Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Both Blinkers blink when i turn on a turn signal (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18270)

Full Throttle 02-15-2011 12:14 PM

Both Blinkers blink when i turn on a turn signal

Okay so i was riding home last night and my buddy was following me in his car. Well when we got home he said that when i turned my blinker on that both of them turned on. I did some investigating and discovered he was correct. However if i turn lets say the left blinker on then its on and really bright. Now the right one turns on as well but is very very dim. But they are LED's so at night even a dim LED looks pretty bright. I checked the wiring and looked followed it all along its path and it doesnt intersect with anything or touch anywhere none of the wiring is corroded or cut. IM kind of stumped on why its doing this. Anyone have an idea or a solution?

goof2 02-15-2011 12:18 PM

Maybe a problem with shorting across the switch on the bars?:shrug:

Full Throttle 02-15-2011 12:24 PM

This is where the blinkers are located.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6082097_n.jpg

Full Throttle 02-15-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 450226)
Maybe a problem with shorting across the switch on the bars?:shrug:

How would i go about locating that problem? dismanteling the whole switch and checking each wire? I really dont want to do that.

I was thinking i check the wiring by the lights for their volts/amps and then find a capacitor or somthing like that or whatever and just splice it in the middle of the wiring. That way it would maybe stop the excess power getting to the other blinker but would still allow the targeted blinker to turn on cause the capacitor wouldnt stop the electricity that would be greater than what the capacitor can handle. Im just shooting in the dark but thats just anidea i had.

askmrjesus 02-15-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Throttle (Post 450221)
However if i turn lets say the left blinker on then its on and really bright. Now the right one turns on as well but is very very dim.

Does the reverse happen if you turn the right blinker on?

JC

Full Throttle 02-15-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 450231)
Does the reverse happen if you turn the right blinker on?

JC

Yea if i turn either blinker on the other also blinks. Granted its very dim, but like i said it looks pretty bright at night since its an LED.

askmrjesus 02-15-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Throttle (Post 450232)
Yea if i turn either blinker on the other also blinks. Granted its very dim, but like i said it looks pretty bright at night since its an LED.

Ok, it sounds like it might be a bad resistor, (the whatever you were talking about earlier).

Most LED set ups require a resistor to limit the amount of power that gets to the LEDs. Depending on how it's wired, a blown (or dying) resistor could cause your problem. Find the resistor, and test it.

I'd also take apart the switch housing (it's just a couple of screws, don't be a pussy) and check for corrosion, ala Goof.

JC

Full Throttle 02-15-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 450236)
Ok, it sounds like it might be a bad resistor, (the whatever you were talking about earlier).

Most LED set ups require a resistor to limit the amount of power that gets to the LEDs. Depending on how it's wired, a blown (or dying) resistor could cause your problem. Find the resistor, and test it.

I'd also take apart the switch housing (it's just a couple of screws, don't be a pussy) and check for corrosion, ala Goof.

JC

Okay yea thats kind of what i was thinking i just didnt know the lingo lol. But ill check into all that after classes today. Thanks JC.

P.S. Dont call me a pussy.

goof2 02-15-2011 02:13 PM

It looks like both L & R side flashers run through the same relay. I'm just guessing, but maybe a short in the relay could be causing it as well.

Papa_Complex 02-15-2011 03:32 PM

I don't suppose that you could scan the wiring diagram, could you? It sounds rather like the ground is being switched, rather than the positive. You wouldn't get a light unless you have a potential difference between the power and ground connection.

Then again it could be a grounding issue. If it's grounded to the rear subframe try moving the ground to the frame, instead. See if that makes a difference. "Ground" isn't always ground.