Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Winter Sports (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17859)

Porkchop 01-07-2011 09:56 PM

Winter Sports

So, any of you northern folk into winter fun in the snow?

Yesterday was the start of College Thursdays at our local ski park, Mad River Mountain. A 12 hour pass was $25 bucks, and rental was $15. Cheap as fuck. I had been skiing before when I was young, but alot of my friends are into snowbording. They are doing this big cabin/snowboarding/drinking shabang at the start of february, so I thought I would check out this whole snowboarding thing before the trip....

HOLY FUCK is it hard. I slammed all day long. :lol: and I still dont get it! And today I can barely lift my arms above my shoulders, and my abs feel all fucked up. I think I need to go back to skiing. :lol

tallywacker 01-07-2011 10:35 PM

I live right beside Whitetail Ski resort www.skiwhitetail.com

I have a season pass there and have been skiing all my life pretty much. The woman and I just got back from there.

goof2 01-07-2011 10:54 PM

When I lived up North I used to ski, just not as much as I would have liked. I picked up a snowboard sometime in the early 90s and tried it a few times but ultimately went back to skiing. There really wasn't much I liked about it. I especially disliked going back to being an intermediate and the beating it gave my already abused knees. I also hated how often I caught edges and whenever I stopped on the trail I was putting my ass on cold snow. I gave the board to my brother and he hasn't skied since.:shrug:

Porkchop 01-07-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 440203)
I live right beside Whitetail Ski resort www.skiwhitetail.com

I have a season pass there and have been skiing all my life pretty much. The woman and I just got back from there.

That place look much bigger than MRM. > skimadriver.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 440208)
When I lived up North I used to ski, just not as much as I would have liked. I picked up a snowboard sometime in the early 90s and tried it a few times but ultimately went back to skiing. There really wasn't much I liked about it. I especially disliked going back to being an intermediate and the beating it gave my already abused knees. I also hated how often I caught edges and whenever I stopped on the trail I was putting my ass on cold snow. I gave the board to my brother and he hasn't skied since.:shrug:

I think the thing I don't like the most is the feeling of being out of control at all times. I bet I'd get over that with time, but I dont think I ever felt that way with skis. The feeling of speed feels different in that respect. My knees are all bruised and I dont ever remember slamming as hard as I did on my left shoulder. :lol:

derf 01-07-2011 11:12 PM

I snowboard, usually go 3-4 times a year

tallywacker 01-07-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 440212)
I snowboard, usually go 3-4 times a year

That's about how many times I go a week haha

derf 01-07-2011 11:49 PM

Yeh, its always been a 2hour drive for me each way, after a full day or two on the mountain I'm pooped. I used to make the trek up to VT a few times a year but friends have kids and whatever else and now we dont go anymore.

Porkchop 01-08-2011 01:00 AM

Yea, its about an hour drive for me. If its snowing maybe an hour and a half. Now on the way home last night it was icy as fuck. There were cars everywhere. I almost lost it myself going in a straight line. The highway stopped dead from a wreck so I had to take back roads home. It was terrible.

pickle.of.doom 01-08-2011 04:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_aY07AtVg

Here's a vid of my buddy slammin on the virgin run of our homemade snowboard park this year...

racedoll 01-08-2011 09:14 AM

Only skied once in my life several years ago. Did a lot of it on my butt. I'd like to go again, but my winter sport right now is swimming and bicycling (stationary). I am also doing a trail 1/2 marathon next Sunday.