250 for several months after getting her DL. She took the MSF after giving the bike back and eventually bought(after borrowing her ex's) 1989 gsxr750. I know you're saying, gee what a jump, but honestly, I doubt that bike even has the capabilities of your girls up-to-date 250. And I guess she was the one who decided she was ready given the time and situation her life was in I suppose, however this was 1990. And I can honestly say I trust her judgment and abilities also. She rides well within her bike's limits as well as her own, as she demonstrates that every time she rides. Even on the RSVR Factory she had for a few months, until her "brother" totaled that hotness. But that's niether here nor there. The point is, she's obviously capable of the bike upgrades she makes, albeit they're constantly to newer gsxr 750s :lol:

And I'm not offended at all! I'm just curious why she's even relevant to this thread. And I post her bike in my profile because sometimes I ride it, and I assume "moto" denominates a vehicle, which is why my car is listed as well. Is that such a problem for you?

askmrjesus 10-05-2009 05:07 PM

Tigger, for someone who's right, this thread is a fucking disaster. :lol:

JC

TYEster 10-05-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274207)
BTW most people will never get "the most out of their bikes", have you? Are you really that good?

See here's one right here Racer X, NYAHHH!!!:lol:

I'm definitely working on it! Hence why I'm upgrading my brakes, I feel that I need them in order to get more out of my bike for where I ride it, mostly the track. The stocker's for my ZX's generation absolutely suck as I'm discovering every time I ride it, hence why I feel it's safe to actually upgrade a part of it.

Will I ever on the street? Absolutely not! Our paved roads aren't all super nice, and it takes a real skill to navigate them at my bikes absolute limit. And since I've got more self preservation than a crazy person, I don't feel the need to push its limits there.

azoomm 10-05-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274317)
Full face helmets are more safe than skull caps.

I'm not sure how that applies to the discussion but apparently we are discussing gear choices. :idk:

I'm sorry, I thought you were implying they weren't "safe" on said motorcycle choice. I replied with the safety measures that are taken... Sorry to blind you with a common sense maneuver, I know it can sometimes come out of nowhere. :lol:

Kerry_129 10-05-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 274319)
...this thread is a fucking disaster. :lol:

Who cares, as long as it's fun and avoids productivity?!? :rockwoot:

shmike 10-05-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 274322)
I'm sorry, I thought you were implying they weren't "safe" on said motorcycle choice. I replied with the safety measures that are taken... Sorry to blind you with a common sense maneuver, I know it can sometimes come out of nowhere. :lol:

I was focused on the easier/forgiving powerband issue.

The notion that smaller is always easier / more docile is inaccurate at best.

Check your common sense at the door, lady. This here is a Tigger thread. :lol:

HurricaneHeather 10-05-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274325)

:lol

azoomm 10-05-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

I was focused on the easier/forgiving powerband issue.

:dthumb: :rofl:

Kerry_129 10-05-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Good point, and applies to the 2-fiddy as well. It forces you to work it to maintain momentum, and isn't necessarily easy. And you can still overcook a corner, it's just not as likely to overwhelm a new rider nearly as easily as they're trying to figure out and increase cornering speeds.

Tig - this is what you said in your first post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 273773)
She has been very unsatisfied with the lack of power from the 250 (really, no) and she's tired of getting left behind. I'm really concerned that she is gonna lose it but all I can do is coach...

I can understand where keeping a 250 wound-out all the time gets old, especially considering your flat-land location. It's just the 'get a bike with more power to go faster and not get left behind' thing that jumped out at me. I know you're concerned about her & will do your best to help her stay safe though - hell, she's probably going to be better off than most of us guys jumping on whatever as our first bike and immediately acting like fools & getting in over our heads! :lol:

Any confirmation on whether she's actually lost the money or not? :?:

buzzcutt2 10-05-2009 06:38 PM

You could always just send your girl down here...I ride slow enough for a 250 to keep up.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 274323)
Who cares, as long as it's fun and avoids productivity?!? :rockwoot:

Thankyou!!! Damn, I think that you actually get me Kerry! You've met me, do I seem like someone who cares what other people ride or even what people think? It was raining today and I didn't feel like doing anything so.....:lol: I've been arguing on 3 different forums today since about 10...in between, beating Dell out of a new laptop!!! Beating T-Mobile out of a Samsung Memoir (8 meg camera phone ftw!). I also, broke down and called a couple jobs....bleh! The biggest accomplishment I've managed to pull off is NOT saying that I told you so to my GF! I told her from the start that it was a scam, but like I said she broke me down with text after text of buyer protection this and 100% approval rating that....:idk: I posted it on here to see what everyone here thought but I knew that the chances were slim. The worst thing is that she basically lied to me and told me that she had checked his auction with EBay and they had cleared him, bullshit. Oh well, I feel sorry for her but by Sat afternoon, I had promised to go out and try to find her a good deal on a 600 Mon, she couldn't wait so....:idk: Oh well, by Christmas, she'll have another $4-5000 to spend and then we'll see...

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 274348)
Good point, and applies to the 2-fiddy as well. It forces you to work it to maintain momentum, and isn't necessarily easy. And you can still overcook a corner, it's just not as likely to overwhelm a new rider nearly as easily as they're trying to figure out and increase cornering speeds.

Tig - this is what you said in your first post:

I can understand where keeping a 250 wound-out all the time gets old, especially considering your flat-land location. It's just the 'get a bike with more power to go faster and not get left behind' thing that jumped out at me. I know you're concerned about her & will do your best to help her stay safe though - hell, she's probably going to be better off than most of us guys jumping on whatever as our first bike and immediately acting like fools & getting in over our heads! :lol:

Any confirmation on whether she's actually lost the money or not? :?:

Aw now you've gone and taken all the crazy out of this thread...thanks a lot!!!

Yea maybe, I didn't say it right but she is a gifted rider, seriously. Her corner entry is very good and what little brakes she uses is mostly done for mid corner correction purposes. She is a trail braking bitch!!! If we go through a 35 mph "curvey" section of road she barely touches her brakes and will do them at about 70 mph consistently. To be honest, I need to work with her on her body positioning, she tends to stay on the bike MSF style and just lay it over to get around the corner-mostly okay when your top speed is 90, not so good when it's 160... I'm not exaggerating when I say that the corners are gone on her rear tire.

As far as her money goes, it's hard to say... her Credit Union and Chase (bought Washington Mutual) are working on it.:idk: I'm guessing that it's gone myself.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzcutt2 (Post 274357)
You could always just send your girl down here...I ride slow enough for a 250 to keep up.

Hey I don't leave her, she just knows from riding on the back that I can go a lot faster... I guess that that was a poor choice of words on my part... It's not how I feel about it and she didn't actually say it in that way so...

Kerry_129 10-05-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 274375)
Aw now you've gone and taken all the crazy out of this thread...thanks a lot!!!

My bad.

Any chick that hasn't done at least 50k on a 125cc wound-out at 18-grand is a squidette with an irresponsible assclown for a boyfriend!!! :blah:

Better? :nee:

That sucks if the funds are really gone - you'd think that since it's an electronic transfer which was almost immediately identified as fraudulent, there would be (definitely should be) a way to reverse it.

Amber Lamps 10-05-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 274390)
My bad.

Any chick that hasn't done at least 50k on a 125cc wound-out at 18-grand is a squidette with an irresponsible assclown for a boyfriend!!! :blah:

Better? :nee:

That sucks if the funds are really gone - you'd think that since it's an electronic transfer which was almost immediately identified as fraudulent, there would be (definitely should be) a way to reverse it.

Yea I think things are looking up somewhat, from what I can tell the transfer can be recalled. Also, the guy has sent two more messages saying that the bike has been shipped and he gave her a phone number to call if she has questions... I'm sure that he is trying to prevent any suspicion or buyers remorse with leads me to believe that he's concerned that she'll reverse the transaction. This guy has balls, I emailed him about the bike and he tried to direct me to his EBay auction as well...:lol:

Gas Man 10-06-2009 06:26 PM

So WTF happened with the scam??

i could care a less about the 250 debate...

HurricaneHeather 10-06-2009 06:32 PM

I am honestly not trying to be a jerk about this. But on our CL it says in ginormous bold font right on top: OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT

Is that not on all Sale sections?

marko138 10-06-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 275079)
I am honestly not trying to be a jerk about this. But on our CL it says in ginormous bold font right on top: OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT

Is that not on all Sale sections?

I dont recall seeing that on ours, but to not be able to see this as a scam from a mile away is unbelievable.