Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Well, guys and gals, never thought I'd say this... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=22648)

Particle Man 05-12-2015 05:41 PM

Well, guys and gals, never thought I'd say this...

I'm going to be hanging up my helmet for a while. Not permanently (hopefully) but for at least the foreseeable future. Two little ones at home and another due in August have sorta put things in perspective a bit for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still love riding and I'll still ride occasionally if I can but I've had way too many encounters with idiots who are paying less and less attention on the roads around here.

It seems that the smarter cars get, the dumber drivers seem to get... despite riding defensively, I've had way too many close calls over the past year and I want to be there for my wife and kids while they grow up. My wife already wants me to get a bigger bike for touring that she can ride with me once the kids are out of school so that's the goal on the horizon.

No tracks around here to speak of so that isn't an option. Maybe I'll go 100% off-road for a bit just for something different.

Either way, I'll be around :)

Rangerscott 05-12-2015 10:56 PM

Condoms. What are those?

Turbo Ghost 05-13-2015 08:03 PM

Sometimes you just have to step away from riding. I did the same several years ago for about a year or so just because it felt wrong for some reason. I don't argue with the vibes!
As for a bigger bike to tour with, you have a huge variety of bikes to choose from when the time comes!
Any Concours.
ST1100
FJR1300
Vstrom
Super Tenere'
Most cruisers
Tigers
Etc.......

Good luck!

pauldun170 05-14-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 534538)
I'm going to be hanging up my helmet for a while. Not permanently (hopefully) but for at least the foreseeable future. Two little ones at home and another due in August have sorta put things in perspective a bit for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still love riding and I'll still ride occasionally if I can but I've had way too many encounters with idiots who are paying less and less attention on the roads around here.

It seems that the smarter cars get, the dumber drivers seem to get... despite riding defensively, I've had way too many close calls over the past year and I want to be there for my wife and kids while they grow up. My wife already wants me to get a bigger bike for touring that she can ride with me once the kids are out of school so that's the goal on the horizon.

No tracks around here to speak of so that isn't an option. Maybe I'll go 100% off-road for a bit just for something different.

Either way, I'll be around :)

Completely understand.
I dealt with it by limiting my riding to early morning on the weekends. Out the door between 4:30AM and 5:30AM on a Saturday or Sunday and I have the roads to myself. No cars. No cops. Nobody. Only thing I have to worry about is deer in some spots.
I'm usually back home from my ride just in time to make everyone breakfast.
Once I start see more than a handful of cars on the roads I frequent I call it a day.

Occasionally (really rare at this point) I'll go riding during normal hours but usually it's shortlived. I'll return home all disgusted and judgemental of everyone else on the road.

Nowadays, if the temperature is right and its a Saturday or Sunday I will automatically wake up around 3:30AM. I LOVE leaving the house on a summer morning when its pitch black out. Not one car on the road. A little bit into the ride, park and enjoy the sunrise then head back out to enjoy some hijinks.

If I didn't have that option, I would have probably hung my helmet as well.

RACER X 05-14-2015 05:52 PM

gotta do what ya gotta do

i don't ride as much because i p/u the kids everyday from school. and i do activities w/ them on the weekend.

was looking for a sidecar hack to pick them up from school w/, but most people are very proud of their rigs.

keep on keepin on!

Rangerscott 05-14-2015 10:12 PM

Are you going to sell what you have or store it?

Had a friend wreck on our wqy bavk from vacation and he's leaving the two wheel scene. Sucks.

marko138 05-15-2015 10:24 AM

I haven't even got mine out yet this year. I wanted to ride to work today, but yesterday was my daughter's birthday so I didn't have time to get it out and give it the once over.

I really should sell mine. Don't have much desire to ride any more. My daughter said something to my wife last year as I pulled out of the driveway that really got to me, so I think about leaving on the bike and not coming home a lot. It get's to me.

Gas Man 05-20-2015 10:11 AM

That sucks and perhaps understandable...

Trip 05-21-2015 08:08 AM

Yeah, priorities as an adult suck. I haven't ridden much since Lily was born as well. I have definitely slowed my pace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 534557)
Don't have much desire to ride any more. My daughter said something to my wife last year as I pulled out of the driveway that really got to me, so I think about leaving on the bike and not coming home a lot. It get's to me.

It's crazy how much their words mean, mine just said Dada a few weeks ago. Definitely the best thing I have ever heard.

Papa_Complex 05-21-2015 05:57 PM

I have to admit that I've thought about it too, though I don't have any responsibilities beyond myself. I still haven't gotten the bike out this year. I will get it out, but I just won't ride anywhere near as much. When I stared riding there were good, empty roads that I could get to in 20 minutes. Now the roads within an hour are in subdivisions.